z

Young Writers Society

Of Crows and Songbirds (Part 2)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:52 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh, um, I-I mean, it wasn’t my internship, ma’am,” she admitted with a little blush. “I never actually learned much. I just thought it was interesting… though he did let me make a little hook once, which I was very proud of.” She smiled a little again.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Sara grinned. "Blacksmithing seems like a lot of fun! We have a blacksmith who lives here; he's got an apprentice close to your age!"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:40 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh yeah?” Ky asked with a little smile.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Her name is Oria. She's very nice; perhaps you'd like to meet her sometime?'
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Her? Ky blinked. She’d been reliably informed girls weren’t supposed to be blacksmiths.

“Yes ma’am.” Ky smiled a little and dipped her head. “I’d like that very much.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'd gladly introduce you two, then." She cut into her goose meat.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Thank you.” Ky ducked her head. She couldn’t help but wonder why Ash hadn’t told his wife what Ky was. She surely wouldn’t be introducing her to people if she knew the truth. Spies didn’t deserve friends.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Tadaaki, what about you? What do you like to do?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:19 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Um…” Tadaaki hesitated, looking at Ky for help.

She gave him A Look. How in the world was she supposed to speak for him on this? When not only had he been directly addressed, but Ky didn’t know the answer besides. They weren’t allowed to have fun since they’d become Aleth’s.

“I, um, I used to, um, be a carpenter, ma’am,” he ducked his head. “And, I, um, I liked it a lot, ma’am. I, um, took a page out of my father-in-law’s book and, um, carved little toys for the children, in, um, our town, ma’am. I, um, l-liked that, ma’am.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:20 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What kind of toys?" Marcella asked. "Could you make ones with wheels?'

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:23 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I, um, wasn’t very good at that, ma’am,” Tadaaki said sheepishly, looking at her. Wait was she a ma’am or a miss? He glanced at Ky, but she didn’t know what he was thinking and so was no help whatsoever. He looked back at the little girl. “But I’d been practicing before-um-well a long time ago. But, um, no. I was never any good, miss.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Can you make me a toy?"
"He doesn't have to make you a toy, Marcella," Sara chided. "You've got plenty already and Mr. Tadaaki is recovering from some injuries."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:31 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Being called mister felt… weird. And he blushed a bit. He very much didn’t want to. That’d be soooooo much pressure, to make toys for noble children. But he damn sure wasn’t going to say no.

“Oh, I, um. I’m happy to um, help, um, any way that I, um, can,” he stammered reluctantly, then glanced back at the little girl. “But mine aren’t any good, miss. I’m sure you’ve got much better ones. I just piddled, miss.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:42 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(He did what)

"I'm sure you're fantastic!' Sara assured him. "Marcella and Mattathias have more than enough toys and trinkets to go around, though; I don't want to inconvenience you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:51 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(You know I was kinda wondering if that was too southern of slang lol it’s like when you do something to pass the time that’s vaguely productive but you also don’t have a clear cut goal/deadline and kinda take your time with it)(like growing up farm work would be something like building a fence, baling hay, etc where ‘piddling’ would be screwing around fixing things or organizing or something — things that needed done but not necessarily now. So screwing around, productively lol)(now that I am trying to describe it ig ‘tinkering’ would be a similar concept?)

“No inconvenience!” he said quickly, horrified that she’d use that word regarding him. But he didn’t want to do it and certainly wasn’t going to argue himself into a corner. He ducked his head. “But yes’m. That, um, makes sense, um, ma’am.”

He desperately wanted Ky to tag back in, but he knew she didn’t really have an opportunity even if she wanted to.

[they/he]

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato