z

Young Writers Society

Advice?!

Reviews: 4
Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:48 pm
bmonczka says...

hey im writing another story and i would like to know how to make it seem not like my other story...if u guys can help me can u plzzz plzzz just say it..i've got it started but cant figure out how to get pictures into ur minds. so if u guys can figoure out wut im trying to say that wud be awsome to get ideas or advice on how to write :D

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 pm
Huff Puff says...

Well, you'll have to begin with thinking of a genre opposite to the one of your 'other' story.
Then, to get a clear picture of what you want, you could draw or look for pictures that would suit events in your novel as a pre-planned technique. Music helps a lot so, for example, if you're planning to write some kind of an emotional story, you'd be better off listening to sad or emotional songs as an inspiration. And if all of the above doesn't quite help, then try specifying clearly what you mean.
Hope this helps :)
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast." ~Oscar Wilde.

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:05 pm
Button says...

For originality, a great deal of opportunities come from how you use your voice. You need to create a distinct style in your writing, so it doesn't sound like everyone else's. Make your own details, use your imagination. Create a way of talking/writing so distinctive that someone can look at it without knowing the author and say, "Oh! It's bmonczka's!" before they cheerfully continue. Put yourself into your writing.
That will help differentiate your writing from other people's.
To differentiate your individual pieces together, develop very strong characters in each one; don't use the same ones over and over again. Round them out and make them different. Make your readers connect with each one and make them human, but give them different personalities, different backgrounds, different ways at looking at things. Reflect yourself in each one, but allow them to take flight as their own as well.

If you're struggling with imagery, sometimes a good way to help is to look at what you're trying to describe, whether it's a physical object or an emotion or... whatever. Make a list of what YOU YOURSELF connect that object with. I've only recently started doing this, and it makes you look at things in a different way. It's usually good to get at least around 15 things to really round it out. Then, try to shorten it out; be concise, but make it effective.

Hope I helped. If you ever need anything else, feel free to ask and I'd love to help. :)

-Coral-

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green