12+

Elementárni ~ 1.1 *adjusted*

by Pompadour

~*~

Chapter One:

Bangcracker

Rule Number One: Caustics always do things in threes.

*

The cold had a serpentine quality to it that night. 

It slid through the streets, its fluid, cursive movements a bane to all those unlucky enough to be outside. It is a strange observation, really, that no matter how hard the wind blew, it could not succeed in toppling the houses over. As it was, brick and glass seemed to huddle together on the edge of the streets. One could almost hear them moan.

Dolls against the pavement ... that was what the people were like tonight. Garbed in warm clothes—furs, wind-breakers, jackets in bright colours—they slid and skidded over the sleet. Shivering. Shivering like dancing skeletons. One by one, they disappeared into their houses. The sun dipped over the horizon, a galleon that sent colours and colours and colours splaying across the snow.

A man was going to be murdered that night. There would be blood. There would be pain. There would be screaming. The street did not know of this, in its chilly stupor, and neither did its inhabitants. But I choose to divulge this fact right now, so you shall not be surprised. Don't worry: there shall be plenty to be surprised about later. But for now, I choose to coax you into the story instead of glueing you to your seat, or grabbing you roughly by the collar. Blackmail is not an option either. Roughness has never been my style, apart from in battle, and for now I only ask of you this one, tiny favour:

To read on.

╛WARNING ONE

A crow squawked, somewhere in the distance, being pushed along by the wind as if being punished for its daring—a flash of feathery black against the grey skies. In the stark, pale silence, there were no voices. A solitary figure traipsed and tripped over the sleet on the road: a man who was either immensely brave, immensely hopeful, or just immensely stupid to be braving the harsh weather.

His name was Thomas Heaney, and you would do well to remember that, for he is one of our first characters in the story, and he is one of those poor souls whose lives end on tragic, hang-nail notes. I beseech you to not get attached to him. Developing attachments is always a dangerous thing, both for the reader and the writer. It is especially dangerous when said characters must undergo suffering, but suffering will always be undergone no matter what, and experiences experienced. Heaney would probably choose to debate the matter, but sadly, he has no say in the running of fate.

He was having a very bad day to begin with anyway.

‘Stupid wind,’ he muttered, hands digging deep into his pockets. ‘Stupid wind and stupid gust. Stupid cold.’

It appears as though Heaney also held a fondness for the word: “stupid.”

The old odd-job man sighed, eyes passing swiftly over the trees. Skeletal structures draped in lacy, white frost, their tapered fingers tapped against the walls of the houses. It was like a graveyard, Heaney thought. The houses looked like tombstones. Doors locked, shutters closed. The cold rapped mournfully against their windows, begging to be let in.

‘Seems it’s only me that’s foolish ‘nough to be out here tonight,’ Heaney said softly. The streets echoed with the sound of the bitter wind whistling. The abandoned pub too, at the edge of the colony, made it seem like a ghost-town. Yet Heaney wandered around, seemingly aimless, feet thump-thumping against the ground. He needed to find work. He needed to earn money. He needed to get home with a couple of pounds in his pockets. A man with a mantra: that was what he was. He grumbled about the cold as he walked, plunging his hands in his coat pockets as deep as they would go.

‘S’ all because of that dratted global warming,’ he said dully. ‘Though what’s so warm about it, I don’t really know.’ He kicked at the snow, frowning, counting his breaths as they rose in smoky puffs before him.

‘Broken pipes, clogged drains, shattered tiles or a hole in the ceiling!’ he called—or muttered, rather—as he shuffled along the sidewalk, head bent low against the cold. ‘Will fix anything but broken bones and broken homes!’ On a normal day, Heaney thought wistfully, he'd be smiling a crooked smile as he sang his song. A man by the Westside--Heaney suspected he was a poet--had told him once that his face was like a weathered tree-trunk in the middle of August, but with hope shining past the wear and tear of a life that has been thoroughly lived in.

'You look like you have nothing but good days,' the man had said, crushing a cigarette beneath the sole of his boot. 'Nothing but good days.'

Now, though, Heaney couldn't help but think bitterly of how poets these days needed to visit the optician more often. He sighed heavily. His wife and kids would be growing worried—and he hated to return to them empty-handed—but night was approaching fast and it was clear to him that he wouldn’t be finding any work tonight.

‘Time to be going home,’ he muttered to himself, flexing his ungloved fingers in a futile attempt to get rid of the stiffness.

As he turned around to make his way back down the street, Heaney saw a tall, striking-looking figure headed his way. The man was walking stiffly, almost as if his arms had been pinned to his sides, and his hands were deep in his pockets. He was wearing a black trench-coat—it stood out starkly against the snow—and his dark hair had been swept up by the wind. His gaze was even and calculating and his eyes were a piercing blue. A flash of recognition cartwheeled through Heaney’s consciousness, and he realized that he had seen this person before.

It was the Poet-man.

╟ WARNING TWO

Heaney scrunched his face up at the memory of him, that of his pale face and searching gaze, looking out at him through one of the windows of number twenty one. The expression he wore was almost curious, although he disappeared into the shadows as soon as he noticed Heaney looking at him. He'd met the man again as he was painting Mrs Smith's fence, when he'd strolled up to him casually and made small talk, as well as the poetic statement that had stuck in Heaney's mind. His face was not the kind you could forget easily either, Heaney thought, because while it was unblemished and as white as the snow that huddled up by the fences, it was marred by pain—the raw kind that is obvious to even the most ignorant of men. Heaney had taken to calling the man Poet-man in his head, and nodded at him politely as he passed.

‘Bit taters this evening, ain’t it, sir?’ he said.

Poet-man stopped in his tracks, and stared at Heaney, as though surprised that the odd-job man had spoken to him—no, that he remembered him. His expression was inscrutable, and snow flaked in fluffy heaps on his shoulders. He was as cold and detached as the weather, Heaney couldn’t help thinking, which was strange, considering he'd been ... not friendly exactly, but not unkind either ... to Heaney two months ago. His spirits fell. The people here generally treated him like dirt, and he didn't see why the Poet-man shouldn't do the same. Still, he took advantage of this man’s silence to say, ‘Anythin’ you need fixing today, sir?’

‘No,’ Poet-man said abruptly—rudely, Heaney thought. 'But I need you to tell me—have you by any chance seen a woman come by this way? She’s pale, tall, and was probably wearing clothing that doesn’t look at all warm enough for this weather. A couple of men may have been with her, too. And they’d have probably headed for there, the house with the griffin on the lawn.’ He was speaking hastily now, the words tripping off his lips, and he nodded at the large, palatial house at the end of the street.

Heaney turned his head slightly until he could see the glistening white address plate, black letters standing out boldly against its surface. Number 21. It was by far the most magnificent looking of all the houses he had seen in the area so far, and also the most mysterious looking. He squinted at the house now, trying to see past the snow. The wrought-iron gates were shut and the statue of a Griffin was just visible through the bars, standing proudly on the front lawn like a guard. A pretty eccentric lawn ornament for the new millennium. Heaney had thought people would prefer garden gnomes. Poet-man cleared his throat expectantly, and Heaney realised that he’d spaced out, completely forgetting to answer his question.

‘No, sir,’ Heaney said, ‘I haven’t seen anyone.’ And it was perfectly true. He had arrived at this street almost an hour ago, and had only seen two people outside so far: the man who lived at number sixteen (and who had run into his house like he was being chased by frostbite demons), and the blue-eyed man who stood before him now. His face had fallen upon hearing Heaney’s response, and his eyes darkened considerably. So Heaney asked,

‘Why? Didja have a meeting with them or somethin‘’?

Poet-man laughed hollowly. ‘Meeting? You could call it that. Except that these people don’t exactly have an appointment.’ He had muttered that last bit underneath his breath, and Heaney had had to strain his ears to catch it.

Heaney nodded, not exactly understanding what the man meant by that. ‘Good luck with tha‘, then, sir. I’d best be on my way.’ And he made his way down the street again. The other man hadn’t even bothered to deign him with a reply and he just stood there, motionless, staring at the large house at the end of the street.

‘There will be three warnings. We do not deal lightly.’

Poet-man’s voice sounded robotic, wired. He spoke clearly but he still hadn’t turned around. Since there was no one else there, Heaney looked back over his shoulder and said, ‘Yessir, you talking to me?’

‘No,’ said the man—confusedly, it seemed. ‘But— if I am, then … do me a favour,’ he said suddenly. ‘When you hear a loud sound—a loud sound, you got me?—don’t run to the police. The neighbours will hear and they’re so paranoid they’d dial 999 even if a frog croaked from underneath their staircase. An ambulance will arrive, the West Midlands police. People will gather round and there’ll be confusion, but don’t leave. And when you’re questioned, tell them it was a drunk with a rifle, but you couldn’t see his face. Understood?’ He had turned around now, and his eyes were blazing fiercely. Heaney was pretty sure now that the Poet-man was crazy. He was talking absolute rubbish.

Back away, Heaney, he told himself. Back away slowly.

He didn’t voice his uncertain thoughts out loud, though, and said instead, ‘OK.’

‘Good,’ Poet-man said, apparently satisfied. ‘And if anyone asks, you were only hired today, and were supposed to start work tomorrow. I met you outside; you didn’t come in. My name is Bernard Mason, and I’m a doctor. I live at number twenty-one. What will you tell them?’ he demanded, crisp and business-like again.

‘Yer a doctor, sir, Bernard Mason, livin‘ at number twenty-one. You hired me today, I don’t know you well, hadn’t started work yet. It was a—a drunk but I couldn’t see his face.’ Heaney was trying hard now not to mix up the facts.

‘Good, good,’ Poet-man—Bernard Mason—repeated distractedly. ‘What was your name again?’

It was the tip of Heaney’s tongue to respond with a: You never asked me my name in the first place, but just then Mason pulled a wallet from his pocket and quickly handed him a sheaf of fifty pound notes. Heaney’s eyes almost popped out of his eyes as he took it, and he rubbed the paper-money between his thumb and index-finger as though making sure it was real. Perhaps if he had been less distracted by the green sheaf of paper he now clutched in his hands, he would have taken a better look at Mason’s hands. But he didn’t see the way Mason gingerly put his hands back in his pockets, or that this was the first time he had actually taken his hands out of his pockets at all! His fingertips were red and burnt, and there was a red tattoo of a sun on his wrist. Heaney held a fifty pound note up at arm’s length, and then brought it closer. Satisfied that the money was real, he smiled widely.

‘The name’s Brian Heaney, sir,’ Heaney said, his respect for the man having gone up by several notches. ‘And—and I won’t let you down either, sir.’

Bernard Mason smiled wryly.

‘The greatest forms of bravery are often insane,’ he said. Then he turned and walked towards the large house, leaving Heaney struggling to comprehend the meaning behind his strange words. He watched him go; his figure getting smaller until he was a black puppet-figure down the long street, standing in front of the wrought-iron gates and waiting—but for what? Heaney wondered, frowning slightly; he stood, motionless, clutching at his money but not taking his eyes off the man.

Several seconds passed by, and Bernard Mason just stood there. He raised his fingers to his temples and—Heaney could have sworn he’d seen it happened—his eyes flashed gold, but only for a second. He quickly lowered his hand, face scrunched up in pain. Heaney couldn’t make out the expression he wore, but if he could’ve taken a stab at it, he’d have said it was something between fear and submission. He watched as, slowly, Mason placed his hand on the padlocked gates and pulled out a ring of keys. He had barely opened the gates and taken a step past them that it happened.

A loud crack ripped through the air like the sound of thunder, splaying the skies apart. Heaney could only watch, open-mouthed, as Bernard Mason fell.

~End of Part One~ 

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:13 am
Wolfi says...

YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD WRITER, POMP!!! :o that was beautiful... The descriptions and everything, wow.

Pompadour says...

Aww, thank you!

Pompadour says...

Aww, thank you!

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

I've finally made it! Heyo, Pomp ~

Well. This is difficult with what you have here and aaaall those other review below here, but if you don't mind, I'll say what I noticed, even if these things were mentioned below or not (and geeze are these tiny things.)

There are so many things I could gush over, because everyone knows your writing is fantastic and almost everything I've got is nit-picky. But some things I really like are your descriptions. I can definitely see that poetic imagery in there, and well, that's just your style. It was really nice and full and for the most part, I could get a really clear image in my head.

That being said, there were some parts which felt too loaded. The focus seemed to drift around a lot, and it created a mysterious mood a lot of the time, but there were some details that were dragged out a little too much, so they turned dull. Such as mentioning how freezing it was over and over. I can understand it being your style if writing, but maybe tone is down just a tad in some spots?

Other spots seemed to jump all over the place (or maybe I'm just too oblivious to see the relation, since that's happened before).

The abandoned pub too, at the edge of the colony, made it seem like a ghost-town.

Right before here, it was mentioned the entire town seemed like a graveyard. Or maybe was it the street? Either way, this is were there was some slight redundancy that I noticed in particular. I stopped for a moment as well to think, "Since when was there a pub there? I didn't notice any mention of a pub." There didn't really seem much of a reason to have that sentence there.

Another thing that occurs to me is that all of this happens on one street, correct? Or is a tangled web of them that Heaney wandered across to find the work he seemed to desperately needed? Of course, the town itself must be larger, but how long can he walk in this one direction. This can be another effect of heavily loading a work with description, is how things slow down. That's not always a bad thing, but once again, Heaney can't walk down this one street forever, can he?

Everything else I could say is stylistic preference, and your style is gorgeous just the way it is, so that concludes any criticism I could scrap together. Now, I really loved how you intertwined the narrator with the story, casually mentioning their opinions without ruining the flow. Once again, I could spend hours going on about how perfect your beginning was in setting the dreary scene and dragging us into your world, but I've got the next parts to read ^^ Hope I helped, even the slightest! Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

Pompadour says...

Thank you for this, Wolf! I completely agree that the description is too heavy; I'll get to editing it soon. ^^ I don't really think it's so much style than anything else, but this was when my novel was in its initial stages and I had no idea where I was going. XD

BUT YOU ARE RIGHT AND THIS HELPS SO MUCH THANK YOU

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:51 am
Sonder says...

Oh my gosh Pomp. That was stunning. That was absolutely amazing. I'm in love. <3
I'm not going to review this because enough people have, but I just adore this. When I got a few paragraphs in, I knew it was a winner. What else to expect, coming from you? :)
The whole thing was so mysterious and the sense of pressure as the detail and suspense grew...It's beautiful. You are a master.
I'll shut up now, and keep reading. XP
~Night

Pompadour says...

You flatter me, but thaaaank you. <33

Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:50 pm
ReyaMedrek wrote a review...

hey, this was a great story so far but I got only a few issues:

1> "Dolls against the pavement ... that was what the people were like tonight."Maybe these two should be switched like "The people outside tonight were like dolls against the pavement."

2> Take the first "Shivering." out.

3> You said "as if being punished for its daring" but what daring?

Other then those few things I really liked this. <3<

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested :)

The cold had a serpentine quality to it that night. Snakelike. Shifty.

These three sentences should really be combined into one. In the first sentence, it's described that the cold has a "serpentine quality". Then the next two sentences basically reiterate what was just said. So it's a bit repetitive. Maybe a semi-colon or a colon would work well after the first sentence. Just so it'll all flow together better instead of just seeming like three sentences talking about the same thing.

Dolls against the pavement. That was what the people were like tonight.

Again, these two should probably be combined. Now, the first sentence really fits the flow and the overall feel of the beginning of the chapter. But from a stand point of understanding, it doesn't work. When I first read the sentence, I thought there were literal dolls in the street. I had to stop for a moment and really think about it. Then when I moved onto the next sentence, it made sense to me. That's why I think they should be linked together. It'll help clarify the metaphor.

It is wise to

at least, not if we were to judge

I've been trying to make sense of this switch between tenses as I'm reading. At first I thought it was a mistake on your part, sorry :3. Then I thought it was the narrator retelling the story to us so we're in the present time and the story took place in the past. But here, however, it's not consistent. If it is wise to to suppose, then it should be "not if we are to judge. At least, I think. To be honest, it's all boggling my mind a bit. I'm trying to make sense of it. Hopefully you understand what I'm saying here because I'm not totally sure I do xD (and it's these kind of situations where Noelle fails at reviewing xD)

The street did not know of this,

Now I'm just being nitpicky, but I really want to point this out. In the paragraph before the line this one is in, it's mentioned that the streets could not foresee the events, which is the same thing as knowing, basically. It's repetitive to see this same statement such a small distance from each other.

he said, fiddling with the sparse threads of his scarf.

He just put his hands into his pockets a in the sentence before this one ;)

Wow. This is very well written. Except for the nitpicks I pointed out already, there's nothing else I think you can improve upon. Your style is consistent and it's obvious that you have a clear plan for how this story is going to be presented. You have the narrator, who is telling us this story in present day, and then you have the characters that are actually living the story in the past. I'm not a huge fan of being "told" a story as I'm reading, through a narrator such as this for example, but it's not as predominate (is that the right word?? Probably not...) here. We can tell by the first section that the narrator is not in the story, but is rather telling the story. Once First Warning comes along though, we're only reminded of this narrator once or twice when he adds his own comments. So despite me not being a big fan of that kind of narration, I think it absolutely works in this situation.

I like the history that Heaney and Bernard share. I was reading through this and when I first came across the mention of Bernard -- the poet-man -- I was a bit weary. Why exactly was he in the story? And what did he have to do with Heaney? By the end though, it all made sense. It had to be that the two of them had run into each other earlier on in their lives because why else would Heaney agree to do such a job? Sure if a stranger paid him that much money, he'd do anything they asked. But it's this previous meeting with Bernard that makes Heaney that much more willing to do the job.

We don't really get to see the fantasy aspect of this novel until the very last lines. I found that very interesting. Usually fantasy novels start out fantasy, stay fantasy, and end fantasy. This one starts off like any other normal story. There was nothing that led me to believe that this was a fantasy piece. Until the end when that loud noise happened when Bernard opened the gates. Now you've got me wondering exactly what's going on and what made that noise.

Well, there isn't much left for me to say. To be honest, I really had to stretch to find something to talk about. And even then it's all really just praise. I enjoyed reading this very much. Like I said, it's very well written and I can see a clear path of storytelling here. Very good!

I'll head over to the next part soon :)

**Noelle**

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 am
AutumnKayArden wrote a review...

Heloha! To start of, I'd say that you have done a wonderful job of writing this out. You are a great author! :D

I like how the Poet-man doesn't directly tell Mr. Heaney that he is going to be shot. The way you phrased it really adds a lot to the new mystery.

I love how you thrown in a connection between the sun (gold eyes and burnt hands beside the tatoo) and Mr. Mason. It leaves us the readers curious. Good job!

Yes, it seems that we are often blinded of the suffering of others by our own greed. I definitely agree with that bit.

I really like how you introduced us to Mr. Heaney, too! Brilliant!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this part even if it is just the beginning! Keep brain-storming! :D
(Storm is my gamer name. It's a pun. Laugh now. Jk I'm not funny)
-AKA out-

Pompadour says...

Aah, I just saw this. >.>
Thank you for the review! :D

Deanie says...

Hey Pompy!

Whoa, that was an amazing read. It was wonderful, fantastic and I am left loving every single word you wrote. Really. I am not just trying to inflate your ego because it was a great read :) I think you have such an amazing style and you use the language so well. I am not usually a fan of books that start with building up the setting but I think you handled it well and it was still interesting. The beginning was intriguing and coaxed me right in. And the introduction was a clever way of helping do so ;)

I wonder, how did he get to know the Poet-man before if he never worked on the house? Did he meet him on the street or so? I was just a little confused. So, it would be nice to see it a bit more. But other than that - nothing more to ask for. It was brilliant ;)

Deanie x

I'mma go read more!

Pompadour says...

I was feeling so terribly disappointed by the way this beginning turned out today. Your review made me feel so much better. <3

Thank you.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:13 am
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

So you say this is a little bit different than your old version? I still remember your old version quite clearly (how can you forget a piece by you, anyway?), but the difference between the two is so staggering. It just so much different than your old version. And in a good way. Not only has your style improved and changed dramatically, but your voice is so much... changed in this, its almost like an entirely different story. You are telling the story to us, and it's not just a narration of the happenings of this guy, Brian, but the narrator seems to have a personality, as well. I just imagine you telling me this story, and it's like a person saying it. Just so perfect.

I don't know what to nitpick. At first, I was gonna say: Okay, okay. Enough with the descriptions. Move on, already. But when I finished... I decided they were fine, because they were all leading up to something. Something greater. It was like you were feeding us little bits of a sandwich before we get to the meat inside. One thing you may want to keep an eye on, though: The description. Yes, I know it may sound a bit hypocritical and defying what I just said, but think about it: I have read this before, I knew what your story was about and whatnot. I knew it was going to be awesome and the pace was going to pick up. But - your new reader would not. They would open this page and see lines of description all seeming to lead up to something... and then nothing happening, and it moving off like a freight train. Starting slowly, and then picking up speed so very slowly - taking a while before it gets up to speed. You need to start off like a sports car. Fast - just zoom! us in there, at the first bit, and give us something to chew on. The appetizer, if you will. Something we can enjoy... and then you can describe the scene as we go. But just remember that as a new reader, it needs to be exciting right off the bat. Beautiful descriptions are lovely - a must for your book, and your style. It's you - but when I read through this, I was intrigued, but not really sucked into it until I got to the part with Brian Heaney. And then things began to pick up and really suck me into the story.

So yesh. A sandwich. The strangest example I have given today, but I think it works. Hopefully.

Reading it again, I think I exaggerated just a little bit. So maybe just mix up the description in the beginning with some action. Something exciting to be thrown in as well. I am really scrambling for some critique here. This piece, quite honestly, is too perfect to nitpick.

Really, I don't know what else to say... The general story line seems so familiar, and exactly the same as I remember - so nothing new there. It was very curious and puzzling when Bernard Mason fell. He. just. fell. He must have been expecting it, or something. I mean, why else would he have told Brian to not get all excited when he heard a loud noise? It was played perfectly, and even though this was done in omniscient POV (which is what you seem to do a lot now, and its just beautiful), I could still see the characters and their emotions. So everything is good there.

The neighbours will hear and they’re so paranoid they’d dial 911 even if a frog croaked from underneath their staircase

Just perfect there. Both funny and true at the same time - especially because he said it with a completely straight face.

Onto the next part! Sorry for the shortness.
~Darth Timmyjake

Laure wrote a review...

Happy review day! And thank you for leaving me with nothing to say. xD. Hey that rhymes! alright, I will stop messing around. I see you wanted comment on the character and pace of the chapter. Well, is about the only thing I can say anyways.

So, the start. I've heard somewhere one of the deadly sins of writing a novel is to never start with the weather.

The wind passed by like a symphony of icicles, drifting lazily past the chessboard houses of Rainside Street. Anyone who had been brave enough to venture outside was now forced to retreat to the warmth and comfort of home, as the frost nipped at their exposed faces and stung at their skin.
Now I can flash this in their faces and say, 'go stick that rule elsewhere because look at this descriptions, is perfect.' Ok, so maybe I'm a bit biased because I adore describing the weather as well and I really love how you've described the winter wind here. All except the first line. I don't know if a symphony of icicles is the right metaphor here, icicles usually clink together especially coupled with the word symphony. So the wind is chiming? O_O

Today, like every other day, saw Heaney trudging along on the sidewalk; he kicked at the snow occasionally, and called:
Heaney saw Heaney trudging along the sidewalk? Is Heaney now from another dimension watching himself! How interesting! Ok, you get what I mean, it was probably a typo.

Language and style:Hmm...you have a certain style that you write with definitely suits the setting and time of the novel. I've read your chapter at least three times, and still couldn't figure out exactly what is it I want to say. You have a very ingenious way with language, Pomp. You can manage the most subtle emotions and tell them to the readers in the most interesting ways. I notice that the most interesting aspects of this chapter actually lies within the dialogue, through dialogue. We get the clear insight of Heaney's feelings and thoughts towards such things. Heaney seems to be a down-to-earth person or like you said, a self-proclaimed optimist and this was portrayed to us clearly and consistently throughout the chapter.

So, I read your previous reviews (not really, I just skimmed through it. And found that there are one point I disagree with. Timmy's point on perspective. This POV which I'm sure you're clearly aware of is the third person omniscient POV where the narrator is the see-all. Granted, there are disadvantages but I feel it works well in this setting. Because using a first person POV would give away too much and that element of suspense and mystery in here is what keeps the readers hooked. Though that being said, I wish you could reveal a bit more of Mason to us but oh well, he dies anyways. (xD).

And no, I don't really know how to end this review because I've ran out of things. I have told you you're a brilliant writer, yes?

*offers cup of tea* Here, have a cuppa.

-Laure

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Heya Dory! I am so late but I am still here anyways...

First off: Bangcracker :D I love the chapter title choice!

I love your descriptions so much... so in detail and it leaves nothing but the most for the reader to imagine. I could just picture Brian walking up and down those streets, chanting the same words and hoping for someone to take him on...

Although at the beginning I wasn't immediately sucked into the story. You did manage to create a nice picture of the setting and then slowly move us in closer to Brian and him as a character, before getting us to meet Bernard Mason. I liked it to some effect, but as I was reading this part took too long for me? I found myself getting lost in the description of the place and him and I wanted the story to start. I don't know if you could move some of the dialogue up closer to the beginning, maybe after the first paragraph. Have him chant his mantra there and then go on to describe him as the odd-job man. Have him say it one more time and hope before he sees the person scuttle away... then proceed to talk about his family and needing the money before we set our eyes on Bernard Mason for the first time. I'm not completely sure that reshuffling will grasp their attention more, but it would be a possible way.

Brian sounds like a nice character, a genuine person with his only weakness so far being his need for money. It kind of makes me sad that he misses out so much because of his need and greed for it, but you described that perfectly well. I couldn't help but think how realistic that little lesson taught there is as well.

Sorry for the short review, but there isn't much more to say. It was pretty fab. My favourite lines had to be:

It is strange how money blinds people, just as fear blinds the weak and cowardly

The greatest forms of bravery are often insane

The last one reminds me of something the Joker might say... O.o but those two lines are fab and speak so much <3 Keep it up. I better go read the next part!

Deanie x

Pompadour says...

I knew that beginning was an info-dump!

I'll work on it. ;) Thanks for the wonderful review!

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here for a brief review... Well, maybe not so brief. :P

Cool comment from awesomenesishnessnous

That word is so real.

Okay, so i will just start this off with a comment. Perspective.

What is perspective? Writing from perspective? You could also call it POV... In this story, its more like its from a far-off look towards it than it is actually from someone's perspective. That is a great way to start off... but I think that you should establish what your main character is, and then stick with it...

Then there is third person and first person writing... Third person is how your character sees it, but I think if you want to really pull your reader in, it should be in such a way that you could change the He or she to I, thus changing it to first person, and not have it seem awkward or strange... First person really helps you see into the person, though(The Hunger Games), but books like the Percy Jackson series does that as well, without having the boundaries of only being able to write in one person's perspective.

They say that 75% of your writing in your book should be from your main characters point of view, whether that be the stable boy or the king... You can use the other 25% to learn more about the other characters and what they are like, but you need to keep with that one character to establish to your reader that he is the main character, and he's awesome. :P

So that didn't actually have anything to do with your story... Not really. Just a thought that I thought--Egh, redundant--would help you a bit throughout to keep it moving fluid. :D

Other awesome comments

I won't point out any grammar or punctuation errors here... Besides, that would be BORING!! Lets keep this review up and lively!!

I live at number twenty-one. What will you tell them?’ he demanded.

That part... Not the dialogue, just the italics, shouldn't be in italics, in my humblest of opinions... Why, say you? Because it kind of confused me... You have the main character's thoughts in italics, and then you have an entire sentence of speech by this dude, Mr 21, in italics... One word isn't confusing. A sentence is.

No,’ said the man – confusedly, it seemed. ‘But – but if I am, then – do me a favour,’ he said suddenly. ‘When you hear a loud sound – a loud sound, you got me? – don’t run to the police.

That guy doesn't seem confused to me... He seems nervous. like, REALLY NERVOUS!!

I am sorry this wasn't more helpful. :(

SO far, your story is really pulling along... Your main character is already having trouble. He is very neat, and has alot of depth, something that really helps your story. The thing I like most about this, though, is all of the mystery. Its aggravating at the same time, but I love it! It makes me want to go on to chapter two and continue reading, just like it should! Yay! Great job there!

Sorry this was a lame review... I will get to the next one presently. :)
May the force and Bernard Mason be with you. Always.
~The Darth Timmyjake

Pompadour says...

I've done something evil with Bernard Mason. Evil
Thanks for the review! But why the sudden lack of nit-pickiness? =/

timmyjake says...

I dunno. Just didn't feel like being mean right now. :D

Snowery wrote a review...

Hey there Pompadour!! Silver here to review as requested!! :)

I really, REALLY liked this but first, onto the:

Main Points

The wind passed by like a symphony of icicles,

The first thing I see when I start reading is THIS!!! This- this horrendously beautiful line? I'm disappointed Pomp, I can't believe you made me lay eyes on an amazing simile already. *Shakes head*

Sleet on the road, snow on the sidewalks.

Personally, I would really like an "and" where the comma is. I just feel that it runs smoother that way.

But there was nothing remotely warm about this winter

*Ominous dramatic music plays* You started this line with a "but". Yes I know it sounds really good and it's terribly tempting but you're not speaking in dialogue, first person or second person so it's a no no.

perhaps they were wondering vaguely of little match-girls the streets would be housing tonight.

I feel that it would be good to get rid of "they" in this phrase. It helps the flow and also you just mentioned it before so it almost feels like repetition.

His mousey-brown whiskers had been painted white by the snow,

I adore this little description right here!

But he always kept hope,

Again with the "but". I know it's hard but try to replace it with words such as "though" or "however", you'll find that they can work just as good as "but" most times.
other times though, not so much :P

handed Heaney a two thousand pound not

I think you meant "note"?

Okey dokey, your story so far is really good. Actually it's great- no it's Awesome! I really liked it. Your narrator had a very pleasant "voice". You had great spelling, grammar and structure all the way through. I loved your descriptions and imagery, it wasn't too heavy yet I was able too clearly picture everything. The actual story so far is interesting. It's got the right amount of setting up, confusion and action and you've done a great job at creating atmosphere. It's basically great for a first chapter or introduction. Overall great stuff!! An enjoyable reading experience for me so keep up the good work! Happy writing!! Oh and by the way, I'll definitely review your next part but you might have to wait a bit for that. :) :)

Silverlock

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 am
Messenger wrote a review...

Hi Pomps it's me, way way way after requestation, but I am here (and that is totally a word)

as his breath rose in smoky puffs of dragon’s breath before him.

AH! No! You use 'breath' in this sentence twice. That is a no-no! :)

Hahahaha when he was handed the note I nearly died laughing at the way you wrote Heaney's response.

So I finished and you basically have no technical errors that I can see. I do like you difference of sentence length and your use of semi-colons at sparse but well-fitting times. I wish more people used them.
So, it is all the storyline to review now! And boy this was interesting. Very well written, I could clearly see the whole scene play out, so good job there *hands cookies* and you had just a little bit of humor as well which I enjoyed so good job there *hands another cookie*.
This is definitely intriguing.
A little predictive as to what is going to happen next (being that Mason is going to shoot someone and disappear and Heaney will be his "witness") but after that I can't really guess what will happen.
Probably something with the girl. And Mason. But I don't have any clue what that might be!
I shall quickly head for chapter 2 now.

~Messenger

Apricity wrote a review...

Heya Pomps! Subtle here for an extremely brief review. As per usual, your grammar and spelling is flawless. So I will comment briefly on the content of this chapter.

First of all, I liked how you divided it into two parts because one really long chapter really puts me off. Instead, I liked how you ended part one with a cliff hanger/ rhetorical question so that the readers will want to / or obliged to see what happens next.

The suburbs of Birmingham. Two months ago.
Maybe is only me, and maybe I've just read way too many books where an indication of time is always italicized. So, maybe you want to italicized it? If not, that's fine. I liked the overall language and structure of your chapter, they choice of words were good, concise and relevant. You gave us enough description to get a sense of what's going on, but not that much so it turns into filler. I also love how you varied your dialogue beginnings and ends so that is not always the same start and finish.

Hm, the only suggestion I have for you is to actually develop the personality of Mason in the ways he move and speak, and the same goes for Heaney. They don't seem have enough depth as of yet, I know this is only the first chapter but knowing you, you could easily weave a few hints of their inner self here and there.

Also, I forgot to praise you on the authenticness of this story's setting, the weather, the streets and the atmosphere. All very nicely written, keep it up! I'm going to review part 2 now.

Hope I helped. ^^

-S.s

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:32 am
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

This is strange! Huzzah!
First of all let me say you are a brilliant author and this work is amazing. These are not even nitpicks, more just hunches.
Anyways methinks perhaps the random snobbish stranger could be described a little more? Thats just the impression I got.
Also you say that Mr Oddjob was the "only" man out... is this true? Wasn't Mr Tophat out by then?
The rhetorical question at the end seems a little strange. I realize that you need something to end with a little punch, but I just thought "Who's wondering in the story?"
Anyhows, great work, keep it up etc.
Take That You Fiend!
P.S. Love the chapter name!

Pompadour says...

Thanks for the wonderful review!
*pokes* Did you read part two? The rhetorical question might make more sense there. :)

I promise it is on the top of my list. :-)

DeepCrystal wrote a review...

Okay, I have no idea where this is going, so that can be seen as a good sign. But, at the same time I'm not exactly sure what this exposition accomplished. It has suspense, it raises questions and it sort of brings subtle plot lines that set the story in motion, but I have no idea what is going on. On the upside I liked your imagery especially in the intro paragraph. It is not the easiest task to paint a vivid picture with words, but you nailed it. That being said, I will warn you that you have to be careful about where you place these wordy descriptions. If they interrupt the flow of the story, then you must get rid of them. You can be just as descriptive through dialogue and what the characters do. And one last thing, I suggest that when you introduce the name(s) of the character(s) that you either reveal them through dialogue or place the name where you first bring in the character.

Pompadour says...

The reason this bit might seem incomplete is because it's part of one chapter, but I didn't publish it on YWS in one go because most people find really long chapters difficult to review. Thank you so much for reviewing, though, and I'd appreciate it if you were to check the second part of this chapter out as well. It might make things a bit clearer. :)
Thanks again!
~Pompadour

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket