z

Young Writers Society

The Greek Muses

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:01 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I need some more info on the greek muses.

I know that there are nine, and I won't bother to type their names for now. And that Apollo is their patron god, in a sort of way.

Help?

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:03 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Oookay, hon, here it goes, a lowdown on the Greek Mousai.

Yes, there are nine.
- Calliope, who is the head muse of sorts, she is the muse of epic/heroic poetry. She was a lover of Apollo. She is usually seen with a writing table and a stylus. Orpheus, mythic Greek poet and bard, is her son.
- Clio, the muse of history. They say she introduced the Phoenician alphabet into Greece. She is usually seen with a parchment scroll and tablets.
- Erato, the muse of erotic poetry, lyrics, and songs. Usually seen with a lyre, the musical instrument.
- Euterpe, the muse of music and lyric poetry. Also the muse of flute playing. She is often depicted playing a flute or double flute which she is attributed to inventing.
- Melpomene, the muse of tragedy. She is usually seen wearing cothurnus, boots worn by tragic actors in Greek theater. Sometimes she is depicted holding a knife or club in one hand and a mask in the other.
- Polyhymia, the muse of sacred song/hymn, oratory, singing and rhetoric. She always seems so depressed.
- Terpsichore, the muse of dance. The strangest thing she is usually depicted sitting down.
- Thalia, the muse of comedy. Also one of the Graces. She is usually depicted with a comic mask and a shepherd's crook (staff).
- Urania, the muse of astronomy. She is usually seen with a globe in her left hand and a peg in her right hand. She is always looking toward the sky.

The Muses are the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, the goddess of memory. They are run by the god Apollo, who acts kind of like a symphony conductor.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak