z

Young Writers Society

Arranged Marriages (second try...) ~Restarted~

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 am
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Rayven
"Duel!" Briac shouted and I stared at him tears in my eyes. I couldn't do anything now no one could. All we could do was stand and watch. I flinched as Briac was nearly struck a life-ending blow with Jackson's sword. No one's words registered not even Briac's all I could do was listen to the swords clang against each other and next thing I knew it ended. Jackson and Briac were both gone. “I’m afraid,” said one of the kings who stepped forward to speak, “that this royal ball is compromised. Everyone must leave post-haste. Myself and my kingdom will not step back into the wars we have left behind us because of this incident.” It was the Harrowian king...Rosemary's and Jackson's father. Everyone nodded in agreement even my own father. "But..." Mother shot me a warning glance and I fell silent. This was supposed to end the wars not threaten a new one. I couldn't bear it days on end of waiting to hear if Briac had fallen father. Treating the wounded soldiers telling their families they'd passed on. I didn't want to do it again I couldn't! I felt panic well up I hefted my skirts and ran with everything I had. I heard someone shout my name but ignored it. I ran outside underneath the star spotted sky. It I slipped into the stables that housed Evans and walked to his home. I went inside and threw my arms around his neck. I started to sob hard. "Evans I don't want this again. I wanted the pain to be over why?" I sobbed. He whickered as if in understanding and I just sobbed all the harder.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

They gave a low bow and I couldn't help the tears that threatened my eyes.

"Thank you, thank you both." I said, looking up at them with a kind smile, "Do you think....you could give him a message for me? Briac I mean."

"Of course, Princess Rosemary." Mariana agreed.

"Please," I corrected, "just Rosemary. But could you ask him," I felt my cheeks flush and looked down to my lap as I finished, "If he could still love me tomorrow?"

Mariana and Gray exchanged a secret look and nodded, going off to share my message. I just continued to sit with the horse.

Looking up at the creature I muttered, "Future Queen of Bryni, sitting with a horse in nothing but a slip, er hair filled with hay, her cheeks stained with tears, and blood down her arms. I think there's still glass in them, too. But do you want know something? I was never supposed to be queen. After all, I have to older brothers. It would take a million years."

I was silenced, however, by sobbing that was no longer my own. Attempting not to make any noise I carefully rise to my feet and peered over the short wall to see Princess Rayven with her arms embracing a horse.

Following my feet I found myself leaving the horse I had found and moving towards her. Standing in the new stable, I watched her for a moment.

"My brother is an idiot when it comes to Tristan." I said, watching as her head snapped up to see me, "but he's not stupid. I promise no one will be going back to war."

Slowly approaching the horse, I rest a hand on its nose and gave her an affectionate smile, "You know, I've never had a sister, only brothers."

She began to cry again, but this time laughing, "I haven't either."

We stood silently for a moment, then she piped up, "You know, I aided wounded soldiers. I can fix your arms."

Looking down at them, I frowned, "No, I'll leave it for now. It will make Jackson feel guilty later."

We laughed and I added, "Besides, I'm waiting for a message."

August

After I saw Saja off to her room I took Aris to hers, where we both sat now, the air slightly tense. She sat at the desk, reading a letter just delivered to her by a guard, and I stood leaning near the window and missing the ocean.

"Won't you miss the ocean in that bowl of sand?" I offered to break the silence.

"Of course August. But I'll come visit." She offered.

We both knew this wasn't about the ocean.

"Aris....he just tried to kill someone." I said somberly, "Right before your very eyes."

"Are you claiming to be free of blood on your hands? I know all about the battle in the woods, Travis told me." She argued.

She rose and started for the door, stopped by my inquiry, "Where are you off to, Aris?"

"You worry too much, brother. I'm just getting some air. I'll be back. Go to sleep."

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:49 am
Shadowlight says...

Briac

“Damnation!” I hissed as I probed the wound on my side, it wasn't deep or very large- but anything on your ribs hurts like hell. My hand came away wet with blood and I stared at it for a long moment, no longer sitting on my bed, but laying on a battlefield- my face slashed open and choking on my own blood. The iron cloy sent of it reeking in my nostrils, it's sickening warmth sliding down my face and into the grass... The sound of the dyings screams and unable to escape- I trembled

“I-I'm going to die....” I murmured in the half darkness of my room.

“Don't be Silly.” I started violently and looked towards the door, my mother stood there hands on her hips. Her eyes flashing, “don't be a fool Briac. No one ever died from a knife scratch.”

“M-mama....” I looked guiltily over my room- I had torn in apart earlier, my emotions getting the better of me. She held up a hand as I began to apologize.

“You are like your father, you can't contain your anger when roused beyond a certain point. As long as you don't hurt those who need you tearing apart a room is permissable. You don't do it often.” She came into the room and cupped my face in her hands- running her soft fingers over my cheeks- smiling softly. “You kept your honor my son, none of this was your fault. You acted rightly.”

“ Mama I killed their brother...”

“In battle, it was without malice.” She sat me down and began examining my side I could see her jaw tighten- muttering softly she began to clean it. “Too many... you have too many of these my son.” I shrugged, gritting my teeth as she bathed the wound.

“It isn't deep... it won't pain me for long Mama.” There was a long pause as she cleaned and bandaged my chest, then she looked up- meeting my eyes.

“Why didn't you tell them the truth? About your battle with Prince Tristan?” I looked away.

“Mama...”

“ I want to know- why did you lie?”

“Because he is a hero in their eyes... I don't want to stain the memory of a beloved brother.” My mother sniffed and stood to her feet.

“He fought with no honor on that battlefield- wielding a tainted blade. No honorable knight uses a poisoned blade.”

“Mama, leave it. He is dead and I am alive- there is the end of it. Let the dead lay in peace, no need to dig up corpse that are bones.” she cupped my face and kissed my fore head.

“ Alright, I will let him lay.” she patted my cheek, “Tomorrow is a new day, we will see what tomorrow brings, if we can salvage these unions. I do not want to see you or your father riding out to war again.” her lip trembled “I want you both to die white haired old men, I know it is not honorable and I should not think it- but the thought of either of you coming home on your shields...” I pulled her close,

“Mama don't think like that- Neither of us is dying or going to war. We're both here, and safe.” a knock sounded at my door and I looked over- two persons stood there. I walked towards them- I coulnd't see their faces in the half light of my bedroom- one was a woman, the other a man- they both bowed.

“My Lord.” The woman spoke, “We have a message for you From Princess Rosemary.”

“R-r-rosemary?!” my mouth went dry and I could feel my hands begin to sweat. My mother came to my side.

“What does she have to say?” The woman looked uncertainly between me and my mother,

“It was a message for Prince Briac Milady...” she spoke almost apologetically.

“What nonsense is this? Tell me at once what the girl wants.”

“The Princess wants to know if you Will still love her tomorrow Milord.” The man looked at me, hands crossed on his chest.

“Sh-she said th-th-that?” My eyes wide, how could this be? How could Rosie still... still want me? I looked between the two messengers they only nodded. “Where is the Princess now?”

“In the stables milord.” Nodding silently and hurried past them and into the hall- and out the great doors towards the stables. I heard voices inside- One belonged to my sister, the other Rosie's sweet musical voice- I stopped in the doorway- listening.

"You know, I've never had a sister, only brothers." Rosie said- petting my sister's horse with her,
"I haven't either." Rayven said- half crying and half laughing, "You know, I aided wounded soldiers. I can fix your arms." My sweet baby sister- always thinking of others...

"No, I'll leave it for now. It will make Jackson feel guilty later." Rosie said giggling brightly- a warm sound- like sunshine on green summer leaves. I watched the girls for a while longer- until Rayven left sometime later, leaving Rosie petting the horses alone- her arms and hands bleeding. Something stirred within me- seeing her hurt, Seeing her so vulnerable- I stepped into the light of the lanterns hung on the stable walls and walked towards her.

“Briac!” she cried, surprised, angry.... I knew not but I didn't pause- I walked right up to her and looked down at her sweet face, my heart twisting painfully- only imagining what pain I had caused her by taking away her brother. “Briac?” Her voice shook with...Oh god- was that fear I heard in her voice?

I dropped to my knees before her wrapping my arm about her and burying my face against her.

“ I am so sorry Rosemary,” I trembled all over holding her close- listening to the sound of her heart beat. “ God Rosie, If I could live that day over I would have let him strike me down... I am so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you so. It was a battlefield, and I only sought to defend myself- please believe me I didn't seek to kill Tristan.” I waited for her reply- for her cries of anger, of hatred, but the silence dragged on, then I felt her gentle fingers in my hair- Was she playing with my curls?

“Briac...” Her soft voice was barely audible, fingers gently toying with my hair. I waited holding my breath for her reply.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

11 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:54 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

The velvet nose of Rayven's horse slid easily beneath my fingers, the horse breathing heavily as its dark eyes watched me carefully in the dim light. The shift in light caught both of our attentions and we both turned to look at our intruder. I squinted my eyes to make out the shape of the man standing in front of the light, but it took me only a moment to recognize him.

“Briac!” I cried, surprised that he came rather than sending a message. To think, the two of us alone, and so late this time!

He responded not, rather marched right up to me and looked down at me. His eyebrows were furrowed, his eyes dark with pain, his forehead creased and jaw tending.

“Briac?” I said again, his expression and the way he towered over me worrying me.

Much to my suprise, he dropped to my knees in front of me, wrapping his arm easily around me and burying his face against me. With my surprise and his weight I would have toppled over if it weren't for the way he held me.

“I am so sorry Rosemary,” He remarked, his entire body trembling as he held me closer to him, his height allowing him to rest his head against my breast. “ God Rosie, If I could live that day over I would have let him strike me down... I am so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you so. It was a battlefield, and I only sought to defend myself- please believe me I didn't seek to kill Tristan.”

Words escaped me entirely, and I looked down to watch him, his eyes closed tightly and his hold on me leaving no room between us. Hesitantly, I reached my hands up towards his blonde curls, sifting them through my fingers, my unexpected touch causing him to jump slightly.

“Briac...” I whispered, pulling the tie from his hair and running my hand through his curls. Tugging his hair back from his forehead, I leaned down and placed a soft kiss upon it, mumbling, "Would you like for me to have lost you, too?"

His eyes snapped open, and I placed a kiss at the corner of his left eye, "Don't you believe in fate? A chain reaction, perhaps?" Placing a kiss on his cheek, I continued, "You see, none of this would have happened. We would still be at war, don't you see? We would have lost more people. Everything would be different." Kissing the line of his jaw, I finished, "And I would not know you. He's gone, Briac. You're not."

I traced the outline of his mouth gentley, looking at him with affection. He closed his eyes again, whispering, "Rosie, don't."

Disregarding what he said, I cupped his face and placed a soft kiss on his lips, then pulled back and whispered, "It's okay, Briac. It's okay."

Looking him over, I realized the mess I had left behind, my blood staining his shoulders and neck, lacing his hair, and smudged across his face. "I'm afraid I've made made a mess of you Briac."

"A little more blood won't hurt." He smiled, taking my hand and placing it against his side.

"Briac," I whispered with a smile, "You're not wearing a shirt, do you know that?"

Looking up at me with a smile in his eyes, he replied, "Do you know you're dressed only in a slip?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

42 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 pm
Shadowlight says...

Saja:

His last words played over and over again in my mind. His face, his smile- everything about him seemed so fresh, so new- so... so wonderful. I twirled and landed on my bed- hugging my pillow to me.

...August. Even his name was so wonderful-I sighed heavily and kicked off my silk slippers. It was too bad those two princes had to ruin the ball for everyone else. August was going to dance with me again, but instead he hurried me to my room- something about it not being safe.

I got up and changed into my nightgown- brushing out my hair and thinking about August- Just everything about him, his smile, the sound of his voice, his smell- he smelled like the outdoors, like green trees and Pine needles. I sighed heavily- and twirled about my room again.

“Well my love, you seem to be happy. At least someone is.” I started and looked towards my door- my father stood there smiling at me. I ran to his open arms and hugged him, his large rough hands patted my head, “Do you like him Love? Do you Like Prince August?” I nodded furiously- grinning ear to ear and scrambling to the vanity that was in the room I caught up my pen and paper.

~Oh yes Papa I like him. He's so nice and he doesn't mind that I can't talk and he danced with me! He wanted to- no one made him he really just wanted to!~

Chuckling my father read my note- but I saw his brows draw together.

“ I see, well....” Something was wrong- I grabbed his big hand, he met my eyes and I was he was troubled, I tugged his sleeve- urging him to speak. “Saja, I am sorry love but you and he might not be wed. His parents are concerned about this- what happened tonight. I was speaking with his father and he doesn't think marriages will solve our kingdoms problems.... I am sorry love.” My stomach turned bottom side up, I felt the tears come- I didn't realize I had accepted that I was going to belong to August- I hadn't realized I wanted to... but now- now that is was being taken away. I burst into tears and clung to my father. His strong arms wrapped about me and lifted me- carrying my like I was a small girl again.

“Shh, oh Saja I'm sorry. I didn't realize... Do you love him?” I shook my head, face buried against his velvet doublet. “Then why are you crying Love?” He handed me my pencil and paper and I scribbled a note- tears falling on the page..

~I like his a lot Daddy, I want to marry him. He likes me, he talks to me.~ He cupped my face in his hands.

“I see, Well Love- I'll see what I can do.” He kissed my cheek, tucked me in, then left the room, left me alone with my tears.

I cried for what seemed like an hour but the hands on the clock had only moved a quarter of that time. I sat up in the darkness, my mind made up. Slipping from my bed I went to my Vanity and lit the lamp- taking a pice of paper I began to write.

~Dear Prince August,
I hope you enjoyed the party tonight, I know I did. Dancing with you was the most fun I've had in a long time. I love dancing and most of the time I don't get to dance at balls. Unlike you most of the boys are afraid of me.~

Frowning I started again, I needed to tell him something- what that was I wasn't sure.

~Prince August,
I had such a wonderful time dancing with you, and talking with you tonight- I hope you feel the same. I'm not sure why I am writing this but I want to, I want to talk to you again. You're so good and kind to me, nicer then any Man or boy has ever been.~

I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and chewed my lip- trying to think of what to write next.

~I'm sorry the party had to end on such a bad note, and that we couldn't talk more. And how all the Kings are so angry now... Daddy says your Father doesn't want to go through with the marriges anymore, that we might not be married. And that makes me sad...~

Stopping I read what I had written, the lamp fizzled and I had to relight it.

~~And that makes me sad. You are so good and kind to me, you care.... No ones ever cared before- no one besides Daddy and Mama. I'm sad we won't get married. I wanted to. I could love you, I know I could, it wouldn't be hard to love you August. I was excited to marry you, to learn everything about you, to learn about your home- I wanted you to meet Tam- he's my best friend. But now, now you might not get too.

Anyway- I'm running on with this letter, I don't know why I even wrote it, I just wanted to say more to you, to...even be friends. Even if we don't get married and all the bad things happen again, I'd like us to be friends- you're the first person who actually talked to me. Mama and Daddy try but they're so busy and worried about the kingdom, and my brother Rhay is so sad all the time... You made me happy. Even if it was only for two dances- I feel really happy still. Its like when I fly with Tam, I felt happy...free. I felt normal.

Goodnight August, Thank you for what you've done for me- even if it doesn't go any further I won't forget tonight as long as I live.

Princess Saja~

Quickly I folded up the note, put on my robe and headed into the darkened hallway towards the rooms that were given to August and his family. I looked at the three doors and found the one marked for the prince. Kneeling I tried to slip the letter under the door, but the sill of the door blocked it- I didn't want anyone else to find the note... I laid my hand on the doorknob- heart almost failing me. Was I really going to put a note in a mans room? This wasn't proper.... I turned the knob and it yielded, Pushing the door open I peeked in- the room was dark and I thought I heard August's soft sleep breathing. The room smelled like Leather and Pine- just like August. I stole in- trying to be quiet as a mouse- I bumped into a table and I froze- he slept on. I set the letter on the table and turned for the door- but Oh Merciful gods I didn't know where the door was! I was totally disoriented in the dark room. In a dark room with a handsome prince sleeping not to far away. I felt around the room- bumping into things and praising the Gods that August seemed to be such a heavy sleeper...

Spoiler! :
Have fun with this one Livy. XD

42 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

“Briac...” She whispered- so soft I barely heard her. Her hands still playing with my hair- pulling the tie that held it somewhat out of my face. I shivered- her hands were so soft- so gentle. She brushed the curls from my forehead, then I felt her lips on my brow and I looked up at her- she.... she just kissed me! "Would you like for me to have lost you, too?" I couldn't speak- words ad even coherent thought escaped me. Her soft lips touched the corner of my ruined eye and I suppressed another shiver- her hands never leaving my hair.

"Don't you believe in fate? A chain reaction, perhaps?" She kissed my cheek and I wanted to stop her- to say all the pretty delicate speeches other men said to their intendeds. But my tongue seemed glued to the inside of my mouth. "You see, none of this would have happened. We would still be at war, don't you see? We would have lost more people. Everything would be different."

Yes it would be different, I thought- she would still have her brother, she wouldn't be bound to me, to a disfigured half man. Her delicate hands turned my face up to hers- her soft lips- god her lips, trailed soft butterfly kisses down my jaw- over every scar. What was she doing to me? Why was she doing this?! "And I would not know you. He's gone, Briac. You're not."

Could it be possible? I had only met this girl the night before- could it be possible she actually.... she might be developing something for me? Why would she? I killed her brother, I was her enemy- I wasn't the prince these girls dreamed of. They dreamed of Handsome princes with whole bodies. Not broken warriors who woke up in cold swears tormented by the ghosts of the men they killed.

Her fingers traced the outline of my lips and my heart almost failed me- was she? Was she going to....

“R-rosie don't...” The words came out without me meaning to- this wasn't right- but Gods above I wanted her to. I wanted to taste her lips- were they as sweet at they looked?

She cupped my face in her hands and gently- barely touching them she kissed my lips, then she pulled back and I felt somehow bereft. I opened my eyes and looked up. “It's okay Briac, it's okay.” she murmured softly, fingers trailing over my face again- I didn't want her to stop, ever. She looked at me, really looked at me and I waited- what was she going to do now? "I'm afraid I've made made a mess of you Briac."

Yes she had, she had made a mess of me, ruined me. I was content as I was before. I was content to simply live out my life as a warrior- to be king after my father and leave Bryni to Rayven's children. I was going to die alone- and I had been content to be so. Until She breezed so easily into my life. Until her bight eyes and musical voice invaded every facet of my soul. Until she started putting thoughts into my head that maybe marriage for me wouldn't be an act of duty, that maybe it would be full of love at well. Until she kissed me and I felt her heartbeat- how right she felt in my arm, how I wanted her to be there always...Did I love her? I couldn't answer that-I had only met her that morning, but could I learn to love her? Would loving Rosemary come easily to me? Gods above yes.

Her hands on my face brought me out of my revery and I felt her fingers slick with blood.

"I'm afraid I've made made a mess of you Briac." she repeated and I realized she had meant what she said literally.... not the mess she made of my soul. I stood- wincing slightly as my side reminded me it was still an open wound. I chuckled and placed Rosie's hand over the spot- on the bandages my mother had wrapped around me.

“A little more blood won't hurt.” She colored softly and smiled up at me.

“Briac,” she whispered- cheeks growing redder, “you're not wearing a shirt- do you know that?”

...no I hadn't known that- Oh god I had run out of my room without putting my tunic back on! II felt my cheeks go hot then I looked down at Rosie and my heart leaped into my mouth- she was in her underthings! I am ashamed of it but I am only a man, and my eyes raked over her for a long moment- thinking very impure thoughts about sweet little Rosemary before I contained them.

“do you know,” I said smiling shyly, “That you are only dressed in a slip?” Her bright laughter made me relax and I took her hand, “L-l-let me help y-you Princess? Your w-w-wounds need cl-cle-cleaning.”

“Oh no it's fi-” I cut her off,

“P-please?” she blushed but nodded and I put my arm about her waist and led her from the stable, and along back passages to my rooms- I didn't know where her's was and I had things for healing in my small parlor. Knowing how wrong this all was I tried to suppress a shiver of having this beautiful, barely clothed maiden in my room. To my surprise my room was neat and orderly- how It normally was- my mother. I could see her hand in this a mile off. Smiling softly I went to my clothes chest and pulled out a shirt for myself and another for Rosie- I handed the white tunic to her.

“H-here.” I blushed to my ears- trying and failing to keep my eyes off her slender form in that thin slip. It was almost a dress on her small frame and I chuckled- hurrying to my desk where I kept a small first aid kit. Taking this and a basin of water to where she stood I had her sit on a footstool. Let me s-s-see your a-arms.” She held them out and my heart twisted- the cuts weren't bad, but I had caused these too. “I-I-I'm so s-s-s-sory Rosie.” I stammered as I bathed her arms in the basin of water- cleaning the many small cuts, her face tightened- I knew she was in pain.

“It's alright Briac.” she said smiling “you were trying to protect me.” I nodded- pulling a few small bits of glass from her right arm.

“Yes, but I-i-in D-doing s-so I h-hurt you.” I frowned, “Th-that is not p-p-protecting.... I c-caused you more h-hurt.” she shrugged,

“but you were trying to, that's as good as protecting.” I could see we weren't going to agree on this. I ripped up the bandages into thinner strips and began to bind her arms- trying to be gentle. My mind whirring with a thousand things I wanted to say to her, to ask her, to do to her..... I shook myself hard as the last thoughts tried creeping into my mind.

“Ro-rosemary...” I began- trying my best not to stutter. “D-do, you th-th-think you could be h-happy h-here? W-with me?” I forced the last words out before my courage failed. She looked at me wide eyed

“I-I,” It was her turn to stammer, “I think so...why?” I cupped her small face in my hand- calloused fingers tracing her perfect features.

“Because, I-I want you t-to b-b-be mine.” she gasps softly, hands fisting in my shirt

“Briac....” she murmured softly- I could feel she was trembling. I pulled her face to mine and kissed her. I needed to know what her lips really felt like, what she tasted like. My hand tangled in her long hair- pulling her against me.

She tasted like honey, like sunshine. She smelled incredible- like a field of wildflowers. I felt like I was drowning and I didn't want to be rescued. I wanted to drown forever. She just felt so right in my arms...

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:51 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Rayven
"Goodnight Rosemary I hope the answer to your message arrives soon." I said smiling at my new sister. I knew it had I had heard Briac enter the stables. I hugged her before leaving her with Evans. "Briac if you're going to go I suggest do it now." I said softly to my elder brother as I continued my way out of the stables. I heard a small gasp of surprise then his footsteps. Then I heard Rosemary's first surprised gasp of my brothers name then nothing as I continued to the castle. "Oh, Rayven have you seen your brother?" Mother asked. I smiled and nodded. "He is making amends Mama don't worry." I replied my tone light. "You never got your dance did you?" She asked. I nodded. "But, no matter mayhaps Prince Rhay and I will dance at our wedding." I said my tone still light. "Goodnight Mama." I added kissing her cheek lightly. She left the front hall and out of curiousity I went to the ballroom. The servants were still cleaning it up talking at their leisure. "Oh, Princess Rayven!" One of them gasped and they all stopped to bow or curtsy. I laughed softly. "No need for that. How may I help you?" I asked. "B-but My Lady...." One of them started and I held up a hand. "Please." Was all I added. They all exchanged a glance then gave me a list. I smiled and got to work. Soon we were all chatting about castle gossip which was more interesting then usual since we had more than one kingdom for the first time in over a decade. No more than an hour later the work was done and I felt very proud of myself. "Thank you everyone goodnight." I said waving. "Goodnight Princess Rayven." They all chorused at once. I went upstairs to my room and found myself not tired which was unusual. Most of the time as soon as I was able I was asleep on my bed and awake in the morning. Speaking of morning it looked like a beautiful one blooming outside the castle windows. I sighed then changed into my riding dress and boots. Instead of grabbing my saddle however I grabbed my quiver and my bow. I knew it would be cold so I slipped on a cloak the color of holly leaves. I left the castle heading to the archery range. I set my quiver down and knocked the first arrow into place. I loosed it smiling as it found its mark. I continued down the targets when at the last one I heard a grumble or something like it. I set my bow down and went over to the cliffside. I had to suppress a gasp. There was a dragon by the ocean and I couldn't help but wonder did he belong to Saja or Rhay? I made my carefully down the cliffside until I was no more than 5 meter or so from the dragon whom appeared to be sleeping. I sat carefully on a rock so I could watch the ocean keeping an eye on the dragon as well.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

11 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 pm
Liv says...

August

"Aris, what are you doing?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes, still half asleep as it was the noises that had startled me to open my eyes.

She froze, and I muttered, "What is it Aris?"

When she made neither a movement nor noise, I shifted over to on side of the bed and threw back the blanket.

"Did you come to lay with me?" I asked, as she often did. She seemed taken aback, and moving to go, where I'm not sure, but hit her foot against something and yelped.

"Aris? Please, I'm sorry I got cross with you earlier. I'm not angry anymore, I promise."

She fumbled around, heading for the door, so I stepped out of bed, "Aris? What's wrong?"

I caught her by her arm, squinting through the dark to see her face.

"Wh...Saja?" I whispered, "Is that you?"

Her large eyes stated back at me, frightened, as I asked, "What are you doing here??"

Realizing my own stupidity, I released her arm and moved to light one of the lanterns on the desk. When the flame illuminated the room, Saja moved to leave, but I spotted a letter on the desk.

Holding up my hand, I motioned for her to sit and said, "Please stay. Did you leave this for me?"

She looked about the room for a seat, she nodded and settled for my trunk at the foot of the bed. I took the letter in my hands and broke the seal, opening the paper to read it. Scanning my eyes over her message, I could see her shifting uncomfortably.

My eyebrows knitting together, I looked up from her letter and informed her, "I had no idea my father said this."

She blinked at me, her cheeks flushed with red. Moving to the bed, I slid her letter under my pillow and approached her, taking her face in my two hands.

"I'll fix this, okay Saja?" I whispered, smiling at her with affection, "I'll fix this for you."

Taking my clothes from the hamper, I stole behind the partition and changed in to my trousers and tunic from the day we first arrived. Emerging from behind it I sat on the edge of my bed and pulled on my boots, looking over at Saja as she motioned for my attention.

I stood, taking my sword and putting it in its sheath, as she motioned for something to write on.

Shaking my head, clasped the sword to my side and said apologetically, "I'm sorry, I've never been one for writing, I don't have any paper or ink."

She frantically began using her hands to write in the air, and I squinted to make it out, "What am I going to do?"

She nodded furiously, and I responded plainly, "I'm going to have a conference with the Kings and Princes. Go back to bed Saja, if you get caught in my room with me your father will never let me see you again."

I pulled open the heavy wooden door and made my way across the hall to my mother and father's room, pushing open the door and marching in.

"August!" My mother exclaimed, shocked at my unannounced entrance.

"Gather the other Kings, Queens, and Princes in the library in ten minutes. We need to talk. Now."

Rosemary

I shyly pulled Briac's tunic over my head to cover myself, the size of the shirt drowning me. Carrying the wash basin and medical supplies, he motioned for me to sit on the foot stool. As he set down the basin I contemplated telling him of the one I smashed, but couldn't muster the courage.

He quietly set out the supplies, so I let my eyes wander about his room...would we share this room, I wondered? This room, this space, this...bed? Or would that be labeled as improper, the two of us sharing a room? I hadn't a clue - what if it was different in Bryni than it was in Harrow?

"Let me s-s-see your a-arms.” He directed, breaking me from my thoughts. I stuck them out for him to see, but when his eyes darkened I instantly regretted it, having forgotten they were only there because he pushed me out of the way.

“I-I-I'm so s-s-s-sory Rosie.” He stammered, taking my arms to wash them.

“It's alright Briac.” she said smiling, trying to keep myself from flinching from the stinging in my arms, “you were trying to protect me.”

He simply nodded, pulling a few bits of glass from my arm.

“Yes, but I-i-in D-doing s-so I h-hurt you.” He argued , “Th-that is not p-p-protecting.... I c-caused you more h-hurt.”

Shrugging, I pointed out, "But you were trying to, that's as good as protecting.”

He quit arguing as it was obvious we were both set on our opinions, and instead he ripped up the bandages into thinner strips and began to bind my arms. I could se his hands shaking, taking great effort to be careful. As he wrapped my arms I saw him smile to himself, to his own thoughts I suppose, and I couldn't help but smile at him. He blinked a few times and shook his head, his smile disappearing. What had he been thinking about?

“Ro-rosemary...” He started, hindering me from giving his thoughts any thought of my own, “D-do, you th-th-think you could be h-happy h-here? W-with me?”

I felt my eyes widen, caught off guard. I had given thought to loving him but never to loving Bryni. Was there a difference, though? Did it matter of I loved him? Yet I would be so out of place here, a dark skinned dark haired silver eyed girl from the desert who knew nothing of horses and had just seen grass for the first time. I knew nothing of how Bryni royals were to act, nor Bryni couples. And how would I raise Brynian children? I knew nothing of that, either. The thought of having children with Briac caused a blush to rise on my cheeks, and I quickly dismissed the thought.

“I-I-I think so...why?” I finally replied, shocked at the sound of my own voice stuttering.

He reached his hand up to framed my face, tracing his fingers across in exploration.

“Because, I-I want you t-to b-b-be mine.” He stammered, his response far from what I had expected, the thought that he wanted me so surprising me, elicting a gasp and my hands to gather his shirt.

“Briac....” I whispered softly, at a complete loss of words and ability to move.

Surprising me yet again that night, he guided my face to his and placed a kiss on my lips. I responded without another thought, his hand lacing through my hair as he lifted me to stand with him and pulled me close to him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, taking in the smell of the outdoors I had spent my entire life longing for, drinking in the sweetness of his kisses and the taste of warm sugar his lips posessed. I found myself wanting to be closer to him, to feel his skin....but with a sudden knock on his door we found ourselves out of breath.

I bit down nervously on my lip, then whispered, "It's probably for the best."

We stared at each other for a moment, searching each other's eyes until there was another knock and a call, "Prince Briac? May I come in? I see your light on. There's an urgent meeting in the library with the Kings and Princes."

"Alright, I'll be there in a moment." He called back, and we quietly listened as the intruder's footsteps dwindled.

Smiling, I giggled, "You, sir, are going to get us in trouble."

"Y-you've already g-gotten me into trouble it s-seems." He teased with a smirk, his eyes dancing.

I erupted with laughter, only to have his hand pressed against my mouth, "Sssh, everyone i-is awake n-now."

I released my arms from his neck, realizing I had been on my tiptoes and he hunched over. Taking his hand from my mouth, "What an odd match we are, don't you think?"

He smiled, but said solemnly, "I'm a-afraid I have t-to g-go, Rosemary."

I nodded slowly, looking at the floor as he headed for the door.

"Briac," I called after him, "Would you like me to wait here for you? I'd rather like to hear what has to be said." Once it was out of my mouth I was shocked at my own boldness. Had I really just said that?

"Y-your f-family will be l-looking for y-you." I said, facing the door.

"But Briac...." I said sheepishly, "I don't know how to get back to my room."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jackson

We all sat around the table, sleep in our eyes and no clue as to why we were roused from our beds at this time. I just hoped Aris received my new letter informing her I had to come here rather than the tower. Rather than be with Aris, I was with the other Princes and their parents aswe waited for Briac to arrive.

After what seemed like forever, he barged in to the room, his hair not tied back for the first time since we had met and his cheeks flushed pink. What had he been doing? Surely not sleeping. He apologized as he took a seat next to his mother, and we all looked to August.

"Do you mind telling me why I was awoken at this ungodly hour?" The King of Draconia demanded, his wife placing a calming hand on his arm in response.

"Why are we here?" August repeated, then implored "Initially or at this moment, sir? Initially, because the princes and princesses of our kingdoms agreed to marry strangers, to marry in to the other kingdoms. Your highness, I'm sure none of us were exactly thrilled about it to start. But now we are here because none of us are strangers anymore, we have met and come to terms with getting married to whichever person, and that is now being threatened. Our lives are no longer abstract, rather they are very concrete."

"Are you saying I should hand my daughter over to Prince Short Temper over there? He just tried to kill someone before our very eyes!" The king of Yililia shouted.

I flinched, but quickly stood and defended, "Please, I beg you all to forgive me. Though what I did is unforgivable it was powered by something that you could never understand until you watch someone you love, someone you look up to lose their life. It is no excuse, I know, but my sister's kind heart helped me realize my wrong-doings. You see....she didn't give forgiving Briac a second thought, she understood and forgave him because that's who she is, though I have my suspicions that she forgave him before she even knew it was him. But I assure you that what I did is entirely out of character and I would never harm Aris nor anyone else."

Swallowing a lump in my throat, I faced the fact that I could not only lose Aris but Rosemary if I didn't fix this. Offering Briac my hand, I said, "I hope you and my sister will be very happy together, brother."

Briac stood, accepting my hand and shaking it heartily before we both took our seats.

"I still feel uneasy about this." The King of Bryni spoke up.

"Darling, leave it be. Let them wed." His wife urged. Her husband gaped at her as if she had lost her mind, and she shared a knowing glance with Briac before clarifying, "The boy apologized, and look at our son. When is the last time you've seen him so happy? I'll tell you, I haven't seen it in years."

"I have to agree with you." The king of Draconia said, suddenly interested, "Our darling Saja has never been happier. And perhaps I shouldn't say this, but earlier I caught her dancing about her room, smiling, happy, and it broke her heart when I told her she may not marry August."

It was August's turn to blush, and he stole a glance at his parents before he said, "Wouldn't we simply be doing more harm than good by calling it off?"

Briac shifted in his seat, then said, the first time I've heard him without a stutter, "You know, it's quite different, what you expect and what happens. As August said, I'm sure none of us were thrilled to be matched with strangers, and girls several years younger than us as well. But, in theory we all agreed to save our countries from war. But then we all met, and how can you face the person you know you are to marry....then have them taken away from you? I'll even venture to say, though perhaps I shouldn't....if all of the blood alliances do not stay intact....I think I should still like to marry Rosemary. And that's the difference between theory and reality."

I swear my mother's jaw nearly hit the floor, father's eyes nearly fell out of his head, and Briac's father looked like he had forgotten how to speak. The only one who didn't look remotely shocked was his mother, which I found quite curious.

Clearing my throat, I said, "And I Aris."

August took his cue and announced, "As would I with Saja."

Rhay looked about the room nervously, shocked and terrified to be put on the spot but i think it was the look he got from Briac that caused him to finally clear his throat and announce, "And i Rayven."

Our parents were silent for a moment before my father finally said, "Who ever thought it would be a good idea to put us in a room with four future kings?"

He got a good chuckle from the rest of the parents, and they all rose as Briac's father concluded, "Well, I believe I speak for us all when I say our sons will be great kings one day with our daughters by their sides."

Spoiler! :
hope this is quite alright, everyone!
Live, Love, Laugh

42 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm
Shadowlight says...

Spoiler! :
Sorry I didn't take this further- I just felt I needed to explain Briac's thoughts during all this- :3

Briac:

I sat in the council listening to everyone say their piece on whether or not we princes would marry the princesses intend for us. I listened quietly- picking a scab on my arm, and trying my best not to meet Jackson's eyes- even though I could feel them on me.

"Are you saying I should hand my daughter over to Prince Short Temper over there? He just tried to kill someone before our very eyes!" The Yillian king shouted angrily- I glanced up at the man- didn't he know why?

Prince Jackson stood quickly- eyes showing a thousand different emotions at once.

"Please, I beg you all to forgive me. Though what I did is unforgivable it was powered by something that you could never understand until you watch someone you love, someone you look up to lose their life. “

I understood that. I had watched dozens of friends, cousins, lose their life on an enemy's sword.

“It is no excuse, I know, but my sister's kind heart helped me realize my wrong-doings. You see....she didn't give forgiving Briac a second thought, she understood and forgave him because that's who she is, though I have my suspicions that she forgave him before she even knew it was him. But I assure you that what I did is entirely out of character and I would never harm Aris nor anyone else."

I believed him, I looked up at Jackson and met his eyes, I could see in them plainly the hurt, the hate, anger- and something else... He slowly offered his hand and I quickly stood and grasped it, shaking it heartily- and hoping this was the right thing... We Bryni don't often shake hands though I had seen other men do it

"I hope you and my sister will be very happy together, brother." I was lost for words, He may have Idolized his brother- but in my eyes Jackson was ten times the honorable warrior his dead brother had been.

:I still feel uneasy about this...” my father said, glancing at the slight form of Prince Rhay. And I understood his feeling. Rhay wasn't the kind of man either of us envisioned Rayven being bound to. He wasn't a warrior- he didn't even seem to be a man yet with peach-fuzz on his upper lip- did the boy even need to shave?

"Darling, leave it be. Let them wed. The boy apologized, and look at our son. When is the last time you've seen him so happy? I'll tell you, I haven't seen it in years." I looked at my Mother- how perceptive she was, even more so then me. Had I realized I was unhappy before I met Rosie?

The Draconian king spoke next- speaking of his little daughter- she was the youngest of the princesses, I remember my mother speaking of her earlier in the weeks leading up to the ball saying she was only a child- and my mother wondering if she even was capable of baring children at her tender age. I glanced at Prince August- he seemed a honorable man, he looked like a dark haired Bryni Lance and I had heard about his prowess in battle.

"I have to agree with you." The king of Draconia said "Our darling Saja has never been happier. And perhaps I shouldn't say this, but earlier I caught her dancing about her room, smiling, happy, and it broke her heart when I told her she may not marry August."

I wondered- had Rosie been that happy? Was she looking forward to marry me?

"Wouldn't we simply be doing more harm than good by calling it off?" Prince August ventured to say, looking at the patents in the room.

Slowly I stood- shuffling uncomfortably- I did not like speaking to groups outside of a battle field- but If I didn't. I might Lose Rosie and that I couldn't allow. Taking a deep breath I began,

“"You know, it's quite different, what you expect and what happens. As August said, I'm sure none of us were thrilled to be matched with strangers, and girls several years younger than us as well. But, in theory we all agreed to save our countries from war. But then we all met, and how can you face the person you know you are to marry....then have them taken away from you?” Then I met the eyes of the Harrow King and queen-of Rosies Father and Mother. “if all of the blood alliances do not stay intact....I think I should still like to marry Rosemary. And that's the difference between theory and reality." Then I stopped and shook my head, “No- I don't think, I know. I want to Marry Rosemary.” I held their eyes until I heard Jackson speak.

"And I Aris.”

"As would I with Saja." There was a long silence as all eyes turned to the Draconian prince- who looked ready to die of fright. He looked like a frightened rabbit, sitting there shaking in his boots. I narrowed my good eye on him- he was going to be married to my baby sister- he had to show some gumption, some pardon the expression- Balls.

"And i Rayven." The boy finally squeaked and I nodded, he better want to marry her....

A long low chuckle broke the awkward silence and we all looked at the Harrow king,
"Who ever thought it would be a good idea to put us in a room with four future kings?" I had to smile at this, and my father outright guffawed- banging his hand on the table,

"Well, I believe I speak for us all when I say our sons will be great kings one day with our daughters by their sides." With that, this council seemed to be over- our parents stood and milled about- shaking hands and talking of the unions- blushing to my ears I heard my mother loudly remark how she thought Rosie and I would have beautiful children, I didn't stay to hear my fathers reply to that- I loved my father dearly but he never could temper his remarks for mixed company. Bryni is a very blunt kingdom but I know the others think talking of those sorts of things- improper. I hurried from the room- heading back to my own- to Rosie.

I found her where I had left her- in my sitting room. She was wandering about- looking at all my things in the room. I stood in the doorway and watched her- wondering what she was thinking as she touched every one of my little nicknacks on the shelf, Wondering if she would want to share these rooms with me. I know in other kingdoms the royal couples do not share a room, a bed. Here in Bryni though- we do. My eyes followed her about the room- smiling softly- she belonged here, she belonged with me.

11 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:03 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

I traced my fingers over the edges of a small wooden horse, the small teeth marks on it giving the impression that it had been a baby's teething toy. How deeply rooted horses were here - even as babes they were taught to love them. The thought of my giant Briac being a small baby made me smile to myself as I moved on to the other trinkets and nicknacks, touching each lightly so not to break or disturb them.

Coming to the end of the shelf, I noticed a deep red velvet curtain, oddly not matching the drapes that hung at the windows of his rooms. Pushing the curtain aside, I was shocked to see not the outdoors but a painting.

The painting bore a horse that I recognized as the one I had ridden with Briac just that morning, beside it with a hand placed on its neck was, why, Briac himself, but not the one I knew. This one had too many limbs, was missing the design on his left half, and had an air of either melancholy or boredom, which I couldn't quite tell from the paints. Hesitantly, I reached to the painting, feeling the brushstrokes that paired to form Briac and his companion. It was all wrong.

"D-do you l-like it-t?" Someone said, causing me to immediately snatch my hand away from the painting and hide it behind my back as if I had done something wrong.

Seeing that it was Briac, I jutted out my chin and asked, "How long have you been there?"

Smirking, rather than answer he explained, "My m-mother made me p-p-pose for that not long bef-fore I left for battle, where....w-well, the obvious h-happened. She u-used to drag that chair over and s-sit and look at it w-while I was g-gone. She covered it-t up after I c-came home i-injured."

Dropping my hand back to my side, I looked from Briac to the painting, studying it for a moment before looking back and saying simpley, "He looks too sad."

Taking the steps to close the room's distance, I continued, "He looks sad, the horse is the wrong color, and you are much taller than that. What was the meeting all about?"

Smiling, he reached for me, wrapping his arm around my waist and resting his forehead against mine as he whispered, "You."

"Me?" I asked, surprised at the topic. What could they possibly say about me?

"And the other p-princesses." He clarified, his eyes trailing down to my mouth.

He moved to capture my mouth with his, but I quickly got in, "What about us?"

Sighing, he explained, watching me carefully, "There w-was talk of the unions b-breaking."

A gasp caught in my throat and I held tightly on to Briac's shirt, as if letting him go meant losing him.

"It was remedied." He quickly explained, "B-besides, even I-if they b-broke I would st-still m-marry you."

Beaming, I rose on my tiptoes and showered his cheeks with kisses.

"Why do you tease me?" He smirked, trying to move so I would place a kiss on his lips.

Blushing red, I placed a quick, soft kiss on his mouth and pulled back before suggesting, "I should be getting back to my room."

11 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm
Liv says...

August

"Travis!" I called, spotting my old friend and comrade on my way to speak with Saja.

"Prince August!" He called back, stopping to let me catch up to him.

"What did I tell you, old friend? Please, call me August." I urged, now caught up and we were able to resume our walk.

He gave a nod of understanding, and I couldn't help my sly smile as I said, "Since the start of the ball I started hearing talk of the battle together, about my swordsmanship and such. You wouldn't have anything to do with the arousal of that old thing, would you old friend?"

Sniffing, he smirked and defended, "I'm proud of my country."

Laughing, I gave him a pat on the back and said, "Well Travis, I'm going to have to bid you farewell here. I must talk with the young princess."

"Ah, yes, princess Saja, our youngest. How is the girl?"

My brow creased with worry, Travis' comment on her age not necessarily reminding me, as I knew she was young, rather pointing out just how young she really was.

"Quite well, actually. From what I've heard rather happy with our arrangement." I responded eventually, "Well. Goodnight, Travis."

"Goodnight, sir." He said, continuing his walk down the hall.

When his steps could no longer be heard, I turned to Saja's door and knocked lightly, only go have the door opened promptly and a notepad pushed eagarly towards me.

~Well what happened?~ it read. So she'd anticipated I'd come. I smiled at the thought, handing her her notebook back.

"I said I would fix it, did I not?" I said, my own smile brightening when her eyes began to dance.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 am
fictionfanatic says...

*going blind here so I hope it's okay :D I figured that we got all we got all we could out of this day so I'm starting a new one :D my thought is that everyone goes to a lake/meadow/wooded area and split off into couples to get to know their person better, but they wouldn't need a chaperone because they're technically all on the same place. So couples could be just the two or with others, doesn't matter :D*

Jackson

Shifting to lean on my side so to face Aris, I plucked at the blades of grass, getting a chance to feel it for the first time as I said, "I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet with you last night, Aris. Especially since it was my idea to start."

She turned her head to face me and I couldn't help but smile when I looked up, the early morning sun weaving through her red curls and she questioned, "What happened?"

Taking her delicate hand in my own, now stained green from the grass, and gentley kissed her fingers, answering, "Due to my faux-pas there was talk amongst the royal parents that there was too much discord between kingdoms to be salvaged by marriages."

I traced over the light dusting of freckles over her hand, not looking up as I finished, "We had a meeting, in the dead of the night, at which us princes banded together to fight for our princesses. I knew I could lose you...so I apologized and, frankly, begged for the unions to remain intact. It was not a sole effort though, the others were quite convincing. Especially my..." I toyed with the word in my mouth for a moment before finishing, "my brother, Briac."

Grasping her hand tightly, I squinted through the sun to look up at her as I said, "If you could forgive me, perhaps we could go speak with your brother and Saja? I would love to get the chance to prove to you and him both that I'm not a lunatic who has been in the sun too long."
Live, Love, Laugh

11 Reviews

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 am
Liv says...

August

I stuck close to the lake's edge, already missing the ocean back home despite the lack of days spent here. I don't know how Aris would ever last in the desert, so far from our beloved ocean.

"Watch out for water snakes." I warned Saja, glancing quickly at her small hand drowning in my own.

Unsettled, I slid my hand from hers and reached in to the pocket of my trousers for a leather tie to pull my hair back. Rather than take back her hand when I'd finished, though, I gentley nudged her arm and motioned for her to sit with me.

A cloud of dust settled on my boots as I dug my toes in to the dirt. Looking around nervously, I tore a blade of grass from its home and brought it to my mouth, cupping my hands around it and blowing to mimic the sound of a harmonica. I looked over to see Saja's amused smile and chuckled, dropping the grass to the side.

"Give me anything and I'll make music, Saja." I said, rubbing the side of my cheek for lack of something to occupy my hands, feeling the rough stubble. Between the late meeting last night and today's early morning I hadn't found the time to shave - Aris had to pull me up and out of bed just to get me dressed on time to leave.

Narrowing my eyes through the sun, I dropped my hands to my sides to hold myself up and moved my gaze to Saja. Damn Travis for bringing up how young she was.

Looking her up and down, ignoring the fact that it would be considered bad manners, I took in her appearance. She didn't look that young, that was for sure. She looked older than some of the elder princesses. Perhaps the thought was sinful, but if any sort of God disapproved He would not have made me a man.

Sighing, I averted my gaze to the lake, only to have my attention brought back with a nudge from her notebook.

~What's wrong?~ she asked in her well-practiced, beautiful script.

I could have lied or I could have said nothing was wrong, but if I had I wouldn't be myself. I instead asked, "How old are you, Saja? Fifteen? Sixteen?"

~Fifteen~ she wrote, narrowing her eyes at me in question.

Squinting, I brought a hand back up to my face and rubbed the back of my fingers against my cheek self consciously, dropping my hand once more before saying, "Do you know how old I am? I'm sure you do. I have twenty years to my name, twenty-one coming in a couple months, this August. Clever name, huh? But I suppose that's beside the point."

Turning my body to face her, I leaned closer and whispered, "I'm nearly six years your elder. When I started thinking about girls you were still playing with your dolls, do you understand?"

A frown creased her forehead as she quickly scrawled on her notebook, the unhappiness tugging at the corners of her mouth exposed as she showed me her note, ~You don't want me because I'm too young, is that it?~

The moment I finished reading I snatched it from her hands and hurled it behind her, scooping both of her hands in to one of mine to silence her and rushed out, "Don't you put words in my mouth, Saja! I never said I didn't want you. I just fought eight sets of royal parents to keep you, don't you ever think I don't want you."

Releasing her hands I turned abruptly to face the lake again, tears stinging my eyes, "Do you know what I did when I was fifteen, Saja? Nothing. I was trained for war but it was abstract to me then." Tears shamelessly began to flood over my lids and I made no effort to keep them back, always being partial to showing emotion. "When I was fifteen I was out running in the woods, hunting, teaching myself new things, discovering my surroundings. Five years later and your fifteen, great. My childhood ended the second I went to my first battle but that was years after I was fifteen. But you...what does everyone expect me to do, take years from your childhood so you can be my wife and rule by my side and bare my children? I can't do that to you! But how do I keep you for myself and not touch you, Saja?"

She looked at me hard for a moment then began to tear at the grass to reach the dirt, on which she began to write ....

*take it away, Shadow! Hope this was all alright xD*
*I also figured Jackson and Aris would find their way over after August and Saja settled things....or before, doesn't matter to me :D*

42 Reviews

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 pm
Shadowlight says...

Saja:

Augusts anger frightened me, he threw my book away and for a moment I was afraid he was going to strike me...

"Don't you put words in my mouth, Saja! I never said I didn't want you. I just fought eight sets of royal parents to keep you, don't you ever think I don't want you." He let go of my hands ad turned away. His jaw working and he was blinking hard- as if he had something in his eye.

"Do you know what I did when I was fifteen, Saja? Nothing. I was trained for war but it was abstract to me then." I watched him, trying to understand him, then to my horror August began to cry! My heart gave a painful twist- Rhay cried, he always was upset and sad about something- I couldn't let august be sad! I couldn't help Rhay but I didn't want to make August sad too. His voice startled my thoughts into silence.

"When I was fifteen I was out running in the woods, hunting, teaching myself new things, discovering my surroundings. Five years later and your fifteen, great. My childhood ended the second I went to my first battle but that was years after I was fifteen. But you...what does everyone expect me to do, take years from your childhood so you can be my wife and rule by my side and bare my children? I can't do that to you! But how do I keep you for myself and not touch you, Saja?"

I was startled, I hadn't thought about this part.... about what being his wife really meant. I looked at him seriously. He was a good and kind man- I had heard my parents talking about him earlier that morning- Daddy liked him and so did mama, they trusted him. He was a good and honorable man- but was I ready to be his wife? I looked down at the grass. Was I ready to lay with him in his bed? Make love to him? Bare his children and be his queen? I felt my cheeks heat up. I was growing up, I knew that.... I had always had thoughts of this time- but none of them were serious. None of them were like what August had been saying.

In some kingdoms being fifteen meant still being a child, it didn't in Draconia but I was still young. Was I ready to be his wife? I thought hard about it- looking up into Augusts eyes. Was I ready to share my life with him? A room with him?....a bed with him? I thought I was, He wouldn't hurt me, and I really liked him. C-could I make love to him? Do those kinds of wifely duties? My cheeks felt as if they were on fire. Y-yes, I wouldn't mind doing those kinds of things with August- but only after we were married. I thought I was ready- but did he? I had to make him know, make him understand.....

Pulling at the grass at out feet I exposed the dirt- he had thrown my little book away- and I began to write in the dirt, forming the letters were hard and I scratched it out more then once.

“Do you want me to get your book Saja?” I shook my head- what good was a book when I couldn't write just what I felt in my heart.....in my heart! The idea hit me like a bolt of lightening and moving quickly before August could say no- I climbed into his lap- cupping his face in my hands and rested my brow against his.

“S-saja?!” He cried- hands going to my waist to push me off- but I held on. I could talk with Tam my dragon with my thoughts- maybe, just maybe I could with August. I closed my eyes and focused on him, trying to show him my thoughts, my heart- my real feelings. “Saja what are you do-” his words were cut off by his gasp as the floodgates of my mind opened and touched his. Memories, feelings, thoughts, emotions- all of it. You can't hide with this kind of communication- but I knew no other way to let him know how I felt- to show him I was ready. I was baring my soul to him in a very real way- I just prayed it didn't scare him.

Spoiler! :
I'm assuming those in Draconia learn and are affected by their dragons magic a little bit. if this isn't okay I will edit.

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne