z

Young Writers Society

James

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:55 pm
Bittersweet says...

This is no joke, the first time in my entire life of drawing (since I was three, to be exact), that I ever drew a guy that didn't look like a potato. I'm not sure what it is about drawing them. Maybe it's the rougher, harder lines in the jaw and chin, or the broadness of the shoulders? Something about drawing the softer, curving lines of a girl is easier. Or maybe just because I am a girl, so I understand how we look more.

Anyway, I am pretty proud of this one. The scanner did something funky and made one eye darker than the other and I have no idea how that happened. But besides that, I am especially proud of his jacket and the shading. He's supposed to look kind of hunched a bit, like it's cold outside and the wind's blowing right into eyes (thus the squinting). He's no one in particular, just some dude that wandered out of my mind. Criticism is welcome; even though I'm proud of it, I know it's not perfect!

-Holly

EDIT: Thanks, Clo and myfriendsavamp for the critiques! Clo, you were very right about the nose, so I just fixed it, and I also made his face a little bit wider on the left side of the paper. I'll post the newer version as soon as I can scan it, which will probably be tomorrow. Thanks so much!

EDIT TWO: Here's the newer version. So, as I mentioned, I fixed (or at least attempted to) the problems that were spoken of. I think it's just slightly better, but feedback is still very welcome. I know his nose still looks flattish, but I think it looks more like a real nose and less like a blob on his face. xD His face if noticeably wider, and I think that helps. Anyway, tell me what you think. And sorry this post is so long...
Attachments
DUUUUDE!.jpg
DUUUUDE!.jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Last edited by Bittersweet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:03 am
View Likes
myfreindsavamp says...

I do love the jacket and the eyes but your proportioning is off. Um.. it seams as though you accident went down his face sizing up. Now I do this all the time but I don't like sketching people. I draw landscapes and animated people. Anyways, the chin is bigger than the proportion for the eyes and up and the jacket. Again that little bit is meast up. Good job though.

Good luck,
~Amber
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:55 am
Clo says...

Hey,

This is not bad at all for a first drawing! Or, your first non-potato-looking drawing, ha ha. I used to have a very hard time drawing males as well. But he looks fairly decent - the jacket is very well done, and his eyes are a little too bold with the press of the pencil, but still are good.

Some areas of issue that you could work on are the proportions of his face. All of his facial features seem very large in comparison to the actual size of his face, so this gives him a rather startling appearance. A large nose usually means wide cheekbones, and if there's a wide mouth than usually the jaw is wider. Also, the dimensions of the nose are off - I think this is because of the shading. You really have no shading on the actual bump of the nose, and this makes it look very flat. Try observing some noses and see where the shading falls in place at different angles - typically, there is a heavier shading on the tops of the nostrils and the curve before the bridge of the nose.

Keep drawing!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:38 am
miyaviloves says...

This is no joke, the first time in my entire life of drawing (since I was three, to be exact), that I ever drew a guy that didn't look like a potato.

-This REALLY made me laugh, funnily enough I draw people like potatos too, well I still do you obviously don't anymore.

I won't say too much about this now as you have said thanks to the other reviews that you have changed it (I was going to point out the nose, but Clo has pretty much covered that :)) Post the changed one soon :) Could you PM me when you do so I don't miss it? I will give you many thanks :P

Meevs
x
Bag.

Got YWS?

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 pm
Raimunda says...

I was looking at your first non-potato and my first non-potato and feeling a sense of inferiority on my part. You are good at this. Too good to be fair.

Okies, so facial stuff. Its kind of hard to show you the only major thing wrong with this guys face without drawing it, but when you look at a face from the side, the lips arent face on. You've kind of done a picasso thing here; every feature is side on except the lips. Curve them around and make it so... how do I explain? You know the bridgy thing under the nose on your lips? The half of that that is towards us on the picture should be big, but the other side should be smaller. I know thats an awful way of explaining it. I'll try and find you a picture to show you. Hang in there.

Other little things, like you could make his hair reflect light more, and make him slightly less...cross eyed. Also, chage the texture of shading for the jacket so the face and clothes look different. maybe cross hatch the jacket? But its good that you didnt make the rookie mistake of thinking clothes lie flat against you like I did. You creased them and I love you for it. And just one more thing; I don't know whether its meant to be, but the nose is a little flat, so you should make it stand out more.

But seriously, I'm just being mean. You got the dimensions and the facial structure and everything that people usually mess up spot on. I think that this is really good; better than I was a year ago. Im jealous.

xx
xxxx
I just hit my computer
Because it was being slow
I need my daily Smallville fix
And it will not load the video.

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:51 am
miyaviloves says...

Ok, I stil lthinkthe nose needs a little bit of work, otherr than that it's great, I think the shading you have done is brilliant and his hair is also very good :)

Maybe work a little bit more detail onto the jacket? I'm just picking at things now!

Still, this is VERY far away from a potato person ;)

Meevs
x

(thanks for letting me know as well!!!)
Bag.

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

I don't draw guys very well either, but i try. XD Uhm, his eyes- that's what jumps out at me the most, because I draw eyes usually better than noses. They make him look rabid/manic. His coat looks good, though. The shading, I mean.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau