z

Young Writers Society

You are being watched. *started/SRopen*

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:17 pm
LadySpark says...

Andea/Opposed

I was surrounded by people. We were all pressed together, and it was hot in this room. The helicopter in which we were riding was circling, making my already upset stomach scream. We were sprialling down to earth, I could feel it, and I was not happy about it.

It meant we were getting closer to a fate that I didn't want to happen. A fate that was never ending. Till the day I would die.
I would never get out, and it was all my fault.
As I tried to get into a comfortable position, a trap door let out from beneath my feet, and I feel onto something surprisingly soft.
A voice broadcasted over my ears, and I looked up, trying to find the source. "Greetings, this is the last human contact you will have till your dying days. Good luck."

Good luck? I'd show em good luck. I'd somehow get out of this.
I looked around. Everyone was sitting, and pretty much everyone was my age. There was a little boy, who looked petrified. Poor little thing.
My back back was blue, and held my clothes, and my three things.
Some kids stood up and started walking off.

I wanted too, but first I stood up to get the 'lay of the land.' there were woods to the left of me, and big lake infront of me, then a beach, then an ocean, and to the right of me, was a field. If I was going anywhere, the woods would be my best bet. I tried not to think about the woods behind my Aunt's house, the woods I would never see again..

Okay, guys, have fun!
Last edited by LadySpark on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:52 pm
Betheny says...

Esta | Opposed

I stood up, a black satchel slung over my shoulders. Woodland streched to my left and thats where I went, ripping off my headphones on the way. 'Good luck', bah! I couldn't believe that Armand had nominated me forr this ridiculous experiment, I sincerly hoped he regreted it. He thought you'd enjoy it, have fun out here on your own What a fool! Once in the safety of the woods I turned back to view who else had been dumped on this island. A few young kids, lost without their mothers, most of them, however, were mainly about my age give or take a few years. I saw a lake not far beyond them, and the ocean after that, only a thin strip of beach seperating the two. Hopefully there would be good places to fish, and in the fields opposite it could vaugely see some type of cattle like animal. Well at least I'd have something to do... I saw that others had begun to wonder off already, I smiled to myself. Good, I thought It's better to left alone, although it would be nice to meet a likeminded individual... for the first time in an age I let my thoughts wonder to that delicate subject. Years ago I'd been broken, and I'd never really healed since. Shaking my head in dismissel, I turned and lost myself in the raw anture around me. Then it struck me, this place was so pure, so untouched... What is really going on here?
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm
tgirly says...

Chance-Together:
I stared up at the jet as it broadcasted Dad's voice. My knees were shaking. I didn't know what else to do, so I sat down on the thin strip of beach, and started building a fire. I didn't use the matches they'd given me, I wanted to save those. I just used some leaves and some sticks. I made a circle of rocks and got to work. Once I had it blazing pretty good, I sat down in the sand and stared at it.
My brother used to joke that the only time I was quiet was when I was ruining my eyes and staring at fires. But I just couldn't help it, there was something about the way the flames swooped and spiked in their dance of heat that just attracted me like a fly to honey.
Once, I'd asked my mom what fire was made of. She'd just said that that was a good question. Which is grown-up speech for "I have no clue." I wish I had my mother's eyes, which were ice blue, but had this light like a flame dancing in them. I remembered the viewing, and how there hadn't been that light in her eyes then. They'd been damp and cold and lifeless. I shivered at the thought and moved closer to the fire, feeling its heat on my face. It was so comforting.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:05 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

Penny: Togethers
I think my brother Callum and I took a simultaneous breath. Around us, people were scattering or mingling, scoping the area around us. Despite the fear that was hammering in my chest, my mouth contorted itself into the tiniest smile. Cal looked at me confusedly. He always had a weirdly lost look, ever since he'd come back from being deported as a soldier. It scared me. "What are you smiling about?" he asked bitterly, shifting the backpack straps on his shoulders.

I shrugged. "Just...things are going to be better. Believe me."

"This is insanity," he murmured under his breath. He didn't say anything else, though, probably feeling guilty about the fact that it was him who enlisted us for this; he'd wanted to escape war, and I'd wanted to escape my life. His reasons were more understandable than mine. Yet I felt relieved that we were here. Far away from the terrible evils of the world, in a place that was cleansed somehow; probably because it'd never been tainted to start with.

"Well, I'm peacemaker, so I suppose I should get to know some people," I said, looking around again. "And you're a hunter, so I suppose you should start shooting. Good luck, Elmer Fudd."

"I was a sniper. I'll be fine."

"That's what I've been saying." I smiled teasingly, and he half-smiled back. For a second, we locked gazes. "Things. Will. Be. Fine."
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 pm
Kaywiia says...

Charlie Wright. Togethers.

Everyone else seemed to have something to do. I just looked around, slowly taking in my surroundings. I was standing on a beach, with woods strectching for who-knows-how-long in front of me.

What do I need most right now?

I wasn't hungry, but I was tierd. I wanted to lay down and rest, but I was afraid I would wake up and everyone would be gone. Not having a better idea of what to do, I walked over to a small boy who was sitting in front of a fire.

"Can I sit here?" I asked him. He nodded, but continued to stare into the flames. He seemed sad, his small face reflecting the mood that swam through the air on the beach. After a moment, the heat became too much, and I stood up again, giving the boy a small smile.

I nearly walked into the forest, then realized I could possibly get lost and starve. Turning around, I walked towards a boy and girl who seemed to know each other.

"What are we suposed to do?" I asked them.

((This is Penny and Callum))
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:24 am
Camulaeus says...

Name: Colm Muirclad
Gender Male
Appearence:
Spoiler! :

Number&Team 7, Opposed
Personality Who doesn't love a rebel? Colm opposes any form of oppression, and is willing to go to extreme lengths to provide the truth. His manner is frank and factual. He sees comedy as a tool, and can readily apply it in social situations. He is willing to adjust his outward appearance if he knows it will help in the long run.
Flaws
Suffers from Myotonia Congenita (A genetic disorder that causes the moment of tension when the human body is scared and all the muscles freeze, lasts 10-20 seconds instead of a millisecond, so that he falls over whenever he is scared)
Struggles with personal expression, compensates with truth for the public
Has a poor immune system.
Poor melee fighting skills.
Poor artillery fighting skills.
Attributes
Great Public speaking
Talented at Writing, creative and editorial
Prodigal reading ability
Adept spray painting
VERY observant.
History: Born to an English and History professor of a high-end boarding school in a remote area somewhere in the West Coast, Colm grew up in an education- based bubble, shielded from the gore of the real-world. When he was thirteen, he discovered a newspaper in the seat of a limo he was taking to his house form school, left by the previous rider. After seeing the images of destruction, poverty and despair, Colm's first emotion was rage: How could he have not known? He realized if he confronted his parents, the censorship would only continue, so instead he played it safe: continuing his normal routine of a life, during the day. During the night, he would sneak out and use spray paint to spread the news from the world over his school. He would use the local internet cafe to learn more about the world, where he would then blog and publish works under the codename "The Tower". Eventually, The Tower gained a reputation for distribution of the truth, and the government tracked the internet cafe down. Captured in the act, the government decided that his punishment was to partake in the experiment, and so Colm was shipped off.
Up for love? Yes, Straight.
the three things they brought with them and why: A can of pocket-size spray-paint for messages, a small Swiss army knife for it's usefulness and a small camera for proof and documentation.
The two outfits they brought with them: Two plain white T-shirts, with grey hoodie for each, as well as a pair of jeans and shorts. two pairs of athletic socks and flip-flops with sneakers. Two pairs of boxers.
How they got submitted to this experiment: Was sentenced to it due to his web-based publishing of disclosed information.
Vital skill Colm, 7, Writer due to his passion for text expression of truth.
Vital skill Belonging Laptop with restricted access to only Microsoft Office and constantly monitored Internet.
What you are wearing when you're dropped off: A pair of jeans with athletic socks, blue boxers, white t-shirt, grey-hoodie and a simple leather-strapped obsidian book necklace.
Other: Nothing already not covered.
Last edited by Camulaeus on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 pm
LadySpark says...

Camm, if you can get it done in a day, sure!
Last edited by LadySpark on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

28 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:33 pm
Betheny says...

Esta | Opposed

I had my leg haging down from the branch on which I was sitting, the sketch-pad resting unevenly on my other. Looking out over the place where we had been dropped off, I drew, and I wrote... Two things that I'd always enjoyed, although not as much as just being with my father. What would become of him now that I was gone? I was the only one he had left. In my illustration, I included the people still milling about there. A little boy sat next to a bright, smoking fire, a man and woman, probably related by the looks of them, along with various others still sat around. For some reason I had included the jet in the drawing, although it was nothing but a faint dot in the sky now. Looking down at my work, I smiled, thinking back to all the times my dad had sat over my shoulder correcting my movements to make me who I am today. I put the pad away, transfiring the penknife I'd brought to my trouser pocket, then letting myself drop to the floor, turned and nearly ran straight into another who had been left on this island.
"Hello," I muttered, "Sorry, I didn't see you there. My name is Esta by the way. If you don't mind me asking, what's your oppinion on all of this. Personally I'd rather not be here but, well, you know... We're here now and can't get anywhere." I smiled rather awkwadlly at them, ducking my face forward to hide my embarassment. God, I wish I'd brought a hair brush I thought when I saw my already tangled hair, Or at least a bobble...
(OCC: For you to jump in Drama if you want)
Last edited by Betheny on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

28 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:33 pm
Betheny says...

*Appologies, it double posted*

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm
Sapi says...

I'm really sorry I'm so late-can I still post my profile? I wasn't sure whether I was allowed to be the child of the Opposed yet...
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:47 pm
Iggy says...

*Noah*

Noah broke free of the mass of people, trying to nonchalantly catch his breath. He was slightly clasutrophobic, and he couldn't breath in there. He moved away about a foot, and then crouched to the ground, like her was going to try his shoe when really he was resting his cheek on his nose. Not really knowing what to do, or who to speak to, Noah just shrugged and leaned against a wall as far away from the huddle.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 pm
Camulaeus says...

*Colm*

I stepped free of the other subjects, I needed space. Immediately I turned and analyzed each one: a blonde girl with a winged-heart necklace that she kept fingering. It had something written on the back: it was obviously important. Maybe if she lost it, then it was rescued by brave Colm, her allegiance could be purchased? Also a boy, in a green military jacket: a Boston's Red Sox cap: perhaps he would relate to sport talk? Another boy was making a fire, too close to the water for it too last long: I noticed his knee's shaking when he watched the jet leave: obviously someone important for him on it. A girl with black hair and a satchel had moved away from the group, and was observing her surroundings with curiosity. It'd be interesting to have a like-minded member of the group. I decided to make my way over, wondering what the girl's name, history and drive were. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the jet, and then immediately removed it from my vision: I wasn't ready to think about that yet.

'Hey" I said as I got close enough.

She looked up; her crystal blue eyes staring intelligently at me. It was an odd feeling to be analyzed as throughly as I usually did to others. "Colm" I continued, extending my hand.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 pm
tgirly says...

Chance: Togethers:
I barely noticed the girl sit down. As she stands up, I'm broken from my trance. She walks away. I glance after her. I stand up. The fire's almost out, and I kick some dirt on the flames. I look around. I see a boy leaning against the wall, about the same age as my older brother. His hair's brown, slightly darker than mine. I walk up to him.
"Hi," I say as cheerfully as I can, "I'm Chance."
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm
Sapi says...

Name: Alice
Appearence:
Spoiler! :

She has dark brown, medium length hair and stands at about 5'2". Her eyes are a deep turquoise blue. she is of normal weight and slightly skinny.
Number&Team 1, Opposed.
Personality Alice has a fun-loving countenance. You can always make her smile, and she is almost always kind and good-natured. She is not exactly popular, but is not the nerd either. Alice thinks she's funny, but her jokes are most often random and fail. However, she can be serious sometimes. She was a straight-A student before she was brought here, and she works hard. Although she does not have many friends, every single one she has is a great friend and she is always loyal.
Flaws She is not pretty at all, but she manages. Alice gets frustrated very easily, especially when she is messing up more than anyone else, if that makes any sense. She is also very forgetful about things that aren't straight information, such as people, places, and times. For example, she will always be on the Honor Roll, but she can't remember where she's been, even if she went there for a whole year. She is very slow to do many things, such as eating and thinking! Also, she can usually be easily bribed into doing favors for people (i.e. give them food).
Attributes She will always stand up for her friends, and she always looks on the bright side of things. Alice is always curious and ready to learn. She will always make you laugh, and she is not afraid of much, except for spiders.
History: Alice grew up in what would have been a great home. Her parents are millionaires, and she had all she could possibly want-except for one thing. Her parents never had to time to do anything, it seemed. They couldn't play with her, they couldn't watch her perform for them, and most of all, they couldn't love her. Although her closet was filled with the latest fashion and she got anything she asked for, she was always sad because her parents didn't love her. Sometimes she would cry at night because she felt so alone. However, other than this, she leads a very normal, everyday life.
Up for love? Yes, straight (no older than 15, please!)
the three things they brought with them and why: She brought her ipod, because the music always takes her away from her life. She also brought her favorite book The Book Thief, because she can't live without it, it seems, and her art set with paper and colored pencils galore!
The two outfits they brought with them: She always wears a friendship bracelet she got from her best friend when she moved away. the first outfit is a pink tank top and thin, red sweater with skinny jeans. The second is a lime green, long-sleeve shirt and plaid shorts, made up of brown and pink over green.
How they got submitted to this experiment: Her parents made her, because they were afraid of her by this time, and having to spend time with her. They barely knew their own daughter.
Vital skill: 6. Writing, because she always loved drawing and especially writing as she grew up, and language arts was her favorite subject. She especially likes writing poems.
Vital skill Belonging A large notebook and pen with extra ink.
What you are wearing when you're dropped off: She is wearing a cute little blue sundress, and matching flat sandals.
Other: none
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

28 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 pm
Betheny says...

Esta | Opposed

"Colm?" I mused, I vague smile playing on his lips, "I'm Esta, a hunter." He was beautiful, handsom even. I took his hand shaking it firmly, almost without realising we locked eyes and my cheekes flushed bright red. Nervously I bit my bottom lip as I always do when embarrased. He smile made something inside me flutter... What's wrong with me? I've never felt like this, not after last time.
"You remind me of someone Esta..." His voice was rich and seductive for someone his age, so easy to get lost in. I had to make a physical effort not to get sidetracked. Taking my hand from his rather abrubtly, I turned to walk back into the forest. Catching the look on his face he seemed also disapionted that I was going.
"Come with me, I want to show you something," I whispered trying not to atract too much attention from the others who had started to disband from the drop site. That flirting look was back in his eyes. "No, nothing like that..." Together we wondered deeper into the forest, gently taking his hand I pulled him to a stop. "Here. It's far enough away from everyone else. What do you think? You look like an annalising sort, saw you doig so earlier."
"What am I looking at?" His voice betrayed the blank look he was desperatly tring to hide.
"The forest, the land. Everything! Do you not see it?" I asked hopelessly, "I've spent all my life in forests, hiking all over England with my dad, and this place... It looks nothing like anywhere else" My oh-so-wonderful anger started to boil over, "Please... Just see what I see." I begged placing my hands on either side of his head.

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni