z

Young Writers Society

Rereading books

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:50 am
zelithon says...

I personally NEVER do that unless I have NOTHING to read. It may be fine if you don't understand it the first time but it shows a lack of understanding and intelligence. I know many people who do it who are not stupid but just like the stories. I feel this also is foolish. Why reread a book that you already know how it ends when there are literally tons of books you have not read? Even if some of the books out there are not as good they still expand your horizons and let you tell the good books from bad better. I do not read very fast* but I found I have probably read more than people who read faster than me but only reread books.
What are all your guy's opinion on this?

*That does not mean i read very slow either- 100 pgs a day is not slow is it?
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:15 am
J. Haux says...

I confess: I'm a rereader.

There is more to books than how it ends. Sometimes when I reread, I see it differently: I learn something different. I might see forshadowing that I didn't notice before, or details that I missed, or themes and things about the characters that I never realised the first time. I don't look for it, but I find it when I reread.

Sometimes when there's a book I've been waiting for, or I'm on limited time, I read very quickly and very late at night and my comprehension level slips a bit. I understand that so I reread. Does that mean I'm not intelligent? I doubt it.

I puzzle my sister, because sometimes I read a book, then immediately reread parts of it. Mostly that's just for fun, because when I read for pleasure, I get very absorbed sometimes and want to make the story last a little longer. May sound weird, but it's true. I also have some favorites that I own. I'll reread them sometimes.

But of course I read other books! How would I come up with favorites? I enjoy reading. As for the tons of books I could be reading while I'm rereading? I sometimes decide that a book just isn't for me. I'm either not interested, or I think I'll enjoy it more if I wait.

~Jacquie~
SPEW to You

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:14 am
Duskglimmer says...

There are a few books that I reread. They're mostly my favorites and every time I read them, I pick up on something new.

For instance: I just reread Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery and for the first time I noticed this one line: "The gods do not allow us to be in thier debt." I have read this book well over a dozen times, but this is the first time I picked up on this line.

And that's partly how books become my favorites. I read them once, decide that I want to read them again and find new details that I hadn't noticed before, or foreshadowing for certain events that I hadn't even seen as foreshadowing. That's the kind of book I like: the ones that reveal new things to you almost every time you read them.

I also read a great deal of new books, so there's a pretty constant influx of new stories and ideas. I read very quickly however and can get out nine or ten lengthy books from the library and can be through them and looking for something else to read before I get the chance to go again.

And I just have to say, that if the only reason you read a book is to know the ending, then you're missing out. In well-written books there are so many little things that you should slow down and take the time to enjoy. As I said, I read very quickly, but I find that when there's a book that I'm really enjoying, I slow down. This is not because I am having trouble understanding it, or because it's difficult reading, but simply because I want to enjoy every moment of the story instead of rushing through to the climax and discovering what happens in the end.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:02 am
Snoink says...

I am also a rereader. As you grow up, the same things will change for you. For example, I was reading Animal Farm again. I read it when I was about eight, and I enjoyed the story and was sorry about Boxer, but other than that, who cared? Well, when I was 15 or 16, I picked up the book again and started reading it. It was absolutely freaky. I think, halfway through, I chucked the book halfway across the room because I was so mad and frustrated at the $#%^#$ pigs. I also think I was crying. Silly me...

I also am rereading Fahrenheit 451. When I first read it, I was young, about 13, and I am picking up so many things that I didn't understand or didn't see at that time. It's truly amazing.

Every once and a while, I reread Poe. I've read his work since I was 7, but at the same time, I understand more.

I love rereading the bible, especially when I'm upset. The bible has some of the most awesome stories ever, plus it's just so pretty! I mean, it's simple, but at the same time beautiful. And the psalms... *happy sigh*

I also have a book out right now which is so worn that I literally had to put tape all over it just to keep it from falling apart. It d'Aaulaires' Book of Greek Myths, and it's so awesome that if you don't have it, you should be ashamed with yourself!

I also constantly reread the dictionary to make sure I spell the right words. Well... I also read and reread plenty of research documents to make sure my stories are accurate as possible. And don't get me started on my calculus book...

Oh, and for my own story, I've read it hundreds of times already, just to proof it. It still hasn't gotten old.

So yep. I'm a rereader. Rereading something doesn't mean that you never read anything new.

And a hundred pages per day really isn't that much. I could read three hundred pages per day when I was eleven, and we're talking about novels. So... yeah.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:03 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Not re-reading books to me is like listening to a song only one time.

The reason I re-read is because my perspective of a story is changing as I become a better writer. I also notice new things. They were always there, but I never recognized the significance until later.

RE-READING DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE STUPID!

I've re-read several books many times, simply because they had good action sequences. The way I see it, the more times you read something, the better the book is, and the more you get from it on a technical and spiritual level.

True, you may have more of a quantity, but this says nothing about the quality. If I read 4,000 kindergarten books, this wouldn't make me any smarter than a person who has only read the dictionary!

Then again I will read 500 pages in a single sitting, including things like eating and sleeping.

Perhaps you're understanding more by going at a slower pace?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:03 am
ladydark says...

I agree with Grif.

I am a rereader. I love books, and some of them just stand out to me because the quality is good.

My favourite books, I think, have just about started to complain about it. They are a good story, and despite knowing the ending, if you read it once, rather fast, you enjoy it. Read it again, a bit slower, you pick up alot more you missed the first time around. Read it again... and so on, you'll be surprised what you missed the first time around with that book.

There are some books I couldn't Stand the first time around, but when I reread 'em.. quite nice. Now thats not always the case, but sometimes it is. Personally, books are a good way to escape this world, espically if you reread the ones that stand out to you.

I am basically a book void though... depending on how much time I have, or whatever. I can read... lord god almight only knows this... too much to count a day, not including in school.. unless you count the times when I'm sneaking in the current book I'm reading under my math text book, or something simliar...

^_^ books are fun, if they hit you once, no matter how fast you read them, try again. You'll be surprised how much they'll mean to you if you keep re-reading them.

The End.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

"Foul devil, for God's sake, hence, and trouble us not;
For thou hast made the happy earth thy hell,
Fill'd it with cursing cries and deep exclaims." (Richard III 1.2) Shakespeare

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:48 pm
Myth says...

I re-read books all the time and understand things better the second time round.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:58 pm
tinny says...

Re-reading books is important. You understand it more and more, and can often get more enjoyment out of it. I know when I read a book for the first time I'll often skip out chunks if I think it's getting a little boring. but then when I come to read it again, I'll read more than the last time.

It's also very important if you're doing anything with literature at school. It's recommended to read the book atleast three times before you go into the exam so you have a good idea what it's about, even if you can have the book in with you. It saves flicking through to find the right quotes.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:49 pm
Areida says...

I adore re-reading books.

Most of the time when I first read a book I'm so eager to find out what happens that I dash through it just to get to the ending, finish with a sigh of satisfaction, and be done with it. But several months or a year later, I find myself unable to remember details about the book... and so I read it again!

I do enjoy picking up new books, but when I've really enjoyed one, I'll often read it two and three times. Ella Enchanted, for instance, I know I must have read at least six times and I enjoy it more each time because I can pick up on more things. The Mark of the Lion trilogy I've read five times, and I appreciate it more each time because I understand more about story and character and spiritual matters every time I read it again.

And then there are some books that are meant to be re-read, like Homer and Dante and Strunk and White.

Sometimes I'll read a book for school and like it, but I'll often read it faster than I would if it were just for fun because I have a buttload of other stuff. I did this with C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces, and I honestly didn't like it the first time I read it because I didn't understand it. I was in eighth grade at the time (and clearly not as intelligent as Snoink and Grif :P), but I picked it up again this year and fell in love with the way it was written, the complexity of the story, the depth of the characters; the ending made me cry.

So bascially, re-reading rocks my socks. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:20 pm
kiashana says...

I re-read all the time. Sometimes it's simply because I don't have time to get to the library or have no money for a new book. Other times I actually want to re-read. Harry Potter would probably be the best example... The first time I read those, I just wanted to find out what happened, so I read very fast and didn't really catch all the details. When I re-read each of them (like a bazillion times) I've caught all sorts of connections that I never saw before. Once I know what's going to happen, I can re-read and see how Rowling hints at her plot throughout the novel and appreciate how much she must plan out those books.
Plus, it's fun to curl up with an old book. Why not re-read something that you know you love?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:04 pm
Rei says...

Exactly! Rereading, especially for a student of literature or a young writer, is essential. You never get everything the first time you read a book or see a movie. A few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I watched a movie that we had both seen before and we picked up on details that we hadn't seen before. Also, when you knw the story for he book you are reading, it's easier to look at what the writer has done to make it such a good book or a bad book. You learn more. Repetition is essential when learning how to do things. Reading books is no different.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Poor Imp says...

I used to hate re-reading books...I always understood the first time, and I was deadly bored reading it all again. But then there were certain stories - there are stories that just always seem to have something new to say. Sometimes it's just a matter of having read everything in the house and wanting to read really badly.

So I've reread Lord of the Rings multiple times. I've reread Lloyd Alexander, Dostoyevsky (how can you not read something new in The Brothers Karamozov every time?)...The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

Libraries have a dearth of good books. It's hard to find something new and good.

A good book or story is like a good friend; there's always good reason to spend more time with them. And a good story, truly, has enough to it for different aspects to pop-up on numerous readings.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:06 am
zelithon says...

I think I understand now. I remember EVERYTHING I read. I get it the first time completely. It might be because I don't ever skim-i find skimming is pointless even if I could read faster that way. I can read a chapter in my history book once and get 100% on the test. You fellows skim or do what I would consider skimming. I am not claiming genius status. If I skimmed or just 'read' as fast as 300 pgs a day I would understand but I would not enjoy and would probably forget eventually. If I want to find a definite good book I look for a book by a definite author. I don't read to simply get to the end sometimes i read slowly to savor the story. Rereading does not mean your stupid-I said that, but I still think it is foolish. Read it right the first time and only reread it if you don't understand, not understanding if you read it properly does not mean your stupid either it simply means you chose a book too hard, which I also think is foolish.
Another thing, library vs owning. I like owning books but I usually only read them once. The library I like reading books many people have read before but i cannot look at it anytime and claim ownership.
Maybe I shuold have put this in debates.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:13 am
Poor Imp says...

I can read 300 pages a day and remember every detail.

But you've missed the point. (And no, it's not an objective reality point; it is true about people and stories however.) No matter what you've understood the first time about a story, you're always going to bring something different to it when you reread. It is not that you didn't understand the first time. It's that a good story can grow with you. At 14, I missed dozens of things in Lord of the Rings - or saw a different side of it. It's the same with quite a few other books.

And then, if you don't choose books that are hard or partially incomprehensible to you, how are you ever going to learn? Read books that are hard. Don't understand everything. But learn something.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:28 am
Meshugenah says...

Of course I re-read books! I used to because I loved books, but now I've found its a valuable tool for a writer. I won't restate everything alredy said (I will also resist making remarks about rereading the same things several times.. sense of humour not getting the better of me at the moment, ta).

However, to expand on the textbook thing.. I have a friend who has a photographic memory (it's scary, my friends and I have tested it at will.. scary), and she doesn't remember everything about a book after reading it the first time, no matter how throughly (exhibit A, biology class freshman year, we all reread rentire chapters to make sure we understood the materital). It's not a matter of intelligence (at least not most of the time), it's a matter fo understanding. Take whatever subject you'd like, Bio, Chem, history, latin, no one can understand everything the first read through. You may think you do, but there are just too mayn details. In language I usually have to check and recheck irregular verbs; I know which ones they are, I just don't always remember how they change, or which tense they change, or if it's irregular in all of them. In chem and math, it's usually formulas and precedures I have to check, and little nit-picky things like rules on sig figs, or all the trig formulas. Those I think are impossible to know by heart. You know they exist, yes (it's like name recognition, I think), you just need a reminder. For fiction books, or books for pleasure, I find the same thing. For instance, the first time I read Ender's Game, or was it Ender's Shadow? I didn't notice a descripency with numbers, I just thought it sounded funny and i had misred earlier. Turns out I was right, i just wasn't sure at the time. upon rereading, I found the section where it discussed the number of toon leaders in Ender's army, and it was 10, not 8, as was stated later. I recently got a copy of the original version, and if I recall correctly, the numbers there would have matched up to the 8, not 10. So I would call that a simple overlook not caught on editing (and, I admit, I'm anal about things like that..).

Anyway, I've rambled enough, and quite possibly not in a choerent manner. I do appologise (for that and my spelling. spell check only can help me so much.. which is why i call crysi! but I digress).

Just a side note, I can read an entire book in a day (like.. the 6th HP book.. kinda sorta finished in about.. eh.. I think it was 6 hours 'cause mom made me eat.. but yeah. If I get going, I can read a ridiculous amount in a day. Right now, as it is school, I usually only get 100 pages on a good day, sometimes not even that. Unless textbooks and required reading counts.. and the numberb of pages read a day really depends on the level of the book, and how fast you can comftorbaly read. In school, I usually finish way ahead of everyone else, and I don't usually skip anything, I just read fast, and can absorb facts. I also forget faster with this.. we read a few short stories by Flannery O'Conner recently, and I can only clearly recall the endings, and the main characters. Now, I need to get a book of ehr short stories, becuase I love the way she sets up her plot.. not her writing style per se, but her style of writing. And yes, that does make sense.

/bekahs' ramblings.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky