z

Young Writers Society

Favorite poets...?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 am
mangawolf says...

I'm a fan of Dickinson and TS Elliot myself. Not a fan of Maya Angelou. And y'all?

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:08 am
View Likes
Jagged says...

Richard Siken, e.e.cummings and Anne Sexton are up there on my list. If we include non-English poets, add Victor Hugo, Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Guillaume Apollinaire and St-John Perse to the list.
Dislike, nothing comes to mind right up. Most people I don't like I just go "meh" and forget about them.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm
lilymoore says...

Probably one of my favorite poets ever has to be Stan Rice. There's something temptingly dark in his poems.
I'm also a huge fan of Emilie Autumn's poems even if she is more of a musician but the stories that she tells when she writes poetry can be so very moving.

There aren't any particular poets that I dislike as a whole. I suppose I'm a little worn out on how over-taught Shakespeare (not that he's a bad poet) but I always find that Shakespeare these days is taught for all the wrong reasons so when my teacher makes us sit around and translate all of his stuff instead of teaching the meaning behind it, well Shakespeare gets old fast.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 pm
mangawolf says...

I agree with you about Shakespeare. I'd say Adam Young (of Owl City) is a poet, though he's a musician! My favorite poem by Dickinson is the one about the mermaids in the basement (I started early, took my dog...) and my favorite by elliot is the hollow men. Maybe my choices are too classic? heheh. but I like what I like; I don't care if they're already popular poets. ^_^

anyone heard of this thing you do where you stack books on top of eachother and if you read the titles, they make a poem? Like, I made this one:

It Came From Outer Space
Up A Road Slowly
A Long Way From Chicago
Weirdos From Another Planet

They're all book titles, but they make a poem! Sort of...

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 pm
lele253isme says...

I love Maya Angelou, Robert Frost, some of the people on YWS of course, not to sound conceited myself, and I have to get to know a little bit more about the famous poets!!!!! :D :D :D Oh I love Shakespeare he is the best, I love his work Othello.. I read it for my own will because I am homeschooled so I don't read it for the "wrong reasons" :D :D :D :D

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 am
View Likes
KnightlyAngel09 says...

I love Thomas Hardy's poems.:) I also love Robert Burns and I wish I knew someone Scottish so he could read the poems the way they should be read.XD Although, I think my favorite will be Tennyson.

I dislike Hemingway's poetry. I would kneel down before his prose and make an altar out of it but I just can't stand his poetry. I also don't like Robert Browning, his wife totally kicked his butt in the poetry scene.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:31 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

I really don't like reading all that old dead people poetry. I think it's annoying to have to translate it all. I'd rather read poems from this century.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue May 03, 2011 7:08 pm
EtCetera says...

I'll have to agree with KnightlyAngel, Robert Burns is quite awesome. As for the old dead people poetry, it's not like many people write anything exceedingly relevent these days. Half the "poetry" that you can come across is about relationships that don't work out. Don't get me wrong, this can be good, but it can be overdone. And it is good to get hints from those old dead people for something you want to write. You can just put more modern wording.
Back to Robert Burns, I actually know a bit about that. I did some research and stuff like that for an oral interp piece featuring works of Robert Burns. Obviously I gave the Highlander accent a shot and didn't do half bad.
I am a fan of some of Robert Frost's work and some other stuff. The work of King Solomon is really good too, if anyone catches my drift.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 am
Karzkin says...

I must agree with Mangawolf, Dickinson and Eliot. My battered copy of Eliot's collected poems travels everywhere with me.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:57 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

I think I'm most consistently in love with Seamus Heaney. If you look him up, try and find Digging, which I think is a very rich, wonderful poem. My tastes otherwise change very often, and I'm hectic picky.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:31 pm
Nightshade says...

I just looked up Digging. It's a fantastic poem. I haven't read a huge amount of poetry, but I've been reading more and more lately. Russell Edson is my favorite so far by a pretty wide margin. I've also enjoyed some of the Frost I've read, just not on the same level as Edson.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

Hi! My favorite Poet is called Imatiz Dhaker. My favorite poems of hers is This Room. She's such a wonderful poet! I discovered her when revising for my GCSE english anthology exam. I dislike Derek Walcott. I HATE his poem unrelated incidents! *shudders* And I like Maya Angelou, especially: I know why the caged bird sings...

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 pm
View Likes
Warrior Princess says...

Mainly I'm a sucker for British Romance poets: Wordsworth, Byron, and Tennyson especially. But I really like Walt Whitman and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow as well. And who doesn't love Emily Dickinson? As for modern poetry, I know barely any, sad to say.
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:35 am
hopeispeace says...

Edgar Allen Poe. Always.
~HopeisPeace

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm
View Likes
unmarkedterritory says...

I agree with all, and no judgements when I say this.
Eminem is one of the best poets in the entire world.

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing