z

Young Writers Society

Ratty Opinions

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:18 am
cat4prowl says...

Okay, weird topic I know, but I have 3(used to be 11) rats and I'm thinking about writing a rat story. So I want you to tell me your opinions on them, just so I can get a more rounded view.

My views are kind of limited, seeing as when I see a rat I'd be likely to pick it up and kiss it on the nose rather than shriek with fear. :roll:

What do you think of when you hear the word rat?

Anything you have to say would help most likely, so please respond. Thanks!!
(I hope this is the right forum?)

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:23 pm
Azila says...

Firstly, there are the people like you (and me!) who love rats.

But I know a lot of people who associate the word "rat" with plague, disease and filth. Also, my mother for instance is an animal lover, but she gets grossed out by the bald tails that "look like worms." She doesn't scream and ask people to kill a rat if she sees one, but she doesn't want to kiss them either. I think that's how a lot of people are.

There are also the people like my aunt who just hate all rodents, and rats send shivers of disgust up their spines...

Is this what you're looking for?

Long live the rats! :D
~Azila~

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:24 pm
cat4prowl says...

Yes! that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! Anyone else?

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:40 pm
deleted6 says...

Mrs Frisby and The Rats of Nimh anyone?

Yeh that's a great book. Shows it quite good.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:26 pm
Perra says...

When I hear the word 'rat', I think of Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective and his song. I also think of The Secret of NIMH and An American Tail and how cool the rats looked. So, yeah, I like them, with their noses, teeth, and tail and all. Their cute and my favourite rodent. Of course, I wouldn't mess with a wild one because their wild and may carry diseases.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 am
Alainna says...

When I think of rats I think of the evil one we had lurking about in the garden about nine years ago. But we have a cat, so.........

To me, rats are dirty. Having said that, I don't mind domestic rats. And I like mice.

Perhaps you can touch on the idea that mice are liked more than rats? Just a thought......

Overall, if I saw a rat in my house and it was uninvited (ie. not domestic) I would scream the house down.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:07 pm
Swires says...

I have two views of rats.

I used to have them as pets also - they are an intelligant, loving creature (much better than a hamster or gerbil). However the majority of the population loathes them - and to be honest I loathe the Brown and Black rats which live in sewers, they are vermin which carry illness and disease.

The same can be said of human characters. There are nice humans and evil humans. Why not have the same in your story?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:09 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I don't really know anything about rats...the only experience I've had with them is when one ran into my kitchen. My mum screamed and tried hitting it with a brush, my siblings ran out of the room, and I sat calmly at the table. They don't bother me if they're just there, but, that said, I wouldn't pick one up. Apparently wild ones carry disease...I vaguely remember hearing something about it being very very bad if the tail touches you...don't know if there's truth to that. I would recommend reading "Switchers" by Kate Thompson as that deals with rats a lot.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson