z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 6)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:32 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I told you you'd be upset," he said with a shrug and another crooked smile. "Go ahead, though."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She huffed at that. If he wanted her to be annoyed, who was she to argue? He seemed to know how to get under her skin. “I don’t know. Stuff… And stuff.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You'll have to do better than that. Come on, now." He tilted his head toward the fur. "Just stuff?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:37 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I don’t know.” She looked at the fur as well. “I guess I’m friends with Ruh, now… and I suppose it’s good that I’m still alive, or whatever.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"What was good about befriending him? And what other good things happened? Small things count too, even just feeling the horse beneath you or watching snow fall off a branch."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:42 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“I mean…” How was she even supposed to answer that? “I don’t know. It feels nice to help people and I like to pretend I helped him, even tho I just ate his food and wasted his time.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:50 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You made him a better person, I think. Remember what he said before he left, about wearing the bracelet? And he enjoyed your company, from what you've said. You can't waste the time of a man who has all the time in the world."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:52 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky considered for a moment, then nodded. "Yeah, I guess so."

Even though she had. He had the whole world before him. Why would he want to waste an entire night on her? She'd just fooled him into thinking she deserved sympathy. Just like she fooled everyone. Even the Marrow Man himself couldn't see through her bullshit. It was truly the stuff of legend.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:55 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Not Gaius doing an exercise with her and causing her to backslide)

"What other good things happened these two weeks? What made you happy or close to happy?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:59 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(haha, close but no cigar)

"I mean, like..." She shrugged, letting herself think about everything that had happened since the attack. She'd been actively repressing those memories. Not much of anything good had happened to her since then. She'd been an asshole to all the people she cared about most in the world. Her arm ached terribly, even now. "... I don't see how this is relevant."

(Ky: no <3)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:02 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Indulge me."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:05 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky sighed. How was she supposed to counter that?

She wasn't. That's how. He was trapping her. Like he always did.

"I don't know what the right answer is," she muttered. "What do you want me to say?"

She'd say whatever he wanted. She was good at that. But she was not, in fact, good at reading what it was that he wanted her to say. She couldn't very well say that nothing good had happened. She'd resolved to stop being such an ungrateful bitch. But that didn't make it easy to look for positives.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"There is no right answer," Gaius sighed. "Happiness is subjective. Was there nothing else? Nothing tiny that warmed your heart in the slightest?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:13 am
View Likes
Shady says...

She kicked at a clump of snow, staring at it rather than looking at him, as she tried to think of all the good things that happened to her. Tried to stop being such an asshole.

"I guess it's nice to talk to Zander," she muttered, now that she was actually talking to him rather than snarling at him any time he got anywhere near her. "And I guess it's nice that everyone's been so patient with me being a..." she hesitated. It still felt so wildly inappropriate to cuss in front of a noble. "...jerk." She sighed and crossed her arms, pretending that it didn't hurt as much as it did. "And all the gifts make me happy."

Enough. Happy was a strong word. Especially after the attack. Material goods would never be enough to counter how bad that had felt, no matter how expensive or how thoughtful. She reached up and rubbed the pendant from her father. She'd been wearing it almost non-stop since Zander gave it to her. It'd turned into her security blanket.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"And small things?" Gaius prompted.

she/her

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln