12+

The Three Little Girls and the Big Bad Society.

by TheUnnatural

Once upon a time

there were three little girls.

Each of them interacted with society.

The first one

was called names.

She cut the names

into her body, engraving it

before she died.

The second one was told

to kill herself.

She later jumped off

the pretty bridge and crashed

like waves into the river,

the one near

her house.

The third one was kilt

after rebelling against

society

-pleading them

to stop judging

and hurting.

After

the three little girls died,

society blamed

each other,

then soon forgot

and lived happily ever after.

Elinor565 wrote a review...

You have just succeeded in summing up the evil of society in one short poem. I am totally bowled over. I liked the style, and the way you sort of subtly mock fairy tales. One question though. Why did you spell 'killed' as 'kilt'? Was this deliberate?
Anyway, good job.

Wolfi wrote a review...

Happy Review Day!
This is a very interesting poem you've got here... but I like it! I'm not much of a poem reviewer, but I'll try for Review Day! Go Reviewlution!

like waves into the river,

the one near

her house.

The last two lines here just seem a little odd and irrelevant.

and lived happily ever after.

This and "once upon a time" at the beginning are great additions. Though this is a realistic poem, these two lines and the title turn it into a fairytale.
Great job! I love your title and the entire poem. There aren't any more errors to critique you on.

TheUnnatural says...

Hey thanks :)

Depressing, but accurate. The last bit in particular is extremely dark, but it's true. And because it's true I like that you use the "happily ever after" of fairytales but use it for society instead of the fairytales MCs as usually happens.

I would like a little more vivid imagery from this, though. Take a look at the first stanza vs the second, for example:

She cut the names
into her body, engraving it

vs

She later jumped off
the pretty bridge and crashed
like waves into the river

Like crashing like waves is an alright image, but "jumped off/the pretty bridge" is a bit weak, especially since "pretty" is not very descriptive. It doesn't add much.

I'd also like to see this actually broken up into stanzas--it reads more easily, breaks your poem into groups by idea, and you can place more emphasis on specific lines by putting them by themselves. Basically, breaking up the poem can add more depth. As a starting point, I would just break it up with each girl's story in a separate stanza.

But I think this is an important poem, and the ending was especially a jab to the audience because the happy ending belongs to the people who caused the deaths.

Blue

TheUnnatural says...

Thanks a lot for the helpful review :) I'll definitely revise my work before posting it next time haha

Nargles wrote a review...

Hey, this is really good and I hope I can leave a good review that will help improve your writing.

I like the idea behind this, I really do, and whilst it is simple it still evokes some sort of emotion. However, I do feel that you can really paint a wonderful image and evoke even more emotion.
Of course this is all up to you, and you can keep it simple, short and abrupt but still give more of a story to it. This can be done by adding more imagery and some figurative language.

I do really like this poem and I don't mind the formatting of it, the enjambment works well most of the time, but I do feel that having only one word on a line doesn't really work.

All in all it is a good poem, and for the first one you have shared I feel as if you have done an excellent job.
Keep writing
Nargles xxx

TheUnnatural says...

Thanks so much, I will revise this :) Your comments were really helpful, thanks.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:59 am
MBrooks wrote a review...

I think this is kind of childishly written. Also, 'killed' not 'kilt' Hee hee
This work needs editing. Your enjambement isall over the place and it doesn't make sense why you have cut the lines where you have. THis disrupts the reading experience for the reader and I found it quite awkward.
I understand the message you're trying to put across and the style you're doing it in, but it is dire need of some editing because there a few issues with the ideas such as:
'She later jumped off

the pretty bridge and crashed'
i won't criticise the fact that this piece is really miserable because of the subject matter, but I think you coul dhave used a cheerier image if ya know what I mean. It's still really good, but make the lines longer by combining them and just get this in one piece more.
Editing time. XDD

TheUnnatural says...

hey yea thanks I know this need a lot of editing :) I just wrote it in the middle of the night and didn't revise it, and posted it straight there. Thanks!

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:25 am
Maia wrote a review...

Hey! I really liked this poem, it's really sad but beautifull at the same time. The title, the first line 'Once upon a time' and the last line " and lived happily ever after" makes it sound like a fairytale type story- Goldilock's and the three bears. The only sugestion I would make is to put each girls' story into a different stanzas so that it's not one long big tirade. I also noticed that when you start withe third girl you write " The third one was kilt" , shouldn't this be " The third one was killed" ? Although you might have done this delibaretly so...
I also like the rythm that is very stop-starty, usually I don't like these poems as much but it really suits the style of your poem.
I also really like the simile: " and crashed
like waves into the river"
So the second girl becomes part of the river. The ending is really sad but kinda true. Keep writing! I'm looking forward to reading more of your works!

TheUnnatural says...

yay thank you so much, I know it's a bit of awkward and there are a few spelling mistakes :P And I don't know what I was doing with that word "killed" hahaha

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:42 am
Mynameswriter wrote a review...

This was interesting. I barely understood this. You didn't paint a nice picture. You drew a sketch for this but not a beautiful picture. you needed more detail in this and to explain this a lot more. i also noticed i wasn't the only one who couldn't follow. so you should edit this and then i'm sure it'll be a lot better and more satisfactory. Don't take this as an offense because were all here to help each other. I know this could be amazing if you put forward the effort. Have fun with it!

lostthought says...

*starts to cough violently* Definitely a new member. What did you have trouble understanding because I had no issues understanding. Plus, I think it was suppose to be vague not a pretty story about three girls who died.

TheUnnatural says...

Hey thanks lostthought :) I know it's not the best poem, I wrote it in the middle of the night when I suddenly came up with this idea and didn't revise it much before posting it. But thanks for telling me that it
could be amazing if you put forward the effort

Minjeong says...

Really good poem! Hope you keep writing!!

tonytwo says...

lol i got lost wayyyyyyy in the begining.

Nargles says...

Why did you get lost? If you are going to comment about how you either don't like it or don't understand it tell the writer why. I'm sure they will be happy to help and give you some guidance. Also try and be a bit nicer when you comment, someone has put in the effort to write a piece and has been brave enough to post it, so please respect that and be nice to them. Thank you xxx

tonytwo says...

nonono you got it wrong, i did not say it was bad. Just "I" myself couldn't keep up with it.

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi