z

Young Writers Society

Pet's Eye View

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:21 am
Stori says...

Hello people. I've got a question about perspective. Have you ever read a work told from an animal's point of view that's presented realistically? (i.e. without having them talk or what they'd say if they could talk)

The reason I'm asking is, I've started a school story and am toying with the idea of switching between the main character and her cat. Any examples would be extremely helpful.

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm
OrionX says...

Never seen a story that's told from an animal's perspective but I might have some suggestions on how you can write it. You could give subtle hints about your character being a cat without mentioning it's a cat. For example, a cat can't read human writing and has a better scent and hearing than a human does. Or you can digress from what you were talking about because a tasty bird flew by.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:18 pm
Lauren2010 says...

This was posted quite a while ago, but this reminds me of novels like The Call of the Wild (which is told from the perspective of a sled dog named Buck; the reader is in the animal's head but he never speaks or acts too far out of the realm of animal - other than being presented as the greatest dog there ever was). There's also the sequel? (I think it's the sequel, but it's also by Jack London and is a similar style nonetheless), White Fang which does a lot of the same narrative stuff.
Got YWS?

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson