z

Young Writers Society

Music instruments

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:53 pm
Krupp says...

I'm currently writing a book about a group of college musicians forming a band. The sound of their style is going to (most likely, anyways. I'm not too sure yet.) revolve around the styles of metal, jazz, progressive rock, etc.

If anyone knows anything about instruments relating to those genres up above, I could use the help. The only instrument I've got any knowledge in is drumming and percussion.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:04 pm
Flemzo says...

Krupp wrote:I'm currently writing a book about a group of college musicians forming a band. The sound of their style is going to (most likely, anyways. I'm not too sure yet.) revolve around the styles of metal, jazz, progressive rock, etc.

If anyone knows anything about instruments relating to those genres up above, I could use the help. The only instrument I've got any knowledge in is drumming and percussion.

Metal and progressive rock are the same, essentially. Obviously you will have your drummer on a kit, then you will have a bassist, a guitar, and a lead singer. The lead singer sometimes plays a rhythm guitar (the basic chord progression), while the other guitarist plays lead. Sometimes there's a keyboardist.

For a good metal set-up, Showbread has a really unique one: there's the usual lead singer, a bassist, a guitarists, a drummer on a kit, but they threw in a guy who plays the keytar, which was cool.

Skillet is another good metal set-up, with drummer, keyboardist, bassist, and lead singer (who plays guitar).

As for jazz, depends on what you want in terms of group size. All jazz ensembles have a drummer, but depending on the size of the group, you can throw in any of the following instruments: piano, guitar, bass, trumpet, trombone, saxaphone, clarinet (rare), or flute (rare).

The most recent ensemble I've seen was bass, drums, trumpet, trombone, and guitar, but there's a jazz trio called Beatlejazz (they do jazz covers of Beatles songs) that's simply bass, drums, and piano. Again, depending on the size of the group, you could have any array of instruments.

Hopefully this helps a little bit!

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:07 pm
View Likes
Krupp says...

Flemzo wrote:
Krupp wrote:I'm currently writing a book about a group of college musicians forming a band. The sound of their style is going to (most likely, anyways. I'm not too sure yet.) revolve around the styles of metal, jazz, progressive rock, etc.

Metal and progressive rock are the same, essentially. Obviously you will have your drummer on a kit, then you will have a bassist, a guitar, and a lead singer. The lead singer sometimes plays a rhythm guitar (the basic chord progression), while the other guitarist plays lead. Sometimes there's a keyboardist.

For a good metal set-up, Showbread has a really unique one: there's the usual lead singer, a bassist, a guitarists, a drummer on a kit, but they threw in a guy who plays the keytar, which was cool.

Skillet is another good metal set-up, with drummer, keyboardist, bassist, and lead singer (who plays guitar).

As for jazz, depends on what you want in terms of group size. All jazz ensembles have a drummer, but depending on the size of the group, you can throw in any of the following instruments: piano, guitar, bass, trumpet, trombone, saxaphone, clarinet (rare), or flute (rare).

The most recent ensemble I've seen was bass, drums, trumpet, trombone, and guitar, but there's a jazz trio called Beatlejazz (they do jazz covers of Beatles songs) that's simply bass, drums, and piano. Again, depending on the size of the group, you could have any array of instruments.

Hopefully this helps a little bit!

yeah, it does. Especially the jazz part.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug