z

Young Writers Society

Walls are Falling

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:00 pm
eldEr says...

Ristel

No answer, no shift in expression, no anything, really, save for that stare. At Béyta. There was something unnerving about the look in the woman's eyes, but Ristel wasn't willing to give it any thought. As long as the woman wasn't murderous, all was fine and dandy.

Hopefully.

She had used that... 'I'm lost and need a place to stay' excuse. The one that Ristel had been warned about by a few merchants and many a story. What were the chances that she was actually one of... the sly ones, though? And if she really did need help, he couldn't just leave her out here. But even so, chances were that he was sleeping on the floor tonight as it was, judging by the time and the unrelenting rain. Where would he put yet another woman? It couldn't be good for his repuatation... not that he had much of one, anyways, save for the 'nice guy with one wing.'

He let out a slow breath and stepped aside. "If you really need somewhere to stay, we could probably make room... so long as you don't mind sleeping on a pile of blankets on the floor." Béyta got the bed- she was here first, and as far as Ristel could tell, far more trustworthy. He'd take floor-boards, a satchel for a pillow and his remaining wing for a blanket. On the opposite side of the room.

"It's not lots, but it's something." He rubbed his forehead, massaging the tissues with the tips of his fingers. Ha. They still didn't know his name yet, did they?

"I'm Ristel," he said, loud enough for Béyta to hear. Well, now he just felt stupid.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:55 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Lilura | Inn - Upstairs:

I let his babble wash over me, eyes on the rabbit-who-was-an-elf. Well, now. What would cause her to shift forms like this so swiftly? I considering my knowledge of magic and sorcery for a long moment, tilting my head to one side. She seemed to hiccup right before it happened. I felt myself frown for a split second before it smoothed out into a somewhat blank look. A curse, perhaps? I nodded absently, stepping into the room.

"I'm Ristel," he said loudly, cutting through my thoughts like a sword through flesh. I blinked, shuddered and then focus on him. Then I noticed the headband he wore. Feathers and hair...and I decided not to look any closer. That was...odd. Probably some kind of weird custom. I blinked and shook my head, and then, with a swift gesture, threw back my hood and shook my hair out.

I bow slightly and when I straightened up, I spoke, "Lady Lilura Nazzalin, of the Council of Nine, whose home is the castle of Myrddin, in Curuwen." He stared at me. I had no need for such an elegant and formal introduction, but telling him that I was a Lady couldn't hurt. "As you can probably tell, I am a very long way from home." I brushed a plait of blonde, almost silver-white hair away from my left eye and tucked it behind my ear, turning to the...elf-rabbit on the bed. "I did not realize that any Losthur had escaped Melnar's wrath," I said, addressing her. "It is an honour."

And then the awkward silence descended. Ristel had coughed, sounding more like he had choked on something, when I had mentioned Melnar. I spared him a curious glance. The man looked....somewhat ill. I watched as he turned away before switching my gaze back to the Elf. She just stared back, her little rabbit eyes wider than normal.

I coughed, clearing my throat and turned back to the Ristel. "Thank you for allowing me to stay here for the moment," I murmured, keeping my voice low and soothing. I didn't want to startle him any more than I already had. Well, he had offered for me to stay here....at least for the night. For a very long moment, I waited.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:08 pm
SisterItaly says...

Bay

At that moment I felt a weird mixture of fear and curiosity. Whoever this... Melnar was mustn't have liked elves. Or else I wouldn't have had a reason to have 'escaped his wrath'. I didn't like this sorceress character, not at all. She seemed to be analyzing me, which meant she knew that it wasn't natural for an elf to be turning into a rabbit.

She was getting too close for comfort. So, I began backing up, feeling like a cornered mouse... er- Rabbit. My feet moved of their own accord. The other's sat in an awkward silence. Another foot back, one foot behind the other. My eyes never left her, and her's never left mine.

She had a more... amused gaze now. Ristel looked up and reach for me, but by then it was too late. I realized what Lilura was so amused about. I had run out of mattress to walk on and slipped off the bed. I laid sprawled out on the floor and blew my ear off of my face. I swore I could hear them laughing.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:38 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Lilura | Inn - Ristel's Room:

I watched, feeling amused, as the Elf fell off the bed. I blinked at the sight....and suddenly, I was laughing. And I didn't know why. When did I ever laugh? When was the last time I even laughed anyways? I honestly could not remember, but it felt good. Too good. And I liked it. She made a noise, but I was trying not to laugh and trying to pull myself back under control. I realised, vaguely, that I had lost my composure. When was the last time that had happened?

"I'm sorry," I blurted after a moment, taking a second to compose myself. Then I actually noticed that the noise was hiccuping....and seconds later, there was an elf sprawled out on the floor. She picked herself up, dusted herself off and shot me a glare. It was weak by even my standards (which, by default, were actually Sorcerer standards---and Sorcerers could give some really good glares). I gave her a glare back; if looks could kill. She cringed and ducked her head, and refused to look back up even after I'd wiped the glare from my face. Damn, I probably shouldn't have done that.

384 Reviews

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:59 am
eldEr says...

Trying first person-- might only last for one post. xP

Ristel | His room at the Inn

My laughter died in my throat, along with my amusement. That woman... a Melnarian Sorcress, was standing in my room, glaring at an elf- a very prosecuted race, thanks to the Melnarian Empire. And I was laughing? Of course, it had been a bit amusing...

I swallowed, fingers absently trailing to the feathers strapped around my head, and then to the braided hair. For all I knew, she was the one who had murdered my family. My mother or my wife and daughter, take your pick. My friends, every man and woman that I had fought with in the war, the ones who had died... had she taken part in that? She hadn't seemed at all loyal to Joram... but perhaps she recognized my race. But then, she could've killed me in an instant if she had wanted to...

Eidonias help me. I inched closer to Béyta, almost protectively. Usually, this was when I would force a smile; at the moment, however, there was no such occurance. A Melnarian... my stomach twisted.

"I'll fix something to eat," I stated dryly, hoping that the Elf knew that coolness wasn't directed towards her. "I don't have much, but at least it's something." Without another word, I was making my way towards my small stash of food, wondering how to split two crystal berries (if the Sorcress hadn't recognized my race, would she recognize the food?), a few pieces of dried meat and a bare minimum of Azzian vegetables between three. Particularly when one of us was my size with my appetite.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:48 pm
SisterItaly says...

Bay

"I'm not hungry, thank you." I mumbled quietly. At least there was one upside to this curse, it was easier to fill when in rabbit form, which cut down on how much food was eaten. Though, I probably couldn't have eaten if I wanted to. The worst, most nauseating feeling had rose up in my stomach. Just the thought of eating made me want to be sick.

When that woman had glared at me, the phrase 'If looks could kill' flashed to the front of my brain. Although, I did deserve it. I did glare at her first. Now she was going to be here all night. Suck it up, chimed my mental head voice, Ristel likes her, so she is going to stay. Who said I had to stay, though? And where would you go? You're a small elf, a Neseradian elf at that, who spontaneously turns into a bunny.

Great, now I was fighting with my inner thoughts. With a quiet sigh I leaned against the wall and averted my eyes from the sorceress. It didn't seem she knew of Neserada, or the elves of it. Perhaps that was a good thing on my end, we didn't have a reputation for being intimidating.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm
ScarlettFire says...

I slid my gaze away from the elf to watch Ristel as he scurried off muttering about getting food. Shaking my head, I backed away from the elf and abruptly sat down against the wall near the door. Ristel was digging through a bag on the other side of the room while the elf leaned against the wall by the bed.

With some amusement, I realised that I had absently copied her movements. I had to stop doing that. It was an unconscious thing, something I had no control over. So much for being a Sorceress who was very nearly on the Council of Nine. I blinked when the elf spoke, saying something about not being hungry.

I didn't blame her. I didn't feel all that hungry either. "I'm afraid I have no appetite at the moment." I inclined my head towards Ristel. "Thank you for the offer." In the silence that followed, I wrapped my cloak closer around me and waited, eyes darting between the other two in the room.

384 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:05 pm
eldEr says...

Ristel

That worked surprisingly well for me. I'd just eat their shares for tonight, and actually feel full. I pulled out one of the apple-sized crystal "berries," and a few strips of dried meat before flopping to the floor. On any other night, I would have insisted that they ate something- but I just couldn't bring myself to offer them anything. Particularly not the... Melnarian.

Eidonias help me- I needed a drink. Something strong and preferably enough of it to knock me unconscious. I'd avoid getting violent towards little Béyta... Lilura, on the other hand... I could live with myself if I spouted off a few unkind words to her. I couldn't hurt either of them if I was unconscious; maybe I'd have to pay the tavern downstairs a little visit later tonight. Or tomorrow morning...

I sighed, trying to rid myself of the thoughts. Wasn't this a habbit I was trying to break? And yet, here I was, already going back on it- it hadn't even been that long since my last drink. It hadn't been much of one, granted, but it was still a drink all the same.

I bit off the last of the berry. It hadn't even occurred to me that we had just sat in silence for at least the last ten or fifteen minutes... what was wrong with me today? I pushed myself up, rubbed the bridge of my nose and glanced at Lilura. "I'll make you your bed." It was near impossible to hide the ice in my tone, not that I had tried very hard to.

Within the next three minutes, I had taken a spare blanket from the trunk at the foot of the bed, and the knitted one I had brought from home from the desk, and fashioned them into a bed that at least looked semi-comfortable. The second pillow from the bed was tossed on carelessly, and I stalked back to my corner. "Does anybody need anything else, before I fall asleep?"
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm
SisterItaly says...

Bay

I stared at Ristel, a little worried about how cold he'd gotten. That coldness- was it directed at me? No, it couldn't have been, it only started when the other woman showed up. At the same time it very well could be, after all I did look like a mixture of his dead wife and daughter. Wait- was he sleeping on the floor? That would not do. Not at all.

"Ristel, you can't sleep on the floor. You've been kind enough already, I can't take your bed from you." I said so quietly that is was almost a whisper.

"Nonsense, you're my guest and you were here first. You get the bed." He insisted before flopping down in the corner.

"Ristel, get up here."

"No, Nessa Béyta. I'm fine down here."

I sat back in the bed, throwing on the biggest pouty face I could muster. I've been told this face could make a grown man melt: time to put that to the test. He seemed unmovable, so I through in a sniffle and a fake tear. But, with that irregular intake of air came a hiccup.

And with a hiccup, came a transformation. Looks like I wouldn't need all this bed after all.

The Book.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:00 pm
ScarlettFire says...

I watched with growing amusement as Ristel set about making up a bed for me, then, after asking if we needed anything else, got into an argument with the elf. My gaze switched between him adn the elf for a moment, eyebrows raising when he used the term Nessa with her name. Béyta, huh? I thought, eyeing the elf for a second--she had the most ridiculous expression on her face--and then returning my gaze to Ristel.

And then there was a hiccup and Ristel was on his feet. I stood a second later. The elf had transformed again and I snorted. Well, there goes the point in the argument. Ristel approached the bed as I watched from my position near the wall. I would have moved closer, but from the scathing looks Ristel threw my way when he thought no one was watching, I wasn't going to risk it. The one-winged man might do something stupid.

"Nessa Béyta," Ristel murmured and sighed. He was talking to a rabbit-who-was-an-elf-when-she-wasn't-having-magical-fits-that-turned-her-into-one. I smirked and raised an eyebrow, calmly watching the scene. He fussed over the elf and when I met her eyes, she looked annoyed. Very. Annoyed. I gave her a look that said I might be able to help if she let me. I did know a little about curses. I'd seen a few people pass through Myrddin who were suffering from them in my years with the Council of Nine. Maybe I could take a look and help?

I blinked, remembering something one of the Elders had said. And then I smiled. I could help, I thought and sent it towards the elf, much like I had done earlier with the "if looks could kill" one. She flinched, her eyes widening as I kept me gaze level on hers. I could help, and I would---if she let me.

384 Reviews

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:25 pm
eldEr says...

Ristel

His eyes shot back to Lilura, hopefully sending a message of their own. Ristel wasn't in a very tolerating mood tonight- one more of those looks from that woman and she was getting thrown out. Lost and alone or not. His gaze didn't drop until Lilura's did first, and then he was scooping Béyta up, cradling her carefully in one arm. He flicked her ear softly and mustered a small smile when she shook her head- more than likely in annoyance.

"You did that on purpose." He pulled the remaining pillow out from under his other arm, laying it down on Béyta's side of the bed. "If you stay like this all night, we shouldn't have a problem, hm?" He set her down on it, gingerly pulling the sheet over her before laying down himself. "I don't use the pillows anyways."

He shot another cold look at Lilura. "You, lay down and go to sleep." He could have sworn he heard her chuckle, but he refused to awknowledge it. It just wasn't worth it. No Melnarian wretch was worth satisfying with a response- he knew that well enough by now.

He removed the headpiece and the pendant (which he set next to Béyta) gingerly before slipping under the covers, facing Béyta and, more importantly, Lilura. He watched her for a few seconds before letting his gaze drop to the feathers and braided hair, trying to piece together an image of his small family. Eynella- he could remember every crease that had been in her dress the morning he left. Every line in every finger, not a detail out of place. He could remember waking up to her crying, and then telling him that she had to get it all out then, so that she could be strong for Eraiy. Even she knew how dangerous the armies in Kiralin were. He relived hugging tiny Eraiy, promising to bring her back any treasure that he found- if he could find any. She had been young, only a few years old at the time, but her mind... it was at least seven years. The elders in Shoian had all said that Eidonias had blessed her with that mind, that she would come to know and do many great things in her life.

Ristel pulled in a shaky breath, stopping that memory before it could progress any further. Instead, he went to the day he took Eraiy out to the very top cliff of Shoian. It was his present to her for excelling at her flying classes, even when one of the boys teased her for having feathery, Nestrofoe wings. He had bought her a tiny cake- the kind that Eynella forbade their daughter to eat because of how sweet they were. It had been their little secret- not that his wife hadn't found out anyways. Ristel still didn't know how she came about figuring things out, but she hadn't been very happy with them.

Another memory was trying to push its way forward- and this was one that Ristel refused to replay. His return home. He squeezed his eyes shut in an effort to stop the tears leaking out of the corners. He should have known by then that the trick never worked. He could feel the bonds working, and no matter how hard he tried to stash them away for later- when there was nobody around to watch him have another emotional breakdown. But Liddie bonds are stubborn things, and they always win out in the end. Ristel was curling tighter into himself, bringing his knees closer to his chest, trying to keep his crying silent, or at least relatively quiet. Something fuzzy brushed up against his chin, and he rested a hand on a tiny rabbit body, trying to draw every ounce of comfort he could from little Béyta. It wasn't working.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:20 am
SisterItaly says...

Bay

That was admittedly the best sleep I had in a long time. Not once that night had I woken up- or had any nightmares. To top that, I was surprisingly- and happily- warm and comfortable. My hand shifted over the smooth fabric on the bed and came to a quick and abrupt stop against the source of the warmth. Skin against skin?

I opened my eyes faintly to see the blurry image of my small fingers in front of my face. Elven form, thank our mother Gaia. At least allergies weren't hereditary, seeing as both my parents were allergic to animal fur. What kind of life would that be? Being allergic to myself.

Wait- Skin against skin?

I rubbed my eyes with my free hand and looked up to see the soundly sleeping face of Ristel- then along came the memories of what happened just hours before. Any normal person would have shrieked and jumped out of the bed, but I was comfortable. I wasn't about to give up my comfy spot and make the whole day awkward.

I nestled my head back down into the pillow, slightly leaning it against his neck where a nice pocket of body heat hid. Was this horrible and completely wrong? Maybe, but who cared? I was still half asleep.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:51 pm
eldEr says...

Ristel

Ristel felt his hand trail along the bed- or, what he thought was the bed. A slight indent that felt an awful lot like his wife's hips made him frown in his state of semi-consciousness. No, that wasn't right- Eynella was... well, she was gone. His emotions had determined that much last night.

Vague memories of sobbing worked their way forward, and then a fuzzy little body nuzzling his chin- he had assumed for the sake of comfort-- wait.

Béyta?

Ristel's eyes shot open, and, sure enough, there was Béyta, her face snuggled into the crook of her neck. He rolled quickly, trying to move his wing out of his way in the process. Unfortunately, it found the edge of the bed. Balance upset, Ristel tumbled to the floor, grunting when his shoulder hit wood. He didn't move from that spot- just slipped his wing out from under him and rolled onto his back, staring at an out-of-focus ceiling for a few seconds.

How did one hiccup in their sleep, turn back into a human and not notice and, for the love of Eidonias, move away from the man they were next to? If she had just stayed a blasted rabbit, they wouldn't have a problem right now. Unfortunately, she hadn't, and Ristel felt... dirty. And all they had done was sleep.

"Ristel?"

Béyta's groggy voice almost went on ignored, but he ended up forcing himself to answer. "Yes, Nessa Béyta?" Hopefully he didn't sound nearly as startled as he felt. His head started pounding, slurring whatever it was that the elf said next. He winced, squeezed his eyes shut and pushed himself up with one arm. The other hand went to his forehead, massaging it gently. He knew what was wrong, it wasn't for a lack of migraines since his wife and daughter had died.

"Ristel?" More concern this time. "Is something wrong?"

He glanced up at her, one eyebrow arched slightly above the other. It was a look that said absolutely, but what came out of his mouth was a nonchalant; "Grief headache, I suppose." He managed a half-smile, sitting up completely. "I'll be fine."
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 pm
SisterItaly says...

Bay

He couldn't fool me, I knew what was wrong. Now I felt incredibly guilty; half conscious or not I should have been able to move away from him. As long as he didn't bring it up, it would seem like I didn't know what happened. Right? That was a horrible and deceitful plan and I knew it, but it was better than having Ristel mad at me, and kicking me out. This city was just no place for an elf who spontaneously turned into a rabbit when she hiccuped.

He pulled himself off the floor as I shot a quick glance over my shoulder at Lilura. Some how she managed to sleep through that. Now, if only I could get myself to sleep that heavily. Ristel stretched his arm out and rubbed his shoulder, no doubt still in pain from his tumble.

"Is your shoulder alright? Would you like me to fix that?" I asked as I patted the bed, a signal for him to sit.

He looked at me oddly, but obeyed and sat on the bed. I scooched up and stood on my knees behind him, my fingers grazed the tender skin that was already beginning to bruise. I mumbled a quiet 'this is going to sting a bit' before pressing my fingers against his skin and forcing the healing energy out of me and into him to stop the bruising and stop the aching.

He looked back at me, a little shocked and happy at the same time.

"Neseradian Elf, minor healing powers. I don't think I could handle anything big like a stab wound yet, but minor bruises and scraps aren't that hard."

The Book.

384 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 am
eldEr says...

Ristel

He smiled warmly- thankfully, and shook his head. "I shouldn't be so surprised. I've seen healers..." he chuckled softly, wincing at a spike of pain in his head. "Apparently it doesn't work on headaches."

Ristel pushed himself up, on hand massaging his forehead on his treck to the desk. He didn't bother stepping quietly- why should he care if he woke Lilura? The second drawer was yanked open, and once again, he made no attempt at concealing the noise. Had Béyta still been asleep, he would have been more careful. Of course, he had woken her up. After finding her snuggling up to him in her sleep.

He pushed the thought off, deciding that it couldn't have been intentional- perhaps she just rolled around a bit- and pulled out a vial of dark blue liquid. Thild hadn't let him leave without it; a nice cure for headaches, and it soothed raw nerves and aided in calming the mind. Just what he needed. He unscrewed the lid- not a cork, like most bottles. Only the finest in the Azzian palace. The lid doubled as a little wooden cup, conveniently holding just enough of the liquid for Ristel's headaches. He tipped the tiny vial carefully, wondering what he would do when the last of it was used.

He dumped it onto his tongue, pulling a face at the tartness, and replaced the lid before slipping it back into the drawer. "Sour stuff." He turned around, still squinting and puckering his lips a little. Béyta let out something that sounded vaguely like a giggle.

Ristel chuckled, jutting his chin out in her direction. "I'd like to see you try some and not pull a face, Nessa Béyta."

Béyta opened her mouth, about to say something, and abruptly shut it when Lilura stirred. Both stood still for a few seconds, Ristel half-expecting her to sit up and stare at them with glowing crimson eyes. It never happened, thank Eidonias. He let out a slow breath as she settled down again, hoping that his tension wasn't showing.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet