z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:03 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded, satisfied with the answer. And also sensing that this seemed to be some long-standing disagreement that she better not meddle with.

He was a grown man. She wasn't going to concern herself if he didn't want to eat. She was just pleased it wasn't out of distrust for Loquitur.

She, however, was ravenous, and dug into the vegetables eagerly.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:07 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius did eventually eat a few slivers of meat to satisfy Sera, then washed them down with mead. "Have you performed the rites with your ward, then?" he asked Tomhas after a moment. Tomhas shook his head.
"No. Actually, I meant to ask you, Ky. I hadn't really consulted you first. If you want to join the Loquitur brood, I mean. You don't have to. Just, just give it some thought. You don't have to answer in front of all these people." Tomhas reddened. "Sorry; I should have asked you before all this."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky blinked. So, they were actually serious about this?

"That's... an option?" she asked hesitantly, gaze fixed on Loquitur. She knew fully well everyone was probably looking at her, but her attention was on her savior. It was too good to be true. "You...want... me to be a part of your... family?" The words felt odd in her mouth.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:19 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas shifted awkwardly. "Well, if you want to, of course! But you don't have to decide now. There are some words to be said and a contract we both have to sign and some other things but it can be done easily." Gaius watched them both, twirling his fork idly.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes, sir!" She nodded vigorously but furrowed her brow, still perplexed.

And shocked. She didn't need to think about it. If being a Loquitur was an option -- and it wouldn't be abusing his kindness -- then she absolutely wanted it. Well, she wanted to keep the name Ruiarc. A final nod to her own Papa. But the Loquiturs were absolutely delightful humans, and she'd very much like to call them kin. It's not like she'd be betraying her own family, since she didn't have one anymore. Her paternal grandparents had passed away before she was born; her maternal grandparents wanted nothing to do with them, ever since Mama died during her labor with Ky. Her Papa was all she had, and now she didn't have him.

Why shouldn't she join a new family?

And... well... Loquitur had said just last week that she wasn't bad, just because she was a farmer's daughter. That she was entitled to respect as a human, same as a noble.

Should she wait? Have this conversation with him in private, like he offered? Maybe he didn't want to do this when they had witnesses. But... she also didn't want to seem ungrateful for the offer -- having to take time to deliberate over a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"I... I mean... I would like that," she said timidly. "If you're sure." She glanced up at Ash. "And if you're sure." She looked back at Loquitur. She didn't have the first idea how wardship worked, or who all needed to approve of it before it could happen. "And Lady Anneke is sure. And... and..." She looked back at the table, shaking her head slightly, feeling an immense amount of guilt for no reason at all. "If it wouldn't be abusing your kindness. I don't want to be a bother. I'm happy as a guest -- or a servant, I'd be happy with that -- I don't want to be a bother."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I've talked it over with Anneke already," Tomhas assured her. "And the children as well. We'd all be delighted to bring you into our fold."
"And I've got no say whatsoever," Gaius said. "I'm not even his full brother."
"If you're sure, Ky," Tomhas went on, "we can go over it all once we get home and get the contract drawn up. We can talk in more detail later, if you like. I don't want to rush this." He glanced very briefly at Aleth to see how he was taking this, a gesture that did not escape Gaius.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes, sir!" She flashed a quick, genuine smile. Excited, despite herself. She knew she should be serious right now. Calm and collected. But she was bubbling with nervous excitement. "That seems like a good plan -- talking more later. Thank you, sir."

She looked at Ash and inclined her head towards him. That was enough to make her sober a bit, but it didn't quell her excitement, which she was sure she probably wasn't hiding well. She wasn't quite sure how this would change her interactions with him. Would this change his opinion of her? Her opinion of him?

Who knew all it would take for her to get a whole new family was a few mocking words from a grumpy Lord that didn't like her?

She risked a quick glance at Aleth, despite herself, but caught herself in the nick of time and immediately glanced around the rest of the table, too. There were so many important people here. How did they all feel about this? Seeing a no-one like her get raised to nobility in an instant.

Aleth had locked his expression into passive neutrality. He couldn't show his hand. But he was seething. And he had half a mind to lunge over the table and snap her neck and see how the fuck Loquitur would like it if he took her from him as well. "Keep her as leverage" his ass. This had been his plan all along, hadn't it?

The sheer audacity of every last person in this tent. Of the miserable little whore. Of the bastard Loquitur. They could have contracts out the ass, and he was still going to get his hands on Ky again. Loquitur couldn't stop him.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Spoiler! :
Me seeing Aleth get angry: Image

The girl had looked at Aleth, too. Interesting. Gaius glanced at Aleth, then back at both Tomhas and Ky.
"Congratulations," he said. "You've found yourself an excellent guardian, my dear. You couldn't ask for a kinder one." He was sure Lyra and Anneliese would be delighted at the prospect of getting another sister, as well. Especially Anneliese, since her older sister was far more introverted than she was. He'd be interested to see the dynamic shift.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:11 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Hahaha yes!)

"Thank you, sir," she repeated, grinning again, despite herself. Ash didn't seem to be the kind of person she was supposed to be bubbly around. But he seemed authentic in his well-wishing now.

She was also, somehow, emboldened by all this. She'd believed Loquitur when he said he was going protect her from Aleth -- that he was going to try to do so. She knew he'd keep his word. But if she had his paternal instincts going to bat for her, this was a for-sure for-sure guarantee that Aleth would have to walk straight through Loquitur and every last of his soldiers before he could get to one of Loquitur's daughters. Which she now was.

Aleth took his cup of mead and passively took a drink. Turned out he needed more alcohol than he'd originally thought. God knew he needed something to calm his sheer rage before he did something stupid.

He took a long drink, shaking away the nagging impulse to ruin all this right here and right now.

Get the satisfaction of killing Ky right now -- it was going to take a lot more strategy to get to her if she was being kept under lock and key at Caracal Keep. She was before him right now. He could strangle her, then bolt, steal a horse, and be on her way.

Let Loquitur explain that to his brother. See if he cared.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You've got to end the war now," Tomhas said, though he felt he was pushing his luck with this joke. "You've got a new niece to impress." Gaius, predictably, gave him one of his cool stares.
"I said two days, and I meant two days," he retorted. Sera glanced over at him, a real smile breaking out now.
"See," she said smugly, "I knew you'd come around if he talked to you."
"Who can resist my charm?" Tomhas batted his eyelashes.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky maintained her grin, thoroughly pleased that the energy in the tent had shifted so dramatically and become a positive place to be now.

It faltered ever so slightly as she felt Aleth's eyes on her. She decidedly refused to glance at him -- Ash was noticing every little thing she did, and she wasn't going to ruin the moment by giving him something to be critical about. The anxiety was starting to drown out the excitement again.

She couldn't pretend that Aleth didn't exist, when he was in the tent with her. It was like trying to ignore a bear sitting by the dinner table, eating a meal and pretending like everything was okay. But she wasn't going to let Aleth ruin this moment, either.

And, well, he was unarmed. If he did try to get to her -- which she, honestly, wouldn't be surprised if he did -- he had to make it through Loquitur and General Wai first. And that would give her time to sprint. She was a better equestrienne than Aleth was; if it was a matter of horseback chase, she'd be able to stay ahead of him. As long as her horse didn't tire first.

Aleth forced himself not to stare too long. That's right, you bitch. You better know what you have coming. He thought as she actively refused to meet his gaze.

He turned his goblet in his hands, looking down at the heavy metal rim. That'd be faster. Loquitur would pull Aleth off before he strangled Ky -- but a swift blow to the temple? Hmm...

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius had turned his full attention to Aleth now. He'd been staring intensely at Ky for about a minute now. He noted that Tomhas was watching him watch Aleth now. It was as he'd thought, then. His eyes flickered to Tomhas, an unspoken question. Tomhas's expression was all the confirmation he needed. Which led him to a slight dilemma. This man had been placed here while Tomhas was under the assumption that the war would be continuing. That was an uncertainty now, and Gaius couldn't hold a precaution against his brother. Even so, he couldn't just let it go. And the way the man was eyeing his goblet--Gaius had seen that look in Michael's eyes before. That was the look of a man who wanted to hurt something.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:49 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky glanced at Loquitur, and found him watching Ash. And then she saw Ash watching Aleth. And then saw Aleth was watching her. She looked away from him quickly — she’d melt under his glare. But then she saw the brothers eyeing each other.

This was all going to hell.

She had to do… something.

She looked around quickly, searching for some way she could cause a diversion and break everyone’s focus.

The mead.

Without a second thought, Ky thrust her hand out like she was trying to grab her cup, but plowed it straight over instead, spilling it across the table.

“Oh gods! I’m so sorry!” She hated that she’d just put herself back into the center of negative attention. But it was necessary. For Loquitur. She grabbed her napkin and started wiping it up, talking a bit louder than she normally did. Not inappropriately loud, though. “I’m so clumsy! Apologies!”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:52 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Both brothers paused. Gaius saw it for what it was--a distraction. Tomhas looked at her with concern; she must be more nervous than he'd thought. And for good reason. Her tormentor was right there.
"No need to apologize," he assured her. "If I apologized for every glass of mead I spilled I'd be many words poorer than I am now."
"Perhaps you ought to slow down," Gaius suggested without conviction. His right hand clenched involuntarily while his good hand drifted to the dagger concealed beneath his cloak. If Aleth made a move toward anyone, he'd stop it.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:02 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes sir!” Ky kept mopping up the mess, keeping her gaze fixed on her task. Anxiety wrapped around her gut. Not only was she garnering attention — it was because she’d done something wrong. She always got punished for that. Couldn’t embarrass Aleth. “I will, sir!”

It was enough to pull Aleth’s gaze off her. It was a diversion. She must have noticed a red flag he’d missed. He needed to be more careful. He glanced up innocently, glancing between the brothers.

[they/he]

The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451