z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 6)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:30 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, that was --

he--

but--

"That's different," she said, unable to find the words to protest in her brain, much less verbalize them. She gestured vaguely. Why couldn't he see that didn't have anything to do with what a monster she was?

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:31 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Who told you that?" Gaius prompted.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She shrugged, feeling discomfort crawling up her spine like an itch that couldn't be scratched. Her face burned more, too, and she didn't make eye contact as she tried to distill it. To figure out how to prove to him that she was right and he was wrong.

"I'm just like him," she said at last. It wasn't hard to point fingers at who had told her that. "I'm angry and manipulative and just like him. He was exactly like me when he was my age, and then he turned into... I'm going to turn into..."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"If he told you that, why the fuck should you believe a word he says? You've said it yourself--he's a manipulative bastard. And from what Tomhas tells me I can't imagine he had a father or mother half as good as your father was to you. And he certainly didn't have a man like Tomhas in his life. He became what he was because he chose to, simple as that. You, Ky, are nothing at all like Aleth. Nor will you ever be."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:40 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"I hope not," she whispered earnestly, looking back at him. "I don't want to be. I just -- if I don't try hard enough, then I might. Or maybe I already am and just lying to everyone."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"If I were a liar I'd say I could read minds," Gaius said mildly. "I'd say I can see that you won't turn out like him. But I'm not a mind reader. I'll tell you what I am. I'm an observer. I see and hear as much as I'm able, and I've been watching you carefully ever since I met you, trying to figure out why on earth Tomhas would take in a stranger when he's always been so afraid of interfering personally. And based on my expansive expertise in the subject of personality and social cues, you display no signs of ever turning into any sort of monster. You're unceasingly and apologetically kind."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky didn't realize she was holding her breath until she let it out at that, shoulders relaxing as the rest of her defiance crumbled. That was so, so good to hear. Gaius watched as closely as Aleth did. And had far, far less reason to lie to her than Aleth did.

Gaius could see straight through her. Called her on her bullshit numerous times. Cut through her defenses, even now. Even if he wasn't a mind reader, he may as well be. She'd been doing her absolute best to keep her act together during the Meeting, and he'd poked holes in her story and saw the truth, no matter how hard she tried.

Maybe he saw the truth here, too.

She took several deep, shaky breaths, trying to think of how to respond.

(I enjoy how this turned from an argument into Gaius playing therapist xD Ky's power is unmatched hahaha she befriends 600-year-old cryptids and makes Gaius, of all people, be emotionally supportive hahah)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:33 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(She's got the power of empathy on her side!)

Gaius gave her a few moments, glad to see the fight had gone out of her. He didn't want to be angry at her anymore, and it seemed hopefully that she felt the same way.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky was tired. It seemed like her anger had taken every last bit of energy she had as it left. Still. She was glad for it. Glad that he’d absorbed her anger and talked her through it. Perhaps he wasn’t entirely an asshole after all.

She owed him yet another apology.

“Thank you,” she murmured at least, realizing it was her turn to talk and feeling as though she should keep it going. In a different direction no doubt, but still keeping it moving. “The thought of turning into him scares me far more than the assassins ever could.” Or Ruh. Or Gaius himself for that matter.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:03 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I don't think you have to worry. He seemed to place self preservation first; you've proven time and time again that you do just the opposite. Something as strongly ingrained in you as that isn't likely to change." He glanced toward his tent; it was growing light now and people would be starting to move around. He ought to wrap up, glad as he was that Ky seemed to have come down from her tirade and was agreeing with him somewhat. He probably ought to apologize for the provocation, but he was still a bit vexed with her.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:36 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded, pulling her furs closer around herself, hyping herself up for the necessary apology. She needed him to know it was genuine. That she was legitimately sorry, not just apologizing out of obligation. “… I’m sorry. It wasn’t right of me to take my anger out upon you.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:39 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm not upset about that," he said with a shrug. "As I said a few days ago, you have lots to be angry about. It's not healthy to bottle it up." Pot calling the kettle black there, but that was fine. He sighed; she had apologized and now he supposed he needed to do the same. "I should have left well enough alone," he told her. "Didn't expect you to be as angry as you were, but I understand why."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:47 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded. She couldn’t say he was wrong there. They were both kind of dicks about it. Even though she tried to remind herself again that he’d been trying to do a good thing. “I will… work on learning how to communicate more effectively.” Work on being honest about how she was feeling rather than shutting down or lashing out.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius dipped his head. "I appreciate that. Talk to us if we bother you, tell us what's going on if you like. And I suppose I'll try not to baby you, if that's how you see it."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:54 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded again. “I appreciate that as well.”

She felt like adding something about her also being an observer. That Aleth had trained her notice body language and guarded words and pick up on context clues. She appreciated they were trying to protect her. But watching them dance around her emotions made her feel childish. And, maybe she was being childish. But she wasn’t naive. And she’d appreciate being treated as if she wasn’t.

[they/he]

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage