12+

Episode 1: Leaving London Behind

by Renard

BASED ON TRUE EVENTS

1

Moving your life is always going to be problematic. Especially when you are leaving behind everything you know.

"This is going to be great I promise you," those were dad's exact words. But what did he know? He wasn't the one leaving his friends and other family members behind. He wasn't the one who had no say in making all the major decisions. In fact, dad didn't even seem to know where he was going.

"Bloody hell," a stream of profanity followed as he assaulted the sat nav.

"Calm down dear, we'll use the map," mum insisted, as she grappled with the sheet of paper covered in lines.

"Are we nearly there yet?" That was my brother, Frankie, whining, as per usual. You would think by the age of thirteen he would be mature enough to stop repeating that childish question. Apparently not.

"Should be there soon." Dad had said the same thing an hour ago, when the sat nav had started to repeatedly tell him to: "Turn left at the next exit" which lead to a restaurant called: "Dirty Joe's."

What was funnier than the name however, was the blatant fact that dad was lost, which everyone had realised, and he still refused to admit.

"Are you quite sure this is the way George?" mum asked as we passed the same statue of a soldier for the third time. Dad had been frantically checking the road signs. "Yes, yes of course," he replied dismissively.

Famous. Last. Words.

~

Three hours later we found ourselves, tired and grumpy, standing outside our new home. A giant, white brick affair located in the middle of what was essentially a field. There were others houses around the adjacent "streets." In a way it was ironic, because mum had joked about being situated in the back of beyond and "loving it." I wasn't so sure about the latter.

"Is this it?" Frankie asked bluntly.

"Yes it is." Dad sounds rather defensive about it. Maybe it was the journey? Or maybe it was the fact that our new home was situated next to a field full of cows?

"Welcome to Rose Lodge!" The announcement was not appreciated by anyone, particulary Frankie, as Dad ruffled his hair whilst making his way up the driveway to the front door. It seemed he still thought Frankie was about seven years old. I mean, it wasn't difficult given the tantrum he'd showcased upon the announcement we were moving.

Half an hour of yelling, swearing, repetition of the word "no" and door slamming later he had come to terms with the fact we were leaving London behind. Mum had insisted it would be a great start for all of us. She was saying the same thing now: "Do you want to come and explore your new home?" her smile seemed genuine, but it was difficult to tell through the months of false effort she had put into it. Mum hadn't wanted to move. She was a city girl, not a country bumpkin. Trading up concrete for cow pat was never going to work.

"This is a new start..." here we go again. I switched off as she began yet another recital about the rural opportunities awaiting us. I didn't care about any of that. The upshot was, I didn't want to be there, the upshot was I wanted to go home. And this wasn't home.

Eventually, mum got bored of talking to no one and lead Frankie inside. That left me alone, by the car, wondering whether we were going to be any better off in this new house.

~

And the answer to that question came quickly in the form of a very vehement: NO!

"It doesn't work," mum said for about the eighth time.

"Yes I know that Marie, I'm trying to fix it." Dad was growling now, as he stood face to face with a stubborn boiler that he had been tampering with. It didn't work. It hadn't worked since we had arrived. Which meant we didn't have any heating; which was most unhelpful given the temperature couldn't have been much above ten degrees.

"I wish you would just leave it alone Harry, before the thing blows up in your face and we're not insured."

"Wouldn't you be more concerned that we'd all be blown to bits? As opposed to the insurance," I chipped in.

My moment of comedy was ignored in favour or mum and dad bickering about how would call the gas company and when. In the meantime, Frankie had skulked off to examine his new room. Upon arrival, he had called dibs on the warmer room of the two, a decision he had quickly come to regret when he realised it was also the smallest room.

On the contrary, my bedroom was a grim experience indeed. From the walls, to the carpet to the ceilings to the skirting board, the whole lot was painted grey. With grey accessories and extra grey. It was like being in a slab of concrete. Fortunately, since the delivery people had failed to deliver the furniture, we were sleeping on the floor with the emergency sleeping bags mum had insisted we pack. She always knew best. I just hoped she was right about her inclinations of the better live that awaited us in our igloo. I mean, "house."

~

Wooden floors are not made for sleeping on. My back started complaining about ten minutes after I heard the slow puncture of my "bed" deflating. The wooden boards were now my mattress. Deciding to sleep downstairs in the same room to "share body heat" seemed like one of dad's better ideas at the time. He was wrong. So, so wrong.

"Fancy bringing us to a house with no heating, no hot water and no beds, if this were a hotel we would leave." Frankie had not stopped complaining.

I felt like telling him to shut up and go to sleep; but it wasn't worth the argument of me telling him what to do. Once I had adjusted to the lumpy pain in my spine, staring at the ceiling and shivering in my thin t - shirt the situation didn't look as bad. No, I was starting to think positively.

The next day, our belongings would arrive, the boiler would be fixed and this new place would start to feel like some sort of home. Yes, that would be it, I thought as I drifted to sleep. This wasn't looking so bad after all.

As for what happened next, I have no idea how much time passed between the time of my last ever positive thinking moment, and the event of me opening my eyes and screaming as a giant, black, hairy spider crawled towards my face. I leaped to my feet, creating a wave of protest from mum, dad and Frankie who had surrounded me; as I ran dramatically from the room shaking my shoulders and brushing myself down. I hated spiders. I hated the cold. And I hated the countryside.

Upon reflection, I hated a lot. Most of all, I hated the fact that I was starting to turn into a whiny git like my brother. Ah well, countryside one, Emily nil. It was only the first day. Things would get better.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

This was......interesting. The beginning of this episode, however, is a little too cliche. I mean, you don't NEED to start with saying that moving is really difficult because you're leaving everything behind. You could think up more creative lines, so as to engae the attention of your readers.

And work on punctuation. Aside from that, it's fine! Keep writing.

Mysticalxx

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:18 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey BiSF!

So I'll focus more on the story since all the nitpicks were covered.

Moving is never any fun! :( By the way this was formed at the beginning, I thought they were moving from the US to London. But it's vise versa. Unless they are still in London? ou didn't really say where they moved to, just that it was in the country. Although now that I think about it, I see that you meant it was still in London. That clears things up xD

This is off to a good start! Nothing to exciting yet, since they're barely settling in and unpacking and such. I look forward to how the narrator will react to her school and classmates and all that jazz. I can already tell she is pessimistic and beyond angry at her confused, lost father xD like seriously, he doesn't even know how to get to their new house?! Smooooth. xD

I'm off to read chapter two. Nice start, love!

~

MasterGrieves wrote a review...

Hola! It is I, 567ajt, your lovely fiancée, here to review the first of (hopefully) many episodes of your novel, entitled Hinterland. The use of the term "hinterland" is accurate, as this family- which appears to be rather dysfunctional- is moving into a coastal area of boredom and deprivation. Your narrator is sly, sarcastic, and full of dry wit common in your other works. This reminds me of family sitcoms such as My Family, but I imagine this one to be a bit ruder and more satirical of life on the coast and in the countryside.

Your narration really shines through in the following sections:

Now, this section is one which I am sure many people are familiar with. In a way, this foreshadows the lack of cohesion the family will experience as a result of moving. This is a really funny section too; I can see the sat nav as a recurring trope of trouble and comedy. The casualness of the narration showcases how Emily is used to things like this happening, which implies the unluckiness of her family.

Dad sounds rather defensive about it. Maybe it was the journey? Or maybe it was the fact that our new home was situated next to a field full of cows?

The last line is offbeat, and really dry. I like how the narrator is setting up the problems for future episodes. I can imagine a section where the characters complain about the smell of cow poop. That would be hilarious XDD. This is hilarious, especially in the sarcasm of the narration. That is the selling point at the moment.

Ahhh, but judging by the lack of luck already displayed in this episode, will things actually get better? ;)

This is an exciting piece, made even more exciting with the fact that you intend to write follow ups, into a novel. :D YAY! -hugs-

Great job, hun. This should get way more reviews.

I love you. <3

:)

rawrafied wrote a review...

Nice start to this story/chapter. Moving as a child is definitely something most people can relate to. I liked the direction and continuity of your second paragraph: moving from questioning what the father knew to the satiric, ending line of his road skills. xD

Nice speech tag. Like the modern term 'sat nav'. Also, I like how you showed us their country of origin by terms like 'bloody hell' and 'mum', rather than blatantly stating it.

"Are we nearly there yet?"
This is me being picky, but I feel like 'nearly' makes this a little too formal and doesn't flow as right as it would if you omitted it.

You would think by the age of thirteen he would be mature enough to stop repeating that childish question.
'By the age of thirteen' is a preposition of more than three words, so put commas around it.

...as he assaulted the sat nav... . ...as she grappled with the sheet of paper covered in lines... . ...Dad had been frantically checking the road signs...
Not criticizing anything here. Just my ten cents on a personal assessment of your characters. I actually sympathize a bit with the dad and can't entirely blame him for his lack of direction. When I do long trips, I was always taught that who ever rides shot gun is in charge of the GPS/map so that the driver is free of distraction to focus solely on the road. So, technically, I'd blame the mother here. ;P

When you have a quote for a new speaker, you need to start a new paragraph.

Three hours later we found ourselves, tired and grumpy, standing outside our new home. A giant, white brick affair located in the middle of what was essentially a field.
The second sentence is not a complete sentences and works more like a concluding thought to the first. Would suggest changing the first period to a colon.

Dad sounds rather defensive about it.
Tense change, should be 'sounded'.

Mum had insisted it would be a great start for all of us. She was saying the same thing now: "Do you want to come and explore your new home?" her smile seemed genuine, but it was difficult to tell through the months of false effort she had put into it. Mum hadn't wanted to move. She was a city girl, not a country bumpkin.
I felt like the conclusion could've been transitioned better. The way you initially describe her, it seems she's very genuine. I wish you could show us more how the main character came to realize that she wasn't genuine. Perhaps by showing some Freudian slips?

Trading up concrete for cow pat was never going to work.
Liked this sentence.

Loved this jump of thoughts from him getting injured to them not being insured. xD And glad to see you have the MC comment on this.

...was ignored in favour or mum and dad bickering about how...
Should be 'of' instead of 'or' and 'who' instead of 'how'.

...of the better live that...
'Life' instead of 'live'.

Wooden floors are not made for sleeping on.
Nice start to a new paragraph/section.

...my thin t - shirt ...
Hyphens don't like spaces.

I leaped to my feet, creating a wave of protest from mum, dad and Frankie who had surrounded me; as I ran dramatically from the room shaking my shoulders and brushing myself down. I hated spiders.
Misuse of semi-colon. You use semi-colons between two sentences that work to complement one another. In this instance, you should use a comma.

Upon reflection, I hated a lot.
Lol. Glad she admitted it. xD

Overall, an interesting piece and nicely written. Hope this was helpful~~~! ^_^

WillowPaw1 wrote a review...

Hello there! WillowPaw1 to review!

This was really good, there were some points though where I kind of blanked out. That was the only big situation I had with actually liking and focusing on the story, though.

You brought me in well. This is a good attention grabber, and it's not boring at the beginning. Great job.

One thing: make sure you mention this character's name in the next chapter or so. You don't want to be reading 5 chapters and not knowing was his/her name is.

The dialogue seemed fairly realistic. "Are we there yet?" Definitely realistic—this is asked by many kids and children.

I found a couple nitpicks.

"This is going to be great I promise you," those were dad's exact words

After great, there should be a comma. Also, dad should be capitalized. You forgot to capitalize Dad and Mum in a lot of places. I won't point them out, but just remember they're everywhere.

"Yes I know that Marie, I'm trying to fix it." Dad was growling now, as he stood face to face with a stubborn boiler that he had been tampering with.

After "yes" there should be a comma.

Overall, this was a great story! Keep writing!! <3

~ WillowPaw1

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing