z

Young Writers Society

Lymerics(sp?)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Tue May 22, 2007 9:36 pm
Alice says...

ok i suck to the power of 20790681 with creating poems, i have good ideas but cannot put them into format, i thought of one earlier which i jotted down and when i started going over it i realized it would go much better in the form of a lymeric. I know the basicness of a lymeric as in the four lines but that' it now i'm unsure about if it will fit or now. I need help with the lymeric format.
I just lost the game.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 23, 2007 8:07 pm
sanguine_dreams says...

author13 wrote:ok i suck to the power of 20790681 with creating poems, i have good ideas but cannot put them into format, i thought of one earlier which i jotted down and when i started going over it i realized it would go much better in the form of a lymeric. I know the basicness of a lymeric as in the four lines but that' it now i'm unsure about if it will fit or now. I need help with the lymeric format.

(1) I would strongly recommend a spell checker.

If you have Firefox, updating it to version 2 will get you one that automatically checks forms like the ones used to post on the web.

If you have any other browser, go get Firefox! :wink: Or you could just use the "Spell Check" button that's two over from "submit" before you post. Whatever.

(2) A good place to look up poetry-related things is ShadowPoetry.com. Just go to "Resources"->"Types of Poetry"->Limerick.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 am
Teh Wozzinator says...

Okay...

One, it's spelled limerick.

Two... it has five lines, not four.

Here's the rhyming sequence:

Also, the first, second, and fifth lines are longer than the third and fourth.

Here's an example of one of mine (am I allowed to do this??? I'm not trying to advertise/spam, just giving an example... feel free to delete if it's not allowed.):

There once was a goldfish named Willie
Who was as big as he could be,
He go out at night
And take a bite
Out of fishermen on the sea.

It's obviously not that good, but an example.

Hope this helps...

Teh Wozzinator

By the way, Sanguine, I have the awesome Firefox will spell check. :D
Go K-State for North Division!!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:43 am
Mathlete says...

Well you can use the genericish limerick that people always refer to:

Pattern "A" There once was a man from Peru

Pattern "A" Who dreamed he was eating his shoe

Pattern "B" He awoke with a fright

Pattern "B" In the middle of the night

Pattern "A" To find that his dream had come true

Like Teh Wozzinator said, the last word rhymes with the last word of other lines that have the same pattern. Also, each rhyming pattern has the same, or a similar number of syllables in it. You also have to remember, though, that most limericks are intended to be funny. :lol:
9/5ths of the population aren't good with fractions

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:05 pm
Eimear says...

This is all very mathematical for me. Hmm, I would suggest just taking your time with poetry and reading a lot of it. In my own experience, most of my poems just come out- I can't even really explain it, although at the start of writing poetry it was truly very painful to churn out what I felt was an adequate attempt.

In short, although I know I've deviated greatly from the topic in hand, I believe that your poetry will sustain itself in time. You never know, it could be brilliant already! I must go and look up some of yours.

Best wishes,

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan