z

Young Writers Society

Of Crows and Songbirds

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue May 24, 2022 3:27 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Stay down," Bay said to her, walking alongside her as the stretchers were hoisted up and moved toward the Keep. "You'll be warm in a moment; it'll come as a shock at first. Save your strength."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue May 24, 2022 3:29 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky whimpered, scared as it felt like the ground fell from beneath her. What was happening? Why was she--? Where was she--? What--? What...? Nothing made sense. All she knew was cold and fear. She couldn't remember anything else ever existing.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:31 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm going to need you three to stay awake while we go, alright?" Bay had talked soldiers through hypothermia before; he knew the drill. "How are we doing, you three? Are you all with me?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky's trembling had redoubled, definitely fueled by fear this time in addition to her coldness. The world was... bad. She was breathing heavily, chest tight with anxiety. She didn't know what this movement was. This was... she... she hated this. She hated this so much.

"Yes, sir," Aleth murmured, though his voice felt hoarse and cracked.

"Y-yes-s-ir," Tadaaki managed.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"How about you?" He looked down at the little one in concern. "Can you talk to me? What's your name?" He was pretty sure he heard the big one say 'Ky,' but he needed this person to talk and that was a standard question.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:40 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Her breathing was quick and shallow and labored. It was hot! Too hot! Ky didn't know where they were, but it felt like they'd walked into an oven. Too hot. She started clawing at the ratty collar of her tattered shirt. She couldn't breathe. "Hot... bad."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:41 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's a start. You'll get used to it in a moment. Breath slowly for me, please, and tell me your name." He glanced at the others to see how they were doing now that they were inside.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:44 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky tried to obey, but failed, and ended up just taking deeper breaths that were even faster. Name. What was her name? Did she have a name? What... wait, what was a name? Was it...? "...Name?"

Tadaaki had his arms wrapped around himself tightly, expression scandalized as his entire body got stabbed with tiny nails all at once. Thousands of them. Millions. But he laid very, very still. Ky was getting help. Ky needed help. He needed to... Ky needed help.

Aleth set his jaw and closed his eyes, breath caught in his chest. He felt as terrible as the others, but was too prideful to show it.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:45 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Your name, that's right. You've got one, haven't you? Mine is Terran Bay."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:47 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Name.

That.

That -- you call him -- his. Name.

Name.

"...Ky?" she said it like she wasn't sure. Because she wasn't.

Tadaaki and Aleth both squirreled Terran Bay's name away in their minds silently.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ky," he repeated. "Thank you, Ky. Do you know where you are?" They were heading down the hall toward the stairs now.

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Where was she? Well, she certainly hadn't made it to paradise, that was certain. Which was tragic. She'd tried so hard to be a good person. But she wasn't. They all knew it. She supposed this meant that the gods knew it, too.

"...h-hell?" she ventured a guess after a moment.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:52 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

That got half a chuckle out of Bay. "For some, maybe. But no, not for you. You're in Serpent Keep."

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"O-oh..." She shuddered as a fresh wave of cold washed across her burning skin. "... I... not... d-d-dead?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2022 3:56 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Not yet, and gods willing you won't be for quite awhile yet. You'll do alright." They started up the stairs.

she/her

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon