Young Writers Society

Deadly Secrets of the Wayland Girls

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:33 pm
View Likes
Tana Banana! says...

Prologue: 2 Years Prior

It was 11 pm on Saturday night. An hour past the Wayland Academy curfew, most girls had already retired to their rooms and were prepping for bed. Scarlet, Estelle and Blair, on the other hand, were not.

“This way, this way,” the lanky redhead whispered, leading the two girls down a dark corridor. Scarlet King was a natural born leader, just like her older sister, who had also attended Wayland. Graduating valedictorian just two years before, Amelia King was everything Scarlet ever wanted to be: beautiful, fierce and cunning. The King family was a legend at the school and as a mere freshman, Scarlet hoped she could live up to that.

Estelle Michaels followed close behind. Soft blonde locks falling into her eyes, she struggled to see. “I’m scared,” she mumbled under her breath.

“Ditto,” Blair squeaked. The girls continued creeping down the lonely hall, hesitant of whatever might come their way.

“Will you babies shut up? Please,” Scarlet retorted, picking up her pace. Finally they came to a crippled brown door, with a heavy silver lock. She fumbled through the pocket of her blazer until she found exactly what she needed: a key. Within moments, the three of them were inside a new room, with a tad more light than before. On the ground were several candles, their wicks burnt down to practically nothing, and a book.

The room smelled strongly of lavender and dust. Estelle, curious in nature, began picking around, touching everything she could get her hands on. Scarlet led her two friends to the floor along next to her. She peered down at her hand and the notes she had scribbled. “Page 50,” she said aloud, plowing the book upon her lap and flipping the ancient, tattered pages. “Light candles.” And Scarlet did so. “Begin to read.”

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:51 pm
View Likes
TellATaleForTwo says...

umm.. hey this was really good. is that it? you should really finish it. let me know when you do! :D

6 Reviews

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:54 am
View Likes
Tana Banana! says...

Hehe, thanks! :)
I'll post some more after this once I get some more feedback.

Chapter One

“Good morning, students!” A voice sounded over all the murmurs of first day gossip. “Please report to your dormitories immediately.” It was Mrs. White, the headmistress of Wayland Academy. She was yelling into her megaphone, trying to beat out the squeals of returning students, exchanging eager hugs and yapping on about their extravagant summers.

Then there was Grace.

“Don’t get caught up in all of this, Gracie,” Mrs. Wright said, giving her daughter an encouraging pat on the back, which eventually morphed into a goodbye hug. “Write soon.” And with a peck on the cheek, she was gone.

Grace looked around, gripping her map nervously. Wayland Academy, it read, Home of the Wayland Wildcats. Grace gave a slight smile. It would be just like a normal school, except with dorm rooms and fancy uniforms and better cafeteria food. And of course, no boys. She started towards Winchester Hall and took in all of the excitement happening around her.

There were so many different faces floating around campus and millions of thoughts danced through her head. Grace’s eyes immediately met those of Scarlet King. Scarlet was basically a legend on campus. She was beautiful, fierce and cunning. When anyone ever spoke of her, they spoke in fear and admiration. Scarlet was queen of Wayland. She ruled, with a heart as black as night.

Then there was Estelle. Giggly, passionate Estelle, who really was kind but wouldn’t dare try anything nice when Scarlet was around. Estelle, like her friends, was blessed with extraordinary beauty, smarts and a conniving mind. But there was a part of her that wasn’t like the rest.

Finally, there was Blair; Blair Cooper with her piercing blue eyes and jet black hair. Blair was quiet and probably the most scheming out of the three. She hung back in the shadows of Estelle and Scarlet, which made people fear her most.

Grace propelled past their dirty looks, toward her dorm. Wow, what a great first impression! I didn’t even say a word to them and they’re already treating me like the freak. She walked briskly through the autumn air, until she heard someone yelp and then felt a large body bump into hers.

“Hi,” a voice said, with a grin.

Grace looked up in embarrassment. “Hi, uh, sorry, I—I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s fine. I’m Todd.”

She took a moment to ponder this. Wayland Academy for girls… Todd is a guy, obviously.

“Todd White,” he continued. “As in—”

“As in Mrs. White the headmistress,” she cut him off. “Well, since you probably know this place like the back of your hand, what are the chances of you directing me to Winchester Hall?”

“That-a-way,” Todd said, pointing north. “There are two buildings, right next to each other. One’s all locked up and ones open. Chances are you’re looking for the open one.” His lips curved up into a friendly grin. Grace’s eyes lingered, probably for a moment to long. She shifted her gaze nervously to the side, where she spotted those three girls she had seen earlier. They gave her the same look and before she knew it, the sunny sky had begun to cloud up. Drops of rain splattered down and a huge crash of thunder shook the ground.

“That’ll teach her to mess with my man,” Scarlet barked to Estelle and Blair, casually walking away.

Grace looked back at Todd and bit her lip. “That was pretty weird. Uh, see ya. Bye.” And in an instant, Grace was gone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:36 pm
View Likes
jord says...

not my cup of tea, but quite good nonetheless

6 Reviews

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 pm
View Likes
Tana Banana! says...

awhh, thanks anyways :)
here's the next chapter for anyone else. enjoy!

Chapter Two

Grace took a long, loving look around her dorm. It was very spacious and the walls were a soft, welcoming peach. There were two beds, one for her and one for her roommate, who had clearly not arrived. Blair Cooper was her name and the paper had said she enjoys playing violin, dancing and quietly plotting revenge. A few ballparks away from the stuff Grace liked, but she was always open for meeting new people.

Next to the beds there was a large window overlooking the court yard. In the distance, she could see Scarlet and Estelle giggling among each other and at that moment the door opened.

Grace turned around to see a girl wearing a Juicy Couture track suit in green waltz in like she owned the place. The girl threw her Gucci messenger bag onto one of the beds (the bed with the view, of course) and darted into the bathroom. “Gee, nice to meet you too!” Grace shrugged and made her way over to the large suitcases she had propped up against the wall. Next time I know it’s every girl for her own bed.

~*~*~

“Yes, Mrs. White, I understand it is not custom for you to let three girls room together but last year, Estelle practically moved in with us anyways. And giving Blair the boot? Now that does seem a little harsh.”

“I’m very sorry Miss King but our rules are very strict: two girls to a room, no exceptions. Besides, I don’t see the problem with letting another girl hang around you and your friends. After all, Miss Cooper’s room mate is new. Perhaps she’d like to get to know some of you?”

Scarlet eyed the headmistress with obvious detest. Most students at Wayland would have only gotten to speak with the rooming office but since Scarlet King was Scarlet King, she was allowed to go straight to the top. “Fine,” she pouted and left quickly.

Outside, Estelle waited impatiently. “Took you long enough!” she barked, when she saw Scarlet stomping out of the office.

“Yeah, well, mission unaccomplished. White won’t budge.”

“Guess little Miss King doesn’t have all that much pull after all.” And she let out a little giggle at this, like it amused her.

“You’re lucky if I don’t have you trade rooms with Blair,” Scarlet hissed, and began to walk away. “Meet me at 11; Blair too. We’ve got some bewitching to do.”

~*~*~

Blair slipped out of the bathroom and made a dash for the door but Grace stopped her. “Hi! I’m Grace,” she chirped, hints of her southern heritage peaking out beneath her words.

“Blair.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you!”

“I know.”

And that was the end of it.

Grace melted onto her bed. So far the people had been nothing what she expected. Let’s see… cold, mean and distant? Not what I was planning on in a room mate.

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon