z

Young Writers Society

An Empire Divided *Started - still accepting!*

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 pm
MilkNCookies says...

wait i'm in, right?
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

49 Reviews

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:36 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Fox wrote:Sorry I've been gone so long. I've been really busy. Can someone tell me what's going on??? :smt100

let's see if I can be more precise at all.

Sirian and Esyrn have possible found a tunnel leading from the city; the PeaceKeepers are becoming very active, which is bugging Mariana; she's underground now, and I just bumped into her. Tarragon just talked about the rebellion and his suspicions. I think that's about it.

Sorry for double posting!!!
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 pm
Fox says...

Thanks, but somehow that doesn't help much. Does anyone know what's going on???
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:14 am
kidashka says...

@DWF: ty for posting so quickly! ...But (i'm not sure if this was made clear) neither the princess or anyone around her are supposed to be aware of her bloodline..... ie. she's a peasant. Cleo could still be hanging around with her as long as there is a kind of valid reason for him knowing her, though :) (PM me if you'd like any help for reasons)
((...this problem has arose because I changed the application process after we started, sorry for any confusions :? ))

@Fox:
Spoiler! :
Esryn was drawn to the clanging sound of metal-on-metal from the next chamber. He peered inside to see Cerin sparring with one of the newer recruits. Esryn remembered the girl's name as Minjonet. He watched their battle with interest. Minjonet certainly had talent beyond what was usual for such a young girl. She blocked Cerin's advanced with fluid movements that marked someone who had already undergone years of training.

In the end, however, Cerin had endurance that a young girl like Minjonet couldn't hope to counter. Panting, she dropped her sword in surrender. Cerin gave her a grim smile before turning to Esryn. Esryn's face broke into a good-natured grin.

"Woe to any that stand in your paths," Esryn chuckled, his hand resting on the hilt of his own sword. Cerin eyed Esryn's motion.

"You want to have a go?" he asked gruffly. Esryn snorted.

"After that display?" he replied, shaking his head. "Besides, I have something much more interesting in mind for you two."

Minjonet looked up at Esryn curiously. Cerin stared met Esryn's gaze; Esryn saw the a Cerin's eyes twinkle with the prospect of adventure. "Sirian's scouts have found a caved-in tunnel that might be our ticket out of the city. Sirian wants a scouting party to look at the cave-in in more detail, see if it can be cleared. I thought you two might be up for a bit of fun. Care to join me?"

That should be all you need to know :)

@Phantom: i'm sorry, i will post very soon :(

From now on, if anyone has a problem/suggestion or is confused, please send me a PM or put it in the DT so we don't clog up this thread. :smt003
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:49 pm
Fox says...

Thanks kidashka, although I'm still not quite sure what's going on. I guess I can just work with this. If I do something wrong, just tell me.

Minjonet

"Care to join me?" Esryn asked. Cerin and I exchanged looks. I looked back at Esryn, a smug grin on my face, and nodded in response to his question. He looked at Cerin, who also nodded.

"Alright, let's get going." I said. I was set on this, and I didn't want to wait.

"Hold your horses there cowgirl." Esryn said. I rolled my eyes. "We still have things to sort out." I huffed. Waiting was not something I enjoyed doing. He chuckled at my impatience. I glared back, but with a smile on my face.

"Well hurry it up, will ya? I've got other things to do." I said.

"Like what?" he asked with a chuckle.

"None of your business." I said with a grin, then walked off towards the training room.

((I know it's short, but I couldn't think of much. They'll get better as I get more into this.))
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

49 Reviews

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:15 pm
MilkNCookies says...

sorry! hm... I'll change it a bit.

I wandered down the tunnels, with no rhyme or reason. A pair of resistance members scuttled by, headed down a certain path. Should I follow? Nah. Esryn would get them, if they weren't supposed to be down here. Still, I looked back, and saw the glint of uniforms. PeaceKeepers? Down here? A bit to weird for me. I stalked the, until we reached a dead end.

"Hello there, may you tell me why someone of as high standards as you guards are down in the tunnels?" I asked innocently.

"That depends. Are you for the empire?" One, a girl, asked. I pretended to become offended.

"No man is vain enough to say. And besides, it has put food on my plate and wine in my glass. Others must see things in it I don't."

"Well, kind citizen, why are you in the tunnels?"

"Times are harsh. The crops are scarce and far between. I was hoping to bag some rats down here, but there are none. Instead, I find footprints of others who have tried to do the same,"

"Well, we've heard word of a resistance forming down here, and we were sent to scout." They knew about it!

"A resistance! Who would do that?! Is there anyone that I should be aware of?"

"There are two, to be exact, that we have evidence of. One, his name is Arrsen. he has a small dagger that is always with him. his hair is brown and short. the other, Sisliee, has the same hair and a possibly hard-looking face. Report anything you see to the empire, kind sir." He started to leave, with his partner behind him, so I slib my blades through their necks. Once they were sheathed, I quickly ran to find someone, anyone. Whizzing hrough the tunnels, I stumbled upon Erysen.

"Thank god it's you. Two peacekeepers were walking around the tunnel. They know of us. They also know of you and Sirian, but they have the names wrong. I slew them." I waited for one of the scout group's replies.

~Dr.Seuss.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:08 am
Fox says...

"Thank god it's you. Two peacekeepers were walking around the tunnel. They know of us. They also know of you and Sirian, but they have the names wrong. I slew them." Cleo ((I think that's your character. You didn't put it in your last post)) said.

"But how is that possible?" I asked, annoyed, my accent echoing through the tunnel. This didn't make any sense.

"Esryn, do you think that could mean the whole empire knows about us?" Cleo asked.

"I'm not sure." Esryn said.

"How could they have found out?" he countered again.

"I'm not sure." I could tell Esryn was beginning to get a bit annoyed.

"What should we do about it?"

"SHUT UP!" I shouted at Cleo. He put his head down, embarrassed. Esryn calmed down a bit before replying.

"Let's go back and warn the others." he said. "Minjonet, you, Cleo, and Cerin get everyone together, then you two," he pointed to Cerin and me, "meet me in Sirian's tent." We all nodded, and started off. I was a bit annoyed that we didn't get to go exploring, but I understood that this was really important, so I would do as I was told.

((Sorry it's not that good. I'm still trying to get into it.))
Last edited by Fox on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

49 Reviews

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:47 am
MilkNCookies says...

(yeah, sorry I'm cloe)

"I'm sorry, alright! This is the first place in my life that I've ever felt at home, and I'll protect it with my life!" I yelled, as the girl grabbed my wrist.
"it makes no sense... how could they figure it out? We've hidden everything..." She pondered.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out! It has to be a traitor in our mist, but who?"I asked, as I was towed by the beautiful girl.

"Just come on!" She hissed.

"You could certainly be a lot nicer!" I replied in a huff. "You don't even know me!"

"What's your name?" She asked, her voice strained with fear.

"Cleo. You?"

"Minjoet.There, we know each other. Happy?" Minjonet asked.

"What scares me the most is that they had our emblems on." True, they were wearing the scarlet necklace coated with crimson and lavender.
"Minjoet... that was my aunt's name. And she was killed." I inspected my captor a bit. She was distinctly 17, no less and no older; her hair rolled to her chest(and my, what a chest!). Her eyes were a captivating and challenging, though they hosted no distinct color.
"You... hurting. Inside. what's wrong with you?" I asked not unkindly. I had no idea where she was towing me, as she twisted through the labyrinth called the resistance.

~Dr.Seuss.

33 Reviews

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 pm
kidashka says...

I'm very sorry to everyone about this slow reply; I've been up to my ears in coursework and had a complete blank as to what to write. Hopefully this will suffice. :(

Rea - PeaceKeeper & Resistance

An awkward silence descended for the next few minutes as Rea internally went through the usual panic that occured whenever anone mentioned the Resistance to her. He must know. Why else would he be mentioning it so much? He might seem nonchalant, but it would hardly be the first time a PeaceKeeper had investigated another for treason...

Bris appeared to be restless, occassionally glancing at Rea as she avoided his gaze fervently. He knows, she thought again, resisting the need to clench her fists in anxiety and trying to maintain a neutral expression. There's no point arousing any more suspicion than you already have.

"Do you know the time?" she asked after a moment, suddenly remembering something. Something important.

He paused, a thoughtful expression crossing his face. "Well... it was about four o'clock when I first came to town. So, probably about five now?" Rea's expression froze, and Bris raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Have you forgotten to do something?"

Frowning with distress, Rea nodded uncertainly. Five o'clock. Five o'clock was when she was supposed to meet with the Resistance to inform them of any recent news within the PeaceKeepers. As a still fairly untrusted memeber, Rea only knew one entrance, and that was one that required someone from the inside to open. Someone who wouldn't be there except at the time they had agreed to meet. Rea cursed silently under her breath, praying that it wasn't yet five o'clock.

Bris coughed, reminding Rea to give some kind of response. "Oh. Well, yes. I mean, well, not anything important. Not anything at all really. Just ... erm ... I really need to go now."

The young PeaceKeeper nodded, though a slightly confused expression was evident on his face. "See you around, I guess," he said, and Rea smiled back nervously even as she made her way through the crowds to reach the Resistance entrance. I really hope not ...
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."

Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm
Fox says...

Minjonet

He talked on and on until we finally arrived at the camp, hidden in the forest. It wasn't very large, but neither was the Resistance. The three of us walked in silently (thank goodness!) and walked towards the center of the camp. We waited for everyone to assemble before Cerin made the announcement.

"People of the Resistance!" He called. All the murmuring stopped immediately, and every eye was on him. "We are all in grave danger. The Empire has found out about us." Gasps filled the crowd, and the whispers started again.

Things like, "How is this possible?!" and, "What should we do?" stood out amongst all the murmurs. Cerin raised his hands for silence.

"Do not worry!" Ya right, like people weren't going to worry. "Get your things together. We're going to find a new place to camp. The people didn't waste any time before getting their stuff together. Cerin and I started off for Sirian's tent.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:33 pm
phantom of the potter says...

**Bump! I'm going to try and revive this. Fox, the Resistance is HQed in a labyrinth of tunnels under Neldor, not in a forest. I'll just assume that is what you meant.

Esryn - Resistance Second-In-Command

Esryn made his way quickly into the Heart, where Sirian was still looking at his maps. Sirian glanced over his shoulder. "Back so soon?" he asked. "Did you learn - "

"Sirian," said Esryn quickly. "One of our scouts caught two Peacekeepers wandering down in the far tunnels, apparently looking for us."

"What?" asked Sirian sharply, standing up.

"They knew us by name," continued Esryn. "Our scout slew them, otherwise I'd be in questioning them. We don't know if it was by chance they found their way into the tunnels, or if it is a coordinated effort."

Sirian swore. "I'd heard reports that the Peacekeepers are bringing in a new general, too. I wonder if this isn't his first attack."

Esryn was silent for a moment, watching Sirian pace before the fire. "Do you think we need to consider relocation?"

"To where?" snapped Sirian. "No. We aren't going anywhere. Double the patrols and guard posts. I want to know immediately if any more Peacekeepers get down here."

Esryn looked around the room in time to see Cerin and Minjonet sliding into the Heart. Cerin locked eyes with Esryn, who nodded. Cerin moved out of the room. Esryn could hear him assigning new guard posts outside.

"What of our girl inside the Peacekeepers?" Esryn said quickly. "Has she said anything about this?" Sirian stared at Esryn.

"She'd still be giving her report," said Sirian. "If we hurry, we can catch her for questioning ourselves."

"Let's move."

Bris - Peacekeepers

Bris was watching the vendors start to close down their shops for the day as the sun began to set. He yawned widely. Bris thought he might pop by the tavern for something warm befor going home for the night. Maybe talk to that barkeeper's attractive young daughter... Then it would be sleep and nothing but sleep for Bris.

"Sleeping on duty?" came a cold voice from behind him. Bris jumped and spun around. He eyed the man behind him, taking note of his general's-standard helmet and armor.

"Evening, General," said Bris slowly, not taking his eyes off the man. "Not sleeping, sir. Resting. It's a lot of work, being a street patroller."

The man did not seem impressed. "Do you know who I am?"

Bris blinked and raised an eyebrow. "Important, sir?"

A muscle twitched in the man's face. He scowled. "Yes. Important. And you would do well to, in the future, not answer me so flippantly." Bris licked his lips, but held his tongue.

"For your information, boy, I am General Tarragon. The Emporer sent me here personally to take the reins in fighting Neldor's little rebellion. I intend to do so."

"Good for you, sir. Though, if you ask me, there isn't much point."

"Not much point?" asked Tarragon delicately, dangerously.

"No, sir."

"I think it has quite a lot of point, boy. What is your name?"

"Bristan, sir."

"How long have you been a Peacekeeper?"

"A few years. Why all the questions, sir?"

Tarragon smiled. "I am conducting the first of my inquires into corruption within our order. You, Bristan, have a reputation for being lax in your duties and flippant with the ways of the law. All the marks of being a Resistance scum."

Bris's eyes flickered from Tarragon to a group of Peacekeeper captains that he had just noticed were standing behind Tarragon, observing. Bris's mouth went very dry. He licked his lips again.

"Is - Is this a trial, sir?"

Tarragon gave him a hard smile. "You are not helping your case, Bristan."
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

33 Reviews

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 pm
kidashka says...

:smt003

~Sirian~
Esryn and I made our way through the tunnels purposefully, headed for the room in which reports were always given. The room was hidden far from the Heart, in one of the most dangerous areas of the labyrinth - few people could navigate this part of the Resistance without the help of a map.

"Do you think she's been giving them information?" I asked briefly, sending a quick glance Esryn's way. He hesitated, then shrugged.

"I've never come into contact with her." Esryn answered shortly, expression unreadable. "We're here."

~Rea~
I'd arrived on time. As usual, I was led through the tunnels blindfolded, the endless twisting and turning impossible to memorise. Still, I hoped that eventually their trust of me would increase so that I'd finally be permitted to walk through here without fabric over my eyes.

Eventually we arrived at the familiar room - the only place inside the Resistance that I'd ever seen. The same worn table and chairs as the only furniture, and the same man leading me to the seat. I'd barely got my thoughts in order when there came a knock on the door.

I looked around in surprise. That had never happened before ... for all I knew this one man was the entirety of the Resistance. He seemed to be just as taken aback, getting up with an expression of confusion and opening the door slightly, just closed enough so that I wasn't able to see who was there. I sighed again, turning back.

The sound of mumbling and whispering surrounded me, too quiet to understand but loud enough to be frustrating. After some time, I heard the door close again, and waited for the man to return.

Instead, two men I'd never seen came back in his place. I blinked in confusion, looking from one to the other. "Where's ..." I hesitated, not knowing his name. " ... the other-"

"He's gone." I was cut off by the older of the two. "We'll be taking your report today."

I nodded silently, unsure what to make of this.

"Two PeaceKeepers were found in Resistance tunnels earlier today."

My eyes widened as I heard this statement, and I stared at the table uncertainly. The man continued. "Have you heard anything about this? How did they get in?"

I glanced up, surprised by the suddenly accusatory tone in his voice. "I haven't told anyone." I replied defensively, brow furrowed with a mixture of anger and confusion.

The younger man narrowed his eyes. "That isn't what we asked," he said dangerously.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx