z

Young Writers Society

Welcome to Camp Half-Blood (Started/ Still Accepting)

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm
veeren says...

Spoiler! :
I might not be able to post that often, but I'll try my best :D

Name: Ness Derack

Parents: Poseidon and Jamie Derack

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Fairly tall guy with a full head of long, grey hair, with the eyes to match. He has an athletic body and his skin is almost too pale.

Personality: Ness was never the kind of guy to be mad. He's always in a good mood, and likes making jokes, even in bad situations. He's a fairly smart person, so he's also not one to do something stupid. Being the Poseidon cabin counselor, he also has good leadership skills, even though he usually just lets his cabin mates run free.

Also has a silly hatred towards the demigods of the other two of the big three.

Brief history: He grew up a normal kid until he was 12, when he got angry and emptied a kiddie pool of water on his step-father. He was also twelve when he was chased by his first monster. He would've died that night if a Satyr hadn't saved him. Ever since then he's been living at Camp Half-blood, with the permission of his mother.

He's learned a lot at camp, and is one of the most experienced demi-gods there. He knows just about every trick in the book and has a defense for every situation, at least when he's fighting. He was never one to attack someone, he liked protecting others more. Because of that, his defensive abilities with water are astounding. He doesn't use them much, but when he does, his offensive attacks with his powers are usually very effective and done on a large scale.

He's a year round camper, and is always sending letters to his mother, who he hasn't seen in years. He thinks he might go home this year, but at the same time wants to stay and learn as much as he can.

Favorite Weapon: A sword made just for him by a child of Hephaestus. He doesn't use it much, only when he feels like he doesn't want to use his powers.

Magical Item: For his eighteenth birthday, his father gave him a trident almost as tall as him. Besides it being a weapon, he can also use it to control water from farther distance than he could without it.

Up for love: Too goofy.

Other: Nada.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 pm
Cailey says...

Spoiler! :
Sorry, I haven't read the book or seen the movie in a long time. So I'll try to get all the details right but feel free to correct me if I get anything wrong.

Name: Aiden Jewel
Parents: Poseidon and Ariana Jewel
Appearance
Spoiler! :
:Image

Brief history:Something happened to him as a child, though he doesn't really understand what. The "mistake" as he refers to it, involved water, and ended with his mother basically locking him into the house. He tried to at least get closer to her, but instead his mother spent a lot of time away from him in her room, usually in tears. He used to sit outside her door and try to talk to her, but she ignored him.
He grew up without having friends, because after the "mistake" his mother did all she could to keep him away from people.
He can't remember what actually happened in the "mistake", or anything of his life before that. Basically, all he's ever known is living in seclusion. He ran away after finally getting so fed up with his life, and perhaps with the urging of Poseidon ended up at camp Half-Blood. Of course, he's awkward, lonely, and uncomfortable, and knows absolutely nothing about gods and demigods. In fact, most of his life he didn't go to school, so he really isn't the brightest when it comes to any knowledge.

Favorite Weapon: He's never fought anyone or anything, and doesn't have a favorite weapon, or even know how to use one.

Personality: Aiden is an outcast. Because of this he has very low people skills and is easily scared by others. He reacts too easily and usually not in the right way, but the rest of the time tries not to talk.
Of course, he wants to be liked, and he wants to figure out how to remember and figure out what happened and why he's different. Therefore, if one can get past his awkwardness he will be a loyal and faithful friend to the best of his abilities.

Magical Item (if you have one): At this point, he doesn't even know magic exists.

Up for love: Sure, if you can get through his lack of people skills.

Other: He can draw. All those years alone he set his mind on finding something he could do, which ended up being art. He carries around a small notebook with sketches and paintings, and turns to his pencils when things get too hard.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:25 pm
View Likes
Dragonette says...

I might have time to do a Dionysus kid :)
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 pm
KeiPie says...

Could I act another character? I have a really good idea for the daughter of Hermes.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
― Mark Twain

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”
― Ray Bradbury

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm
Noelle says...

KeiPie wrote:Could I act another character? I have a really good idea for the daughter of Hermes.

Sure!
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

5 Reviews

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 pm
KeiPie says...

Name: Miria "Mir (meer)" Oak
Parents: Hermes and Dalia Durk
Appearance: Mir is small and petite and tends to blend easily into her surroundings. Her normal clothing comprises of knee-length black skirt, a tight brown shirt covered with a black vest, and black lace-up army boots. She is a master of disguise though, but she won't use her skills at camp. She has green eyes and nearly black hair and looks very young for her age, most people mistake her for about thirteen.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Miria is quiet and observant. She usually knows more about you than you know about yourself. She's been trained to watch people from a distance and learn all about them that way. Miria is kind but sly and cunning. She is very skeptical of people but is very likable.
Brief history: Miria was born to a poor lady in a small village. Her mother, Dalia Durk, was beautiful and smart, and thus Hermes found her and married her. Hermes was able to stay with Dalia for a while but when Miria was going to be born, Hermes was scared for her future and decided to leave but left instructions for Dalia to send Miria to the camp when she was old enough. Hermes lost contact with Dalia, but he believed it was for their own good.
When Miria was five, Dalia was unfortunately caught in a mob and killed. With no other family, Miria was left on the streets with nowhere to go. One day a man found her masterfully stealing cheese behind the cheesemaker's back. The man, Oleph, decided that Miria was just the person he needed. He was the head of an organized pickpocketing group. With very few jobs, pickpocketing the rich was the only way for some people to get by. Oleph adopted Mir and began to train her. Oleph sometimes accepted robbery and spying jobs and thus trained Mir in both things. Mir learned to observe people to find their weaknesses and how to attack their compassion. Before the age of 13, Mir became one of the best pickpockets around and she formed a very close bond with Oleph. Oleph was her father, her older brother, her mentor, and her friend. Everything changed when at fifteen, Hermes' messenger came to take Mir away to the camp. After years of searching, Hermes had finally found out what had happened to his daughter. Mir was terrified of this new-found father and only wished to be back with Oleph, but alas, it was not to be. Mir decided to keep her past a secret from her father and from anyone who asked. It was just too dangerous.
Hermes found Mir's daughterly love for Oleph menacing and secretly disposed of Oleph. Of course clever Miria found out what her father had did. While investigating the plot, she found piece of secret information that no one was meant to find. It was the copy of an order. An order to start a mob in a certain place at a certain time. The title of the order was Dalia.
Favorite Weapon: Mir uses her ingenuity as her weapon, but if she must pick one, she likes the bow and arrow, that way she can attack from afar.
Magical Item: She has a tiny ring her father gave her when she was a baby. She wears it on a chain and believes that it helps her blend in her surroundings.
Up for love: Sure, if the guy can get close enough to reach her.
Other: Oleph's nickname for Mir was Mouse. She won't let anyone use that nickname unless they get very close. Also, while with Oleph she used the last name Oak because it was all she could remember of her last name when she was five. She had no clue she was Durk until Hermes told her. Mir decided to keep her fake name though.
Spoiler! :
Phew that was long! Sorry!
Last edited by KeiPie on Wed May 01, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
― Mark Twain

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”
― Ray Bradbury

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 pm
AdventurerDaniel says...

Name: Rand Aloemir

Parents: Apollo and Laura Aloemir

Appearance: He takes after his father in that he's stunningly handsome. He's tall with a semi-muscular build, his skin has a light tan to it, and his hair is a golden brown that hangs down to his shoulder with a slight curl to it. Rand's most notable trait is his penchant for wearing short sleeve button up shirts unbuttoned and cargo shorts. His most defining feature are the scars on his chest that he wears like symbols of his bravery. His eyes are a sky blue that some say can pierce the soul.

Personality: Rand is confident in his skills as an archer and never misses a shot but is better known around the camp for his skill in music. He prefers to stalk his prey when in combat waiting for the exact moment to strike. He's known for being the only person at camp that can scam the Hermes cabin. Rand has a gift for medicine and prophecy making him great support in a fight and that's where he primarily sees use. Unlike the rest of Apollo cabin Rand spends his time playing music for naiads and dryads as well as Aphrodite cabin and is known as bit of a flirt.

Brief history:He's been going to Camp Halfblood for years and is rather well known around camp. He tends to lead singing around the campfire and occasionally lead archery training. Rand was forced to start going to the camp at a young age as for some odd reason he attracted tons of monsters to his attention. Fortunately he had some skill in prophecy inherently and it allowed him to avoid the monsters with ease. Finally his mother, whom had somehow stayed in contact with Apollo well enough for him to weigh in on Rand's fate decided it would be best for him to go the camp. He's a year round camper as to keep his mother safe but contacts her as much as he can.

Rand has been on a few quest and the scars are the marks of his first one a journey to study the Labyrinth. He slayed the beast but not before having his chest sliced open. It was his first quest and earned him respect and was also when his father first appeared to him and gave him his quiver and bow. His father healed him and that's when Rand got back up and slayed the beast with one mighty arrow.

Favorite Weapon:A bow that was a gift from his father.

Magical Item: Aside from the bow his father gave him a quiver that produces arrows made of light. As well as an instrument that changes form at Rand's will but always appears as a lyre. The magic bow and quiver can only be used by Rand and the instrument only is at full potential in his hands.

Up for love: Yes, but consider he is a ladies man.
Last edited by AdventurerDaniel on Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 am
StoneHeart says...

Camper Profile

Name: Adrian Smith.

Parents: Athena and Charles. F. Smith (A scientist)

Appearance: Tall and thin, with medium length blonde hair, brown/green eyes, very well-muscled (But not stocky), wears black always, doesn’t like being bothered, and can fight (With a spear) very, very well.

Personality: He’s smart, nothing special for a child of Athena, but very smart. He doesn’t much care for tactics, preferring to use brute force and stuff like that instead! He’s a friendly guy, but he doesn’t like to talk too much, he’s only friendly once you’ve broken the ice and have gotten to know him, otherwise he’s just kinda informal I-don’t-care-a-bit-about-you. He doesn’t have many friends, and he’s rather logically loyal to his few (He won’t get killed for them – like Percy would have). He doesn’t believe in humanity, and thinks everyone’s gonna let you down when you need them most (He sure will).

Brief history: His father was a genius, retired, and five-star, General who lived in Boston, MA. He ran into Athena by chance and got to know each other, and then you have the usual sob story with the mom sending him down a baby-in-a-basket that he didn’t really want and him raising the kid wrong (Yeah, even in a mansion with a dozen nurses) until finally when monsters start to come around he runs away.

But he wasn’t found by a protector until he was 14 (Ran away when he was 12), by which time he had met up with a couple other half bloods (Who died on the trip back – killed by hell-hounds), he’s grown up in Camp Halfblood with minimal friends, he’s very good at everything, but handling people and gets in uncharacteristically Athenian trouble.

Nothing much more to say, he’s never gone on a quest but he really wants to – never has had a chance yet (If they need a load of skill then they’ll ask him)

Favorite Weapon: A long, oak shafted spear with a two foot blade on the end, he’d extremely good with it, having practiced with it since he was twelve.
Image (Think this with a six foot handle).

Magical Item (if you have one):
His spear can only be used by him and him alone (Think - Thors hammer minus the ‘must be worthy of it’).

Up for love: Ye gotta break the ice first. . . . (All the way, and watch it, he’s only loyal when it suits him).

Other: Um, yeah Noelle, you spelled ‘caduceus’ may I quote
caduceaus
and Peleus, may I quote
Pelus
. . . . Otherwise, this is gonna be an awesome SB, you may expect regular posts.

And nobody go beating Adrian up without letting me know first!
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 am
cm57105 says...

Name: Riley Yaserof

Parents: (Mortal and god) Rachael Trent and Poseidon

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Riley has auburn hair, the color of autumn leaves (she gets red highlights in winter). Sh heads startlingly blue eyes, deep and thoughtful. Her complexion is pale and she is never found with out a hoodie,

Personality: Riley is... Well, Riley. Strong, silent. She ops intelligent and charming but more is intent on writing in her notebook than anything else. She can be uninviting and cruel when she wants to be.

Brief history: Riley's mum ran away when she was four, so she's never trusted anyone, not even her dad. But a trail of water led her to camp half blood at age seven and she is an elder there.

Favorite Weapon: Double sided Broadsword, celestial bronze and steel.

Magical Item (if you have one): a sea green pendant the size of a pebble that let's her see under water.

Up for love: Maybe

Other: She is a fantastic singer.
Last edited by cm57105 on Fri May 03, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't have a trophy case that spins into a secret room with a press of a button, then your an idiot.

Need a review? You've come to the right person.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&p=1143828#p1143828

5 Reviews

Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm
ERANBEAR says...

Aquestioning wrote: ERR MAH GERD, ERANBEAR YOU ARE A LEGEND, you haven't been on in awhile! JOIN WR2

how am I a legend?
They say the world is your oyster; but what if you keep kosher?

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 am
Omni says...

Name: Miranda Furia

Parents: (Mortal and god) Furia D'more and Hades

Appearance: In attachment

Personality: She's very quiet, almost a mute, because her special power demands it. She's lost everything, so she doesn't really communicate with people very well. She was basically dragged to Camp Half-Blood.

Brief history: Her mother died giving birth to her and she never knew her father personally, although she knew of him. She was adopted almost immediately, but after that, she went from foster parent to foster parent until she was 12, whenever her parents died.

That was the first time she time traveled. She died, also, in 1996, but her body did not go to the Underworld. She went into a limbo state, and she was reborn, same age, but in 1886. This sort of thing attracted many out-of-the-ordinary monsters that have followed her for 5 years. During that time, she time traveled to eight different timelines and more and more monsters have followed her through each.

She now spends her time hiding in Camp Half-Blood from the monsters following her. Only Chiron knows about her predicament and gives her medicine to keep her from doing anything that might kill her. If that happens, then the monsters make multiple copies of themselves and Camp Half-Blood could easily be overrun.

Favorite Weapon: She's been trained as a fierce warrior in many different times, but she likes daggers that she keeps with her at all times. They're magically equipped to not deal any damage to her, no matter how had she tries.

Spoiler! :

Magical Item (if you have one):

Spoiler! :

Up for love: Maybe, if one can be able to stop her from hurting them or herself.

Other: There is a way that she can come back to a certain timeline, the pendant mentioned above, is kept in a timeline where she died, is the only way that she can go back. However, she lost it in 1886. The only way she can get it back is by either finding it in the timeline she is in now or going back to the timeline, the latter impossible and the sooner improbable.
Attachments
tamil beautiful girl.jpg
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 am
Noelle says...

Spoiler! :
I wanted to make another character before we start this tomorrow. I used this same girl in a SB before, but I'm transferring her here. She's just so fun to write so I couldn't help but use her again.

Name: Alexis "Lexi" Elliot

Age (12-19): 15

Parents (Mortal and god): Ares and Maris Elliot

Appearance: Lexi is quite tall for a girl, standing at 5'10". She has fiery green eyes and black hair streaked with red. There's a tattoo of a wild boar on her right shoulder blade that she got after her first year at camp. Her wardrobe consists of mostly workout clothes (tank tops and shorts). Because she spends so much time training, she has huge muscles for a girl. They are still on the small side though. She doesn't look like a body builder. Although if she did look like a body builder that would be pretty cool...

Personality: Lexi is tough and doesn't take crap from anyone. When she wants to be, she is calm and friendly. Just don't get on her bad side. While in a fight, her first instinct is to attack. Defending and retreating are the last things on her mind. Don't be intimidated to approach her though. She'll only bite your head off if you say something stupid. Her hobbies include beating everyone at volleyball, arm wrestling, and keeping the younger campers "in line".

Brief history: Lexi has been at camp for five years. Since her mother lives in Montana, she stays at camp all year round. She does have an uncle who lives in New York that she visits from time to time. But she doesn't dare go back to Montana because a lot of monsters live in the woods there. She could kill them all of course, but she doesn't want to endanger anyone else.

There used to be another kid in the Elliot family. Just three years ago, Lexi's little brother Brian was sent away on a quest. He didn't make it back to camp. The kids he went on the quest with came back without him and without an explanation as to what happened to him. All they know is that they woke up one morning and he was gone. They had gone looking for him, but had no such luck. Lexi hasn't been the same since. He was only thirteen years old at the time. She misses him horribly.

Favorite Weapon: a sword that Ares gave to her when she was fourteen, shortly after the death of her brother
Spoiler! :
sword.jpg

Magical Item (if you have one): none

Up for love: why not?

Other: She's obsessed with World War II. She finds it very fascinating.

YWS is life

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri May 03, 2013 4:34 am
View Likes
Dragonette says...

Name: Abrin Anderson

Parents: Demeter and Jim Anderson

Appearance: Abrin has sandy-brown, curly hair and ivy green eyes. He's rather tall at 6'4. He's normally got a healthy layer of dirt on him and he's ALWAYS barefoot. His noes is a bit over-sized but not by much, and he has very nice jawline and mouth structure.
Spoiler! :
(Ok, honestly I could just look at him all day *sighs* <3 )(Sorry, ignore my fangirling ;) )

Personality: I could describe Abrin in one word: Kind. He is like a big brother to everyone he comes in contact with. He's such a sweetheart, honestly. He'll always help out anyone he can. He always tries his hardest. He never hurts someone on purpose.
He stands up for what he believes in and never backs down; he doesn't like bullys and he never lets them push him around.
He loves nature.
But the main thing you should know about Abrin, is that he's deaf. He can lip-read REALLY well, so if you're facing him, he knows what your saying. But other than that he can't hear or speak. He doesn't let that stop him, though. He's really good at getting across what he's saying by facial expressions, sign-language and writing in the dirt. Literally. Demeter blessed him so that he can use his mind to write out words in the sand (as if someone where tracing out words with their finger). So he can will the dirt to write down whatever he is thinking, in ANY language, even though he can't physically read or write it. He has to be careful because sometimes he does it subconciously, his thoughts are written out with out him meaning to.

Brief history: Because he's deaf AND dyslexic, not only do the words float off the page, but he can't hear them, so learning to read and write is nearly impossible. So he never did well in school. His father is a rich man and payed for him to go to a privet deaf school, and even for many tutors, but he could never learn to read or write. Not knowing what else to do with him, his father shipped him off to his uncle's farm in France when he was ten. Abrin LOVED it there. Because he was a child of a minor god, and was not a realized demi-god, monsters left him alone. But when he was fifteen, he was attacked by a monster. It destroy quite a bit of his uncle's farm, but Abrin finally killed it by stabbing it with a fence post X) Demeter told him about his true identity, erased the event from his aunt and uncle's mind, and told him that he needed to go to camp half-blood. So she visited Abrin's father (who still doesn't know her true form) and told him about an incredible camp/school for people just like Abrin. Releaved that he had found a place for Abrin, he called his son back to the States and sent him to Camp Half-blood.
Abrin has been going to Camp Half-blood for three years now and has accomplished in learning greek. Even though he misses the farm, he has grown to love his new home. His father still doesn't know about the whole demigod thing.

Favorite Weapon: A sickle (get it? Like the tool people used to harvest wheat with)
He also carries around a pouch full of vine seeds. Then, with his Demeter powers, he can create a vine to tie his enemy in, or use it as a rope if he needs to climb down something. You'd be surprised at how handy they come in.

Magical Item: N/A

Up for love: Yes :)

Other:
Last edited by Dragonette on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri May 03, 2013 5:43 am
Jony says...

Name: Ben Richard
Parents: Apollo and Kathleen Silver

Appearance: Dark foggy blue eyes. Wavy, sometimes unruly brown hair. Light freckles across a serious, often depressed face. Fair skinned but not pale or tan, just in-between. Thin, some say too thin for his age, built like a runner with lean muscular legs. Tall, people often mistake him for 16-17.

Personality: Favorite color is blue. Has no self confidence but tries to mask it with jokes. Shy around girls he likes but otherwise a very outgoing guy. Secretly loves anything to do with Jerry Seinfeld and has a thing for old 90's sitcoms but would never admit it out loud. Loves to write, draw (though he can't paint to save his life) and plays guitar, piano and trumpet. He has no trouble playing in front of people if they asked but would never sit outside playing guitar without reason, for fear of being labeled as "one of those guys"

Brief history: After being brought into life by his mother, Kathleen Silver, he was quickly put up for adoption. His mother cried every day for two years after making that choice but all she wanted to do was get him as far away from her and his true history as possible, for fear of him being targeted. After being adopted and taking on the last name Richard, Ben quickly learned he was different. He never fit in anywhere and he always ate alone at lunch. After entering middle school, he decided to put himself out there and took up the role as the class artist and all-around nice guy, the kind that nobody hated but unfortunately no girls seemed to fall for. But one day in the eighth grade, everything changed for him. He was walking home from school, talking to his best friend Toby about girls and boobs, guy talk. When Ben saw it, the serpent was at-least twenty feet long and fangs the size of swords. It was Python, the dragon slain by Apollo, looking for revenge. It struck, but not Ben, it struck Toby. It swallowed him whole. Ben fled, scarred, knowing that he had to run or it would just come back for him. After a year of wandering the streets of North America, he heard about a refuge, about camp half-blood. He is the newest camper at the camp and still hasn't settled in, he feels awkward about being around other demi-gods and hopes that he would just be able to fit in somewhere.

Favorite Weapon: Sword/Bow he received from an oracle when living on the streets of Boston on his fifteenth birthday, also the day he was claimed as Apolo's son. During the day it appears as a sword with the emblem of the sun engraved on it (a gift from his father). During the night it turns into a silver bow that bears the symbol of the moon, a secret Birthday present to Artemis's favorite direct nephew. (Though she would never tell that to him or Apollo.)

Magical Item: A Necklace with a guitar pick tied to it. When Ben becomes enraged it lights both itself and any part of Bens body he wants on fire. After all he is a child of the god of the sun.

Up for love: If he gets the guts to talk to a pretty girl.

Other: Dreams of one day killing Python just like his father did and taking his revenge for it eating his friend Toby.
Last edited by Jony on Sat May 04, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die:
Ever drifting down the stream- Lingering in the golden gleam- Life, what is it but a dream?”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

-Jon7670

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 am
Noelle says...

Marxus - Hephaestus
Monday morning

I stopped just before crossing the border and looked back at my mom. She hadn't left yet. She was waiting in the driver's seat of her Ford pickup, drumming her fingers against the dashboard, probably hoping that I'd decide to go home with her. Like, Psych! I'm not really going to camp this summer, Mom. Let's go out for ice cream! Yeah right.

I knew that Camp Half-Blood made her nervous. It's kind of funny to be honest. She's a mortal; the dragon wasn't going to attack unless she tried something stupid. Which, since she was so strict, I knew wasn't going to happen. I raised my arm and waved to her.

"Bye, Mom," I called out. "It's just for the summer. Don't worry about me. I'll write!" No I won't. It's the same promise I made her last year and the year before. She'll never get a letter from me. But just the thought of it seemed to calm her and she drove away.

The thing you have to understand about my mom is that she had always been a part of my life. She had to know everything that I did. Going out with friends? Oh, I'll drive. Then I'll sit in my car down the road and spy on you! Of course she never said that last part, but she didn't have to. I always spotted her. It was something about she didn't want anyone to find out my secret. A stupid reason because I'm sure that no one would believe it even if they found out the truth.

She told me when the day before I turned twelve years old about my dad. I didn't believe her at first. I mean, how could I be part-god? I was just a normal teenager who kept getting bounced by schools because of my superior smarts (that's my reasoning). But none the less, on my twelfth birthday my mom dropped me off here at the border of Camp Half-Blood. Chiron, that man who's half a horse -- pretty cool huh? -- was waiting for me at the boundary. He took me to the big house and explained it all to me.

And I've been at camp ever since. Some people stay year round, but I'm not as important as, say, a child of Ares or Poseidon. So I can go home every year to see my mom. I never want to though because she's so overpowering, but sometimes all of this combat and talk of monsters gets to me. I need my time in the normal -- ahem, mortal -- world.

So there I was, two years later, ready to make that long walk down to camp. I crossed the boundary and suddenly felt better. There's something that this camp could do to me. I always felt better the second I stepped into camp. I feel like I belong with these people. Sure, my friends in the mortal world are cool, but they don't know how to wield a sword or shoot an arrow perfectly through a bulls eye over and over again.

I finally reached the bottom of the hill and was greeted by a few satyrs playing volleyball. I checked my watch; it was seven in the morning. They start playing that early? I waved back to them and continued on.

I hadn't noticed him before, but Abrin was sitting in a patch of dirt next to the volleyball court. His head was moving back and forth, following the ball as tiny words wrote themselves in the dirt. I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. Looking up at me, he smiled, but thought about it, frowned, and shook his head. My head dropped.

Nobody

I looked at the word in the dirt, thanked him, and made my way straight to my cabin. Abrin is deaf you see, but he still finds ways to communicate. He's pretty awesome, that kid.

The door to the Hephaestus cabin was shut tight. I took a deep breath before pushing it open and stepping into my true home. It was empty just like it was every year. I had Abrin promise to tell me if there was another Hephaestus kid claimed while I was gone. That's what the whole word in the dirt thing was.

It was going to be another lonely summer, but I could deal with it. I mean, this place was an inventor's heaven! Almost the second after I dropped my bags onto my bed, I raced to the work benches built up against the side of the cabin and began making something.

This summer was going to be the best summer ever. It didn't bother me that much that I didn't have a godly sibling because I had a feeling that a friend was right around the corner. Hephaestus would look after me; he always did.

YWS is life

You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster