z

Young Writers Society

Poetry for a Song Cycle?

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm
Flemzo says...

So, amateur composer in me is looking to do some amateur composing while I'm away in Europe and over the summer, and in addition to choral stuff, I'd like to write a song cycle, or at least a series of songs. The only thing is, as wonderful as I am with poetry and lyrics and stuff, I know that a group of people can do so much more than I can do myself.

So this is a call for submissions. I'm wanting to write a song cycle about the life cycle, and I think it would be cool to get poetry from several different people with several different perspectives of life. Obviously, this cycle would be from birth to death. Here's kind of what I want to work with, though the number and order of songs is totally flexible:

1. Birth
2. Childhood
3. First Love
4. Adulthood
5. Lost Love
6. Growing Old
7. Death

The only requirements is that the lines have to rhyme. I'll accept any length, though for the sake of musicality I may change rhythms or phrasing (I would be in contact with you if I did that), and I'll accept any number of poems from any number of people on any of these topics. I'll also be writing my own, in case someone can't seem to come up with anything for a topic.

If you're interested, I'd like a list of poems to work with before I leave the country on Wednesday, April 27. So if I could have things finalized by Tuesday April 26.

Any questions? Email, PM, or ask them here.
Any submissions? You can put them up for critiquing (clever ploy for more writing!), or you can just send them to me through email, PM, or this thread.

Thanks!
kf

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus