Young Writers Society

Official Contest: YWS Valentine's Day Contest [Closed]

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:20 pm
indieeloise says...

work.php?id=98172

Here's my hopeless romantic.
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadows that I am someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 am
BenFranks says...

I'm in love.

I'll give this a go.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 am
sushantshubham says...

I'am a writer of Hindi literature so,this causes some of the grammatical errors are found in my story and poem but, anyhow I'am going to participate here. Is this participation is permissible for me?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:55 pm
Lava says...

Hey! Now worries.
I started off with not-so-good English myself, and I learned a lot through this places.
Post them here, and you'll get helpful reviews to improve.

I know of a few people here who know Hindi, so no worries. :)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:07 am
emmylou1995 says...

work.php?id=98058

Here's my love poem!
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:27 pm
Logowrites says...

RANDOM THOUGHTS
1. I am drop dead ugly, thats why I don't get Valentines.
2.I think I look like a beaver, minus the tail.
3. Trish my even ugliar best friend got a Valentine and I didn't.
Maybe I should stop numbering, I mean I'm losing my thought process. I hate Valentines day, in sixth grade you are the best if you have a boyfriend. They call it going out but where are they going? nowhere but hell. I hope. No scratch that. I'm starting to sound worse then them. I can't do that now can I. Heather started to pass out her Valentines, I'm not even going to hope I get one, because I just know I won't. They make fun of me for this. Writing these stupid thoughts. Your lucky I still do this. Connors passing his out. He's the only one here thats decent. He looks like he only has a few to give. I would be the luckiest girl in the world to get one. It won't happen though. Wait, why is he coming over here? He drops one on my desk, I couldn't help that my face lit up the the griswalds house. "Will you go out with me?" he asked me!!!!!! "That depends, go where?" He laughed, "but seriously, will you?" I thought, am I ready for a boyfriend I mean I'm only in sixth grade. "Connor, I like you I really do, but I'm not ready for a boyfriend, it's just to soon." "fine, I'll ask Heather." There goes the decent one. I hope he goes to hell. Just kidding. Thats how my Valentines dday went, suckish as usual.

heres mine sorry I couldn't make a link, hope you like it.
we can complain because rose bushes have thorns orwe can rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
-Abe Lincoln

The grass is greener on the other side because they water it. So water yours!
-Logowrites

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 am
JohnLocke1 says...

The cold air bit at my face with vigor, but I enjoyed a cold snap. Although the wind and my gloves made it difficult, I still managed to turn the pages to my book. Winter would not deter me from enjoying a good read. I found myself in the middle of a sentence, but at the end of the page. It was one of those rare moments I loved to relish. It was the only situation where a true “page-turner” is possible. I slid my fingers under the page and debated whether to turn it. I wanted to find out how the sentence would end, but I didn’t want to give up the feeling of anticipation either.
“You should decide quickly,” a voice said, “Before you freeze to death at least.”
I looked to my side and saw a girl sitting on the bench as well. I hadn’t noticed anyone else. I nodded to her slightly, I was not one for conversation, and quickly returned to my inner page-turning debate.
“Don’t you want to see what happens next?” the girl said.
I looked to her again and noticed her, actually noticed her, for the first time. Her hair was long and dark. The wind caused it to flutter along her shoulders. Her eyes were blue and narrow, yet easy to look at. The smile on her face seemed to be permanent. It was a smirk, yet I knew it signified happiness. It was not a smirk of condescension, yet I knew she could wield it in that way. She was puzzling to me for some odd reason. I closed the book, placing my hand inside so I would not lose my page. I wouldn’t allow this girl to ruin the book for me, no matter how curious she was.
“Do you always want to know what happens next? Don’t you like anticipation?” I said.
My words were finite and concise. I did not expect her to speak again. Usually I finish arguments before I start them.
“Everyone likes anticipation, don’t they? Even if they don’t want to admit it. But you have to find out eventually. You can’t keep something in anticipation forever.” She said.
Her voice had an underlying sprinkle of playfulness that caused all that she said to bring a small smile onto my face. Strange. I hadn’t smiled in quite a long time.
“Why not? There aren’t laws of anticipation. If I don’t want to know something, I don’t have to. I can just keep wondering ‘if’.” I said.
Her eyes narrowed further as if confused, but her smirk quickly returned.
“What if what you find out if something really good?” she said, her smirk widening to a smile.
“What if what you find out if something really bad?” I said, her smile shrinking back into confusion.
I began to open my book, wanting to return to my page-turner and assuming that I had defeated the girl in our verbal combat.
“Isn’t it worth the risk?” she said.
“Is anything worth the risk?” I said, “Why take a chance on anything if the outcome can be bad? It doesn’t make sense.”
“But life doesn’t make sense.” She said.
“Come now,” I said, “Don’t “but life” me. Life isn’t something you can simply define. People think that they can slap labels on life all that they want by making statements like “life isn’t fair” or “life is beauty”. Life is not for us to understand. That’s what makes it life. Maybe life is fair and life is not beauty.”
“But the fact that you can say all of that means that life isn’t fair. Life just doesn’t give away its secrets to anyone who asks or is confused. Life’s secrets are revealed to us when we least expect it.” She said.
The girl began to stand up. I looked around and saw only the cold winter air around me. I was alone. I looked down at my book and tried to remember a time I wasn’t reading. Whom had I last talked to? This girl… she was all I had.
“Wait!” I yelled, “Tell me more.”
The girl looked at me, her smirk prevalent on her features.
“I’ll tell you all you want to know.” She said.
"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes." - John Locke

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:07 am
DiskElemental says...

Hmmm.... might need to finish that story.
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:23 am
LemonyIce says...

Here's mine!

I really hope the length is alright. ^^"

I hope it's alright if I change my entry!

Here's the one I'm sending in, instead! ^^
Last edited by LemonyIce on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:43 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Just wrote something that seems to fit the bill. Here goes: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=98756
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 pm
View Likes
Paracosm says...

I'm in! I'll edit this comment to include the work once it's ready.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

I am so in. This comment will be edited to include my entry whenever I actually write it up. 8D
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm
View Likes
Maddymayhem says...

I'll enter as soon as I write something.
[user]
-Maddy Mayhem

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm
Auxiira says...

Oooh I'll probably try even if I'm not too good with writing about love... :?
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 pm
Cosmo says...

I think I'll give it a try...

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables