z

Young Writers Society

Photographic Reaserch and the Law!

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:32 pm
tinny says...

I've decided to base my newest novel idea locally, 'cause I found there's some pretty nice stuff around here (it's a miracle I tell you) and for some reason I decided taking photos of key places would be a great idea. There's alot of places withing walking distance in Town, and I can get to other places with a simple bus trip, like York *drools at thought of the shambles*

My problem is with permission and stuff, there's this beautiful little windly house that I'd love to take a picture of, but I'm sure people live there, and I'm also pretty sure that I'd need thier permission to take a picture of thier house, and to post it online if I decided I wanted to share.

Would I be okay if I just knocked on the door and asked them politely, or would I need written permission to photograph thier house?
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:42 pm
Emerson says...

Oh, that sounds cool. But then, laws are so bothersome ^^;

If I were you [which I'm obviously not] I'd just take a picture and say, 'devil take them,' and post it online, haha.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

189 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 pm
tinny says...

I would take a photo and then run away, I've just got a terrible fear of retribution XD

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:15 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I'd just take it and put it up anyway, as long as you're not trespassing on their property, I doubt they can do anything, and what is the likelihood that they're regular visits to this site anyway?

Of course, if you're that bothered, you could just ask permission, but I definitely don't think you need it in writing. It's not as if you're puting it up for sale... XD
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:41 am
Lynlyn says...

You live near York? I used to live not far from there when I was younger.

Yeah, I'm not sure there really is anything wrong with taking a picture as long as you're not on their property and no people appear in the picture (I could be wrong though). It would, of course, be *polite* to ask, but seeing as you don't know the people who live there it would be a little difficult.

I went to the Cotswolds last month and snapped photos of lots of random people's houses without asking. Not that I am exactly a model citizen, but it has been done.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 pm
Alainna says...

Well, I reckon you're better off just knocking on the door, explaining and asking permission from whoever is there.

However, if you're scared then the whole 'staking the place out and taking the photo when you think the place is empty and then RUNNING for it' would work.....

Your best bet is probably just to ask politely.

Alainna
xxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 pm
Fishr says...

Or have your younger sibling do it for you. XD
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:42 pm
tinny says...

Thanks all :D so it sounds like I don't really need written permission, I just know you do for photos and recording of people, and was worried that it might be the same for property.

I think if I go and no-one's in, I'll just take a picture. And if someone's in and they say no, I'll hide in the bushes in the park across the road and take a picture anyway XD

You live near York? I used to live not far from there when I was younger.

I'm not sure if you'd say 'near', I live a good hours drive away, but my Dad works there and he said he'd give me a lift to avoid bus fare, and get a picture of the shambles empty *squees*

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:08 am
kktoday says...

I think technically, if you're on public property you're allowed to photograph what you want [within reason]. If you want to step onto their lawn to take it, that's different, though. It's polite to ask to take and/or to delete a photo of someone's house if they ask, but you don't have to.

Check out this link for questions on your rights. It may help.

UK:
http://www.sirimo.co.uk/media/UKPhotographersRights.pdf

USA:
http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

AUSTRALIA:
http://www.4020.net/unposed/photorights.shtml

Hope that helps. =)
If only you could see
How heaven stills when you speak
I know all your days
And I have wrapped you in mystery
(My Love Hasn't Grown Cold; Bethany Dillon)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:59 am
Blooregard Q. Kazoo says...

kktoday is right. If you take the picture within or from a public area, then it is in your rights to not only take a picture of a house, but even to sell it as well.

The legal idea here is that they're holding it out in public and thus have no reasonable expectation to privacy. Of course, what becomes tricky is if you take a picture of a person while they are inside their house. If the blinds are somewhat down, then you have no right to take their photo. However, if the blinds are up, do they have a reasonable expectation to privacy?

Heh, my dad's a lawyer and I love going over this stuff!

189 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 am
tinny says...

Ah, so I don't need permission. that's good because Iwent out yesterday and took the pictures, no-one was in so I couldn't ask XD

And thanks kktoday, those links were an awesome help, and Kazoo, though I must say the argument that they're showing thier property publicly allows photographs doesn't half sound strange. But I never did really understand the law XD

And thank you again to everyone who helped me here ^^

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix