z

Young Writers Society

Who Are The Authors/Poets You Despise?

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm
Willard says...

I saw a post from earlier this month talking about favorite poets, and the poet Shane Koyczan was brought up. The creator of the post adores him, and I was inches away from writing a post on how I dislike him with a burning passion. It's not exactly what he writes about, but in Speech and Debate, there is an event called Dramatic Interpretation. If I had a nickel for every time someone has done a burnt to the crisp, incredibly melodramatic performance of one of his pieces, I'd virtually be rich.

Instead of ranting about someone else's taste on their own post, I thought I'd take it to here.

Who are the authors and or poets that just don't float your boat? Whether it be because their personality, writing style, or anything like that.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:09 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I think "despise" is pretty harsh, for lack of a better word. I wouldn't say I despise anyone, and I sure hope I don't.

There are a few writer's whose styles I'm not fond of though. One would be Ross- don't remember the rest of her name, she's the one that wrote Divergent. I dislike how she kills off characters willy-nilly. As much as her story demands death, I still think she did an unneeded amount of killing. It got to a point where it wasn't a surprise or big deal when she'd kill someone off, and I think if you get to that point you're on dangerous ground as a writer.

I'm also not a fan of Stephen King's work. I personally feel that his characters leave much to be desired- I'm never interested in them. He has interesting concepts but I can never get through his books because I don't find his characters interesting enough. He is awesome at non-fiction though. The man knows how to tell a story I tell ya.
100% autistic

863 Reviews

Reviews: 863
Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:35 pm
Morrigan says...

As much as I love Beat stuff, Jack Kerouac is different. He somehow is more pretentious than all the others, and though he seems to acknowledge it, he thinks that acknowledging it makes it all right. I mean, I know I'm pretentious sometimes, so maybe I'm being a hypocrite. But I hate his writing style and attitude. Ew (also, I read On the Road in middle school to impress my other goth friends, so I'm not sure where that figures in, but there it is).

@Holysocks, I agree about Stephen King. With a few exceptions. I like On Writing - A Memior of the Craft, and I like "The Body." And I like movies that come out of his novels. But most of his stuff is kinda flat.

I also hate that Divergent lady.

OH and Scott Westerfield. Uglies is junk.
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 pm
Holysocks says...

Yes! I love On Writing: A Memoir of The Craft, that's why I think he'd do better at writing non-fiction. Like if he wrote a blog I would read it. I might check out The Body, then.
100% autistic

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:27 pm
Mea says...

@Morrigan - Scott Westerfeld is interesting because he's really hit and miss for me. I love his Leviathan series - it's a really, really cool alternate history - and his novel Risen Empire is very good too, but I didn't like his Midnighters trilogy at all and Uglies was only okay.

I also really like the first Hunger Games book, but the second is only okay and I despise the third.

I really don't like Charles Dickens. I like A Christmas Carol, but everything else of his I just can't get through.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:56 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Jane Austen
Cormac McCarthy
Hemingway (not godawful, just hugely overrated)

Also agree with the other folk here that Stephen King is "just OK" 90% of the time.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I'm in somewhat agreement with Prok.

While I love Cormac MaCarthy's novels, I hate the way he writes them.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 am
View Likes
spectator says...

Joseph Conrad, Joseph Conrad, and Joseph Conrad. Also, John Steinbeck.
went for a jog

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:00 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

EDITH WHARTON

Like, how did The Age of Innocence win the Pulitzer? It's beyond me. To make Newland Archer such an introspective character is just a sign of hopeless arrogance on behalf of the writer. Ew.

Also, Nicholas Sparks. As a lover of romance fiction, I was disappointed that this man (who is divorced) is regarded as one of the best romance writers. The movies are better, imo.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:28 am
Kazumi says...

Every single fan fiction/romance author in Wattpad. Including the ones that are actually good.

I think their works are pretty much cancer, especially the ones at the bottom. They also follow specific formulas or create characters simply to fill in a niche fetish or secret desire (i.e a sadistic lover) that they harbor.

E.L. James

Then again, writing to fill a niche fetish.

Veronica Roth

Now YA is pretty much ruined forever. I personally think her writing is actually good, but thanks to the rise of Divergent and The Hunger Games, the YA section of my nearby bookstore is pretty much teeming with dystopian themes (and romance books).

People who publish Minecraft encyclopedias and comic books.

Now, these cheap bastards are just trying to leech off the young ones' stupidity. They take information that you can easily find on the Minecraft Wiki or any other websites FOR FREE, then they paste that on a book and sell it for like, 18 dollars. They're pretty much leeching off the Minecraft community.

Also their comics are crap (see writing to fill a niche fetish).

Pardon the language. Just a personal grudge against them.
top kek

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:19 am
Lightsong says...

I personally like the way Veronica Roth writes her novel. Divergent is superb, Insurgent is still okay, but Allegiant is a total no-no. The plot and character development derail, but still, she's off to a good start (literally, I'm talking about Divergent).

I despise all authors who take focus on exposition too much.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:13 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Veronica Roth and E. L. James are both awful #soznotsoz

Also... People are gonna hate me for this but... I could never get into ee cummings' work. Doesn't mean I hate or dislike him, I've just... seen better >.>

Also didn't really care for anything Shakespeare has written, though to be fair, I've only tried to read a handful of his things..

*fears there will be a mob screaming for her blood*
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:54 pm
Brigadier says...

Despise? I believe you meant, wouldn't read the books even at the end of the world and regret every picking up their series anyways.

-Veronica Roth
-Suzanne Collins
-Lois Lowry: I've only read The Giver but that was enough to keep me from reading the rest. I suppose if I hadn't read as many dystopians by the time I made it to that book, I might have liked it more. The ending was easily predictable and I never really like those. The story is always over before it ever begins. The writing style is also very dry and not as dark as it tries to appear. I get the idea behind it and all of the symbolism but it's not good even with bigger ideas in play. The characters make frankly stupid decisions that sometimes contradict their suppossed perfect way of life.
Perhaps her other stories are alright but after The Giver I don't really know if I can trust the recommendations. Awards never matter to me on books and rarely do my friends' comments. Also, school chosen books are never very good but hold deep symbolic meanings. Perhaps if I could avoid this knowledge as well it would be better but most likely I'd say no.
-Nancy Cavanaugh
Last edited by Brigadier on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:12 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

So authors I don't like?

Edgar Allan Poe- One word: Cccrrreeeppppyyyy

I can't think of anyone else at the moment.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:18 pm
View Likes
Willard says...

Despise? I believe you meant, wouldn't read the books even at the end of the world and regret every picking up their series anyways.

Nope, I meant despise/dislike/any other synonym.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu