z

Young Writers Society

What is the Best Book you have read...

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 pm
jcipriano1 says...

Without a doubt, my favorite book must be 2001: a space odyssey. If you've seen the movie, you have no idea of what I am talking about. Contrary to the Sanley Kubrick classic film, this book is easy to get caught up in. It shows the evolution of man, how we could have gained our intelligence, and what our next evolutionary step may be. And ofcourse there is Hal, the homicidal computer. It's a pretty whacky mystery all within itself, also. READ IT NOW!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstien

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 pm
MadameLuxestrange says...

I don't really have a single favorite book, so here's my top 5. Please, please, please don't throw rotten food at me for this list!
1. Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz- Usually her books are very girly and this one is no exception. What I liked so much about this series though is that the vampires in it have much more history to their origins. Plus I'm in love with her characters and writing.

2. Harry Potter by JK Rowling- Everyone loves these books, but for different reasons. I love these books because I feel very connected to the plot and to some of her characters, particularly Harry for a bunch of reasons that I don't really have time to get into right now.

3. Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews- This book has a very dark and disturbing air to it and there is a lot of creepy stuff that goes on. It's written in a way that there are characters that you can easily love and there are characters that you can feel so much hate for that you want to kill them yourselves.

4. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (please don't hurt me!)- I just want to make sure that you all know that I purchased the first book when it first came out in 2005 and I loved it before there was even any thought that there would be a movie made out of it. I love this series because I love paranormal romance and I love the idea that you could meet someone that you fall so deeply in love with that you would give up everything you know to be with them. The way that Meyer wrote her vampires such as the sparkly skin, that was lame! However, I do love both her werewolves and vampires. I'm a huge sucker for Seth Clearwater.

5. The Keish'ra by Amelia Atwater- Rhodes- I love this series sooooo much because of the incredibly original plot and world that was created.
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 pm
BenFranks says...

[Stickied]

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 pm
AlyKat says...

The entire Bloody Jack series!!! It has everything a person could want
Action, romance drama its amazingly wonderful and i recommend it to anyone i meet =)
Oompa Loompa something something something :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 am
lele253isme says...

I can't pick. Um mm, The Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. Yes, that's it. I love her books, I shall read them over. :o :D

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:26 pm
Titan4ever says...

I'm reading the book "Supreme Courtship" By Christopher Buckley, and it has taken my vote for my favorite book. ( For the time at least.)
-Titan4ever
"A day without sunshine is like, well, night."

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm
BrooklynWriter says...

One of my favorites is the Giver but it changes all the time.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm
View Likes
Emmzziee says...

I'm kind of shamefully fussy with books :)
If I'm not sucked into the story straight away, or if it's written in any way that I'm not comfortable with, then I probably won't keep reading it... :)
But when I was nine, I read a book called "Goodnight mister Tom" and I loved it! I've never read another book like it :) I'm pretty sure that it's an adult book, too :) and It's very goood :D
I want to play a game.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 pm
Alexwriter says...

The best book I have read (recently at least) is The Book Thief. It's unusual for me because my genre is usually supernatural/paranormal/fantasy, but this was set in Nazi Germany and i could really relate to the protagonist's love of books. It's beautifulyl written and I devoured it eagerly. I reccomend it to anyone and everyone.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

31 Reviews

Sat May 07, 2011 4:58 am
Loller65 says...

The World According to Garp- John Irving (BEST. NOVEL. EVER.)

Congo- Michael Crichton

So Sad to Fall In Battle- Kumiko Kakehashi

To Hell and Back- Audie Murphy

Anthem- Ayn Rand
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun May 08, 2011 8:43 pm
KCunder says...

Oh umm, I don't really know, but I'll list my favorites below!
1. And Then There Were None (AKA in UK Ten Little Indians) {Mystery}
I really liked it but it had a lot of the D bombs in it and also the auother is/was races (she died). She uses the N bomb twice, and one o fthe charateres say
...Yeah right, black brothers....
But it was a really good mystery

2. The Harry Potter series {Fanasy,Fiction}
LOVE IT! I was so sad when I read all the books, I really liked it though. But those books were big, or even you could say huge. But it is wroth it, also the movies just aren't the same, you [Bold] NEED [/Bold] to read the books, much more details, and more about what they think.

3. The Inkhear/spell/death books {Fiction, Fanasy?]
I love thes books, they had a lot of violence in them (stabbing, killing, dieing, threting) But still they were good books. But they cussed also, but still good books!

That is about all for now!
~KC Under~ Unique- not weird ;D

31 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2011 2:14 am
Loller65 says...

Horseman, Pass By- Larry McMurtry
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat May 14, 2011 3:56 am
MUCHO says...

I have two, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (I pronounce it yo-seph, 'cause he's jewish), and Crime and Punishment by Doestoevesky(which I spelt wrong).

These two are so important to me because they were the first books to really change the way I look at the world, and the first ones to have an intrinsic impact on me and affect my thinking.

They were actually the first two in a line of books I read that affected me deeply, the others being One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, Battle Royale, and All the Pretty Horses.

YOSSARIAN LIVES!
"This is our decision,
to live fast and die young...
Yeah it's overwhelming,
but what else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and
wake up for the morning commute?

The models will have children,
we'll get a divorce,
find some more models;
everything must run its course!

Fated to Pretend

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed May 25, 2011 5:12 pm
View Likes
creativelyyours says...

One of the best books I've ever read was A Separate Peace by John Knowles. There was something about Phineas. He just stuck to me and I couldn't get him out of my head. I believe that any novel that remains with you over time because of its huge impact is a great novel.

One of my favorite books has always been "Charlotte's Web" because I love stories about victorious underdogs.

But of course, the best book I've ever read is The Bible:) Through God's stories and lessons you become invigorated. Whether you believe or not there's something in it for everyone.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu May 26, 2011 2:25 am
Liveinthelight says...

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison: I'm obsessed with stories with strong character. I actually read this one for English this year, and I was supposed to focus on analyzing character development. This book screams character development. It's fantastic.

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell: It's nonfiction, but it's the most fascinating nonfiction I've ever read. It's about why people succeed. A bit slow in some parts, but it really makes you think.

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall: Also nonfiction, and very powerful. Read it if you're planning on running a marathon anytime soon ;)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The first book was impossible to put down, but in the second and third books the characters were difficult to put up with. It's a self-pity party (yeah, okay, the situation demands it.. ) and it was just too much during the spots where the plot was slower. We get it, your life sucks, let's move on and grow please.

The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare: I only just recently picked up these, and I'm also obsessed because the characters have so much personality. The emphasis on romance is beginning to bother me, though. (I'm currently reading the fourth book. It makes me want to gag and slap the main character across the face and tell her to get a life that doesn't revolve entirely around her boyfriend.)

... [/rant]

I think that's it. O.o
You treat life like a picture
but it's not a moment that's frozen in time

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief