z

Young Writers Society

Shel Sylverstein

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:37 am
lillizard says...

Has anybody here ever read any of SS's poems?
If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a wisher, a lier, a magic bean buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, For we have some flax-golden tales to spin Come In! Come In!~Shel Silverstein

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:42 am
niteowl says...

Of course! But...wouldn't this be more appropriate in the Poetry Discussion forum? Oh mods...
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:51 am
Areida says...

Moved. ;)

And of course I've read Shel Silverstein! That man rocks my socks. Some of his stuff is downright classic, and the Giving Tree is so sweet.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:03 am
Fireweed says...

Shel Silverstien's awesome!! I never tire of his poems and illustrations... I love the quote in your siggy. That's one of his best poems...
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:30 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Ah yes. I like her poems.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 am
Areida says...

His poems, Grif. His.

The Man
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:43 am
Snoink says...

Oh gosh... I feel like hitting Grif with the book....

Yeah. I grew up on his poems and everything. It makes me happy just thinking about it. He combined characters with thepoetry, connecting it with pictures well. And it was so absurd, yet so true, that it's just great stuff. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:45 am
Cassandra says...

I heart Shel Silverstein! Actually, three of his books are residing right in this very room on the bookshelf!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:41 pm
lillizard says...

I have read Where the Sidewalk Ends and The Giving Tree, and both of the books rock!
If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a wisher, a lier, a magic bean buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, For we have some flax-golden tales to spin Come In! Come In!~Shel Silverstein

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:11 pm
lexy says...

No I have never heard of him/her. Are they any good?
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:43 pm
Cassandra says...

lexy wrote:No I have never heard of him/her. Are they any good?

^ Seriously?

You poor, deprived girl.

Go to your local library, type "Shel Silverstein" into the catalog search engine thing and they should have at least one of his books. They're nice books of fun, rhyming poetry and a real pleasure to read. I think so, anyway. Perfect for little kids and grownups alike, and those of us inbetween. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Via says...

Oh my goodness...are you kidding me?

I lived on his books in school. Everytime we went to the library to get independent reading books, I got an SS book. Now, if I have the chance to get my hands on one....I still do. His work is awesome. It's funny...and there are just way too many melodramatic poems anymore. You need that release every once in awhile! :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
— Audrey Hepburn