z

Young Writers Society

The S&M Recon - Request Only

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Mai Lin

I stood back on the beach and listened to Dustin and Silvan talk. Their strategy was right, but not the best answer. Sure we needed water and shelter, but since this was not just any survival excursion, we also needed to know that the other teams weren't near our position. For all we knew, all the teams could have been placed on the same beach. We didn't even know how big the island was. I thought about speaking up, but I wanted to be sure that I had a solution first. We needed something that we could defend easily. I cave preferably, but all I saw was forest and sand.

It would be easy for me to hide in the trees for a little while, but there was no guarantee for a stay any longer than one night per hiding spot before we risked getting spotted. We needed a home base of some sort that would always be safe. I walked away from the group making sure noone saw me and a little ways into the forest. Again, all there was was trees and greenery. I chose the tallest tree I could find and started climbing. All I needed was the insurance that there wasn't any other team nearby.

At the top of the tree I got a glimpse of how big the island was. I couldn't see everything, but the forest seemed to stretch on forever and the beach was deserted on every side stretching into the distance. In a way, that was a good thing. We didn't need to worry too much about other teams early on so we can get our bearings but there was also the chance that this whole ordeal could last much longer than we hoped. A little water could last a day, but we would soon need to find a way to get it constantly.

I looked down at my little group. They didn't seem to have noticed that I was gone. Probably still strategizing. I never said much to them in training. Not that I completely agreed with anything, but none of them were complete idiots so I let them talk it out. I knew that they wouldn't want to die any more than me. I looked around once more for a sign of life with no success then climbed down and rejoined the group. I guess there wasn't anything to report on my end. I never saw any sign of a good place to set up base anyways.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:25 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Laila:

I pushed my already growing back bangs from my eyes and listened in on what they were talking about. A little bit bored, I pulled out my swords and ran my hand over the sharp blade, cutting my palm and watching the little bit of blood settle ontop. Casually, I wiped the blood on my pants.

"We need to make sure we're up high, are covered, but can see everything. We also have to make sure that we're not in a cave or something with no way out of it, because a.) you can get trapped in a cave and b.) you can't see your surroundings. Also, we need to make sure that where we are, if people find us, they have the idea that if they wanted to, they could just back down. Because if you corner them, they'll fight their heart out trying to survive ." I said in a very matter-of-fact voice.

*Sorry, limited on time*
Live, Love, Laugh

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:53 pm
ultraviolet says...

Dustin Moore

Dustin noticed Lin creeping back into the group near the back; had she gone somewhere? In training, he was never sure if she was around or not, she was always in and out without making a sound or drawing attention to herself. He had a feeling, though, that she was doing her job; scouting.

He walked over to her. "Lin," he said while she was still here and he thought only she could hear him. "While we search on ground, go ahead and search for water sources, okay?"

She nodded; he guessed that was a yes.

Dustin did a three-sixty of the place - a flat, endless beach on one side, thick forests on the other. The air was fairly cool, thanks to a sea breeze, but inside the forest was probably hot and sticky. He wasn't sure if it'd be freezing that night or not - the landscape wasn't strictly tropical or strictly temperate - the trees were a sort of in between, too. He wasn't the nature addict; he'd have to ask Silvan later.

But for now, there were more important things.

Before they set out, Laila said, "We need to make sure we're up high, are covered, but can see everything. We also have to make sure that we're not in a cave or something with no way out of it, because a.) you can get trapped in a cave and b.) you can't see your surroundings. Also, we need to make sure that where we are, if people find us, they have the idea that if they wanted to, they could just back down. Because if you corner them, they'll fight their heart out trying to survive ."

"Good point," he said to Laila. "Anyone else have any good points?"
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:20 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Mai Lin

Finding water was a good idea and I thought about all the possible places to find it as I snuck back into the forest. I didn't want to stray too far from the group before I knew where I was, but I also knew that if we were going to find anything of use, it would be somewhere in the forest. When I was on the tree, I didn't see any obvious sources of water, but the leaves were too dense to see through. I would have to stick to the ground if I was going to find anything.

I snuck around as silently as possible and listened to the forest around me. I was still close enough to hear my group behind me but far enough in that I couldn't see them. As long as I stayed within ear-shot, I felt pretty safe that I wouldn't get lost. The farther in I went, the denser the forest became. The ground was wet from past rainfalls that didn't evaporate. If we became desperate, the water on the ground would be a source of water, but not a very good one. But there was a bright side, if the ground could stay wet like that, chances are, there would be a stream or something nearby.

Sharp leaves and sticks cut at my hands and other exposed parts of my body as I pushed through looking for something to drink. I was moving slowly and carefully, but was still making some noise. There was no way I would be able to sneak up on someone, but there was also no way anything could sneak up on me. I paused for a second listening for my group. Sure enough I could hear them, but they were getting faint. I was pretty far away but still within exceptable limits.

It wasn't that anybody in my group was being loud or anything. Actually, they were very quiet and another person would be able to walk right by them without noticing their voices. It was that I had very sensitive hearing and was able to pick out a human voice over the sounds of birds and wind in the trees even though I had no clue what they were actually saying.

I pushed past another bush and found a small stream running towards the ocean. I scooped up the water with my hands. It was cold and almost crystal clear. Looked to be fresh too. I took a sip of it and it tasted just fine. It seemed to be running downhill as well so if we followed it, we may actually find a good shelter before nightfall. Well, considering our situation, at least we had an upside for the time being. Hopefully noone saw it before we did though. I took another quick drink and followed it back down to the beach to meet up with my team. Now, I had something to report.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:28 am
Calligraphy says...

Silvan Black

Lin slid back into view, a small smile on her face.

"Did you find anything?" Dustin asked turning to her.

"Actually, there is a stream up ahead. It isn't too big, but it is more than a creek. The water looked pretty clean so I tasted some and it was fresh."

"That's great." Dustin paused for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed, obviously in thought. "What way does the stream point?" He finally asked.

"That way upstream, to the hilly part of the island, and that way downstream to the ocean. Of course it might change course pretty quickly right?

"O.K, well, our plan can stay pretty much the same. We will follow the river upstream on the look out for shelter. Once we find a pretty good place we can concentrate on finding food and building a place where we can resist if we are attacked. While we do this we can keep a look out for the other teams. Sound good everyone?"

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 am
Sunshine says...

Olive Stars

I nodd at Silvan's words, looking down at my shoe's. I know my opinion matters and all, but I also know that my specialty lays in healing: where I would be truly needed. The island was a gorgeus place. The weather was soft and perfect, the trees tall and green, and the grass soft under my beat up old converse.

"Sound's great." The tough looking girl, Laila says.

We all begin the walk up stream, a soft silence wafting around us. We didn't know each other very well yet, but we all know that we would. Something comes to my mind.

"The river water isn't salt water, is it?"

Salt water would be drinkible, but fresh water would be ten times better. Twenty times, even. Silvan leans down dipping his finger in it and licking it.

"Fresh. It's an inland source, which is good."

I nodd, relieved. A frown crosses Mai Lin's dainty features. Dustin noticed it as soon as I did.

"What's wrong Mai Lin?" he prompted softly.

"If it's fresh, it probably won't be long until the other groups come and notice it. If we're to close..." She leaves the last part hanging, but we are all smart enough to figure it out what she meant.

I play with my small fanny pack that carried all my medical supplies. I ran through the list in my head, by habit. Bandages. Check. Knife. Check. Medical tape. Check. Thread and needle. I gulped. Check. I'd hate to use it, because that would mean a serious injury.

"We'll try and make our camp off the river, close enough for water, far enough to get attacked. Sound good?" Dustin asked.

We all agreed, and continued moving. There was some idle chit-chat, but very little strategic material. I drift off, living loosely in both words. The breeze sweeps through my braids, lifting them up and around my face. I dearly hoped I wasn't needed. I loved what I could do: I was often told how talented I was; but, these people shouldn't need to be injured. It'd be scary. Real. I notice that we're still along the river and we're slowing down: looking for shelter. I spot a low hangover of trees, a very sheltered hollow of trees.

"What about that?" I say, pointing towards the knot.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:30 am
Camulaeus says...

Hey I'm sorry but I can't do his anymore: got a bad term grade and parents are cracking down on my schooling.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin