z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 5)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded and stood up, obeying on reflex — but not nearly as hastily or panicked as it had always been before. “… thank you.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:09 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"For what?" Gaius rose as well, leaving the fire as it was and leaning on his cane.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:21 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Everything.” She shrugged, then remembered Papa telling her that the best compliments and expressions of appreciation were specific. Much better to tell a woman that you liked her necklace rather than just say she was pretty. It showed you were paying attention and that you were being serious. Authentic.

“For believing me… or at least not acting like I’m dumb even if you don’t,” she said, deciding to leave the caveat in case he was just being polite. “Taking me seriously. And… not being mad at me, even though I’ve been being pissy. And letting me talk and helping me and not making me feel bad for how I feel or trying to turn me into a pet project to be fixed.” She wished she could be fixed. But she couldn’t. And Zander was suffocating her. “And protecting me. I know this is a pain… and call it my fault or call it’s Aleth’s, but they’re still coming for me, and you’ve made it your problem by not just tossing me out when you could have. Well… I guess like Tomhas could have.” Gaius didn’t really have a vote in that decision. “But you could have said I couldn’t come. And you didn’t. So… thank you.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:27 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius simply dipped his head, though there was a spark of warmth at the idea that he'd helped her in some way, that she felt cared for. "Thank you as well," he said. "For being patient. And for bringing me back to my brother."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky smiled at that, glad that he was crediting her with part of the reconciliation, even though she had nothing in it. She was just running for her life.

“I guess it’s good both of you brought both of us along,” she joked, then realized it was something she probably shouldn’t be joking about and sobered. “I’m just glad it all worked out for the best… this is better.”

She wasn’t sure if she meant the war being over. Or talking to Gaius as an uncle rather than feeling his gaze slice straight through her like she was softened butter. Or life without Aleth physically in it, even though he’d live rent free in her mind for the rest of her life. Maybe she meant all three at once.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:39 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"As am I. I believe we're all better off, for the moment." Tarr's war might change that, but for now the Ash-Loquitur was reunited and larger than ever, thanks to Ky and little Raina. "Perhaps you should tell your other uncle; he's been hovering over you since we started the journey. Let him know things are going to be okay."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:50 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky took a deep breath and let it out slowly, nodding. The thought of that conversation was exhausting her already. Or, maybe it was just exhausted in general from her trek through the woods spending all night talking to cryptids rather than sleeping. “Yeah… I need to apologize to him, too,” she murmured. “Maybe he’ll back off if I stop pushing him away.” Ky ran a hand through her hair. It was getting to the annoying length that pissed her off and tempted her to cut it, even though she hadn’t yet decided if she wanted to grow it out or not. “It’s hard for him, I think. I’m nothing at all like I used to be, and he didn’t watch me slipping away bit by bit these past three years like I have. I don’t think he knows what to do with himself, since this isn’t just a dislocated shoulder he can set for me and make everything better. He can’t make me a kid anymore, but he still wants to view me as one, I think. It’s… frustrating… but I probably fuel it by not talking to him about it… i was faking for him so well back at the Keep, even in the infirmary, but now…” she sighed, rubbing her face. “I don’t have the energy to fake anymore.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Then don't fake it." Gaius shifted his weight to his good leg. "Be yourself and stop worrying about his feelings. Talk to him about it if you like or don't; he'll have to get used to it eventually. And I can always talk to him if you wish."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:58 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Gaius: ffs Zander get your head out of her ass)

Ky nodded, not sure how to respond to that. How could she even begin to explain to him how fragile Zander was? He needed her to be okay. It was visceral. She needed to be strong for both of them.

(Zander: literal ranger, has the weight of the world on his shoulders
Ky: clearly this man doesn’t know what it’s like to have his feelings hurt)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:00 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Think about it, talk to him yourself first." Gaius began to limp back in the direction of his tent. The snow was still falling heavily; he'd have to dig around for the hatch. "And for gods' sakes, get into your own tent and get warm." He hesitated. "Maybe not for the gods' sakes, considering our conversation."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:06 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Hah!” She smirked and started towards her tent, which was nearly completely buried at this point, since she’d not had to dig her way out to begin with. Her mind traveled back to Mark, and she was tempted to add a our goat man, to whom we pray— then decided she’s be pushing the luck of her irreverence. She hesitated, looking at Gaius. “… what sorts of gifts do little boys give their fathers?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius glanced back at her, frowning. What a strange question. "Crafts, drawings, perhaps something their mother or father helped them pick out. Mattathias gave me a doodle for my last birthday. Why?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:15 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“If he’s giving me a present, I feel like I should give him one, too.” She shrugged. “And he said I remind him of his son but I’ve never been a son to know what he would have given him.”

(Highkey thinking Ky is gonna make Marrow Man a friendship bracelet lmao)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:20 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(My god that would make his shriveled old heart grow three sizes that day)

"You've already given him something. The poultice, soon to be poultices," Gaius pointed out. "But if you want to give him something else, don't hold yourself to any standards but your own. Whatever you make, I'm sure it'll be the first gift he's received in six hundred years and that makes it special regardless." How could this girl think of herself as anything less than kind and deserving of kindness in return? She was talking about making a gift for one of the most notorious nightmares in the Northern Realm.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:25 am
View Likes
Shady says...

( :’) confirmed: Ky wants to make cryptids feel good about themselves)

Ky nodded, satisfied with the answer. Mostly. Maybe she’d pick Zander and Tadaaki’s brains, too. The only thing coming to mind was a bracelet, and she doubted a 700 year old man wanted a bracelet from a stupid little girl. “I’ll think about it, then.”

[they/he]

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal