z

Young Writers Society

Who's ready for NaNoWriMo?

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:51 am
Crysi says...

I'm SO excited this year! I only made it to 24K last year, but I had nothing planned out.

This year, I'm planning EVERYTHING out. I'm making a character chart, which I might expand into individual pages. I have the first two chapters outlined, and I'm working on a vague outline for the entire novel so I can fill it in with a little more knowledge of where I'm going. I'm writing ideas for scenes (not scenes themselves, don't worry, I'm not cheating...) in case I just need a bit of filler. I'm taking a ton of NaNoWriMo dares and incorporating them into my story.

And it's only the beginning of October.

I have no time in November - but I didn't last year, either, and I still managed to do quite well, I think. I'm going to be applying to colleges, applying for scholarships, working on audition music, and generally just trying to survive school. Plus we have a band review in November, and I'm sure my boss will try to get me to work.

But that's the fun of it. Even when you think you can't do it, TRY IT. You'll be amazed at how much you can accomplish. It's fantastic.

*goes off to outline*
Love and Light

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:41 pm
Cassandra says...

So far, I have the first five chapters outlined, plus an idea of my main characters. Unfortunately, none of them have names. I have lists of possible names on their character charts, but for the most part I refer to them as "Priest Dude" and "Servant Boy". Looks like my characters are going to hate me before I even start writing. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:11 pm
tinny says...

I'm still torn between two ideas. One is sometihng that just popped into my head a few weeks ago and I though would be pretty fun to write.
The other is like my child. It's been sitting around in my head for quite a while, and I know that if don't use it for something like this then I probably won't write it because otherwise it will need to be perfect. And then it will just make me go crazy loopy like last time that happened. It's the one i'd love to see written but know it probably never will be.

Actually, thinking about it, using my ikkle mechanic girl might be healthier for me in the long run.

Ket it is! Now I only have to start planning... CURSES!
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:34 pm
Firestarter says...

I went to the bookstore and picked up two big books on Greek culture and of course the much-needed Herodotus's Histories. I've been spending time today getting me head around Greek society so I can really make my characters fit into the time period. I'm trying to remove my usual anachronisms that appear in my character-making. So yeah - loats of research for me over this next week! Then I'll probably advance to some more character-building and further plotting (only got an outline at the moment) to fully develop the story.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:37 pm
Wiggy says...

Isn't research great? I think that's definitely one of the funnest parts of planning a novel...you get smarter and you have fun! Two birds with one stone! :D

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:17 pm
Max McKali says...

ooh, this sounds fun, i'll give it a shot! it'd be a good reason to actually start working :)
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:35 am
yoha_ahoy says...

Eeek! Crysi! I'm much to scared to even write down my ideas for my plot this year! I'm more into the seat-of-your-pants style of writing. All planning is in my head. I just cross my fingers and hope I don't forget any good ideas. ^_^

Hey, Max! Welcome! You should try NaNo!!! It's awesome and you'll definitely have a blast, even if you don't finish. :D

As for everyone else, keep planning! Only 21 days till NaNo begins!! ;)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

10 Reviews

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 am
Max McKali says...

i'm with you, i don't write anything down. i just start writing at random points in the story when i feel like it.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:21 am
Incandescence says...

I've been contemplating actually partaking in this whole Nanowrimo thing, for once. I obviously have neither the time nor the ability to truly commit to it, and that is why I think I'll elect to do it this year--

Newton's Third Law of Students: for every good motivation to do work there is an equal and opposite distraction.

I'm not really a fan of outlines, since they tend to be limited and consume large amounts of time when you make changes in the story.

Hm...:sips coffee:
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:14 am
Wiggy says...

I'm seriously lovin' that quote Brad....*steals quote*

Maybe I'll just commit this year to work on my novel, but not officially do NaNo. I really want to do it (trust me), but there's just no way with what I have to do....

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:51 pm
Cassandra says...

question: if i register to do the NaNoWriMo thing, do i have to use my real name? idk why, i just don't like attaching my name to things.

^ Nope. You can make up any username you want, just like on this forum. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:18 am
backgroundbob says...

Ready, yes.

Planned... not *exactly*, no...
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

10 Reviews

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 am
Max McKali says...

question: if i register to do the NaNoWriMo thing, do i have to use my real name? idk why, i just don't like attaching my name to things.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:27 am
Elelel says...

Am I ready?

Um ... no.

I was but then decided I didn't like that idea after all. So ... currently I have nothing. Not even an idea or world or character.

Hahahahahahaha ... and I'm a plan driven sort of writer ...

Not good.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:57 am
Firestarter says...

Everyone on the forums go here:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/newbb/ ... &forum=171

I made a YWS thread! XD
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley