z

Young Writers Society

Ma'am

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:44 am
Leja says...

In this modern time, is it ever appropriate to call someone "Ma'am" or "Sir" anymore? If so, where/when?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:54 am
Areida says...

Wow, I certainly hope so, because I call everyone sir or ma'am if they're older than me, or even just in a position of respect.

Maybe it's a Southern thing (I'm from Texas), but I'm not alone in that either. It's typical for me to be called ma'am while I'm at work in the summers, and that's just at a snow cone stand!

I think it's more than appropriate; it's necessary. It annoys me to hear people "uhhh"ing and "yeah"ing to adults/people who deserve respect. Using sir and ma'am is a nice gesture, I think, rather like holding doors for people. It's just polite.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:59 am
Flemzo says...

I agree with Areida. I use "Sir" and "Ma'am" on the phone at work, and when people at church are talking to me. I don't use it in the house much, but I sometimes use it in school (for teachers I really respect)

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:01 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I agree with Ari -- it's respectful and, I think, necessary. Waiters, waitresses, the clerk at a store, the guy who you catch up with because he dropped his wallet. (Waiters and waitresses especially. These people handle your food. XD)

EDIT: And no, I'm not Southern. :roll:
Last edited by Sumi H. Inkblot on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohmeohmy

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:38 am
Cade says...

I've never used "Sir" or "Ma'am" but I suppose it's more common in the southern United States....I think I've heard my cousins from Virginia say it before. I think if I called an adult Sir or Ma'am it would almost be disrespectful because here no one says it except in a humorous context. It's more common for me and my peers to respectfully address an adult as "Mr. ____" or "Ms. _____".
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:56 am
Sam says...

If it's an adult whose name I don't know, I usually use 'sir' or 'ma'am'. Nebraska is in that weird balance between north and south, though- part of the time people will be delighted, otherwise they'll think it's "funny business".
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:02 am
Snoink says...

I would smile and say, "What's your name again?"

Sir or ma'am is okay for boy scouts to use to strangers but... you get funny looks if you use it here. And then sometimes it just startles people.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:57 pm
Stori says...

I agree, showing respect is important.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:07 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I think 'Ma'am' is a very American thing (unless you're addressing the Queen, of course), so I've never heard it used here (apart from people talking to aforementioned Queen). Instead, we tend to use 'Miss'. Especially in school. It's 'Yes, Miss', 'No, Sir'. I'd only call someone 'Miss' or 'Sir', though, if I didn't know them, and even then I'll tend to just say 'yes' and 'no'. I don't think it's absolutely necessary in all circumstances. In fact, I think people would find it quite strange if you addressed them as 'Miss' or 'Sir' in the day-to-day running of things.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 pm
Gladius says...

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote:Waiter, Waitresses, the clerk at the store, the guy who you catch up with because he dropped his wallet.

Sam wrote:If it's an adult whose name I don't know, I usually use 'sir' or 'ma'am'

So true, Sumi and Sam (lol that was funny!). *cough*cough*

Anyway, soldiers also use Sir and Ma'am pretty much all the time, normally because they're adressing a superior. It's also just good manners to call someone 'sir' or 'ma'am' whenever you have to speak to someone you don't know or do respect. Still, soldiers are more likely to call any person older or in a position of command/respect sir or ma'am than us civilian folk because of their training.
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17 pm
StellaThomas says...

I don't use "Ma'am". But in school, we always say "Sir," and "Miss" (yes, even if she's married!) So if you (well, if I) wanted to ask a question (which I usually do) I'd start "Sir," or "Miss."

Ma'am to me just sounds a bit archaic, although that's probably just from society here or something.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:39 am
VampX13 says...

I rarely use these Ma'm or Sir and actually hate be referred to as either. (Sir, especially, hee-hee.) But I don't know if I'm just some rebel-of-a-teen b/c I don't use or if it's merely b/c they'd probably only come up if I spoke with an older stanger and, when I do speak with the strangers (older or younger), I almost never refer to them personally.

?
"I'm an actress, not a beauty." -from the movie, Stage Beauty

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:51 pm
snap says...

I'm from Arizona, and I tend to use it a lot. I work at a bank, so a lot of times I'll use names (Mr./Ms. So-and-so), but when I'm asked a question, I'll say "Yes, ma'am," or "No, sir." If the woman is younger, however, I'll use "miss." Likewise, it drives me crazy when someone refers to me as "ma'am". I'd rather be called "miss," because calling me "ma'am" makes me feel out of place and old. :) (As a side note, and of no relevance whatsoever, I THINK, and don't quote me on this, but I think ma'am is a shortened version of "madam" and, as such, is very American. But, like I said, I could be wrong. :))
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:44 pm
Twit says...

I've never heard anyone use either term over here in Britain. Maybe it's just a Yank thing?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 am
scotty.knows says...

My parents taught me from the time I was just a little kid to refer to adult men and women as "Sir" and "Ma'am". I'm a Yankee too. I live in Idaho.*

It was only months later, when we stopped doing it. The reason: It offended many people.

Go figure, huh?

Who would think that a term of respect would offend people. It wasn't men, as much as women.

Typical response to saying, Yes, Ma'am.:"Ma'am? That's what you call my mother."

I think they thought it made them sound old.

So that's been my experience. I don't call women "Ma'am" any more. I still say "Sir" every now and then, though. Mostly to men when I've gotten in trouble.

*Note: I know I said I live in Idaho, and if any internet stalkers come after me or my family, I'll get really ticked and rip their guts out.
'Merikuh!

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning