z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 3)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:51 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You might meet him." Sera shrugged. "Usually the contract is just sent to him for a signature and that's that. You won't have anything to fear from him, don't worry."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:55 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes, ma’am,” Ky bobbed her head. She was letting her anxiety get the better of her. “… do I get to keep my name?”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:58 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Of course, if you want to! Tomhas wouldn't say no to that. What is your last name?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:04 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Ruiarc, ma’am!” She brightened as she remembered the best part. “Kylia Ruiarc! He already said I could have Kylia back!” She hesitated, realizing that that comment probably didn’t make sense since Sera didn’t know the context.

“Aleth thought people would respect him less if they knew he had a girl for an assistant so he made me wear a binder and go by Kyber,” she explained. “… well. I got to keep the nickname Ky both ways. But now I don’t have to be Kyber ever again.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sera stared at her for a moment, speechless. Then she shook her head and looked away. "I'm glad you're reclaiming your name, dear. Do you prefer Kylia rather than Ky, then?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:26 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(I’m at dinner again so gonna be slow again!)

“I’m okay with either!” Ky said brightly. “Everyone called me Ky when I was a kid. Unless Papa was either being soft, or if he was mad — never in between.” She laughed a bit.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:29 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(No worries!)

Sera chuckled warmly, though she still looked disturbed. "Good to know. It's good to meet you under peaceful circumstances then, Ky Ruiarc."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:45 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“You as well,” she said with a grin. “Kyber sucked.” She hesitated, smile faltering. “It wasn’t really my fault, though. He was awful if I didn’t lie for him.” She shook herself. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to bring down the mood. Things are better, now!” She forced another grin. “So much better.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I hope you heal quickly." Sera grimaced. "But you're not at fault, Ky. He sounds like a sick man, and cruel besides. He shouldn't have harmed you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky hesitated. Deep down she wanted to believe it was true. But she’d spent over a year being told otherwise.

“I mean… he didn’t hurt me if I wasn’t bad.” She put her arm across her abdomen, rubbing at the scars. “…I just really didn’t want to be bad. That was…” she cringed. “I feel like he was dramatic sometimes. I…” she wrinkled her nose. “Well, it was better to be good… I want to be good.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:09 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Hurting people just because they make a mistake is a foolhardy thing to do," Sera said firmly. "People who do that are worse than animals, and that's fact. I speak from experience, dear."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:19 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded. She was right. She just needed to get the boldness to believe it herself again.

“… I really hope he doesn’t hurt Lord Loquitur,” Ky said earnestly. “I just… he’s so awful… and he always hurts everyone. Always. His lordship… he shouldn’t have.” Ky shook her head, anxiety spiking through her again. “It’s more trouble than I’m worth.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"The man's dead now," Sera reminded her. "He won't be hurting anyone ever again, you have my word on that."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I hope so,” Ky whispered, chest tight. “He’s just… he’s everywhere. You don’t understand.” She shook her head. “Everywhere. I just… he made sure I didn’t know how contingencies. I don’t — I don’t know what he has planned.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:34 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Tomhas and Gaius will make sure those plans don't come to fruition, come hell or high water," she assured her. "Gaius has killed for family before; he'll do it again without a doubt."

she/her

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness