Young Writers Society

The Hunger Games

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Mon May 31, 2010 1:35 am
Day says...

Cain:

As I had expected the beginning of the games had been completely brutal. I myself had already killed a few of the unluckier contestants in this beautiful location. After the plate had come up I had followed my plan of heading immediately toward the Cornucopia. As I ran a few of the non-career kids had gotten in my way. Finally after much debate I decided to team up with the other careers at the beginning of the game.

Even with so much bloodshed I doubt a career has died yet. That would be improbable. Striding up to the cornucopia I began searching through the many items looking for a sword or spear of some kind. For a few seconds I wondered why no one had come and attacked me, but then I heard the boy rush. Instantly I turned around jumping sideways while tripping him. Before the boy knew what had happened he had a trident, the closest weapon, in his chest.

Soon things began to settle down, and only a few of the other contestants remained. I had watched from a considerable distance although not hidden. A few contestants in particular that I noticed left in a group although I didn't see who or how many due to the distance. Soon there was only a boy and a girl up at the Cornucopia, and obviously they were aware of me. Deciding that they were careers I took my time walking up to them. As I got closer they turned and looked at me.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm
ridersofdamar says...

James~~

I moved over to one of the large rocks that sprinkled the field and began to work my way over to the river that ran by the cornucopia. It was still fairly warm, so I took off my jacket and my shirt, and my shirt, leaving only the dark tight pants on. Using the mud from the river bank I began to coat my body in a thin layer, using the techniques from the camouflage station in training.

By the time it was dark and the rain had started to fall I was completely camouflaged. I slipped into the river, and using the rocks on the bottom began to pull myself upstream to the spot closest to the cornucopia. Then I waited, watching the careers, waiting for two of them to sleep, and one of them to take watch. Then I would move. I doubt they would hear me, then it was only a matter of snapping her neck and moving on quietly.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:49 am
Bandgeek says...

Boom, a canon shot echoed through the valley I was located at. For a second, I stopped with my head bowed. Someone had just died.

The pouring rain reminded me what I was here for. A cave. There was one up a head, but it looked to small. I peeked in and saw it. My home. It had a smooth dark floor and a tall ceiling. It was perfect.
Oh no! I'm going into the cave. Wha... Call m... Lat... I'm... *Turns phone off* Yes lost them!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:03 pm
Elinor says...

Calina

Callie kept as frozen as possible, waited till she was sure there'd be no more cannons before she headed out of the bush. She had taken the time to examine the supplies she'd received; a hunting knife, two packs of granola and dried fruit, water, bandages and medicine. She'd be set, at least for a while. If not, teaming up with the careers would guarantee to bring her a fair amount of food as well as shelter. Callie didn't want to team up. In her eyes, it was silly since only one person could win. But Callie was teaming with the careers for two reasons, first because of expectations and second because Callie figured she'd get much farther with them then without them.

She finally scrambled out of the book, noticing minor cuts which she paid little mind too. They weren't deterring her in any way, and didn't look like they would draw blood either. Suddenly Callie had an idea. Keeping her knife at bay, she pretended to walk with a limp. Anyone who saw she was 'injured' and therefore weak would be easy prey. With that in mind, she set out to find the careers.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

42 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am
ridersofdamar says...

we should probably try and team up soon.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 am
Elinor says...

That's why I posted what I posted. :P Maybe James could come and find Calina, and then together they could look for the other careers.

-- Walt Disney

126 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:33 am
Day says...

I have no problem continuing, but I seriously think that maybe we should redo this or later remake this because having it be the 2nd quarter Quill is a bit too many people for me to handle. Only a handful of them are controlled by us, but we have to account for another 40 people....

5 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:44 am
Bandgeek says...

I have to agree with Day, there are too many people to control. Even if ten died the first day you still have thirty left. It's just way to many.

I like the idea of the Hunger Games storybook, but it's just a lot of characters to control.
Oh no! I'm going into the cave. Wha... Call m... Lat... I'm... *Turns phone off* Yes lost them!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:05 pm
Elinor says...

Guys, It's not too many characters. If anything it's just giving you more time to be involved in the storybook. You haven't really given it a chance yet. I say we just go ahead with it however if ridersofdamar agrees we *might* be able to change this to the first quarter quell, as that's what I did for my HG storybook way back when.

-- Walt Disney

5 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 pm
Bandgeek says...

Okay, I'll give it a try.

42 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:38 pm
ridersofdamar says...

Elinor is right, I thought having more people might allow us to be involved longer.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I'm fine with the number of people. It keeps the possibilities open, and we don't even have to acknowledge any of them except for their deaths.

On another note: I'll be gone until next Sunday. Cari should be alive for a while (she's the last to die). Just let her disappear off into the mountains for a while. ;)
Got YWS?

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 pm
ultraviolet says...

OK, so, a couple things.

One: for talking about this we really should have a DT. Unless we have on already and I just don't know about it. That way it won't spam up the storybook itself.

Two: are we still going? What did we decide?
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:34 pm
Jas says...

I really want us to continue, it's just that I have finals this week so I can't write till Friday night. I have to study D: I'll probably be able to fit in a couple of good posts but I really won't have time to write much.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

126 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:51 pm
Day says...

jasminebells wrote:I really want us to continue, it's just that I have finals this week so I can't write till Friday night. I have to study D: I'll probably be able to fit in a couple of good posts but I really won't have time to write much.

I also have finals until Thursday which is my last day of school.

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala