z

Young Writers Society

Is It Wrong?

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

It's definitely not wrong if it works for you. I'd be the same, I only take a few minutes to write a poem, I find I have to get it down fast before it goes out of my head, but then I play with it on and off over days or weeks, just a couple of minutes every time and change things. I think once you're revising and editing it doesn't really matter, and then you don't even need to be staring at it for an hour at a time. Whatever works for you is perfect!
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:57 pm
defendthelegend says...

You get ideas, they make a poem in minutes, you get ideas, they give you a stanza, you wait for your next set of ideas, it really should depend on your mood and what is really in your head.

It isn't rushing, people develop ideas at different rates, have different ways of thinking and imagining etc XD
I wrote your name in the sand and the sea washed it away! I wrote your name in my heart and there it will stay.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 pm
BenFranks says...

For me, poetry isn't meant to be a week long thing... it's a spur of the moment piece of literature.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:06 pm
eldEr says...

That is definately ok! A true poet is able to write from the heart, use emotion rather than logic of layout. I posted a poem that all my friends loved, I don't know if I have reviews on it here yet or not, but it took me about fourtyfive seconds to write.
If you're writing from your heart, the words usually flow quickly. Nothing wrong with that! :elephant:
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:47 am
Hypocrit says...

Galerius wrote:most of my poems which have won awards, i made in a short time of some random inspiration. no kidding. :shock:

Lulzzzzzz.

Ah, such an acclaimed poet.

P.S.(Before a ravenous pack of mods descends on me, this guy is my fwend. We cool lyke that, u cn b 2.)

1:23 is my average, from when I was doing a poem every hour. Mind you, 28 of those were done during work, so were probably a bit more hurried and short than usual.
You know how dumb the average guy is, right? Well, mathematically, by definition, half of them are even dumber than that.
JR ‘Bob’ Dobbs

TW's Red Cross Blue Shield. A CRITIQUE FOR EVERY YWSIAN!

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 pm
TheUnknownPoet says...

i am ashamed that you havnt managed to write one in under a minute, thats how we roll. its a challenge. try it.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun May 16, 2010 9:18 am
Emorykings says...

Personally, I haven't though much about it but I don't think that it really matters, there are some poems that I written in a matter of minutes some it takes me days to perfect and at the end of it all they always seem alright, most of the times you will not be able to tell the difference between them. it depends on how long its takes for you to come up with and idea and beign able to turn it into a poem.
when the answer to everything is lost then turn to the question in everything, cause everything is the only place you probably have not search

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 am
KarmilliaVane says...

View The blog:
http://www.savemetheblah.blogspot.com/
[may be harsh, but true]
Get followers(:
-Karmillia's Vane...

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:26 pm
tori1234 says...

It normally doesn't take me that long either. Though with songs, that's a whole different story. I don't know why, because songs have more repetition than poems (for me they do anyways).
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 pm
HarmonyGirl2012 says...

If you can write poetry that fast than maybe it is great. Depending on what you are writing, every piece takes a different amount of time. It is not wrong to write faster than others. For some people poetry will take days and for others, well minutes. I don't think any piece of writing is "wrong". Everyone is learning and everyone is creating. There isn't a certain amount of time frame you MUST get things done in. Everyone works at different speeds. So I don't think you need to worry about a thing. Keep writing :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:32 am
GyftedArtyst says...

It is not wrong at all. I sometimes take six months to write a poem or I can write a poem in a matter of minutes if my focus and atmosphere is good. I often have only a great open but nothing else so I will write maybe ten lines, and than I am stuck so I save it and forget about it. Some poems I wrote two yrs ago or last yr and I never finished them. Do not feel bad at all. We are all different,

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:05 pm
xjpalladinix says...

I do the same thing, but I feel as though I don't know how to edit my poem. All of the poems that I publish on this I have written in under a half hour as well. I don't understand how people can expand upon their poems, I find that my first drafts are always the best that they will ever be, and I would feel guilty for changing them.

Thank you for letting me read that, I don't feel so alone now. :D

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:47 am
Hibiscus says...

If you've got an idea, I suppose it shouldn't matter how long.

It's pretty much the same for me. If it takes longer it means that I'm either just winging it, or touching up on it to make it a nicer, cleaner poem. Like fixing up a rough draft.

But when I have an idea in mind, I get in a place that's silent and just start typing away. Doesn't take me too long, so I don't think it's necessarily cheating.

Everyone has a different pace.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Got Support~?
viewgroup.php?f=336

Reviews: 2
Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 am
GildedLily says...

Mainly I think that it depends on how well-formed the piece is in your mind before you write. If, in a sudden bout of inspiration, the idea justs come to you, fully formed, then much less time will be needed in order to polish and/or complete it. On the other hand, the opposite holds true for those who have a general idea what they want to write about but have to struggle to find the specific process or words to express it.

Reviews: 2
Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 am
GildedLily says...

Mainly I think that it depends on how well-formed the piece is in your mind before you write. If, in a sudden bout of inspiration, the idea justs come to you, fully formed, then much less time will be needed in order to polish and/or complete it. On the other hand, the opposite holds true for those who have a general idea what they want to write about but have to struggle to find the specific process or words to express it.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot