z

Young Writers Society

Make Up The Worst Possible Opening Line Ever

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:31 am
bubblewrapped says...

This is based on one I just read on Fiction Press (the third line is verbatim) -

The kingdom of Fishpond was a beautiful place. With tall towers reaching towards the sun like crooked teeth. Commoners littered the streets, heading to another day at work. Ancient cars vomited smoke over the roads; choking and yelling in the grey dawn.

Far be it for me to make fun of fellow writers, but it was pretty hilarious. Particularly the poor commoners, littering the streets. :lol:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:42 pm
Tara says...

The End
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:25 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*laughs* that's great!
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:44 am
Boni_Bee says...

It wasn't me

In the end...

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:10 am
Crayon says...

This is the best thing you will ever read, ever!.....

.....so very sad
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:20 am
Snoink says...

bubblewrapped wrote:This is based on one I just read on Fiction Press (the third line is verbatim) -

The kingdom of Fishpond was a beautiful place. With tall towers reaching towards the sun like crooked teeth. Commoners littered the streets, heading to another day at work. Ancient cars vomited smoke over the roads; choking and yelling in the grey dawn.

Far be it for me to make fun of fellow writers, but it was pretty hilarious. Particularly the poor commoners, littering the streets. :lol:

Can you imagine the roads choking and yelling in the grey dawn while the cars vomit all over them? XD

Um... yeah.

Story opening:

Um... yeah. I have no idea what I'm writing about.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:25 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Opening line:

A lot of people think that I'm just a frog, that I hop around all day and don't do anything at all. They're right.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:59 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke. Stroke.

Rowing makes me very tired.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:11 pm
backgroundbob says...

plz plz plz crit m3 i n33d 2 lurn 2 rite gud.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:11 pm
Eyes says...

He he he ........ :D :lol:

" Where did I leave my underware," she cried , clearly distressed, " I was only wearing them yeasterday".

:roll: Yea I know........

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:18 am
Poor Imp says...

"Oh for the luva gawd!" shrieked the pouting woman petulantly, enormous eyes blinking widely and angrily. "I thought you always knew bettah, Julian. But you're a ----ing jerk, y'know? I thought you had a heart!" And wailing with the highest possible treble shrill, hopelessly undone, she collapsed in his lap and sobbed.

Er...this would be my experience with some people and adverbs. It seemed awful to me. :shock:
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:23 am
Sponson Light says...

Copyright Infringment
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:34 am
Elizabeth says...

There once... was a man.... he was doing his dishes... and while he was doing his dishes... he opened.... the dishwasher.... and whaddaya know! - a dragon popped out! *etc etc*

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:01 am
bubblewrapped says...

Yeah, so...the other day, right, I was walking down the road, you know? Going to the dairy. And, like, this GUY, he, well, you know, appeared out of nowhere. Like, just like that.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

But in general deep fat fryers cause essex fish to lose weight and go on coke induced shopping sprees which cause their rodent husbands to combust with nausea of paper.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus