z

Young Writers Society

How do you write poetry?

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:53 am
Meep says...

How do you, personally, go about the business of writing a poem?

(Sorry if this is not appropriate/in the wrong subforum/just plain stupid. Curiosity killed the cat, I guess.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:03 am
Cade says...

I do not know....it just happens....I honestly don't know how to answer that question.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:16 am
Snoink says...

Poetry is like... breathing. You do it because if you didn't, you wouldn't be able to breathe. O_o

Personally, when I'm feeling some sort of emotion and the words align themselves right, I write it down. Then, I'll edit it until I like it and it makes sense to me.

But it really varies from person to person.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:38 am
Emerson says...

I get random lines in my head, and continue them. Or maybe I have a general idea/thought that I want to express. They come to me...never. Hah, my poetry only gets written rarely. *shrugs*
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 am
Meep says...

I realized that this could sound a little ... irreverent? I don't mean for it to be, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm with you, Claudia. I get a line or two and work from there. It's the same with my prose. (For whatever reason, I write my best poetry in the shower.)

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:10 am
Cade says...

I know! I hate it when it comes in the shower, though, because there's nothing to write with and sometimes I forget it when I finally wash the shampoo out of my hair and get out of the shower.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

210 Reviews

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:00 pm
Meep says...

I usually speak my poems before I write them down (hence all of the italics and indents and weird line breaks), so coming up with them in the shower isn't a problem.

I didn't do any revising on paper for "exquisite." I "wrote" and "edited" the whole thing in the shower.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:05 pm
Layleun says...

And satisfaction brought her back.

Well, very carefully I suppose. I usually am inspired in someway, by feelings or nature. I'm queen of weird wording so I word what I'm thinking differently. Then I work around the line and make it into something unique.

~[~Lupe~]~

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:29 am
something euclidean says...

Personally, when I'm feeling some sort of emotion and the words align themselves right, I write it down. Then, I'll edit it until I like it and it makes sense to me.

that sounds familiar. Usually when I have some feeling or idea and I can't quite nail what it is I write poetry until I figure it out. And then quite a lot of moving of lines and stanzas ensues, because I write things sort of in cycles and not straight through and everything gets mixed up in the process.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:06 pm
Rydia says...

Sometimes I get a really cool title in my head and devlop a poem around that. Others it's a general idea or theme and then there's always the times when a line comes to me and the rest seems to fall into place. Also, I've been inspired by an event a few times like hurricanes and such.

Basically, whenever I have an idea, I scribble it down on a piece of paper (I'm the sort of person who always has a pen and a piece of paper near by. When I go out I tend to have them in my pocket and at home I have them scattered throughout every room of the house.) and then I work on it when I have the time until I'm satisfied with the finished poem.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:45 pm
Firestarter says...

I get an idea in my head. I tie it down to a few expressions which I usually jot down. Then I write it, allowing the lines to break when they feel natural and the words to come to me. Sometimes I wait until inspiration strikes me; however, this happens rarely, so often I just go with an idea and try and make something of it. Often it doesn't work. But many times it works well.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:09 pm
piepiemann22 says...

I find mine from real events in my life. Sadly, they aren't very happy, at least some of them. Now though Nature and music has inspired me, but it's not working to well.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:36 pm
alleycat13 says...

When I was younger, I'd just spout stuff---things that sounded good, neat phrases, intriguing words--and write it down. These"poems" weren't very poetic; they were more like thoughts on paper. Now, I find myself looking at them and thinking--man, it I rewrote this, it could be really cool. So I take that prose and give it a structure, trying to keep the feeling/meaning.

This is how it normally happens for me. I write a thought, then I edit it into a poem. I usually end up writing 3 versions, each one getting more "poetic". Or, occasionally, it all just comes to me, but that happens rarely.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:50 pm
Lynlyn says...

Like most people said, I usually just get a word, phrase, or image stuck in my head, and then I work from there. Sometimes I feel the rhythm before I start working, or I'll just start with two rhyming words. It differs from poem to poem. Usually, though, it's an image - some picture that's baked into my brain for one reason or another.

I don't write the stanzas in order. in fact, sometimes I'll start from the end and work backwards. I often can't come up with words at first, so I just put in squiggles or something like "[two-syllable word here]" rather than sitting around and mulling over one line for an hour. I figure when it's ready to be written, it will be there (which is why I hate doing poetry for school assignments). I rework and edit my poems a lot - I'm not one of those people who writes the entire thing at once and never changes a word. Quite the opposite, really.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:40 pm
melodicatastrophe says...

Usually, at the weirdest times, lines come to me and I make a note to make a poem out of them later.
This usually results in me forgetting the lines, but sometimes I remember to use them, and the work I post is my finishing peice, probably written over the course of two days of editing and re-reading and editing all over again, until I'm happy with the results.
Sometimes, I wake up with an extraordinary set of words stuck in my head, and sometimes, they turn into a poem in my head that day. I know, weird, but yeah, dreams inspire me simply because they're so random.
I can't possibly write a poem in five minutes or so, it would kill me. I never like my first few edits because they're so plain (except the lines that I started out with), and so I nitpick and tear them apart so many times the finished work does not look much like what I started out with.

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield