Finding lost memories
Now this is the end
Of my lost story

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:57 pm
niteowl says...

The rhyming wasn't extremely forced but it still took away from the poem. Next time you try writing a "serious" or "deep" poem, try free verse. It helps becasue you're not focusing on whether the word rhymes but rather if it's appropriate for what you're trying to say. It was decent for a rhyming poem but it could have been so much better if you hadn't bothered making this a rhyming poem.

I also have something to say about your whole "keep the criticism to a minimum please." If you don't want criticism, don't bother posting it here or anywhere else. You should consider what your critics have to say. Constructive criticism, while it may sound bad at first, is one of the best ways to improve your writing. On the other hand, if all a review says is along the lines of "This poem is a hopeless pile of crap. Do us all a favor and never write poetry again, you [insert expletive here]" is upsetting and unhelpful. That's not constructive criticism; that's just stupidity. Of course, I've never seen anything like that on here.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:41 pm
nickelpickle says...

Many people here have read my rant on explanataions on poems. (I hate them btw) The whole thing about "please keep criticism to a minimum" or "take it easy please" annoys me possibly even more. This is a constructive board. You can't learn if everyone says, "It was okay, add some puncation" I am sorry, but you just CAN'T!!! It is not possible to move up in your writing if you can't accept help and use it. Anyway...I will crit this just like you are anyone else, feel free to trash it if it is too harsh...

My life is malfunctioning
The world torn apart
Way too much hate
The breaking of hearts

You need to use punctuation. It makes it a lot easier to read.
I would say,

My life is malfunctioning;
My world is completly torn apart.
There is too much hate
Breaking many hearts.

Notice the punctuation and the rewording...

I feel like a cemetery
All desolate and quiet
I feel like the tombstone
With flowers beside it

First off, you can't really feel like a cemetary. Maybe like you're in a cemetary....

I feel like I live in a cemetary,
My life is all desolate and dark.
I feel like the tombstone
With the flowers beside it.

Notice the corrections in the first two lines. I hated the last two lines of this stanza. They were boring, didn't make sense, etc.

A flag in the wind
The edges are frayed
The pole is all rusty
The rope went astray

I am a flag in the wind,
My edges are frayed,
My pole is all rusty,
The rope went astray.

Ugh..It was bad, I gotta tell you. It didn't really mean anything...

The block is engulfed
By a wave of flames
My life will be different
I won’t be the same

The block is engulfed? That line definitly wasn't my favorite. Here goes...

The block is engulfed (If you must leave it)
By a wave of flames
My will be different
Never again thee same.
"There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around."

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:45 pm
nickelpickle says...

Sorry...pushed the wrong button...to continue:

Going through the wreckage
Finding lost memories
Now this is the end
Of my lost story

I go through the wreckage
Seeking memories lost

Add two more lines. The last two of your poem were horrible, ineffective and you really needed to have a strong ending to tie your poem together. All in all, it was okay. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Remember, crit may sound harsh, but it is just to help. Also, I agree with niteowl. You should skip the rhyming for serious poems. Save it for the funny ones.

-Nicole
"There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around."

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:03 pm
Elizabeth says...

Honestly Alex, youa re much more better at writing humerous things. I am good at that too but sometimes I cam seriouis. You are enver serious and it will be sad not seeing you for a week due to spring break. Get your computer fixed so you don't ahve to be at schooal to log on because that sucks.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:40 pm
LonelyDragon says...

I didn't really like this, sorry. But you shouldn't be asking us to keep our critism to a minimum. That makes me not want to read your poem. :cry:

The poem is not bad, it just needs work, perhaps it's 'deeper' then your other poems, but I think, and this is my opinion, that if you wish to write 'deeply' you need to dig deeper.

Good luck.

NickelPickle, you said, "First off, you can't really feel like a cemetary" .
Pardon me, but this is the poet's poem and if he/she feels like a cemetary, they feel like a cemetary. If you can't understand that, I think you may be missing something.

Just my opinion, don't mind me.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:36 am
Teeeeo. says...

Meh. (Quiet TBR)
This is my first real poem, it sucks, I know. I wasn't really trying to be deep, I just wanted a better opinion from the site rather than my english teacher (though I doubt he is very good at English)(Ask TBR about that)
I was struggling to find rhymes because I was bored (English class is a drag) and I wanted to find another poem to add to my sucky book. All the poems i've posted thus far were all incorporated into the book.
And, for once, i'm gonna listen to TBR. I'm going to go back into humorous poetry :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:37 pm
whisperinghope says...

This is my first real poem...

This statement leads me to believe that you would like to write some more serious things. Don't give up. Working at things when you have room for improvement means you're growing and growing is good (even when growing pains get uncomfortable.)

Don't give up. Stretch alittle.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines