z

Young Writers Society

Time Turnes Backwards DT

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 am
therealme says...

Well first of all, what country do we all want to be in? It doesn't seem that believable for all of us to be in the same country but I think it's the only way we can all end up together.
"It is our Light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

It could be a really huge festival. Presently Lukas is in Arizona (the states). . . .

I can post again when I know where I'm going.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 pm
artsy says...

I'm okay with a country that has one of the main languages as English, which isn't very specific xD

I also found this little piece of information when I searched cultures that celebrated the winter solstice.
Saturnalia in Ancient Rome

In Ancient Rome the winter (December) solstice festival Saturnalia began on December 17 and lasted for seven days. It was held to honor Saturn, the father of the gods and was characterized by the suspension of discipline and reversal of the usual order. Grudges and quarrels were forgotten while businesses, courts and schools were closed. Wars were interrupted or postponed and slaves were served by their masters. Masquerades often occurred during this time.

It was traditional to offer gifts of imitation fruit (a symbol of fertility), dolls (symbolic of the custom of human sacrifice), and candles (reminiscent of the bonfires traditionally associated with pagan solstice celebrations). A mock king was chosen, usually from a group of slaves or criminals, and although he was permitted to behave in an unrestrained manner for seven days of the festival, he was usually killed at the end. The Saturnalia eventually degenerated into a week-long spree of debauchery and crime – giving rise to the modern use of the tern saturnalia, meaning a period of unrestrained license and revelry.

source - http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/december-solstice-customs.html
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

303 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:04 am
StoneHeart says...

That's charming Artsy . . . do you suggest we implement it in present times?

If so then I'm NOT going to be king.

:P

WE NEED A PLACE TO MEET, GUYS!

60 Reviews

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 am
View Likes
therealme says...

Okay! I have the event :)

The Quebec Winter Carnival in Canada

It is known as the biggest winter festival in the world. The festival's events include a winter amusement park, with attractions such as skiing, snow rafting, ice sculptures, fireworks, snow sled slides, outdoor shows and street parades. Normally the carnival is held in February, but in our storybook it can be held in December as that is when the actual winter solstice is on.

If you would like extra information about the carnival here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Winter_Carnival

So this is how it'll work:
All of us will end up going to the Quebec Winter Carnival, whether we like it or not. Maybe because of destiny? Maybe because of coincidence? Maybe because it's just a really big festival and everyone is going? It's up to you to figure out how and why your character gets there. This way our characters can each be in their preferred countries at the beginning and we won't have to all agree on only one country.

What happens once we get there?
The carnival will be held on the 21st of December 2012. Our characters will simply enjoy (or not enjoy) the festival and all the wonderful things happening. The Carnival is a night-time event (as the night will be the longest of the year) and it will start roughly around 6pm. During the fun mood of the party the characters may or may not run into each other (it doesn't really matter at this point in time).

Then at 11:11pm that night, thing start getting awfully weird...
Time freezes. It just stops; everything stops. Except you. The entire world is frozen still. People are in mid-jump - hovering in the air, the liquid contents of a cup that recently got knocked over is stretched out in motionless droplets, and you're just standing there looking at it all like WTF. Time is frozen for perhaps ten seconds until everything starts moving again, going back to normal. You ask people if they saw what you just saw, but they shake their heads and look at you as if you're crazy. Eventually you doubt yourself and wonder whether you've just had a little too much to drink or something. The hours drag on and nothing out of the ordinary seems to happen, until you notice that the sky is getting lighter a lot quicker than it normally would...

How will your character react to this?
The majority of the characters will most likely think that morning is near and that time must have just slipped away from having so much fun. If your character is smart however, they will notice that the sun is rising from the west instead of the east, kind of like time is going backwards (and it is, but they don't know that yet). Over time the characters will feel as if they're experiencing some kind of déjà vu and start to ask themselves questions.

But wait a sec, how do the characters meet up?
Clocks. Whether it be their watch, a grand town clock, or a cuckoo clock, as long as it has three hands and ticks it shall lead the way. The idea is that right after 11:11pm that night, clocks start behaving weirdly (or weirder than normal). Every clock in about a ten foot radius of each character begins to act like a compass, pointing to the nearest three people who also have the ability to not grow younger (the hour hand being the shortest distance away, the minute hand being the second shortest, and the second hand being the furthest of the three). This is how we will all come together to start our great journey.

Any questions or suggestions? Please let me know :)

303 Reviews

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:31 pm
StoneHeart says...

Cool . . . so how long till this festival? Three days? A week?

And also, only an idiot wouldn't notice a backwards sunrise. :P

60 Reviews

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:41 am
therealme says...

Well judging from the posts we've had so far, I'm guessing it is the morning of the 14th of December, so we still have a week until the festival starts.

303 Reviews

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:00 am
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

Okay. I'll get a post together as soon as I can, maybe my guy hearing about it and planning to go. >>

45 Reviews

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 pm
View Likes
artsy says...

I'm liking this idea. ^.^
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

60 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:06 am
therealme says...

Awesome! Keep on posting guys!

As for those who haven't posted yet - Mjdwrite, Carina, Rydia, littleauthor, umaima and Ignorance - sit your lazy asses down, hands on the keyboard, and write! hahaha xD
But seriously, post something! Otherwise I might just have to remove your character from the storybook (I don't mean to sound harsh, does that sound too harsh?)

Just so everyone knows, I don't think I will be able to post again until Rydia has made a post, only because my character (Lexi) would have to know what Afton needs to talk to her about.

@Rydia:
Spoiler! :
I think one of the things that Afton should talk about is the Quebec Winter Carnival so that we can keep that moving in the right direction :)

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Sorry! D:
I've actually already read all the DT/SB posts like a ninja, but recently my life has been pretty busy with plans, so I haven't got around to posting yet. x_x
I'll most definitely try to get one in this week, and the winter festival sounds great. :)
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I will be posting today so Afton will do lots of talking about Lexi @therealme and the festival :D

Sorry about the delay, work has been killer this week, but it should be letting up now.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:30 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Finally got it in! :]

So, Scott's relation with time is that he has a hard time remembering things in the past. Not all that powerful and wonderful and holy, but...neither is he, lol.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

45 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm
View Likes
artsy says...

That was actually a really entertaining post to read, haha xD

No dead brain cells here. All of them are laughing and are entertained. :D
~
Will Review For Food

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Then that's rad, dude. 8)

Haha, but that's great to hear. He's going to serve as a big comic relief character.
Until he finds out that his past self assassinated a president. >_>
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour