z

Young Writers Society

The Emperor's City *Permission Only* (Dead)

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 am
sylverdawn says...

*Technically Niton would be Rav's uncle wouldn't he?*

Ravel/Seghed:

With dawn fast approaching the trio quickly wound their way through the poorer sections of the city at the edge of the forest. Seghed seemed to mull over Rav's question for a while. "Basically the same as you. People are trying to force her to do something just because she has a special ability."

Rav didn't exactly agree with that, he never did anything he didn't want to do. "Well, unless Father ordered me." He thought wryly.

Eventually the group reached the area around the abandoned smith's shop. After Rav explained the only way in was over the roofs, the two boys climbed swiftly up the building. Seg leaned down and lifted Shawnee up easily, for a scrawny guy he was pretty strong. As they made there way down into the overgrown yard Rav winced at the scrapes he had picked up tonight. Things were always harder when he didn't have magic, it was like he was half blind.

While Shawnee and Seghed explored the area Rav rolled out his sleeping mat and tossed another one across the room. Seg caught it easily before it smacked him in the face. Lying on his back, Rav could only hope that he hadn't missed anything important in his disoriented state. His powers couldn't regenerate soon enough, he thought as he drifted off to sleep.

Seg glanced over and saw by Rav's even breathing that the elf was already asleep. The two friends had long ago mastered the art of sleeping anwhere and anytime. He glanced over at Shawnee and figured he should explain about Rav, better if she knew the whole story then just bits and pieces. Only high ranking people knew about the Asraadi, they had been largely erased from history over the years. Seg just hoped she didn't bolt.

They spread a blanket down on the dusty wooden floor and started telling her about the Asraad. How in ancient times they had been protectors, but one day something drove them to madness. "Since those days it's become a crime for an Asraad to so much as breathe." Seg told her Shawnee's eyes were wide as she listened. "As a result people have constantly hunted Rav. Either to kill him or use him for their own purposes. He's never had a home or a real family. He doesn't let himself get attached to anyone for fear of putting them in danger."

"He's friends with you." Shawnee pointed out, she glanced from the sleeping elf to Seg as if she were trying to figure out how they could be so close.

Seghed grinned cheekily. "It's hard not to love me. Honestly though I've known Rav since we were children. Long before he started to shut everyone out."

Shawnee gazed at him, her blue eyes large and dark in the light of predawn. "He's that friend you were talking about. The one you're trying to protect."

Blushing Seg grinned at her. "Yeah, Rav needs a babysitter. He puts himself in danger way to often."

Giggling Shawnee wrapped the blanket around herself and curled up in the corner. While Seg lay on the floor nearby.

*This is an opening for anyone who's followed them.*
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:35 am
Kelcia says...

Jarelle | Sanura's Room

“I see you’re upset with me,” Said Jarelle tiredly. Many, many of his children had said similar things before. He understood it. But it still made his chest ache.

“And rightly so. I am far from perfect. I’ll be the first to admit it. And I admire the work you have put into the craft. It is because of healers like you we ever advance at all. But do not talk to me about what you do not understand. Pain and suffering? You know nothing of it.” His expression was suddenly so old. Like a thousand years had passed - Which they had. He passed a hand over his eyes.

“Remember how old the Earth is. Then remember how much older I am. Do you think that, in all those countless years, I’ve never suffered? After being called a heartless bastard by my children, I’ve never experienced pain? Never done whatever I can, whenever I can, and never worked hard? Never, after taking on the pain of entities ripped to shreds, experienced any discomfort?” His tone was full of an ancient sadness.

Niton was scowling. “That’s beside the point.”

“You’re right.” Jarelle let out a tired chuckle. “The point is that you can do what you like. But I shall never understand how you can stand there, watching someone suffer, and not think to take away the pain.” He glanced back at Sanura, who was watching with interest. “If there’s one thing to be said for my ‘ancient mumbo-jumbo’, it does work fast.”
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 pm
ScarlettFire says...

((That would be correct, Sylver.))

Sanura | Room; Palace - Lyall:

I watched Niton rant at the god and Jarelle just stood there and took it. It made me furious. Why? Why was he doing that? Niton's hands turned into fists at his side. Jarelle was jsut gazing at him cooly. Wait a minute.... "Where am I?" My question broke the spell of bittersweet-anger Jarelle and Niton had been under. Jarelle turned back to me, smiling slightly.

"You are in Lyall, Sanura. This is the Emperor's City."

((Sorry about it being so short. I was waiting on someone to reply to the General. *eyes Skorpionne* You need to post...))
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:23 pm
Theodorable says...

Elphame

When she had faded back into the foliage of the forest, she had planned to grab Shawnee and make her way back to finish her assignment, but now that she was traveling with her brother and the human there was no way to grab her without a fight. So she followed them silently and quickly. She was never more than a couple of feet behind them, either in the trees or in the underbrush.

When they had traveled into the slums near the smith shop, Elphame was more than puzzled. Where could they be going?

When she saw them climbing up the building she spied the area where they were going to rest. She climbed up a tree and sat on a thick branch, contemplating her options. She could wait a couple of hours and take Shawnee from them, or she could stay with them and watch over her brother with the excuse of trying to track Shawnee.

There was another option, but Elphame could never allow herself to do that. It would go against everything she had built for herself. Well, I have a couple more hours before I need to decide what to do.

Letting out a big sigh, she fell to the ground and made her way up the building and into the yard. She immediately spied her brother, his sleeping form looked so peaceful. She stepped over to him and bent down, What would have happened if our parents had killed you?

She started to reach her hand out to touch his cheek, but drew back and looked up over to Shawnee. She was in a similar situation, but Elphame had to opportunity the stay neutral. She should have the same chance as I do.

Knowing what her decision was, Elphame stood and went to a corner and sat down, she cradled her knees to her chest and let herself fall into a deep sleep.

*Hopefully Elphame wont wake to an empty room.*
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

66 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:11 am
SisterItaly says...

Shawnee

Sleep was not coming easily. I would fade off then wake up again just as quickly. I'd save a good five minutes between each state. I'd fall asleep, roll over and wake up. This time, I had woken up to find I had rolled beside Seg and he had wrapped his arm around me.

Even though no one was awake to see it, I was blushing.

I lifted his arm carefully and rolled back over to my spot. Just as I rolled over to keep my back to him I saw her. The tracker. A million questions ran through my mine, not one of them stayed long enough for me to answer. How had she found us? How long had she been there? what was she going to do? How much had she seen?

What happened next happened so fast.

I scrambled next to Seg, screaming my little head off. As soon as he had snapped up I hid behind him and weeped. He looked over, saw her and instantly tensed up. I continued to beg him in a mumble to protect me, not let her get me. I was too afraid of what would happen if she brought me in.

Rav had shot up in the mean time as well. First he looked to Seg and I. He was fully alert and ready for action. Then he saw the tracker and relaxed somewhat. She wouldn't be much of a match for the two of them, but for me? It was like asking a mouse to fight off a cat.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

66 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:53 am
sylverdawn says...

Ravel/Seghed:

As soon as he had closed his eyes, Rav had drifted into the sleep brought on by bone deep exhaustion. The only reason he woke at all when Shawnee screamed was from years of habit. Rav was used to people sneaking up on him in the dark. In the light of early dawn Rav shot to his feet in a disoriented blur. Sword and dagger drawn before he could register the threat. "Where's the fire?" He thought blearily. Blinking sleep from his eyes he spotted the elf on the other side of the room. She was just waking up herself.

Rav relaxed slightly, one elf wasn't much of a threat. Then he stiffened anew, remembering that his magic wasn't up to speed just yet. He had gotten a few hours of sleep so he might be able to call a breeze or a spark of lightning or fire, but that was about it. Which meant just about anyone was a threat to him.

Seg stood protectively in front of Shawnee, Rav noted with amusement. The older man had known her all of a day and he was already sunk.

Noting the amused smirk on Rav's face Seghed scowled and flushed. Somehow managing to look both irritated and embarassed at the same time. For some strange reason when Rav saw the budding couple, Isolde's face popped into his mind. Why couldn't he stop thinking about the Princess?

The elven Tracker woke up more slowly than the rest of them. Unlike the trio of outlaws she was used to being the hunter, not the hunted. Suspiciously Rav wondered why the elf had chosen to stay in the room, instead of just slitting his throat when he was asleep.

Rav suspected everyone around him of something. Seghed often teased him for the habit, calling him paranoid. But as Rav had told him before. "It's not paranoia if they really are trying to kill you."

Without his magic he was at a disadvantage in a fight with another elf. Even if the odds were two, or three Rav amended thinking Shawnee was the type to fight back if backed into a corner, to one.

*I can't think how to get this conversation going, help!*

novel.php?id=1157

78 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 am
Theodorable says...

Elphame

When Elphame heard the high piercing scream split the air she slowly opened her eyes. Everything came back to her, following the three of them here, and almost giving herself away.

She lifted her head and looked at them. Her brother had his sword and his knife ready, while the human was shielding Shawnee. Elphame smirked, Like they could best me.

Her brother must have mistaken her smirk for something else because all of a sudden he rushed her and had her leaning back away from the knife that was at her throat. She let out a small laugh, and then sighed.

The tip of the blade pressed against her skin, "What is so funny tracker?"

Elphame couldn't turn her head to stare into his fire eyes, but she glanced his way and said, "Because I am not here to attack you."

"But what about me?" Shawnee's voice came out from behind the human.

Elpahame directed her gaze toward the girl, "I no longer am tracking you."

"Why is it that I don't believe you?" Her brother snapped out.

Elphame did turn her head this time, slightly grazing her skin against the blade. Her eyes locked onto his and her tone was serious. "Because there is no reason for me to hurt you."

"And what reason would that be?"

"You're my brother."

66 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 am
sylverdawn says...

*Barely awake need sleep, this will be a quick post.*

Ravel/Seghed:

"I don't have a family." There was absolute conviction in Rav's voice, it was simply a statement of fact he had grown up with. His family had tried to kill him as an infant, and Niran had taken him away. They had died shortly after that. Rav was no fool, he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Niran had probably had them killed.

Despite this he couldn't help examing the girls face, searching for a resemblence. Her hair was a long fiery auburn compared to his ink black color. There eyes were a different color naturally, hers were the color of the southern seas. But she was tall and pale like him, and there was a similarity in the line of the jaw and the shape of the eyes. Enough to throw Rav off his stride, but he'd be damned before he admitted it.

Across the room he heard Shawnee ask Seg something quietly, and Rav assumed Seghed was trying to explain the tangled knot that was Rav's life. "Little wonder I'm slightly unstable considering the way I grew up." He thought sardonically, nnever taking his eyes off the tracker. His sister maybe? Waiting to see how she'd react to his denial.

*I guess Elphame could know about a birthmark of his, a mark shaped like a crescent moon on his left shoulder blade.*

novel.php?id=1157

78 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm
Theodorable says...

Elphame

Somehow she had known that he wouldn't believe that they were siblings. And for this she pulled out another vague memory. "Alright, if I'm not you're sister, then how would I know about your birthmark on your shoulder."

He shook his head, "Many people can guess that."

"But would they know that it was shaped into a crescent moon?" Elphame hadn't moved since turning her head. She had grazed the blade and now there was a thing line of blood trickling down her pale throat. She wanted to wipe it away, but she didn't want to risk another cut.

She glanced into his eyes again and she saw his reluctance. He wanted to believe her, but it would change everything he had grown up with. "There's no possible way. My family died when I was young."

Elphame couldn't nod to confirm what he knew. "Yes, but I was lucky enough to run and hide within the forest. I was so small they couldn't see me. I heard our parents' and our older brother's screams as they died."

A single tear slid down her cheek at the memory.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:40 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Niton~

Niton rolled his eyes at the girl’s stupid question and refocused on Jarelle.

“I have no time for this,” Niton said turning on his heel and leaving.

He stopped with the door slightly open. “I suppose you think I’m heartless because I can watch a being in pain and knowingly not heal it, but honestly that is life. Things die and wither. People are hurt and people get sick. I unlike you have no right playing god.” With those final words he slammed the door and ran into Alice who stood dutifully outside. If she heard any of the conversation she did not show it on her face.

“It would seem Alice that we must move up our plans.”

“So what are you suggesting?” He could tell she did not approve, but she did not say anything.

Niton started walking and Alice fell in step. “I think it’s about time I paid my brother a visit. I will need you to cover for me while I’m gone.”

She nodded. “I will get the hair dye and your cloak.”

She scurried off down the hall. Niton watched her with lazy eyes. It been a long time since Niton had left the walls of his current home. He wondered how much the outside had changed.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

66 Reviews

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:11 am
CelticaNoir says...

Isolde

Isolde stared at her balcony sleepily, her face scrunched up into a mixture of exhaustion and outright grumpiness. She wasn't stirring towards the bed, though, however.

In fact, she was listening for guards. Last night wasn't pleasant. One of the Captains, November, nearly caught her as she glided into the castle grounds. He was tired and sleepy, but she expected that the pillar of flame near the village had forced him out of whatever bed he was occupying at the moment. (And yes, she didn't have a particularly good opinion of any soldier.) But Isolde wasn't particularly interested in that -

She was particularly interested as to why her father had just placed two guards outside in the hallway.

Had Altair told on her? Did her father receive some report of her frequent excursions out of the castle? Isolde didn't know. But she did know one thing. She had to get out of here.

Yes, they were still there. Yes, they were still pacing. And yes, she had pillows under her bed-covers that appeared as if it was her, sleeping. She didn't particularly care for details anymore. She put on her gray old cloak, put on her slippers, and disappeared out into the night, making sure to pull her hood down a little more than usual.

She had people to hunt.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

66 Reviews

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 am
View Likes
SisterItaly says...

Shawnee

Shawnee clung onto Seg for support as he calmly tried to explain to her what was happening. Even his gentle whisper wasn't calming enough at the moment. She could feel herself trembling in his arms. From what she gathered, Ravel thought his family was dead. The tracker (who had decided to let her be free) was the last remaining blood family he had and he didn't believe her.

Shawnee wanted to help the tracker, she really did. It was in her nature to be helpful, and she often blamed this on her healer's nature. Healers were often naturally helpful people. But Shawnee resisted. Rav was dangerous and more powerful then her even when his powers were limited.

Then she saw that she was bleeding.

"R-Rav stop it!" she yelled as she yanked away from Seg.

Rav didn't look up to the girl, instead he tightened his grip. But that didn't stop her from throwing all her weight into him and knocking him off of her.

"You're going to kill her!" she exclaimed before turning to the tracker.

The Tracker looked up to Shawnee and rubbed her neck. Rav took the moment to recollect himself and Shawnee placed her hand on the Tracker's neck. There was a moment of silence, then Shawnee looked down to the girl to see her healed. Her neck stung a little, as well as her arm where Rav had grabbed the tracker. He must have bruised her.

Seg quickly pulled Shawnee back to him. She didn't dare look up to Rav, in fear that he was upset. She wouldn't blame him, but she couldn't watch the tracker die.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

66 Reviews

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:23 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Isolde

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?"

The entire group looked up at her. Isolde briefly relished the surprised looks on Shawnee and Seghed's faces before turning towards Rav. "Threatening a tracker employed by the royal court? I'm surprised, Prince. I hope you are aware that you have no allies as of current."

He clenched and unclenched his fists as if to control his anger and turned towards her with a full glare. "You really love being annoying, don't you, Lady Isolde?"

"It's what I do best."

*Sorry I couldn't make this any longer.*
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

66 Reviews

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 am
sylverdawn says...

*Sorry I haven't posted in a while I've been sick. I'm still not feeling well so this post will be short.*

Ravel/Seghed

When Isolde smirked at him Rav laughed, it was a harsh broken sound with no real joy in it. Making sure no to take his eyes off Isolde he turned back to the tracker. Shawnee still stood beside her with a mulish expression on her face. Rav knew the signs of fear though and he sighed. "I am really getting tired of people looking at me like a monster." Rav thought.

He cocked his head at the tracker, he didn't even know her name yet. "Let's assume for the sake of argument that I believe you are my sister. Why should I care? After all, my birth family tried to kill me for no other reason then the color of my eyes."

Seg glanced between Shawnee and Rav, for once not sure which friend needed him more. Shawnee seemed so timid but there was a measure of steel in her that wouldn't yield to anyone. On the other hand Rav acted tough but his soul was seared with scars. Of course trying to calm Rav down when he was in pain was always risky. "It's like trying to tame a wounded lion." Seg thought with exasperation.

novel.php?id=1157

78 Reviews

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:49 pm
Theodorable says...

Elphame

This was the one thing that Elphame had feared. It was true that their parents had tried to kill him, but it was to be expected. You couldn't take risks like that and not expect to have consequences. This was the consequence for him living.

"I don't really know why you should care. I am your sister, but I wasn't the one trying to kill you. Our older brother was holding me back." She admitted, there was a faint flush of color on her cheeks. "I had grown fond of you in the short time that you were with us. I was an older sister, it was all that mattered to me at the time."

She looked up into his fire eyes and still she saw no belief in them. There's no way to get through to him.

She carefully moved around, there was no pain now that Shawnee had healed her. She looked to the girl, she may be small, but she possessed a great will and strength that not many had. It impressed Elphame and reinforced her decision not to take her.

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard