z

Young Writers Society

Rhyme time

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:10 am
Adnamarine says...

First tip: rhyming poetry is much more difficult to get published than free verse, or any other non-rhyming style. The reason is simple: rhyming is rarely done well. That’s partly because it’s difficult; the other part is probably because a lot of people take it for granted that rhyming is as simple as paring up ‘cat’ and ‘hat’. I don’t say this to put you off rhyming. It’s the truth, but if you can pull it off, go for it. Hopefully, this will give you a hand.

First of all, you have to decide what style of rhyming fits best with your poem. That’s the essential element of writing poetry, isn’t it? Finding the most appropriate vehicle for the ideas you’re putting into words. If you use rhyme, it becomes a large part of that.

The most common form, the form you probably think of when you hear ‘rhyme,’ is end rhyme—rhyme at the ends of lines of poetry. From there you need a rhyme scheme, a pattern. And you have to stick to it. You must be consistent. For instance, you cannot use AABA in one stanza, ABAB in the next, and ABCA in the third, unless you’re going to go back and do it all over again (in which case your poem should be long enough to go back and do it a third time). When you’re using end-rhyme, you also do not leave the last line of a stanza dangling. Whatever rhyme scheme you use, the last line of each stanza ought to be a participant in a rhyme.

A tricky part about picking the words is fitting them to a rhythm. Rhythm is a whole other subject, but when you’re picking your words, you have three choices that affect rhythm. Consistency is not necessarily necessary here; you have to use your judgment, paying attention to how it affects the rhythm. You can pick feminine rhyme (two-syllable rhyme), masculine rhyme (one-syllable rhyme), or you can choose to make a rhyme that consists of two words. In that third case, two words are generally used on all the lines participating in that rhyme, but it’s not a rule. Just watch the rhythm.

There are still yet more rhyming styles for you to choice from. We are back to the consistency issue; it is best to stick to a specific kind, depending on the poem. It all depends on each and every individual poem; there are few rules that can be applied, without exception, to every single poem. Now, you can use exact rhyme, selecting each word to have an identical ending. You could also choose between slant rhyme and eye-rhyme. Slant rhyme is a rhyme that is close, for example ‘maze’ and ‘face’. Eye-rhymes are rhymes to the eye, not the ear; they look alike instead of sounding alike, for example ‘through’ and ‘trough’.

Those are all options for end rhyme, but the choices don’t end there. Actually, they start there. You would have to choose end-rhyme first. But you could instead choose internal rhyme, which is when you rhyme a word inside a line with the word at the end of the line. You could, though, add a little something to any poem, rhyming or no, by inserting rhyming words into lines where you will, whether or not one of the words is at the end of a line.

I’ll mention, briefly, a third option. If you’re looking to do something more intricate, you can combine the two—end-rhyme, and internal rhyme.
ex. From Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven
… While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor …

There are at least 13 more such pairs of lines with that rhyme scheme (which, if you examine the entire piece, is even more intricate, having, also, and end-rhyme scheme which goes: abcbbb, dbebbb, fbgbbb, hbibbb—needless to say, Poe is truly exceptional in his art)

There is one more problem to tackle to create a successful rhyme. Now, above are listed merely the options you have when including rhyme in your poem. It has to be up to you, in the end, to make the right choices, based on the content of your poem. But if you make all the right choices and don’t tackle this last part, you’ll gain nothing. I’m not going to say it’s more difficult, but it is certainly as difficult to tackle as the rest.

It’s simply this: you have to make your rhymes sound natural. Rhymes should simply exist; they can’t sound manufactured, and they certainly cannot sound forced. If you have the perfect rhyme, it sounds almost like an accident… but not quite an accident, because that has to be how it was meant to be—if you pull it off right. The poem has to need that rhyme. It needs to be built into the poem, not disconnected, branching off, or interrupting. That’s why choosing the right words can be so difficult. You have to choose not only a word that rhymes, but it has to be the word you would use anyway. It has to have exactly the meaning, and beyond that, the connotation, that you need to complement every single other word, not just its partner in rhyme (no pun intended, trust me).

Hopefully this helped, and showed you options you haven't considered, or maybe didn’t even know you have. Rhyming is tough, certainly. But if you can pull it off, worth it. After all, it’s not everybody that can style the perfect rhyme. :)

Good luck.
Last edited by Adnamarine on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 am
WaterVyper says...

Brilliant! I had no idea about all those types of rhymes; I only knew about end rhymes. I'll be sure to include other types in the next poems I'll write. Well, thank you for this, Adnamarine! You're a genius.

And I agree: I hate it when people think that rhyming is easy. It is most definitely not.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am
fluteluvr77 says...

Whoa that's a lot of different rhyme schemes...I only use the end rhymes, but I might just try out some other styles now. I always have trouble using rhymes that actually fit, and don't sound forced...Anyway, thanks for the tips Adnamarine! Oh, and the excerpt was from the Raven right?? I loved that poem, yet never noticed the rhyme scheme! Thanks for this post, it's really helpful...

fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:32 pm
peanutgallery007 says...

No problem, I can take a rhyme anytime! :wink: Rhymes are my favorite type of poetry, though like you said in the beginning, it is rarely done well! :)

Thank you for that information. I needed that to expand my Awesome Poetic Versitude! :wink: Kidding, I'm not that great at it yet.
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:26 am
chasingcolts21 says...

Rhyme schemes are hard. but taking a word and rhyming is simple. :P

You should submit this to Squills. Great article. :D
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 am
DustyFreeman says...

Whoa!
Rhyming and more rhyming!

I personally love to use rhyming in my poetry, and eeven in a few stories, so knowing all of this is awesome! :]
Then I find,
I feel this passion grow,
To face all that's been lost,
It's not too late to give control now.
Got YWS?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:56 pm
Krupp says...

I've never been a fan of rhyme, but i'm glad someone created a thread made to help others out with it, because it IS a frustrating thing to try and write..
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:47 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

A note to readers, I apologize in advance if I seem irate and offend anybody.

I don't know why people assume freeverse and standard rhyming are the only rhyme schemes available, if they even consider freeverse. These two are NOT the only rhyme schemes!

There's your standard rhyming. "Cat, hat, bat, sat," et cetera, et cetera, as you know it.

There's alliteration. The first consonant sounds ("changing," "charges, children") rhyme.

There's asonance. The first vowel sounds ("door," "bore") rhyme.

There's consonance. The last consonant sounds ("descant", "rampant") rhyme.

There's slant rhyme. The words that are supposedly rhyming may not seem like they should rhyme, but do because of how they're spelled or how they sound in relation to each other ("can", "ten").

There's freeverse. Freeverse is more contemporary, and grants more freedom in the poems, because you don't have to use just one type of rhyme, if any at all, to get your point across. The poem speaks as if you're talking to someone casually.

There's also the number of syllabyls per line. Some forms restrict syllabyls to a specific number than cannot be avoided; it makes the poem more, for lack of a better word, lyrical. Other forms say "okay, we have four in line one, five in line two, six in line three, and four in line four". And then freeverse - it's free.

Poetry is not like other forms of writing, like your novels and short stories and stuff. It has no standard! You could use country- or gang-slang, for all the readers care! Poetry is not restricted to one particular form; every single person is different, so, therefore, every poem is as well.

Yeah, all of these are points we have learned in my English class, a class on poetry. And, forgive me, but the people on this website are pissing me off with their "this doesn't rhyme!" crap in every single review.

Again, sorry if I seemed a bit irate and offended anybody...
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:40 pm
Elena_Ravenhill says...

I never thought of it this way, It gave me a better view on how to rhyme in my poetry.
I'll use this in the future. :thud:
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and
some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

Twelfth Night - William Shakespeare

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:02 pm
Young gun says...

The problem with free verse seems that its like an easy root.Generally, many times free verse does not come out so well because its simply an easy way of writing.Good free verse writing is not as easy as we think it is.
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk