z

Young Writers Society

NaNoWriMo Desktop Count Down

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:31 pm
Emerson says...

I was bored and felt like wasting time, so I found a lovely count down program! Phantim3 is the name of the program, and as far as I can tell it's great to use, and sans buggies!

It also has the lovely choice of skins, and making your own! I made my own. :-) For everyone, of course! So I've uploaded the .zip file of the skin I made. The directions are on the web site, but if you're too lazy, here is what you do:

1. Unzip the file.
2. Find the Phantim3 program file.
3. Open the Skins folder.
4. Drop the NaNoWriMo folder there.
5. Right click on the counter (if it is open on your desk top) go to skins, and it should show up!

I've attached a preview of it! What do you think?
Attachments
nanowrimoexamplecounter.png
nanowrimoexamplecounter.png (62.35 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Rakun says...

I'm downloading it. This is going to be my first time in NaNoWriMo.
*download completed*
^_^ ready.
Now I am more impatient than the last month >_<'
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:17 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I'm gonna go noob here and say I can't figure it out, lol. I downloaded it, but getting your skin is the hard part. I trust I'm not alone on this, but I would very much appreciate it if anyone with knowledge in this area could explain. ^^

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:37 pm
Teague says...

Haha, I'm with you there, Jabbz.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:38 am
Insomnia says...

xD That's thirded. *ashamed*

2058 Reviews

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:01 pm
Emerson says...

>_> YWS just ate my post.

Since my directions fail, try these:

Once you're done a skin, simply create a folder for it in the skins directory of PhanTim3, and name it "back.jpg" or "back.bmp". The program will automatically detect the skin the next time you open the program, or if you press the 'refresh' button on the skin selection page. If you have any difficulties feel free to ask for help at our forums.

http://www.phantim3.com/skins/make.php

If I remember correctly, I already named the file properly and all you'll have to do is drop it into the skin folder but... perhaps not! Later on tonight if I get a chance I'll have to make complete explanations, if people are still confused.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:39 pm
TNCowgirl says...

*steps forward with red cheeks*

So normally I'm the computer nerd at our house, but there is only one folder in the folder and then in that one there is only a notepad thing and a picture. Am I missing something.

Oh, and is unzipping the folder the same as opening it????
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

2058 Reviews

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 pm
Emerson says...

Ok, from Tn's comment I might understand some confusion...

You need to download and install the program otherwise it really won't work at all. The whole point is to have the program. The file is just a skin I made for the program. :P You then take the folder (with the .txt file and the image) and move it into the "skins" folder which can be found by right clicking on start, going to "explore" then it will bring up a list of files and thingies. Find program files, and go to Phantim3 file. Then look for skins, and drop the file there. Then it should work...So that when you right click on the timer/count down thing (when you've started the Phantim program) and go to skins, the skin I made should show up. Uh. How is that?

110 Reviews

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

OH!!!! I knew that, I really did. :S. THat clears it all up. Thanks a LOT!!!!
Want a Readers crit???

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:14 pm
JabberHut says...

Mkay, my problem is there's no skin folder in my Phantim3 program? All I got is:

Phantim3
Phantim3 Website
Readme
Uninstall Phantim3

I'm still using Phantim3 without the skin, but it'd be nice if I had the little dude guy on it. ^^

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

110 Reviews

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Um, right click on the ico for the Phantim3 and go to open file location, it should be in there. That's how I got to mine.
Want a Readers crit???

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:25 pm
JabberHut says...

You need to download and install the program otherwise it really won't work at all. The whole point is to have the program. The file is just a skin I made for the program. Razz You then take the folder (with the .txt file and the image) and move it into the "skins" folder which can be found by right clicking on start, going to "explore" then it will bring up a list of files and thingies. Find program files, and go to Phantim3 file. Then look for skins, and drop the file there.

The bold is where I am stuck. I did: Explore ==> Programs ==> Three-Letter Acronym ==> Now where? There's no skin folder. *confused beyond belief*
I make my own policies.

110 Reviews

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:04 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Did you do what I did and didn't download the program from the site???
Want a Readers crit???

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:38 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

JabberHut wrote:
You need to download and install the program otherwise it really won't work at all. The whole point is to have the program. The file is just a skin I made for the program. Razz You then take the folder (with the .txt file and the image) and move it into the "skins" folder which can be found by right clicking on start, going to "explore" then it will bring up a list of files and thingies. Find program files, and go to Phantim3 file. Then look for skins, and drop the file there.

The bold is where I am stuck. I did: Explore ==> Programs ==> Three-Letter Acronym ==> Now where? There's no skin folder. *confused beyond belief*

I went to:

C:\\Program Files\PhanTim3\Skins

Is that what you meant?

I installed it but I just get a load of zeros :(

Great skin by the way :wink:
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

2058 Reviews

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:01 pm
Emerson says...

C:\\Program Files\PhanTim3\Skins

Is that what you meant?

Almost. :D My computer says that C:\Programe Files\Phantim3\Skins will take you there (one less \ for the C drive).

I realize this is a confusing process for noncomputer peoples. Jabs, as to you not having the skins folder? I haven't a clue. I'm not sure if you're looking in the wrong place or... what. XD I was hoping this would be simple so a lot of people could use it but I guess not!

Blink, what do you mean by "a load of zeros" - was there an error? oooor?

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina