z

Young Writers Society

Interesting 'Quirks' ;) (Such as Synesthesia)

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:59 am
Monki says...

I have an assignment for my AP Creative Writing class. We have to write a novel by the end of this year (and we're getting our books published--if anyone finds them good enough). My issue is, I have serious writer's block. Until the idea of writing about a teen with some 'disease' or 'syndrome' hit me. I was thinking something along the lines of Synesthesia. It's a very interesting disease and I've been researching it for about 2 1/2 hours now. Unless someone can help me think of a better, more interesting one, this will be the one I use.

Also, if you are one who has Synesthesia (please don't lie), I would love your guidance and help!

Oh, and here's what Synesthesia is for those of you who don't know :
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/syne.html
Last edited by Monki on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:20 am
Prokaryote says...

Morgellons disease is pretty weird. Even if you don't use it, you should read about it; it's fascinating.

Prok

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:15 am
Meep says...

Synesthesia isn't a disease. (The Wikipedia article is actually pretty handy.)

I, personally, am not synesthetic, but I know people who are - one who hears colors, and one who associates colors with letters - so maybe I'll be able to help a little bit?
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

99 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:46 am
Monki says...

Thanks Prok. There are a few books that have been written about Syn. so I might use that "disease" instead.

Meep > I know it's not a disease. I was thinking that I was typing what you just replied to, but I didn't know what else to call it.
That is cool that you know people like with it though. It's really interesting. You could be some sort of help to me, couldn't you? ;)
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:03 am
Emerson says...

Crysi has synesthasia.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:40 am
Teague says...

I personally have vitiligo, which is basically a random loss of skin pigmentation. It's mostly an aesthetic disease, and I've never had a problem with it (it only affects a small, hard-to-see patch on my chin), but I've heard testaments that in more severe cases and on those with darker complexions, it can be quite emotionally traumatizing.

*shrugs* It's the only semi-interesting disease I know of.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 am
View Likes
chocoholic says...

Mental health issues are very interesting, if you wanted something a bit different. I suffer from depression, although it hasn't been diagnosed, I've done all this research and I have it.

Also cerebral paulsey (sp?) is very interesting.

Sorry, I don't know anybody extrememly sick or anything like that.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:01 am
View Likes
Via says...

Congenital Analgia is one of the most interesting diseases I think there is. It's basically where you can't feel pain. It really disturbs your life because even though you can't feel pain you can still be hurt or sick so you could be dying or having a heartattack or have internal bleeding or something and you would never know. And you have no idea when you are sick because you can't feel it. It's a disease the runs your life and there is only something like 25 people in the world who have this disease so it's rare. It would be pretty cool to write a novel about!

Riley-Day Syndrome is very, very similar as well and is more indepth.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

99 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:39 am
Monki says...

All of you helped a lot. I checked out all of the links. I think I've come to the decision though, that Keile (main character's name) will have Riley-Day Syndrome (many thanks to Via for that one) and Synesthesis. :) All of those 'diseases'/syndromes/I don't know what else to call them are really interesting, but it would be too unrealistic to use so many. :(
It will be rather interesting writing about two things that I don't have (but I do wish I had Synesthesis, not Riley-Day Syndrome--that would suck). I keep sort of wishing that I did have them though, so the book will sound more realistic.

UPDATE : The wishing isn't working. Lol. Big shocker there.
Any more suggestions will be a big help. I'm sort of scared to write about the Synesthesis though, because I've read so many books about it that I'm scared I'll use another author's idea without knowing and BAM! I'll be accused of plaugurism (sp?).

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:41 am
Crysi says...

I would like to echo Meep in saying (haughtily and in an injured manner) that synesthesia is not a disease.

I would also like to echo (and tacklelick her for remembering -- not that I or my caps let her easily forget, haha) Suzanne in saying that I have synesthesia. PM me and I can give you a bit more insight to it, links to a few sites that might help you out, examples, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!
Love and Light

99 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:51 am
Monki says...

Thanks Crysi. And sorry about the whole misunderstanding, calling it a disease... I was unsure of what to call it. I know what Synesthesis is, but I'm not sure what to call it, as in... a category. If that makes sense. Don't be hurt though. I'm not trying to make fun or anything. In fact, I think it's really cool and I wish I had it--although I think it would get a tad overwhelming sometimes, right?

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:49 am
Crysi says...

No worries. I just like tormenting people. ^^

Yeah, definitely can get overwhelming. Read my PM, haha. Or just yell in all caps in the chat and see what I say. ;)

I totally know what you mean, not knowing what to call it. Personally, I call it a "condition." Or a quirk. :) "Disease" just makes it sound like something bad, like a virus that can be caught and spread and such.
Love and Light

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 pm
Via says...

Awesome Monki! PM me if you want and I can tell you a little bit more about Riley-Day that isn't on the web. Plus I want your requirements! :)
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

99 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:11 pm
Monki says...

Thank you both. :) I'll PM you as soon as possible Via. I'm sort of outlining right now. Oh, the joy of outlining. :p Thanks again everybody. ;)

99 Reviews

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:33 pm
Monki says...

;) Changed the title. Hope you like it Crysi!

Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr