z

Young Writers Society

Character Ideas

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:02 am
Kingofnate says...

I'm writing a sci-fi/secret society story, and could use some fresh viewpoints for potential characters. The story is strongly based off of assassins creed, modern day, so that's a general Idea to go off of. There will be a camp of the "Esoteric Order" in the amazon rain-forest (characters will be in other locations across the world throughout the story). The characters should be agile, and have excessive skills in running, climbing, stealth, and hand to hand melee fighting. Not so tech-savvy. Quick on their feet types. That's the general silhouette, meaning no ginormous two-handed-axe swinging brutes or gun slinging sergeants armed to the teeth. Think, ninja like.

Character examples I have so far, so you can get the general idea:

Vasuki
Spoiler! :
Wears black hooded robes with cape, uses throwing knives at midrange and larger curved knives for close. Named after a snake in Buddhist theology, from a tribe in Kathmandu, Nepal. All similes for this character are based after a snake

Phantom (name W.I.P.)
Spoiler! :
Wears loose ninja pants, climbing shoes, and a vest. Rarely fights, mostly used as a messenger and courier. Very fast runner, better even than his allies at free-running and momentum. When he does fight, he usually just jukes his opponent and dodges their swings, the stabs them in the side or neck with a very lightweight shank or shiv.

Felix
Spoiler! :
He'll use a spear with a hook on one end and a spear head on the other, in combination with a rope to achieve a sort of harpoon fighting style. He can hook enemies and pulls them, wrap the rope around their limbs and stick them with the spear, etc. This also aids his freerunnning, using it like a grappling hook or just an extension of his arm to reach higher ledges.

(Unnamed)
Spoiler! :
Most brute like of the group, still agile though. Beaded, bushy facial hair with a bandanna holding up his bun. Uses a hook protruding from his fingers attached to a handle to tear into people's muscles, spines, and throats, and a mace or axe in the alternate hand.

(Unnamed)
Spoiler! :
Female character, uses a bow and a raven/hawk. The raven will fly around and lead her and her allies, help them communicate, and even help distract opponents.

I hope you get the general idea for the characters, and if not, leave your ideas anyways! Be sure to tell their weapon combination, skills, backstory, appearance, outfit, and just their vibe. Any and all will work! Thanks so much for the help, guys!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:23 pm
Zackymas says...

I'm not here to suggest a character since I have a block at the moment (Besides making sci-fi characters comes a little hard for me), but rather a tool. Pinterest my friend. You have no idea of the great amount of character concepts you can create with the art you find in that page :3

pinterest.com

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:33 pm
View Likes
HSJ says...

I know that the purpose of this subforums is to look for help from others, but asking for character ideas from complete scratch is boring and is kind of sad. A writer should create his or her own characters by themselves, not having characters that have been given to you by others with completely other writing styles and methods.

And on a last note, I don't know if you're shying away from offering too much information on your character, but if you're not, you need more than just an unostentatious description of what they look like. A character has a past AND a future. They'll have beliefs, ambitions, childhood memories, experiences, that will completely change your character's perspective. Think about it. I'm not saying you need to go overboard with it and mention that January 16th 2003 the character stubbed his toe, but that a little more detail could create something much more beautiful.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk