z

Young Writers Society

Speed Painting Practice - Hueco Mundo

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:15 am
Dynamo says...

I was given a speed painting assignment by one of my college instructors this week. We have to choose a photograph of an indoor or outdoor scene (preferably outdoor) and do a speed painting of it in Photoshop. Basically, a speed painting is meant to show an idea with as little information as possible and still be able to portray the picture itself. A typical speed painting is done within thirty minutes.

I decided to practice some of the techniques I'll be using before actually starting the assignment itself. It ended up taking more than an hour, but it was still good practice. This is what I came up with:

And here is the original image, a picture from my favourite anime:

Again, a speed painting is meant to illustrate a concept as quickly as possible. Attention to detail is not a major priority.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:21 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I think you did a good job. :P I do horable on photoshop... (still).

Which anime is it? It looks kind of like Bleach... (But I'm always wrong when it comes ot guessing where anime pictures come from...) :roll:

For the picture it's not all the way steady but for practice it's good.

Keep up the [s]work[/s] practice! ( :wink: )

-Amber
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 pm
Raimunda says...

eh WOW
and I cant even use PAINT.
Thats incredible. It doesn't even look digital, it looks like its been painted. I think my favourite aspects are how its all curvy and the sky contrasts with the buildings.
Its dead cool, mateee.xx
I just hit my computer
Because it was being slow
I need my daily Smallville fix
And it will not load the video.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm
Dynamo says...

Yeah, it is Bleach. Basically I just took the original image on one layer and bumped the opacity down and started painting on other layers under it, using the original picture as a guideline.For the shading, I just took a regular paintbrush and bumped the opacity on it down, too, and started going over the shaded areas over and over again until I got it the way I wanted.

Even still, as I said before, the purpose of a speed painting is to get an image down as fast as possible and still be able to get the image across to your audience without misinturpretation. It should only take about thirty minutes tops, but this one took me more than an hour to complete. So I've got to learn to paint faster and not worry so much about the details. I'm also trying to break in my new tablet, so that might also account for the amount of time it took to paint.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin