z

Young Writers Society

The Epic Search To Fill The Cliche Bank

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:24 pm
Twit says...

What makes for a cliched storyline and cliched hero behaviour?

It's for an idea for a story I had while watching The Fellowship of the Ring, and it's all rather complicated, and it's probably been done before, but it's not meant to be serious, so I'm not quibbling...

Anyway, what fills a cliched story? Give me everything I need to write a cliched storyline! Every teensy weensy ickle miniscule tiny little microscopic little thing is welcomed.

Fill the Cliche Bank!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:51 pm
jonny911 says...

topic21596.html

There are 3 cliche links here.

I can't wait to see that story.
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:42 am
Twit says...

Thanks for those! :D
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Rydia says...

Have a hero, have a villain who was previously best friends with the hero, have some dragons and other such mythical beasts and there you go - huge cliche. Lol. Okay so you need a few other things like a love triangle wouldn't hurt and some very over dramatic pasts. It depends on your genre though to be honest. For example, a gothic cliche would involve some sort of dark, secret room, perhaps a carriage and lots of black, red and white while a fantasy cliche would involve dragins, hugely superior good guys who doubt their abilities and quests that need to be fulfilled. So which genre is it?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:09 am
J. Wilder says...

A lot of things on the Mary-Sue Litmus Test are funny cliches.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 am
Twit says...

Fantasy, Kitty. It's kind of weird, but it's these characters who start off by being cliched ones - beautiful heroine, self-doubting hero, sidekick, comic relief, street urchin (who isn't really a street urchin, but a kid from this world and the M/C), annoying weird little creature, etc, etc. The story is about the cliched quest they have to go on to save the world, and how they try and break free from the cliche. They try and change the way they behave, so they're not cliched, and they try to change the events happening to them as well, to defeat the cliches there. I don't whether it'll work or not, but it'd be fun to write. :roll:

#TNT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:10 pm
Rydia says...

Oooh, it sounds it and in that case you simply must have some mysterious elf who aids them on their quest. Or maybe an all knowing, wise dragon who loves riddles. Or an all powerful wizard.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:35 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yes, don't forget the wise old man with a long silver beard who seems to know all, but never tells. And, of course, he must die half-way through, but then come back to life, by one means or another. And the antagonist who is the hero's family member, though we don't find this out 'till later.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:45 pm
Twit says...

In other words, mimic Eragon as much as possible?

#TNT

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:48 pm
Flemzo says...

The end should be a huge battle, where the heroes appear to be losing, but then miraculously a minor character from earlier in the story reappears and sacrifices himself to aide the battle in the heroes' favor.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:49 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

ئ twit ئ wrote:In other words, mimic Eragon as much as possible?

Exactly :wink: And do it in style!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:04 am
logosgal says...

Cpt. Smurf wrote:
ئ twit ئ wrote:In other words, mimic Eragon as much as possible?

Exactly :wink: And do it in style!
Star Wars, too! Especially the older ones.
Home is where the books are.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:24 pm
Gahks says...

The hero dies a horrible death and miraculously comes back to life when after endless resuscitation, all hope is lost.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:32 am
gingerheartsyou says...

Like specific cliches?

There are 25 YA cliches here http://joelleanthony.com/my-non-fiction/red-hair-is-not-as-common-as-you-think-by-joelle-anthony/

here are a bunch of fantasy cliches
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/8584/stuff/cliche.html

Hope it helps, your project sounds interesting!
"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better.
-George E. Woodberry

I can factcheck ur flashback outfits
— SirenCymbaline