z

Young Writers Society

Apprentice Wars **Permission Only**

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 am
Shadowlight says...

(I have dyslexia so please forgive any punctuation/spelling errors that you may find, they are not the product of laziness I assure you. And as always, If i have done something amiss please PM me and I will happily edit....also you people are insane, 30 notifications on this SB and the DT alone! XD)

Rayden Thorn/Road then town:

“Rayden you bloody idiot!” Dante shrieked into my ear, flapping about on my shoulder like some half plucked rooster. “Idiot, we're going to be late you you don't hurry it up! You're walking as slow as a pregnant heifer- don't you remember what the poster said!?”

He ground on and on, I rolled my eyes.

“Any contestant's late for entry-” he parroted the wording of the poster we had seen on the wall of an alley, “will be immediately disqualified-that will be us if you don't step up!”

I flapped my hand at him to dislodge him from my shoulder, he alighted on my forearm.

“Will you hush you old hen?” Even to my own ears my voice was sounding more hoarse each and every day. Dante Glared his golden eyed glare at me. “Also,” I went on, trying to speed up my pace, “We're not THAT late, only a half and hour.”

“Rayden,” Dante bawled rolling his eyes at me, “We were supposed to be there an hour ago- do you have any idea how many people must be signing up for this? No! There may be hundreds, thousands even- every single on of them is going to have to sign in, and get what ever they need to get. That all takes TIME, which we are rapidly running out of and- Rayden? Rayden are you listening to me!?”

I honestly had stopped listening to him, I started guiltily. Dante was almost livid. He glared and ruffled his feathers to such a state that he looked like a scarlet and gold feather duster. I began to snicker, Dante suddenly lost all his fire and looked worried.

“Rayden stop laughing! You're going to make yourself cough.”

He said it too late, my laughing turned to the bloody cough which I had grown to loath so much. I was forced to stop walking and lean down on my knees to try to catch my ragged breath as each cough racked my body.

A young woman who had been a little ahead of us on the road stopped when she heard Dante's squawks of anxiety and cam hurrying back, she laid a hand on my shoulder.

“Hey, are you alright?” She said, her voice was pleasant sounding. I looked up and tried to smile.

“Who me? Oh I'm fine, just the dust.”

-not a compete lie.

She looked skeptical .

“You sure?” she probed, hands on her hips and head cocked to one side- my heart gave a small painful twist.

-Seena used to glare at me like that...

I plastered a smile on my face, hiding the pain I was in- my lungs felt like they were on fire.

“No really, I'll be fine,” I paused then went on. “You're in the games aren't you?” she nodded slowly. “Well then you should get a move on, they're going to be starting soon.”

She looked me up and down then shrugging turned and began to walk away, but turned a little distance.

“So you're really sure you don't need help then?”

-She was a stubborn one.

“Like someone else I know.”

Dante grumbled into my mind, I rolled my eyes at him.

“I'm really fine, thanks.” She shrugged at me and with a light springing step headed down the road again. I slowly, painfully made my way over to the low stone wall that marched along side the road and sat down.

“Hells teeth!” I groaned clutching my chest. Dante hopped onto the wall beside me and fidgeted, worriedly.

“Rayden?” he said quietly, looking up at me- god forbid- gently. “Why?”

I frowned, confused.

“Why what?” he hopped onto my knee,

“Why are you doing this? It's killing you- all this walking.” I smiled and stroked his jewel toned feathers.

“I-I don't know why I'm doing it. This man, people say he is a powerful magic user. I thought maybe if we win, he'd heal me?” I said it more as a question then a statement- Dante wasn't fooled.

“What's the real reason?” I chewed my lip, I didn't want to answer him that one.

“Come on,” I said standing, and began to head towards the city again. “We don't want to be THAT late.”

I could feel his eyes on the back of my head- the stinker was glaring again, I just knew it! He was angry with me. I could feel it radiating off of him- my assumption was proved correct when the two empty scabbards strapped to my back suddenly became heavy- he had shifted into his weapon form.

And he stayed angry with me all the way until we reached the town. The streets were fairly bursting with people, every side-street and inch of the cobbled road was swollen with crowds going every which way- pushing and shoving. The noise was deafening.

-“My god!” Dante finally burst out, “What hole did they all come crawling out of?”

I smiled, trying to hold back a small laugh as I shoved my way to the center of a small square- that didn't seem so choked with people.

“So you're talking to me again?” I said wryly to him, glancing over my shoulder at the twin swords that were strapped there. I felt, rather than heard his mental grumble and him mutter something about- “No one likes a smart ass”.

I looked about, trying to figure out “where” I was supposed to go next- almost in answer I spyed a tent that had a large sign painted in red.

-ALL ENTRIES SIGN IN-

- “Well that was painfully obvious.”
-Dante grumbled, I could feel his irritation.

When I made it to the desk there a man- not much older than myself was seated there

“Name, Age, Race,” he said sounding bored.

“Rayden Thorn, twenty six, Rouge.” I said, looking around. Moments later I was headed towards a tent, a scrap of paper in my hand.

-”Another tattoo?” Dante asked, he sounded bored now, I shrugged.

“I guess so, they need to identify us someho-” Suddenly I collided with someone, they started to go down but instinctively I caught her- for it was a young woman- and held her arm fast.

“Sorry!” she mumbled meeting my eyes- my breath hitched slightly. Her eyes, they were like the sea after a storm, and so familiar. She pulled away blushing, looking no less surprised than I. “Sorry about that I guess I wasn't paying attention.” she then walked off. I followed her with my eyes until she was lost in the crowd.

“Dante,” I began slowly, not really believing what- or rather who- I had just seen. “Dante was that Reva?”
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:03 am
KindredSpiritBee says...

Reva Airdronac

I followed Maryx's swift pace to the second tent where we were supposed to get our tattoo's and he dragged me roughly to one of the men giving them. He was ancient, and completely bald, but he had a sweet smile. I was about to sit before him, but Maryx yanked me back and took the spot. He held out his right arm, and pointed to the inside of his forearm. "I want my tattoo there." He said coldly, and the old man nodded, sending me a conspiritorial wink.

I forced a fake smile, and watched as the needle entered Maryx's skin, my fear growing a little bit with each second. Maryx's face was contorted in pain, and he refused to look at the needle doing its work on his skin. Each second his wince became more pronounced and nerves started to bundle in my belly. This was the man that boasted that only a kill blow can take him down after all, clearly the needle was excruciating.

Once it was finally over Maryx got up, still wincing and I sat down. I tapped my neck, on the right side and directly under the jaw and indicated that I wanted it small.

The old man nodded and set to work, tilting my chin up so that he could reach and the needle entered my skin. It stung a little bit, and was uncomfortable, but wasn't painful. Not painful enough to allow my face to show that I didn't like it at all, so I simply sat there and waited for him to finish. He held up a mirror once he was done and I looked at the small letters on my neck. They were delicate and twisting, trailing across my throat gracefully. I gave the old man a kind look. "Thank you." I said quietly and stood, only to have Maryx drag me off.

I jogged, stumbling behind him and when Maryx finally released my wrist I stumbled again, running head first into a hardened chest. I bounced off and would have fallen if the man I had run into hadn't caught me.

"Sorry." I mumbled, sparing him a small glance and then looking down and feeling my face heat up. I realized that I knew that face, this was someone that I knew, and pulled away, feeling thoroughly ashamed of myself. He had blue eyes that reminded me of something... Looking in them was like listening to a melody that you forgot the words of, but is no less familiar. "Sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention." I said quickly, remembering suddenly that I was supposed to be following Maryx, and I hurried off.

I found him at the South entrance of the arena, waiting impatiently for the doors to open.

"Where have you been?!" He snapped, shaking me roughly. "You were supposed to have been healing my arm!"

I opened my mouth to apologise, but a deep, booming voice echoed over our heads.

"The games will begin in exactly five and a quarter minutes! Prepare yourselves to be challenged!" It bellowed, echoing in the space next to the arena. "The task before you is to find a key and proceed to the door in the middle! May the powers be with you!"
Llamas do not have six packs

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:18 am
Leahweird says...

Sebastian

As the start of the games commenced, my sister and I found ourselves in a kind of maze. Serena was all set to charge forward, but I grabbed her arm.

“Give me a minute,” I told her.

Closing my eyes, I let my gift roam through the minds of the people rushing ahead of us. Sure enough, by looking at their thoughts and emotions I could piece together a rough map of the maze around us. As our competitors began to run into dead ends, I realized only one path led further into the labyrinth.

“The one on the left,” I said. “It’s the only way.”

We ran down the hall, trying to make up for lost time. My solution would be faster in the long run, but we were still behind the people who went in the right direction in the first place. Yet this time it was Serena’s turn to stop me.

I watched her silver eyes harden in concentration. Abruptly, what looked like a giant pit materialized in the tunnel behind us, apparently blocking the way. In the darkness, it could convince a lot of people that it was an actual obstacle.

“That’s cheating. Clever, but cheating,” I said.

“So is making a map out of the other participants,” she scoffed. “There are no rules, little brother. Besides, the once that deserve the prize wouldn’t be fooled.”

I sighed. “How long can you keep it up?”

“A while. Hopefully we can get our keys and get out of here before I need to drop the illusion.”

Again I concentrated on the glowing dots of awareness at the edge of my own consciousness.

“That way,” I pointed, and we sprinted into the dark.

(ooc: TI'm switching voice to first person in order to avoid the posts constantly changing tenses. Hopefully I don’t just end up confusing myself :? Also, I am going on the assumption that the Twins are at a different door than Ray, Reva, and Maryx. Though this does not preclude anyone having gone this way before them, or figuring out the trick. :wink: )

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:04 am
FadingBrighter says...

(Sorry it took me so long!)

Name: Elodie and Amber O'Deal(Elodie's point of view)

Appearance: The twins both have long red hair and green eyes so deep and light they could resemble sea foam. Their skin is pale and creamy, though the right side of their torso and arms is marked with a pale blue-green design that resembles a mix of Lilly blooms and vines.
Spoiler! :

Personality:Elodie-quite and shy, but kind and spirited when you get to know her. She tends to keep to herself and will do anything for her friends. She loves the snow,chocolate, as well as the color rose pink which she tends to wear often. On the other hand, she despises spiders, bullies, and fish.
Amber-Amber is loud, boisterous and spirited. Unlike her sister, she is not afraid to stand out, and does so often. She doesn't so much care what happens to others, as long as her sister is alright.

Flaws:The twins powers are split, and they need one another to be able to use them. The two must hold hands for their powers to work. Also, Elodie is easy to push around, because her sister has always protected her.

Skills/special abilities:The girls are good with herbs and healing, but their true power lies in alchemy. Unlike most other forms of magic, alchemy allows the girls to completely transform(not glamour) one object into another. But unlike most alchemists, the girls do not need transformation circles. Both are good fighters :Elodie battles with a scythe while Amber prefers a sword.

History:The girls have been orphans for as long as they can remember. They were raised by a midwife(hence their knowledge of herbs). But, after the midwife lost a young woman during child birth, the midwife was burned at the stake as a witch and the girls were beaten and forced from the city, nearly escaping with their lives. They were only ten years old. now they long to improve their power, and to finally belong.

Up For Love?Amanda-yes.Elodie-no

Name:Nathaniel Varn'aqua

Appearance:Nathaniel is the classic tall dark and handsome. He has medium length black hair, silvery blue eyes, and a muscular physique.
Spoiler! :

Personality:Nathaniel is charming, polite, but a bit of a flirt at times. He's often very serious. But if he's in a good mood, it shows. He enjoys beautiful singing, a good fight, and forests. His favorite color is green. He hates mornings, as well as graveyards(and for good reason.

Flaws:His good looks=) just kidding. Nathaniel is to strong minded, and isn't willing to accept anyone elses' ideas but his own, even after he's been proven wrong.

Skills/special abilities:Nathaniel has an innate knowledge of telekinesis and is very good at it. He also has the 'magic eye' and is able to see anything that was touched by magic. He is also a great horse back rider and a talented sword fighter.

History:Nathaniel is the prince of Arabiwan. His magical powers are revered as those of a god, and he has come to the games to increase his power for his country.

Up For Love?No
Last edited by FadingBrighter on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Omnia mutantur, nihil interit (everything changes, nothing perishes).”
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:28 am
FadingBrighter says...

Elodie stayed near her sister, making her way up to the front desk where they were greeted by a bored looking receptionist.
"Name?" she asked Amber, pen held at the ready.
"Amber and Elodie O'Deal." Amber replied.
"I just need your name,dear." the girl sighed. Amber didn't reply, only looked at the receptionist, not changing her answer.
"Fine then. Age, Gender,and species." the woman sighed. Amber smiled, squeezing Elodie's hand.
"23, female, human." the receptionist jotted down her reply, then handed the two a piece of paper marked with the number 2345. Amber grabbed it, then dragged Elodie towards a shady looking tent. Elodie came to an abrupt halt.
"What is it?" Amber asked. Elodie stared at the massive enclosure before her.
"I don't like this Amber. I don't like this at all."
"Elodie, this is no time to turn back." Amber sighed. Elodie looked at her sister, the fear evident in her eyes. Amber sighed, stepping forward and wrapping her arms around her little sister.
"We promised ourselves this, didn't we? We made a blood oath. We will never be afraid again, Ei, never." Elodie felt all her fear slip away in her sisters strong embrace. It had always been like this. Amber was the strong one. The smart one. The pretty one. Elodie was merely Elodie. Amber's mirror image. And that was that.
"Alright." Elodie said, and they walked inside. A young man ushered them to his chair, and Elodie found herself the first to sit down.
"Where do you want it?" he asked. Elodie glanced at her sister, then pointed to her left shoulder. The man carefully pulled down her shirt, and gasped is surprise. It was a normal reaction.
"What, wha..." he stuttered, staring at the complex mark that colored Elodies right torso, a mark so blue it matched her eyes.
"Stop oggeling at my sister unless you want to lose your face." Amber growled. The tattoo artist cleared his throat.
"I wasn't oggeling."
"Yeah yeah, just give 'er the dang tattoo, will 'ya?"
“Omnia mutantur, nihil interit (everything changes, nothing perishes).”
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 pm
Rydia says...

Delilah

The games were go. Dee hung back as everyone else raced off into the unknown. Idiots. Her suspicions of traps were soon confirmed as a high pitched shriek erupted somewhere to her left. Not that way then. Delilah banked right and moved stealthily, staying close to the wall on her right. She knew how to handle mazes; it was the same way you found your path through the woods. Go right. At every option, every choice, take the right turn and eventually, even if it took you hours, you'd navigate all the way around. Of course, she knew the woods so well that she didn't need to do that. But this maze? Definitely a useful tactic.

Delilah came across people a few times but determined that they didn't have keys and didn't want to waste any time in killing them. So she strode right past, not bothering to hide in the shadows or paying them any heed at all really. She listened for any who might decide to attack her, but most seemed more concerned with their search for the keys. Dee came up against a few dead ends, some more perilous than others and would pause first to make sure there really wasn't a way over or around them. But then she'd turn and follow the wall on her right.

These keys were proving difficult to find. Dee had expected that they'd be in open sight and the emphasis would be on fighting for your key, not finding it. Apparently everyone liked a good game of hide and seek though. Up ahead there looked to be another dead end but Dee walked up to it first to double check. It looked like a wall. It stood in the way like a wall might. Dee had a full proof plan for obstacles like this though. She had a stick. While most of the contestants had brought swords, Dee had an assortment of items from her woodsman kit. So Dee prodded the wall with the stick and found that it was indeed a wall. Alright. Turn around, follow the wall on the right.

The next obstacle was one of those perilous ones; a giant pit. Dee didn't like the look of that. It was long and wide, not something that could be easily jumped, but she could see the path continuing on the far side. Was it meant as a false lead? Were people suppossed to see this and think surely that path had to be reached, surely that had to be the way to go? Dee didn't know. She moved closer to the edge, taking baby steps and listening for anyone sneaking up behind. She did not want to get pushed down there.

Once she was close enough though, Dee pushed her stick out in front of her and lowered it into the dark, intending to see how deep the pit was. A shallow pit could easily be dropped into and then a quick scrabble at the other side and she'd be up. What she hadn't expected to find though was a pit quite so shallow as this. Her stick was still at ground level when it struck something. Dee edged closer and tried again but once more her stick seemed to strike the ground.

An illusion then? Dee made her wayy across carefully, probing ahead with the sticck, just in case there was a real sink-hole or smaller pit hidden in the fake one. There wasn't though and she felt quite pleased with herself as she made her way forward, following the wall on thhe right.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:13 pm
Betheny says...

Etney

It was cold inside the maze. Cold enough that even my fire could not warm me fully. I guess it hadn't been a good idea to wear a loose corset and jeans, crimson red and black of course. The tattoo I'd been given still stung a bit but at least the cold air was acting as a balm. I found it strange just how many went running head first into the darkness without even inspecting the walls that cages them. The walls had a gentle sheen to them, summoned magic often did, this meant that this had to the room where alot of the events will take place. Unless there's an emense cave system that is. I lit a fire in left hand so that I could see while reading the air with my right. If anyone tried sneaking up on me they'd be in for a shock. Every now and then I'd let my fire dance on ahead, as if it had a will of it's own. I wondered rather aimlessly for a while before coming across a large pit. At a glance I saw that it didn't a that the same glow everything did. I frowned and raised my right hand, trying to fill in the earth only to see a mound rise. Brow furrowing I let the ground drop again and started to walk across the space where a pit should be. Once on the other side I turned back and smiled realising that it was an illusion.
"I like that," I murmered, "And the person who created it."

Having ventured a little further down the passageway, I found that it branched off in numerous directions. I think I stood there for a good long time, stuck on which way to go, before I heard footsteps echoing behind me. Oh dear, Was the only thought that crossed my mind.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

136 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:06 pm
Leahweird says...

Serena

It seemed like forever before we actually found a key. Sebastian’s trick was cool and everything, but it meant people kept getting to the prize before us. Even now there was somebody right around the corner, searching for the same thing we were.

“So this is what the real keys look like,” I said, as my brother lifted the elaborate golden object from its container.

I pulled another rock from my pocket. It was much easier to create an illusion from something else than from nothing. My version was a lot simpler, but I figured only someone who had seen the real thing would realize this, and they were probably already cheating unless there was another team like my brother and I.

Sebastian finally decided to comment.

“That is a little bit meaner than the pit thing. What if something happens to the people who use your fake keys?”

“Why should anything happen? They probably just won’t be able to get through. Besides, this is just a distraction. I hope to make it difficult for them to reach the exit anyway.”

“Can you keep up this many illusions at once?”

“They’re not that elaborate. Besides, this is what I’ve been training for. If I can’t use my magic to the fullest extent, what’s the point?”

Sebastian shook his head, but he didn’t protest as I put yet another fake key back in the box where a real one had been. Then we snuck out of the corridor and down the next path that would take us closer to the centre of the maze.

This time I turned the doorway into a wall. It was time to really start narrowing the field.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 pm
KindredSpiritBee says...

Reva Airdronac

The doors opened slowly, and a crush of people surrounded me, shoving and hitting their way into the arena. I let them go, waiting until I didn’t have to fight to take a step forward, but Maryx wouldn’t have any of that. He grabbed onto my wrist and dragged me through the crush of people, yanking me along whenever I stumbled or somebody shoved me.
Someone shoved me particularly hard and I hit the ground, scrambling to get back up before I was stepped on by somebody. Maryx pulled on me particularly hard and I winced as something in my shoulder popped, shooting pain through it and I whimpered, holding it gently as I tried to stand.

I eventually waited out the crowd, dodging feet so that I wouldn't be trampled and only got up when I was the last one. I wasn't going to fight particularly hard to advance in a competition that I had little interest in. I stood there, looking at my three options in the maze and tried to deduce which was the best option.

I knew that I was facing north, and that the exit was in the middle of the maze. Since the arena was a large circle, or oval, I knew that the center was straight ahead, so my best bet would be… I looked at the three corridors with people mostly rushing into the one straight ahead. It quickly turned to the left which was east. I looked at the other two, both of which immediately turned north. I slowly started down the one on the left, trying to keep my wits about me and hoping that I got out alive.

Not very many people chose this direction and I couldn’t help but think that was a good thing because I wasn’t entirely sure that I was up for a confrontation. Eventually I broke out into a jog, doing my best to keep going straight north without going too far to each side. It was fairly easy to be honest, you just had to be careful to make up for any turns in another direction and after about thirty minutes of an easy jog I came to a fork in the road that made me stop.

“Hey!” Someone called behind me and I turned to face them, dodging the dagger that came flying at my head. They cursed as I held up Kitty in preparation to defend myself.
Llamas do not have six packs

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:51 pm
Secrets13 says...

Katie
(I switched to 1st)
I wandered through the maze, hugging myself. Surprisingly enough I hadn't really run into anyone yet, only a few traps, which were too easy to bypass.
The farther in I walked, the colder it seemed to get. A sharp shiver ran down my spine, and I turned a corner. There, stood a group of people, the same group of people who were mocking me earlier.
"Hey it's that weakling from earlier!" One of them spotted me. I squeaked and tried to run away, but one of them grabbed me before I could think of my next move.
"You aren't going anywhere cutie." He hissed in my ear, and threw me back towards him friends. I tried to squirm away, but they were much stronger than I was.
"Now, what should we do with her boys?" Another one asked. His putrid breath waved over me, and I had to hold back a gag. Their sweaty, hairy bodies rubbed up against me in all the wrong places and I wanted to scream; I wanted to fight back, but my arms were pinned behind me.
"Now, let's take off these ugly glasses of yours." One of the reached for my face.
yes Kara purred inside my head. I shook violently, afraid to switch, but I had no choice. I let him take my glasses.

Kara
My mouth curved up into a small smirk. Katie was neatly tucked away, and it was my turn. Finally.
"Bad idea." I purred, and pushed a knife out of my shoe and stabbed the guy closest to me. Lucikly, he was the one holding my hands and I was let free.
"Get her!" The supposed leader shouted, and they all rushed me at once.
"Weaklings." I huffed, and quickly pulled out several daggers and throwing them, buring them deep inside their necks. Their bloody cries were music to my ears.
"You...you..." The last one gasped, looking at me wide-eyed and I was pretty sure he had wet himself.
"Yes. I am your death." I purred, walking over to him.
"Please! Please don't kill me!" He begged, running away from me.
"Pitiful." I sighed, and chucked another dagger with deadly accuracy.
As I turned away to gather my daggers, I heard footsteps around the corner. I grabbed another weapon and stood still, ready to kill. Two people turned down my path, one a boy and one a girl. They looed very similiar, most likely siblings, twins. They were holding an object, most likely a key needed to continue.
"Who are you?" The boy asked me, his face full of confusion. His hair was dark, possibly black, but I couldn't really tell from this distance, and he stood tall, with an almost pompous air about him.
"Who wants to know?" I replied. For some reason, I lost my want to kill them, and I stood straight. I would find another key somewhere else.
"I am Sebastian, and this is my sister Serena." He replied, motioning to the girl next to him.
"Sebastian, we are wasting time here let's go!" Serena said, dragging him away. I followed them with my eyes, but ultimately decided against following them.
Kara... I heard Katie whimper.
"Shut up." I growled, picking up the glasses and putting them in my pocket. "You need me to get through this, just sit tight awhile."
Every answer is only a question away.

136 Reviews

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 pm
Leahweird says...

Sebastian

“What’s wrong?” Serena asked me. I think she must have seen how often I was glancing back down the tunnel behind us.

“There’s something wrong with that girl,” I said. “It’s like there were two people occupying the same space.”

“Like, extremely close together?”

“No, more like one was superimposed over the other.”

It was the oddest sensation. And on top of this, the one that seemed to be dominant had the kind of emotions I usually tried to stay away from. Here was this incredibly cute girl, yet I was pretty sure she had just killed someone.

“Well, I wish you would concentrate. We still need to find another key.”

I knew why she was worried. We were running out of time.

“You should just go on without me,” I said.

I had to suppress the sense of panic I always felt whenever I thought about separating. It was ridiculous. It wasn’t like I wouldn’t still be connected to her, and if we did manage to win there was a high chance that we wouldn’t be able to stay together. That didn’t stop me from freaking out at the thought of sending her on alone.

“Don’t be silly. I need you with me if I’m going to succeed.”

That was a relief, but our situation was still precarious. I concentrated on where everyone was, trying to figure out how many keys were still left to find. When I looked at Serena again I realized how tired she was beginning to look. Keeping up so many different illusions, even if none of them were very good, must be wearing her out.

“We need to change tactics,” I told her.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:45 pm
Rydia says...

Delilah

There was someone up ahead. Dee smirked to herself as she approached, listening to the sound of breathing, listening to the sound of living. She stopped when she was still a couple of steps away from the girl. Young girl. Strange girl. Dee didn't think she'd ever seen anyone with white hair before and certainly not someone with that colour skin. She stood a moment, waiting for the girl to turn around, waiting for something to happen.

This was dull. Dee was just about to move on and take the path on the right when the girl finally turned to face her. "Aren't you going to walk past me?" she asked.

"I was waiting for you to do something," Dee admitted, fingering the sling shot in her back pocket. She didn't need to touch it. She knew she could have it out and swinging in seconds, since it was already armed.

"Well. I'm choosing a path." The girl eyed her in a cautious way. Dee didn't think she had a key. She wasn't sure what someone with a key looked like but she thought more cheerful than this. Dee still diidn't have a key either.

"I'm going right," she said, stepping a little closer.

"Oh." Dee frowned at the girl, wonderiing what was supposed to happen now. Was this where she decided to narrow the competition down or did they pretend to work together, each secretly looking out for their own means.

"I want to win this," Dee said. "I'm not going to find a key for you or anything so I don't see that there's any point in us going the same way." Surely the other girl would feel the same way?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

136 Reviews

Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 pm
Leahweird says...

Serena

I skipped down the bleak hallway. My brother and I had separated for a moment. He had told me about the group that had bad banded together to bully people out of their keys, but I hadn’t really believed him until they jumped me.

“Hey, I need that!” I shouted, as someone took the key from around my neck.

“This one isn’t like the others,” said one guy.

“It must be a fake,” said a girl. “Someone search her.”

“Don’t touch me,” I sneered at them. I pulled a more elaborate version of the prize from my left boot and handed it over. It was better this way.

“I think she’s holding out on us,” said the same girl. She was carrying a crossbow. Who uses a crossbow?

“Maybe we should search her. Rough her up a bit.”

Suddenly, flames began to sprout over my entire body. I made a show of screaming in agony. Fortunately, no one tried to save me.

“We got what we wanted. Let’s get out of here.”

It was that girl again. She must have been the leader, because the whole group took off as quickly as they came. Once they were gone, I let the illusionary flames die. I loved that trick, but it was hard to keep it up for a good length of time.

I also dispelled the shadows that kept Sebastian hidden from sight. True invisibility was hard to pull off, but in some circumstances awesome camouflage could work just as well.

“Did you get it?” I asked.

He opened his jacket to reveal the golden key tucked in his jeans.

“It was in her back pocket. Just where I said it would be. You didn’t actually lose yours did you?”

I pulled the real key out of my other boot.

“I wish I could see their faces when they figure out that one is a fake too,” I said, grinning. “With any luck they’ll turn on each other.”

Sebastian didn’t answer, but I hoped he was okay now that we were both for sure going to the next round. I think the poor dear thought I would really leave him behind.

“Shall we?”

“Let’s”

Now all we needed to do was find the door.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:46 am
creativemuse1 says...

Ty/Maze

Ty's upper arm and left shoulder blade was watering the ground with blood. He needed to stitch his wound closed before he bleeded to death. 'At least,' Ty thought, 'I got the jerk with the glowing hands going around cutting people.' He saved a few others only for one of them to almost stab him in the back. He was lucky to have stolen the key from the glowing hands guy.

Ty used his shirt to bandage his arm. The pain was getting worse and worse. Everything around him was going blurry. Too much blood gone. Ty needed to find the other door. He knew he wouldn't be done but at least he was somewhere else. Ty's breathing intensified. He was wobbling through corners and occasionally hitting his bad arm on a wall that he didn't see a second ago. He knew he was leaving trails of blood that people could follow if they were smart or brave enough. Everything looked like one color even though the maze was a concrete gray and the ground, a brownish soiled dirt with patches of grass here and there. He accidently fell down near two people. Ty couldn't make out their features or what they were wearing.
:)Life is full of hard times and good times. Lift your chin up, Ladies and Gentlemen.

136 Reviews

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:02 am
Leahweird says...

Sebastian

My sister swore and dropped down beside the man at our feet. She had to use her blouse to try and stop the bleeding. You’d think one of us would have remembered to stop the bleeding, but we hadn’t expected to get hurt ourselves, and we really didn’t plan on helping anyone else.

“Serena, concentrate on his wound, not his abs.” I said.

The biggest downside to being able to read my sister so easily is finding myself checking out guys. Since I seem to be straight when left to my own devices, this can obviously get a bit awkward.

She scowled at me, but seemed to start trying to keep her mind on the business at hand.

“He has a key,” she pointed out.

“Yes, but he needs a healer. Or at least someone with medical training.”

“I know that! I’m just saying it will make things easier if we manage to find the door. I bet we can get help on the other side.”

That was a good idea, actually. I thought she might make a joke about how lucky the boy was that we already had keys, but even if he hadn’t had one we couldn’t have just left him. This guy didn’t deserve tricks or theft.

“It looks like we’re actually going to have to split up,” said my sister.

I nodded. We needed to find help or a way out, quickly. It would have to be me that left, of course. We needed to be able to find each other again, and I could always make my way back to her.

“Are you going to be okay while I’m gone?” I asked.

“Oh, sure. I can always hide us if anyone sketchy comes along.”

“Is he safe from you?”

“Sebastian! He’s gravely injured!” She answered, indignantly. “Seducing him now wouldn’t be any fun at all.”

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda