z

Young Writers Society

You are being watched. *started/SRopen*

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm
LadySpark says...

Sorry, I haven't been posting guys. I will...
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm
View Likes
Camulaeus says...

Colm| Opposed

A hint of anger had slipped into Esta's voice. So far the flirty approach had been working: I just wasn't sure i could go any farther with it.

"Please... Just see what I see." She begged, placing her hands on either side of my head. I analyzed the landscape: lake, cattle-ish creatures in the distance, flora.. wait. I peered closely at the undergrowth. Every leaf was perfect, every stick was unbroken: the formation of each plant was perfect.

"How...?" I whispered to myself. "It's perfect... every single detail"

Esta came round into my vision, nodding. "It doesn't make any sense, this place is pure, untouched: what's going on here?"

And then I felt it in my gut. The feeling of perfection; content. Life wasn't that, life wasn't this. I reached into my pocket and took out the can of black spray paint. A flash of concern crossed Esta's face. I set down my laptop, then drew my knife from the other hand.

"Wh-what are you doing?!' she screamed as I stalked towards the shrubs. "You can't just destroy nature!"

"Nature is natural: this is anything but" I snarled, before ripping my blade through the canopy of the closest plants. Esta gasped, and I let loose a stream of spray paint at the ground, quickly writing: Life is not flawless!

Then the vigor left me at the curb, and I was left standing there with Esta in the world's most awkward silence. I turned towards her " I don't know what's going on here, but I opposed the government back home, and I'm sure as hell gonna oppose them here. With me, or with them?" My frank words cut through the air, and hung their in wait for her response.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 pm
Betheny says...

Esta | Opposed

"What are you doing?!" I shouted, "You can't just destroy nature!"
"Nature is natural: this is anything but" he snarled, before ripping his blade through the canopy of the closest plants. I gasped, while he let loose a stream of spray paint at the ground, quickly writing: Life is not flawless! Then I realised. Just as I had before, nature isn't flawess, just as he had written. Still this silence between us was overly awkward. He turned to me, blunt words cutting through the air almost resonating. "I don't know what's going on here, but I opposed the government back home, and I'm sure as hell gonna oppose them here. With me, or with them?"
"With you. Back home the government did nothing for my family, nor am I here on my own terms." I whispered into the empty space around us.
"Good, I didn't want you against me," He smiled then frowned as he saw my own furrowed brow, "What's wrong?"
"I remember, when I was a kid, seeing this program about the code of nature or something along those lines... If you put that code into a computer and told it to grow a tree, say, the tree would be perfect. Although it wouldd be symetrical... This might be my being paranoid but, this might be a computer simulation. Only reason that everything isn't symetrical could be that someone messed with it..." The idea seemed to ridiculous to be true, and the look on Colm's face only proved that it was. "Nevermind... See you 'round Colm" I started to walk away but stopped and turned back. The look on my face was as surely pathetic as my voice was, "Can I stay with you for a while?"
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm
Sapi says...

Alice: Opposed

I sat there, listening to my ipod, for maybe half an hour. Nobody talked to me; I don't think anybody even noticed I was there. I was at the back of the group of people, near where the jet had been, which was also close to the edge of the forest. To tell the truth, I was terrified, but I didn't show it.

Then, a teen walked towards me, looking uncomfortable among the pack of lost people, and seemingly headed for the woods. I ignored her, but she spoke to me, sounding surprised to see me there.

"Whoah! Oh, hello. Ummm...I'm Andea." She attempted a wan smile, but it ended up as more of a grimace. She extended a hand. "Nice to meet you. What's your name?"

"Alice..." I replied, trying to look like I was glad to meet her too. Really, I was just annoyed at being disturbed from my music. I stood up, though,unplugged myself, and shook the pale hand before me.
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:45 pm
Camulaeus says...

Colm | With Esta at the forest edge

Interesting: her recollection was superb: and the the theory was just outlandish enough to be viable. I decided right then and there that Esta was worth collaboration, not manipulation.

Too see her leave left something.. empty in me. It'd be embarrassing to say how glad I really was when she turned back around. 'Can I stay with you a while?"

I quickly calculate my approach: flirty or frank? Before I do something totally out of character. "Of course you can!" I blurted out. I quickly compose myself: now was definitely not the time to go all googly-eyed over a girl.

She smiled and then looked around. I decided on being frank. "The government said this was an experiment, and in every experiment the most important element is data collection. Once we find out how their collecting the information, we can find out what the information is. But to do that we need more people on our side;any ideas?'
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

28 Reviews

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:02 pm
View Likes
Betheny says...

Esta | Opposed

I almost sighed out loud when he say that I could stay with him.
"The government said this was an experiment, and in every experiment the most important element is data collection. Once we find out how their collecting the information, we can find out what the information is. But to do that we need more people on our side; any ideas?" He looked so mature as he thought, slightly tilting his head to one side. The forest cast handsom shadows across his face. Snap out of it Esta! now was not the time to get sidetracked.
"There might be oth- Oh. Hello." I stopped midsentence when I saw a wolf like creature step through the underbush.
"Here be-!"
"Shhh!" I hissed, I didn't want this creature scaring away, it was too cute. I felt around in my satchel for a dog biscuit, I still had a few left from when Lupus was still alive. Carefully I coaxed the animal over.
"What's stopping that animal from being carniverous? Hm?!" Whispered Colm
"Absolutly nothing" I replied, "But look at the shape of it's jaw, it dosen't suggest carniverous..." The furry animal brushed up against my legs much like a cat.
"You're not keeping it." He said much more confidently than before.
"Oh, I think you'll find I am." I said definantly, "Anyway, as I was saying before hand: There might be others who share our views, there has to be. In every comunity there are those who are 'anarchists', and it can't be just us." Scratching the thing's head was oddly comforting.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 pm
LadySpark says...

Andea/Opposed
I started walking, not content with just sitting there. None of these people seemed to realize what danger we were in. We could be dead in a matter of days, and they were running around, making friends. Well, kudos to them, but I didn't really want that to happen.

I start walking towards the edge of the clearing, and I hear footsteps behind me. A guy, who had dark hair cut messily was following me. "It was a bit hot in there, wasn't it?" he said, flashing a smile.

My heart seemed to stop.

Boy, was he pretty.

"A bit," I said, pretending not to notice as he followed me.
He grinned, looking for a moment like the Cheshire cat, then stopped himself. His eyes narrowed, and he looked me up and down.
"It's almost dark. Do we need to make some kind of camp?"
I raise my eyebrows. The thought hadn't even occurred to me. "Yeah, that would be a good idea..."
He nods.
"But first," I say, "What did you bring?"
"Nothing really useful. My Grandpa's watch, my parents wedding rings and a compass. How about you?" he looks at me with curiosity.
"Absolutely nothing that could help us. A Robert Frost poetry book, my favorite book the outsiders and a solar powered MP3 so that I can have my music. I spent a lot of money on it, and then downloaded almost all the music off a music sharing website, plus some audio books. 200 gigabits of storage, full to the brim."
"you must really like music."
"I do."
"Well then, looks like all we got are our hands," he says, grinning.
I nod, and we begin to look around for something useful...

Brance/Togethers
Ah, that's a pretty flower.
I walk, my back pack swung over my shoulder, looking for a tree to make roost in. I would, of course be sleeping in a tree. There's a good one. I begin climbing, swinging myself up, till I reach a large, strong branch. I set my backpack, with clothes and my three belongings down on the crook, then slither down.
Some people have been watching, and seem to be impressed on how quickly I did that.
Yes, well, some of us have talents.

I can feel the tension in the air, floating along, and I know that it's not going to be long before someone blows up from stress. Wouldn't that be something to see? But I don't think it'd sit well with the rest of us. Nothing like someone blowing up to make people lose their lunch in the bushes.
I walk to the center, and pick up some stray sticks. "Anyone know how to make a fire?"
They all look at me, surprised.
"I suppose that's a no. Well, one of us should learn fast, cause, I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to freeze to death."
Some people smile, but others look scandalized. Great.
I look around and smile really big. "Any takers?... No? Well, then I suppose it's up to me. If I catch on fire, someone do me the favor of splashing me with water before the burns get too bad."
There. Some more smiles, but more people are looking around, as if trying to find an escape route...

Sorry it took me forever to post!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 am
tgirly says...

Chance: Togethers:
I watch the boy start to make the fire, too surprised to offer. Finally, I find my voice.
"You're doing it wrong," I say.
"Really?" he says, "Do you know anything about fires?"
"Do you know anything about talking?" I say hesitantly, not sure if it'll be appreciated. He smiles at me encouragingly and I smile back. With everyone watching us, this guy and I start making a circle of rocks for the fire. After that, I get to work. I wait for someone to tell me I'm too young to be playing with fire, like someone would back home, but nobody does. I'm not home any more. I'll never be home again.
Brance babbles the whole time, he's real funny. He would've liked my brother.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

374 Reviews

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:20 pm
tgirly says...

I watch the boy start to make the fire, too surprised to offer to help. Finally, I find my voice.
"You're doing it wrong," I say.
"Really?" he says, "Do you know anything about fires?"
"Do you know anything about talking?" I say hesitantly, not sure if it will be appreciated. He smiles at me encouragingly and I smile back. With everyone watching us, this guy and I start making a circle of rocks for the fire. After that, I get to work. I wait for someone to tell me I'm too young to be playing with fire, like someone would back home, but nobody does. I'm not home any more. I'll never be home again.
Brance babbles the whole time, he's real funny. I wonder if he would've liked my brother. My brother used to be a lot like Brance, fun-loving and always joking. After my mother died, he was always in a bad mood and never wanted to talk to me. He always said I was a being a tagalong and to keep my nose out of his business. I miss him.
Once I got the fire going pretty well, Brance starts singing some funny song I've never heard before. By the time he's done, he's got almost everyone near tears from laughing.
"What do we do now that we've got the fire going?" I ask Brance.
"Probably make a shelter," he says, "Or figure out how to get some food. Know anything about those things?" he asks me.
"No," I say. I have no clue how to do either of those things. A few other people have started stepping up and helping. They begin to debate on the best way to make a shelter and the best place to put it.
A girl and a boy I noticed on the ride over step out of the woods, the girl holding a... animal... thing. I take a step away from it, wondering if it's dangerous. It doesn't seem to be, though. The girl isn't scared of it.
"We need to talk," the guy says. Some people continue to swap ideas on how to make the shelter, but some people glance at him, ready to listen.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

28 Reviews

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:02 pm
Betheny says...

Esta | Opposed

Holding the creature in my arms we walked back to the group. We found everybody huddled around a bright and raging fire, as soon as we were there Colm broke away to talk with others. I turned to see a young boy looking nevously at the animal sleeping curled up against my chest. Walking over to him trying a smile on my face I sat next to him.
"Hi there, you alright?" He seemed to recoil at my presence, or the animal's. Shyly he nodded. "Wanna hold him, or her? I'm not too sure yet..."
"No," the response was a little too quick, but he didn't sound like he was being rude, "It looks a bit wierd."
"Does it? I thought that it looks like a mini wolf," I let out an audiable sigh when I saw the others trying to make shelter. The young boy raised his eyebrows at me.
"Oh, not you. Them," I said jerking my chin towards the group. "I think they might need some help." Carefully putting the animal down, I looked at the boy. "Mind looking after it for me?" I tried making myself seem as nice as possible but when he gave no answer to speak of I shrugged and walked towards the group. I found the guy who appeared to be in charge of the failing constuct of shelter. Silently I stood for a while watching the calamity take place.
"Want some help?" I called over to him. He stopped, arms raised holding up a tree branch. He looked like he wasn't well suited for this, but his tonned bodies suggested other wise.

374 Reviews

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:56 am
tgirly says...

I stared at the mini-wolf-thing and wondered what I was supposed to do with it. It had woken up when the girl set it down and was now stretching, kind of like a cat would. It let out what seemed like a yawn. I reached out a hand and held it a few inches away from it. It sniffed my fingers, which I couldn't seem to hold straight with it so near, and licked the palm of my hand. It tickled. I smiled at the thing and slowly moved my other hand to scratch its triangular, grey-brown ears. It liked that. It crawled into my lap.
Still scratching its ear, I looked up to see the girl offering to help Brance make the shelter. She seemed to know what she was doing. At least, she seemed to know more about it than Brance. She took the tree branch from him, and seemed to be lecturing him on the correct way to make a shelter.
I look over to where the guy is talking in the small group. Some people are shaking their heads, looking slightly frightened, but others look mad and slightly confused. His voice is rising, and I can almost make out what he's saying, but not quite.
The wolflike creature whines for my attention. It's sniffing the scar on my face. It whines again and starts licking my scar. I gently push it away, my fingers shaking, my eyes watering a little bit. The wolf-thing settles back into my lap and I start absent-mindedly scratching its ears again, staring into the depths of the fire, trying not to remember. Trying to forget...
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour