z

Young Writers Society

After the Massacre

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm
View Likes
Via says...

*This storybook is being run by Via and Kitty15, so if you have any questions feel free to PM either of us!*

Background

On November 29, 1864, a Coloradan Militia took it upon themselves to break the peace treaty with the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes and attacked at Sand Creek in what would become known as the Sand Creek Massacre. Many of the Native American men were out of camp, hunting and protecting, and it's been estimated that anywhere from 66-80% of those killed were women and children. Those who were killed were not just murdered, but were also mutilated and scalped--including infants--and their various "parts" were often taken to local saloons and hung as souvenirs.
Many chiefs were killed during the battle, and all those who managed to escape the massacre spread to various other Cheyenne and Arapaho camps through Arkansas, Colorado, and Wyoming. A small select group, with their chief, moved into Cheyenne, Wyoming to avoid run-ins with any more Colorado Militia. In Cheyenne they have their own camp, which is part of a peace treaty with the US currently, but having just moved to the area recently they often find themselves lacking supplies and needing to go to town to get them--putting them in direct contact with the cowboys and rebels of Cheyenne.
So far, the relations between the Cowboys and the Indians have been congenial, but it's obvious that this is only on the surface. Both sides are secretly preparing themselves for a war.
(more here)

The Book
This storybook will take place in the summer of 1865, 7-8 months after the Sand Creek Massacre, in Cheyenne, WY. There will need to be representation from both sides. Remember that many women and children were killed in the battle, so there would be a high population of men vs. women. If you usually play females, considering trying a male! There are a few necessary characters that we have to have and they are listed below--I will add your other characters as they are made.

Also, although it's very tempting, it would be very very unusual and frowned upon for a cowboy and an Indian to be in a relationship together. Not to say it can't happen, but it would need to be incredibly secretive, and both sides would probably kill those involved in such a relationship.

Please keep names traditional. At this time, you'd be hard pressed to find a Native American with an English name (no "Jacob," "Haileys," etc.). Here is a list of traditional Arapaho names, or you can always do something animal such as "Little Bear," which was also commonplace for males--not so much with females.

Character profile
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Side: [/b](Cowboys/Indians)
[b]Age: [/b]
[b]Appearance: [/b]
[b]Personality: [/b]
[b]Family & Background: [/b]
[b]Other: [/b]

Characters

Indians
Chief: Kitty15 - Blind Wolf
Chief's Wife: Via - Ela BullBear
Chief's Child: Isha (Character TBA)
Chief's Child 2: Skorpionne (Charactr TBA)
Indian: CelticaNoir
Indian: ReisePiecey - Rajnish Ila

Cowboys
Leader of the Rebels:
Cowboy: AquaMarine (character TBA)
Cowboy: Kitty15 (character TBA)

Please feel free to PM us with any questions!

Also, here is the DT.
Last edited by Via on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:16 pm
View Likes
AquaMarine says...

Hey, I'd love to be a cowboy here. Can't make a profile right now, but I promise to later. :) Is that okay? I'll just edit this post.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

694 Reviews

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Yes Aqua :)

694 Reviews

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:57 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Name: Ela BullBear

Side (Cowboys/Indians): Indians

Appearance: Ela (meaning "earth") is a fairly short woman at only about 5'2," with long, waist length, thick and waving black hair. Her skin is caramel and she shines a pair of dark chocolate eyes. She is small framed and only weighs a little over 100lbs, having lost a decent amount of weight during the trek from Sand Creek to Cheyenne, and not been able to put it back on.

Spoiler! :

Personality: Ela is stubborn, to say the least. She has always been a go-getter and a fighter, and will do anything for her children and her sisters in the tribe and never complains. But, recently, she's been hard to motivate.

Family & Background: Ela was one of 8 children, however five of her siblings were killed in the Sand Creek Massacre. She and Blind Wold were wed when Ela was only 16 years old, and they welcomed their first child the next year. Blind Wolf became chief halfway through their marriage, and the two had four more children together--their most recent is currently only 4 months old. During the massacre, two of their children were killed. Their oldest son was gone from camp and was unharmed, but their three youngest (and a pregnant Ela) were still present. Ela tried to protect them the best she could. They ran from the soldiers but Ela was unable to see what was coming around the bend. Blind Wolf, however, was. The children were in front of her as they run, her holding the hand of one child, and Ela was suddenly pulled out of the path (taking one child with her) by Blind Wolf. They watched in horror, his hand over her their mouths to prevent them from screaming, as the two children were murdered and scalped before them. Blind Wolf led them to a hole that had been dug on the banks Sand Creek and they waited for the soldiers to leave before escaping. Often, Ela finds herself subconsciously blaming Blind Wolf for the death of the children, but she also knows she would have been killed too if he didn't stop her. Sometimes she's just not sure whether it would have to better to have then killed than to live with that scene in her head for the rest of her life.

Other:

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:19 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I added a code for lazy people, hope you don't mind my dear <3 Here's my chief and I'll write the cowboy's profile later.

Name: Blind Wolf
Side: Indians

Appearance: Blind Wolf is a powerful figure of a man, though he is skinnier and less well nourished than he previously was. His skin is a rich caramel and his arms and legs are adorned with battle scars, many of them from the spears of other Indians. His hair is long and dark, as wild as the mane of any lion and he wears his chief headdress with great pride. Blind Wolf is not the tallest of men and certainly not the biggest in his tribe, but he makes up for this with fierce expressions and his sharp, dark eyes.

Image: Click.

Personality: Blind Wolf was born to be a leader. He is strong and fierce in battle, but also compassionate and companionable. He has the strength and knowledge to stand alone but values the family unit and the strength of the pack. Blind Wolf will do whatever he can to find a safe path for his tribe, but he is not afraid to fight if that seems to be the best option.

Family & Background: Blind Wolf was the oldest of three siblings; two boys and a girl. He knew from a very young age that one day the tribe would be his to lead, but as a child he didn't want that. Blind Wolf was an independent boy and impulsive, he thirsted for the kill and for a time his father believed that his eldest son was destined to be taken away in battle and that the younger, calmer one would take his place.

However, as the years passed and the teachings started to take hold, Blind Wolf grew not only in terms of physical strength, but also inward strength. He found a peace within himself when he started to fall in love with Ela and realised that it would take more than strenngth and cunning to steal her. It wouuld also take compassion.

After his marriage and the birth of his first child, Blind Wolf mellowed into a peaceful, protective leader. He did not become passive, but he realised that sometimes fighting just wasn't the way and he traveled deep into spiritual teachings, searching for the best path for his family and tribe. Then after his father's death, Blind Wolf became chief in his early thirties.

During the massacre, many of the men including his oldest son had gone out on a hunting expedition while Blind Wolf and a small band of protectors and elderly men remained at the camp. When they were attacked, Blind Wolf commanded the women aand children to flee while he and the men held back the soldiers. Blind Wolf intended to die a brave death that day but he believes it was not the will of the spirits and that it was they who sent him the knowledge needed to save his wife, so that he might also be saved and continue to lead the tribe. Blind Wolf was able to pull Ela and one of their children away, just in time and he held them back and covered their mouths as their other two children were slain and mutilated before them.

It was a very sad day and few of the women and children escaped so that when the men returned, many were angry with Blind Wolf for failing to save their wives and children. They were angry because he had been able to save his own. But he was still chief so most closed their annger away and only a few decided to leave the tribe.

Other: Blind Wolf is very conflicted at the moment and seeks guidance from his spirit guide.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:49 pm
eldEr says...

I'll finish this I swear.

Name: Gopan

Appearance:

Personality:

Family & Background:

Other:
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:35 pm
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Ummmmm. Can I get an Indian? Not too sure about gender yet, but I'll have to profile up in the next few days. :P
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:37 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Sure you can Isha!

I've realised there's actually two slots for it because we've got their 'eldest son' and the one who survived the massacre. Or three I guess, if you count the four month old child which Ela was pregnant with at the time, but I'm just going to go ahead and say nobody can play the baby ;)

Skorpionne has laid claim to the other so you guys can decide amongst yourselves who has the oldest son (he would be 18) and who has the other, which can be either gender and I don't particularly mind about age. Just younger than 18 obviously.
Writing Gooder

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:12 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Name: Rajnish (Lord of the Night) Ila
(Not sure about this last name)

Appearance: Raj is tall, 6"2, and has a well toned body, because, being the only son, he had to do most all of the phsically labor because his Father was disabled. He has long dark brown hair and dark eyes. He has tribal spiral tattoos circling both of his upper arms and a scar cutting across his chest from the Sand Creek Massacre.
Spoiler! :
The one with the braids.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Raj is extremely determined, but has a one track mind and can only be focused on one specific task at one time. For example, if his task is to get water and someone starts a conversation with him he will completely forget the water and talk with that person until the conversation is over. If he remembers the water afterwards he will go and finish his initial task.

Loud noises, strange flashes of light, and misplaced objects catch his attention all too quickly. Usually this is a great skill to have when hunting, he's alerted to everything that's not as it should be, but a vice in everyday life. Some might say he's even a bit paranoid.

Other than that Rajnish is a normal guy. He likes to work hard and doesn't like being surrounded by people and prefers to stay in small groups if possible. He's very trusting and will never betray you. He also has a deep hatred for the Cowboys and thinks them the worst people on the planet.

Family & Background:

Rajnish was the only child of his two parents. When Raj was ten his father took him out to go hunting for the first time. They were closing in on their prey when Raj tripped and fell and the buffalo came rushing towards them. Raj ran away scared and left his father alone to fight. His father got away but not without losing one of his legs and suffering bad puncture wounds and cuts. Raj feels as if his father injury was all his fault and since that day decided he would never again run away from a fight.

Both his Mother and his Father were killed in the Sand Creek Massacre, leaving Raj an orphan. He'd never lived alone, but knew how to take care of himself an other because he was the only child and had to take care of his Father, who had only one leg, and his Mother. He learned how to be a good hunter after the buffalo incident and was always on defense from that moment on.

Other: He tries to be as strong as possible and will do anything to protect the ones he cares about. He hates it when he's weak. He likes hunting and providing for other people because he's not a selfish person and believes in the good of the whole over than the good of the one.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 pm
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

Placeholder for profile!
<3

*edit* (sorry forgot to mention who. :P my bad)

Union soldier who is part of the investigation into what actually happened.
Last edited by Shadowlight on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:44 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Placeholder for profiles.

Indian girl and a cowboy.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

694 Reviews

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 am
View Likes
Via says...

Shadow and Scarlet -- For Indian or Cowboy?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:52 am
Skorpionne says...

Profile in construction. Profile DONE! Btw, Ish, I decided to tone down the optimism a little.

Name: Narsimha (Lion among men)

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality:
Narsimha doesn't find it hard staying optimistic. On the contrary, he's an incredibly upbeat person. He doesn't like sitting still for long, and is constantly fidgeting.

Narsimha is also very laid back, as a rule. His relaxed "It'll all turn out alright," attitude is often getting him into rouble.

He loves talking, and it's incredibly hard to get him to shut up.

Family & Background: (I'll be brief here, seeing as it's alreay been covered in other profiles) Narsimha was Blind Wolf's third-oldest child, and led a reasonably uneventful life until the massacre, where he watched two of his siblings murdered.

Narsimha has coped with their deaths surprisingly well for his age, realising that they wouldn't have wanted him to be sad, and getting on with his life.

Other: Is afraid of scorpions due to a nasty encounter when he was three.
Last edited by Skorpionne on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:27 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Get those profiles in everyone! We'll give you a few more days to finish these off and then we'll start :D
Writing Gooder

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:55 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Okay so its been forever and for that I apologise! But I think it's finally time we got this show on the road ^^

Blind Wolf

It was a good day today. Blind Wolf felt comforted by the dream he had just left, in which his spirit guide told him that they would travel toward the sun and bask in her protective glow. This was very good for the tribe because they were all much sad and much in need of protection.

Blind Wolf's wife Ela was still sleeping as he pulled back the skins and wriggled out of the tent. That was well. Ela had been troubled of late and the sleep would be good for her. Perhaps the spirits would also send Ela visions to comfort her over the loss of two of their children. These were sad times.

Collecting his spear and his clothing from just inside the tent, Blind Wolf donned his warm cloak and then made his way across to the river. They had been following it for many days now and he was sad that they would part from it. The river was good. It gave them life and comfort, but now they would have to leave it behind and trust in the sun to guide them. Blind Wolf had been confused by the vision at first. He had not understood why his wolf kept turning away from the river when it seemed so safe to him, but then he had looked up and seen the sun and how its path lay ahead of them.

As Blind Wolf knelt to fill his water skin, he heard rustling in the bushes and his grip on his spear tightened as he moved into a ready stance. It was only Rajnish though.

"The sun is warm today," he said by way of a greeting. He turned to face the camp and beckoned for Rajnish to approach him. "The women must be told that today we will leave the river. All water skiins must be filled, so I have commanded."
Writing Gooder

Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin